PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy, but having doubts

Mrgimpy
06-26-2015, 01:23 AM
Hi! New guy here! I'm really glad to come across this site first off! Second, I'm lookingg to buy, but it just seems way to expensive. I've looked at trikes, spyders, scooters, etc. And it all seems out of my league! I'm on a somewhat fixed income and can't afford all the extras for any of it! It's it possible to find a spyder with handbrake adapter fir under $10k? I'm frazzled and on my wits end looking. I found one in Roseville CA, but that's like 3k miles away lol! I'm a double amputee dying to ride, but losing hope I ever will. Any input our advice would be appreciated!

ARtraveler
06-26-2015, 01:48 AM
Hi! New guy here! I'm really glad to come across this site first off! Second, I'm lookingg to buy, but it just seems way to expensive. I've looked at trikes, spyders, scooters, etc. And it all seems out of my league! I'm on a somewhat fixed income and can't afford all the extras for any of it! It's it possible to find a spyder with handbrake adapter fir under $10k? I'm frazzled and on my wits end looking. I found one in Roseville CA, but that's like 3k miles away lol! I'm a double amputee dying to ride, but losing hope I ever will. Any input our advice would be appreciated!

:welcome:You do have a good search on your hands here. There are a lot of helpful people on board--so give this a day or so and you may be pleasantly surprised.

One disadvantage of :spyder2: ownership is the upkeep and maintenance. If you are not a :ani29: mechanic, it is best serviced at a Can Am dealership.

$350 for an oil change/filter service.
Usually over $300 for a new rear tire--including install.
Etc., etc.

Have you given our for sale thread a look over? There is also an enabled rider section of the forum. Not sure if there are any currently with the ISCI handbrake system--but maybe you will get lucky. I understand they cost about $1K plus new.

$10K will most likely buy you a 2008 or 2009 RS version--including the special handbrake. There are some good ones still around. Figure $7,500 ballpark for a 2008 or $8,500 ballpark for a 2009. That is what most seem to be going for.

I am sure that some members will come on and point you in the right direction.

Happy hunting. Do not hesitate to ask questions.

ARtraveler
06-26-2015, 12:49 PM
A bump for the queue so that others may chime in.

roller
06-27-2015, 07:23 AM
Hey Mr G. Couple things to consider... If you keep track of all the spyder's for sale in your area on craigs, cycle trader, ebay etc. Watch to see which ones have been for sale for a long time, what people are asking for them and what they may be willing to take can be two different prices. Also on the handbrakes, keep an eye for a used one and just be sure it's a complete unit and that it is the correct unit for your year/model. Should also check with the company in Alabama who makes them, they probably get the odd trade in system from someone switching to a newer or bigger model Spyder.

Hope you find one
roller:thumbup: