PDA

View Full Version : Smoke when New ?

WEB-WVR
06-24-2015, 03:21 PM
So my Spyder is new...the V-twin. I got it in April and have not rode it much due to my wife's 2 surgeries and recovery. 140 miles on it.

I pulled it out today; started it up, checked the oil and air pressure....pre-ride safety stuff for Friday and a weekend ride.

The engine had smoke emitting from it mainly out the right side vents/right vent with the fan. I would call it a very light grey smoke but it was noticeable. I did not notice this when I left the dealer (but then I did not let it sit and run either). :yikes:

Do I have something to be concerned about or is this normal oils and matter "burning" off of new parts....which is my hope and my presumption. :shocked:

Have you seen this ? Opinions ?

Thanks Spyder peeps ! :thumbup:

Bob Denman
06-24-2015, 04:48 PM
:shocked: That's not normal... please have your dealer take a look at it...
I hope that your Wife is recuperating okay...

bruiser
06-24-2015, 05:12 PM
My F3 looked like it was on fire when the tech brought it back from the pre delivery ride. I figured it was "new" burnoff. Rode it the 95 miles home with two stops enroute. Each restart it smoked less. Didn't smoke at all on the first ride after sitting three days. Did the smoke clear up?

WEB-WVR
06-24-2015, 09:20 PM
My F3 looked like it was on fire when the tech brought it back from the pre delivery ride. I figured it was "new" burnoff. Rode it the 95 miles home with two stops enroute. Each restart it smoked less. Didn't smoke at all on the first ride after sitting three days. Did the smoke clear up?

First, thanks for the reply. So it sounds like mine was doing what yours did.

When I picked it up new from the Dealer...I did a few spins around the parking lot and it did not smoke. When it was time to ride home, I started it up and off we went (I did not let it sit)...I did not notice or smell any smoking but we were at 55mph on a 25 mile trip to home.

Today....just letting it run in the driveway and it smoked as I described.....I presumed it was new burn off, which you do sometimes smell on new engines.

If the oil was overfilled....you would think there would have been issues on the ride home from the dealer.

I hope it clears up like yours as I have not run it again.....I wanted to hear from the Pros here.

Hoping for some more responses ! :thumbup:

Rockwall
06-24-2015, 09:23 PM
Never heard of that before.

WEB-WVR
06-24-2015, 09:42 PM

Did the Tech say what he thought it was ? Thanks. :2thumbs:

SpyderAnn01
06-24-2015, 10:59 PM
I was told there is done kind of costing used on some of the parts and it does smell as it burns off. My 13 & 14 both had the smell but j do not remember smoke.

WEB-WVR
06-25-2015, 08:27 PM
Any other opinions on what this could be ? Comes out the right side area where the fan is.

WEB-WVR
06-26-2015, 05:20 PM
JerryB from here came down and we rode a little/met for lunch. The Spyder did not smoke on start and warm up like a few days ago. Jerry noticed a little smoke for a while, while we were riding not coming from the exhaust but from the right side.

It went away. No problem on start up and return home.

We presumed it was new manufacturer burn off of lubricants/oils.

Seems like all is well.........did not need the F.D. anyway ! :bbq:

Bob Denman
06-26-2015, 05:25 PM
:congrats: It sounds as if the Good News landed just in time for the weekend! :yes: :2thumbs:

WEB-WVR
06-26-2015, 06:18 PM
:congrats: It sounds as if the Good News landed just in time for the weekend! :yes: :2thumbs:

Yes it did....no need for the FD so I am happy ! Have a safe weekend everyone ! :thumbup: