PDA

View Full Version : Extended warranty?

TONI
12-22-2008, 02:09 PM
When I bought the Spyder last week the dealer offered me the extended warranty which added another 3 years to the 2 years on it as new. He said it would cost $899 but would cover every thing that the 2 yr warranty covers and I would thus have 5 yr warranty. Has anyone bought the extended warranty if so what was the cost? Thanks.

FANG
12-22-2008, 02:12 PM
Hey Toni;

Is your dealer Jimmie at Pensacola Motorsports? If so, that is when I bought my :spyder:. I purchased the extended warranty for 899 and I have the piece of mind for the additional 3 yrs. Mainly did itr because to the three on board computers. Figure if I have to relace 1 of them I have made my money back. It's all a gamble - like buying insurance. :dontknow:

Bill

SpyderRider2492
12-22-2008, 02:27 PM
To avoid the worry, 'specialy as its a new item on the block, take the extra warranty, I have always done so on all my vehicles and had to use this twice, the bill on my Ultra was over $4,000 and my Dodge just over $3.000 and lucky for me the total outlay for both extended items was $600 on the Ultra and $399 on the car. Thats some big savings.

If you ride and put on miles, just do it and feel better, as this is such and enjoyable machine, but have one of the most complicated electronics I have ever come accross.

NancysToy
12-22-2008, 04:12 PM
We bought ours in March, and the warranty was about that same price. Also adds road service from square one, which the standard warranty does not cover. Worth it to me, with this much electronics on board.
-Scotty

M2Wild
12-22-2008, 04:25 PM
It's always nice to have a little extra insurance when you are on the cutting edge of technology. The toy won't be as much fun after you have to shell out multitude thousands of dollars.

bjt
12-22-2008, 05:36 PM
dltang and I got it on our Spyders too. Probably around the same price as what you paid Toni.

Roaddog2
12-22-2008, 06:56 PM
It's always nice to have a little extra insurance when you are on the cutting edge of technology. The toy won't be as much fun after you have to shell out multitude thousands of dollars.
welcome:thumbup:Thinking about it since you could buy it during the 2 years.I figure I still have some time and mine has been in the Hospital a few times already so probaly will :thumbup:

SpyderByter
12-22-2008, 07:18 PM
"Worth it to me, with this much electronics on board"

:agree:I bought it myself for the same reason.

Questions
12-22-2008, 10:20 PM
Hello,
I've bought this extended warranty. It costed me 1,050.00$ canadian, because I lived in Québec, Canada. Its around 875,00$u.s.
Yvon

BRPjunkie
12-22-2008, 10:48 PM
I paid $1,000, but this is one trick pony that has lots of trick parts. I would go with BRP factory version. Some dealers offer their own warranty, but if you travel far and wide, factory plan offers broader coverage and BRP should be there for five years. It's tough times for dealers and a few have got caught in credit cruch and filed for bankruptcy.

Blackwidow74
12-23-2008, 03:10 AM
:agree::2thumbs: Definately worth it, spyder parts are very exspensive.

bone crusher
12-23-2008, 04:17 AM
Haven't bought it yet but you can until your 2 years runs out...without penalty...will get it before then...no question about it!

M2Wild
12-23-2008, 11:20 AM
mine has been in the Hospital a few times already so probaly will :thumbup:

What happened to yours? Which dealer did you take it to? I am from CT also and don't know which dealers have good Spyder mech.

TONI
12-23-2008, 09:54 PM
'''Hey Toni;

Is your dealer Jimmie at Pensacola Motorsports? If so, that is when I bought my :spyder:. I purchased the extended warranty for 899 and I have the piece of mind for the additional 3 yrs. Mainly did itr because to the three on board computers. Figure if I have to relace 1 of them I have made my money back. It's all a gamble - like buying insurance. :dontknow:

Bill[/quote]'''

Bill, yes Jimmy at Pens Motorsports. But he told me that if you wait past either 30 or 60 days (I forget which) there is a penalty of $100. Anyone else heard of that or is he giving me a line? I plan to call and see how many days i have before I make a decision, but Iwould rather wait a couple months or year to fork out that much $$, but dont want to have to pay an additional $100.

BRPjunkie
12-23-2008, 10:42 PM
'''Hey Toni;

Bill'''

Bill, yes Jimmy at Pens Motorsports. But he told me that if you wait past either 30 or 60 days (I forget which) there is a penalty of $100. Anyone else heard of that or is he giving me a line? I plan to call and see how many days i have before I make a decision, but Iwould rather wait a couple months or year to fork out that much $$, but dont want to have to pay an additional $100.[/quote]

It may cost you more than that. While you have two years to add the BRP BEST coverage, they can change the price at any time. If they have early experience from warranty claims they will raise the price for the extra coverage.

SpyderByter
12-23-2008, 10:54 PM
What happened to yours? Which dealer did you take it to? I am from CT also and don't know which dealers have good Spyder mech.

I deal with Land n' Sea Marine in Waterbury, CT. I have not had to use thier mechs, except for the assembly and acc installs. But the owners are solid guys and i am sure they would back up thier work.

FANG
12-24-2008, 12:17 AM
'''

Bill, yes Jimmy at Pens Motorsports. But he told me that if you wait past either 30 or 60 days (I forget which) there is a penalty of $100. Anyone else heard of that or is he giving me a line? I plan to call and see how many days i have before I make a decision, but Iwould rather wait a couple months or year to fork out that much $$, but dont want to have to pay an additional $100.

It may cost you more than that. While you have two years to add the BRP BEST coverage, they can change the price at any time. If they have early experience from warranty claims they will raise the price for the extra coverage.[/quote]

From what I understand there is not supposed to be a penalty for waiting to purchase. BRP say it cn be purchased at anytime before the 2 year original warranty runs out. May be a dealer up charge?? http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Confused/confused-8.gif I purchased mine at the time I closed my deal so no one mentioned an extra $100.

caymanbob
12-25-2008, 09:03 PM
I deal with Land n' Sea Marine in Waterbury, CT. I have not had to use thier mechs, except for the assembly and acc installs. But the owners are solid guys and i am sure they would back up thier work.
I also purchased my Spyder from Land & Sea. I received mine in Oct. and waiting till Spring to bring in for service.
They are STRAIGHT SHOOTERS, good to deal with.

Good day
CaymanBOB:agree:

LDFIREWORKS
12-25-2008, 09:46 PM
i have mine for about 6 months and did not but ewp, so far no problems at all but i guess it would be a good idea to buy it before i need it and dont have it is the going price $899.00 does anybody know of anything different, on a side note just put a corbin seat front and back w/ 2 back rests and really like it alot thats just a side note [left side]:2thumbs:welcome

bone crusher
12-26-2008, 12:44 AM
I wonder if we can get the extended warranty cheaper...hmm...I'll look around...

dbnc
12-26-2008, 10:41 AM
There is an extra charge for the extended warranty past 60 days of registration.. BRP charges the dealer an extra $100 and they pass it on to the customer of course.. Also as already stated you have 2 years to purchase but as we all know the price of items don't always remain the same.. As their loss ratios increase so will the price..

What you can buy today may end up costing you 300-400 more if you decide to wait.. Since the bike was released the end of 2007 there has already been one price increase for the warranty so if interested current day prices are lower especially if within the 60 day new window..

Buying the warranty is well worth the investment... JMHO

The rumor that there is a $100 surcharge after 60 days is a FACT (from BRP)..

LDFIREWORKS
12-26-2008, 05:30 PM
LET US KNOW:chat:

northramp
12-31-2008, 11:37 AM
This is a timely thread.:thumbup:

Is the warranty offered by BRP:
Transferable to all subsequent owners within the time period ?

Does it cover the cost of towing if u break down on the road?.?

Does it cover everything on the bike outside of wear and tear?

Is there a deductable?

Scotty : I admire your insight ..so can u help here ?

I m about to take the plunge ...

Happy new year everyone

Northramp..

BRPjunkie
12-31-2008, 12:02 PM
[quote=northramp;66411]This is a timely thread.:thumbup:

Is there a deductable?

BEST coverage is transferable at no cost to subsequent buyer.

Covers roadside assistance for towing, battery, flat tires, gas, etc. with no deductibe for roadside service, however, there is a $200 limit on charges per event.

Covers all parts and labro excluding normal wear and tear or failures caused by use of non BRP parts or accessories or failure to perform periodic maintenance.

There is a $50 deductible for each covered repair

northramp
12-31-2008, 12:14 PM
Thanks BRPJunkie..:2thumbs:
What s the current price set by BRP ?
Are we still at the $890 Level?
Northramp

M2Wild
12-31-2008, 01:19 PM
I've heard people paying as much as $1,750 for the 3-Year extension.

NancysToy
12-31-2008, 01:26 PM
This is a timely thread.:thumbup:

Yes.

Yes, to nearest dealer ($200 limit).

Yes, except for normal wear items like bulbs, batteries, filters, tires, etc.

Is there a deductable?
Yes, $50, after the normal warranty expires.

Happy new year everyone

Northramp..

More info at http://www.brp.com/en-US/Related.Products/Extended.Service.htm

Brochure at http://www.brp.com/NR/rdonlyres/5F9CA3D2-CD79-4CA2-9CF3-B47208FFEAFC/0/BEST_Protection_enUS.pdf

-Scotty

northramp
12-31-2008, 01:35 PM
Well I m told that BRP had a "special" on the 2008 models that supported the $899 price .. now i m getting numbers that range from $1090 to $1390 :hun:for the BRP same coverage on the 2009 models .....anybody have more insight?

Then the direct private insurers have gotten into this can of worms with a $750 36 month quote.:banghead:

Any insight out there ?? I understandably don t wish to overpay.

brutus450
12-31-2008, 05:41 PM
i got the 3 year warranty for free in my deal. Also got a free helmet all for 15,000 OTD

Just tell em you want it free if they wanna sell the bike

BRPjunkie
12-31-2008, 10:01 PM
Well I m told that BRP had a "special" on the 2008 models that supported the $899 price .. now i m getting numbers that range from $1090 to $1390 :hun:for the BRP same coverage on the 2009 models .....anybody have more insight?

Then the direct private insurers have gotten into this can of worms with a $750 36 month quote.:banghead:

Be careful with private insurers. They can disappear faster than a wall street banker. In addition, dealer does not have to honor private insurance and may make you pay and get money back from private provider. Best bet for peace of mind is to go with BRP coverage if you decide you want to extend warranty.

BRPjunkie
12-31-2008, 10:08 PM
i got the 3 year warranty for free in my deal. Also got a free helmet all for 15,000 OTD

Just tell em you want it free if they wanna sell the bike

OTD for less than list price including 3 year warranty, taxes, etc. As Howie Mandell says, "You got a great deal".

GeminiJane
12-31-2008, 10:59 PM
My dealer did not want to offer the BRP extended....I suspect they were getting a better commission off a third party one. BUT, it was a good one (originally priced at $1200 for extra 3 years but when I opted out, they dropped it to $600 saying they were just on the verge of meeting a "dealer quota" that would bump them into a better level, so I took it.) They had shown me the paperwork for it when I pre-purchased, so I researched the third party insurer on the web and they've been in business over 20 years and had good reviews, so I decided to take the chance. The other condition was that I would have to sign up for it at the time of purchase - couldn't opt in at a later date. It is transferable to another owner and I thought that would be a good selling point if I sell before that time.

bjt
01-01-2009, 12:44 PM

Just to add one more thing to your dilemma, I've also read about some dealerships offering their own extended maintenance contracts / warranties that provide other additional coverages and services. (Maybe a combination of their own service contract and a third party warranty?)

I think its a given that dealers can tweak the price of the extended warranties that they sell, even the BRP BEST warranty. I think dltang and I paid closer to $1000 a piece for our BEST Plus warranties while others paid either more or less. Maybe you could try shopping a few different dealerships to see what they would charge for extended warranties. Just be sure you are comparing apples to apples. Some have stated that they got BRP's BEST extended warranty for xxx dollars but they actually got something else sold by their BRP dealer. Not saying a non BRP warranty is bad but no use getting fired up over pricing of two different products.

bone crusher
01-02-2009, 12:46 AM
Many would consider the manufacturers warranty to be better than a third party...sure, the third party is likely cheaper, but with a warranty, like any insurance, you get what you pay for...you don't need to worry about anything until you have a problem...that's when you discover how good of a choice you made...

If you have an issue with your Spyder, I'd think that a BRP insured bike would get faster and better care...then again, who knows...let's hope we all pay whatever and never have to use the darn insurance...

JMHO...

SpyderDog65
01-02-2009, 02:47 AM
When I bought the Spyder last week the dealer offered me the extended warranty which added another 3 years to the 2 years on it as new. He said it would cost $899 but would cover every thing that the 2 yr warranty covers and I would thus have 5 yr warranty. Has anyone bought the extended warranty if so what was the cost? Thanks.
the best warrenty on the spyder at my dealer was 1599 for add 4 years onto current warrenty plus u get roadside asst and towing this is in Sacramento California :) fyi

Red SE5 6spoke rims,1inch riser,Mono seat cover,Venom Exhuast by Motad,NMN Tripleplay Taillights,NMN FenderTips,NMN Carbon Fiber SE5 990 handlebar inserts,Kury ISO Handgrips w/throttleboss,Kury ISO footpegs, Gelpad Seatcover i forget who makes it.Outdoor Cover

BRPjunkie
01-02-2009, 08:07 AM
BRP BEST warranty is recognized nationwide by BRP dealers. If most of your warranty work is at your local dealer, a dealer policy may work out. Out of town or out of state service would probably be easier with the BRP factory extended warranty. Eventualy, we will all get a chance to see how well our warrantty coverage works, or doesn't.

ataDude
01-02-2009, 10:39 AM
If you're not purchasing the extended warranty along with the bike, you are losing your negotiating leverage, IMHO.

In June of last year, the cost to the dealer for the three-year BRP Best warranty (the one without the towing), was a tad less than $550. It did probably go up for 2009 but I do not know how much.

And, BRP doesn't control the end sales price, the dealers do. It is negotiable.