PDA

View Full Version : Hello, Thanks, and first dealings with BRP

Reddog
06-24-2015, 05:30 PM
Hello is because this is my first post. Thanks is for all the valuable information I've found on this site while lurking for the last year and a half. My wife became interested in Spyders late in 2013, and she bought a new 2014 RT last year. On the rare occasions she would let me ride it, I too became addicted. So I bought a new 2015 RT that matches hers. We are having a blast and enjoying the heck out of the Spyders.
As to my first dealing with BRP - after a couple hundred mile ride I decided to check the oil in the 2015. As its been a while since I checked the oil level in my wifes 2014 (hers was just recently serviced) I needed to check the manual as I seemed to recall there was a length of time you needed to let the engine idle after it was up to operating temp, before checking the oil. So I pulled out the trusty operators manual for the 2015 which states you must drive the bike for at least 9 miles, park on level ground then let the engine idle for ten (10) minutes, then check the oil within 2 minutes of turning engine off. The ten minutes of idling seemed excessive, but that's what I did. Out of curiosity I pulled out the 2014 owners manual and there are different instructions. It said to bring the engine to operating temp, park on level surface, let engine idle 30 seconds, shut off and check level.
I had thought that there was no difference between the two engines, so I was confused as to why the instructions were different - especially since the ten minutes of idling after the engine was already at operating temp seemed unreasonable. Having over 40 years experience owning and riding a wide variety of motorcycles, I prefer to get info from the manufacturer, rather than mechanics at dealerships, which can vary widely on any subject. So last night I sent an e-mail to BRP inquiring why the procedures were different since the bikes were exactly the same and 10 minutes of idling seemed excessive. I received the following reply today:
"Thank you for taking the time to contact BRP.

In response to your request, the procedures differ depending on the year of the Spyder so it would be wise to follow the instructions in the operator 's guide as they are specific for each unit.

Should you have any other questions or comments, do not hesitate to reach us by replying to this email or at T + 888.272.9222.

Once again, thank you for contacting BRP,"

This is not exactly the response I expected. Bottom line is these are expensive machines, and they are the manufacturer, so I will do as they say. However, after warming up the 2015 to check the oil, you can rest assured that while it is idling for 10 minutes, I'll be standing there wondering - why am I doing this?
All of this aside the Spyders are great machines and as stated above we really like and are enjoying them.
Bill
PS- now you also know why I am a lurker rather than a poster - I can say it in a few words, but sure can't write it in a few words.

Pennyrick
06-24-2015, 05:41 PM
If it was me, I would not be satisfied with that answer and I would send a follow up asking why they did not address the question that was asked..... or, "please let me know the specific differences between the two models using the same engine that would impact this procedure".

But then I like to write.

ARtraveler
06-24-2015, 06:14 PM
Also sounds like a question dodge to me. Idle for 10 minutes does not seem right in my book either. I like the 2014 instructions better. :yes::yes:

It looks like someone at BRP spoke before putting mind in gear. :roflblack::roflblack:

Can't wait to see how the answer comes out.

tigerdr
06-24-2015, 09:33 PM
I check in the french version of the operator guide manual ( just in case it was different from the english version). Here what I found on how to check oil.

After your ride (engine is warm) or when you see your temp gauge at normal operating position, do the following:

1) Stop the engine
2) Remove the access panel where your oil dipstick is located
3) Start the engine for 30 seconds at idle speed
4) Stop the engine
5) Check your oil level.

jerseyspyder
06-24-2015, 09:54 PM
I checked the 2014 operator manual on the BRP website and the procedure is the same as you described for your 2015; that is ride 9 mi. park on level ground. idle for 10 min. and check oil level within 2 min. of engine shutdown.
I too am concerned with letting the engine idle for 10 min. as it goes against everything I have learned about engines and just letting them idle. It is also against the law in NJ to idle an engine for more than 3 min. and finally when I bring my favorite toy in for service, always the night before the service appt. date, does the dealer perform all these steps when he/she checks the oil level?

JayBros
06-24-2015, 09:55 PM
Welcome to the gaffed off question club; have been there several times myself. Regarding your oil level checking questions I suggest you read the two links below in order listed. Steve is the best, most accurate BRP source we have second only to technical communications to dealers that we don't regularly see. I personally believe there is some severe stove piping in the company and as a result the people who answer the phone and/or emails have extremely limited access to the most up to date information.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?73737-Proper-Oil-Level-Verification-Procedure-on-1330-engined-Spyders&highlight=1330+engine+level+verification

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?82580-Oil-Level-on-1330-engined-Spyders-Chapter-II&highlight=1330+engine+level+verification

Bob Denman
06-25-2015, 06:57 AM
:D We ARE kidding; aren't we? :shocked:

Reddog
06-25-2015, 10:19 AM
Thanks to all for the info. JayBros- thanks especially for the previous posts. I did a search before posting but only saw the part 2 of the discussion, the first one you listed answered my question. We are very fortunate to have Steve from BRP on this site, he seems honest and forthcoming with info.
Again as stated the spyder is awesome and we are thoroughly enjoying them. My past experience - that an owners forum is the best place to go for info is certainly re-enforced by this site.
The only thing I find disheartening is that BRP did not notify 2014 owners that they changed the way they want you to check the oil level. I just feel that every purchaser should be given the same information - then they can decide for themselves what they want to do and how they want to check their oil.
Loving the spyder and hoping to see some of you on the road.
Bill

Ex Winger
06-25-2015, 11:37 AM
I guess after a ride Let bike idle.Have cold beer.Then check oil

ARtraveler
06-25-2015, 12:03 PM
Crow sandwich time. :roflblack::roflblack:

My post above was in error.

My apologies to BRP.

I do not miss to much that goes on with the site.

Post #6 covers the procedure in black and white. Ten minute idle time it is. :bowdown: