PDA

View Full Version : Failing rear shock or too many doughnuts?

NorCalBud
06-26-2015, 12:52 PM
My wife and I ryde 2 up a lot, but only recently noticed the tryke scraping/bottom out over speed bumps. I don't recall having done that before... I admit that we are heavy, Maybe a combined 415lbs,:opps: but we've even lost a few lbs over the last few months:clap:.

I understand that this is a potentially embarrassing discussion for some (We're all adults here....I'm fat and I know it), but is our shock failing or are we just too heavy? The suspension is fully inflated, but still scrapes...

Thoughts? --- '12 RTLtd

ARtraveler
06-26-2015, 12:56 PM
My wife and I ryde 2 up a lot, but only recently noticed the tryke scraping/bottom out over speed bumps. I don't recall having done that before... I admit that we are heavy, Maybe a combined 415lbs,:opps: but we've even lost a few lbs over the last few months:clap:.

I understand that this is a potentially embarrassing discussion for some (We're all adults here....I'm fat and I know it), but is our shock failing or are we just too heavy? The suspension is fully inflated, but still scrapes...

Thoughts? --- '12 RTLtd

It's not you folks. The max allowed is 494# for passengers and cargo. You have almost 80# before you max out.

The mechanical people will give you a hand here. :popcorn::popcorn:

Bob Denman
06-26-2015, 01:19 PM
:shocked: Are you SURE that the ACS is doing it's thing? :dontknow:
Since the bike has to be in gear, for it to operate; it's tough to listen to it run...
Perhaps you should have your dealer take a look at it.
It might be the shock, the airbag, or the compressor... :shocked:

NorCalBud
06-26-2015, 03:19 PM
:shocked: Are you SURE that the ACS is doing it's thing? :dontknow:
Since the bike has to be in gear, for it to operate; it's tough to listen to it run...
Perhaps you should have your dealer take a look at it.
It might be the shock, the airbag, or the compressor... :shocked:

Now that you mention it, I used to hear/feel the compressor when we'd stop at lights...but I don't remember hearing/feeling it lately....
I do know that the indicator on the display goes up and down when pushing the switch on the console. I guess that just indicates the setting, not whether it's working...
Are you supposed to feel it rise or fall when changing the settings?

Bob Denman
06-26-2015, 05:04 PM
Unless you're very observant; you probably won't...
Every once in a while; I'll notice the change in my ability to see over the windshield, as the bike pumps itself up and gets ready for the ride... :thumbup:

Highwayman2013
06-26-2015, 06:21 PM
The leveling arm could be off . Take a look on the top of the swing arm on the left side.110380

spacetiger
06-26-2015, 09:46 PM
You just need a heavier duty rear spring.

This is what I did for my 12012 RTS when I had it: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?61674-2012-RT-S-SE5-Rear-Suspension-%28shock%29

I would guess you need a 1,100 lb/in spring.

Jerry

Doc - Riverside
06-27-2015, 08:26 AM

Thoughts? --- '12 RTLtd

You say scraping and bottoming out over speed bumps. The scraping is the front correct and the bottoming out is the rear? If that is the case I believe you need a new set of shocks front and rear that are set up with heavier springs. With the air bag deflated the shocks should do there job correctly just like in your car. The air bag is not a shock per say, it is there to smooth out the ride. Pumping the air bag up will mask the problem of a rear shock. Been there done that. My rear shock would bottom out on a a quick bump in the road but if I inflated the bag more it went away. Finally replaced the shock and the issue went away even with the air bag setting lowered. Bottom line here is don't use the air bag to hide a rear shock problem, replace the shock.

finless
06-27-2015, 08:47 AM
If the switch is working this usually shows the compressor is doing its job. Usually if it stops working when you use the adjustment switch, it will display "manual mode". If it displays that then either the compressor is not working or the swing arm sensor is not working.

Bob

spyderbirds
06-27-2015, 09:05 AM
Wore out the original and one replacement rear stock shock on our 2010 RT before we put an Elka on it.

Big ride difference with the Elka, it was worth the extra $ to us.

NorCalBud
06-29-2015, 12:19 PM
If the switch is working this usually shows the compressor is doing its job. Usually if it stops working when you use the adjustment switch, it will display "manual mode". If it displays that then either the compressor is not working or the swing arm sensor is not working.

Bob

I've seen both "Manual Mode" in orange being displayed and once I reboot/restart I see the correct "Ladder" style indicator again. This occurred a couple of times over the last week. I have yet to hear the compressor kick on no matter how much I raise/lower via the switch. I guess it's broke...

I've got an appt. to have the Air Scoops put on this Thursday and I'll have them check it out.

I'll let y'all know the results! Thanks for the input everyone!

Frank G
07-07-2015, 06:52 AM
There is a lot of good information, from many members, on the ACS suspension on the Limited models in this thread. This last weekend the wife and I took a Day ride and about halfway into it the ACS system died (again). For the second time (about a year apart) it turned out to be the 20 Amp fuse that controls the horn, grip heaters , and ACS. The thing to remember here is if you get the "Manual Mode" on the dash when trying to adjust the suspension, TOOT THE HORN. If it does not work, check the fuse in the front fuse box.

NorCalBud
07-22-2015, 05:58 PM
So I finally got the tryke down to my local dealer to get this checked out and to get the scoops installed. I was just told that the compressor did indeed take a digger and they've had to order a new one. I'm hopeful that I'll have The Capt'n back by Friday. Then it's off to find a speed-bump for testing! :)
Thanks for all of the advice y'all!