PDA

View Full Version : 3rd brake light on the trunk....

Mazo EMS2
06-22-2015, 05:18 PM
I want to install a third brake light on my trunk. Where are you guys grabbing power for it? It will be for brakes only, no turn/tail. Is there an easy way to access the correct wire somewhere without taking half the back end off:sour:?

Thanks

cuznjohn
06-22-2015, 05:31 PM
you have to remove most of the stuff on the rear end and pull the tail light to access the wires for the light

Bob Denman
06-22-2015, 05:43 PM
Yup! :agree:
If you pop the rear panel off of the bike (8 Torx head screws), it'll give you a START to the process.
One that panel is off, you need to (I think) loosen the support strut for the saddlebag lids. that'll allow you to get to some screws hidden on that inside panel of the saddlebags. remove them, all of the ones that you just exposed from the removal of the back panel, and THEN... you should be able to remove a taillight...
Pick whichever one you want to work off of, and unbolt it. (I think that it's 3 screws for them).
Good luck! :thumbup:

tigerdr
06-22-2015, 06:04 PM
Just follow the instructions and it will be very easy to install.

Bob Denman
06-22-2015, 06:12 PM

:agree:

Mazo EMS2
06-22-2015, 06:13 PM

Didn't order them from anyone, so there isn't instructions. Just bought some sensible LED's. So far I have $16 invested, and hopefully a couple hrs of my time. Can't see spending $100 on lights. :yikes:

Bob Denman
06-22-2015, 06:15 PM
follow my post#3... it ought to get you close enough to make sense of what you see! :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-22-2015, 06:30 PM
I want to install a third brake light on my trunk. Where are you guys grabbing power for it? It will be for brakes only, no turn/tail. Is there an easy way to access the correct wire somewhere without taking half the back end off:sour:?

Thanks
Another way would be to run the wires behind the passenger backrest, or under the plastic the speaker is in, and down to the harness under the left panel under the passenger seat. I have a pic of that area at the end of the first post in this thread. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?64757-How-I-wired-up-a-5-wire-trailer-harness-plus-other-lights-Part-1. My discussion is focused mainly on wiring for a trailer but I show how I tapped into the harness for the high mount brake light. I think you can figure which color wire you need to tap into from my pictures.

You're going to have to remove some tupperware whichever way you go, unless you tape it to the outside of the bike! :roflblack:

jaherbst
06-22-2015, 06:34 PM
Didn't order them from anyone, so there isn't instructions. Just bought some sensible LED's. So far I have $16 invested, and hopefully a couple hrs of my time. Can't see spending $100 on lights. :yikes:

What's your life worth? Think about it. Custom Dynamics IMO is the best, will continue flashing while stopped and brake applied. With all the rear end collisions and deaths for M/C and Spyders I certainly would rethink the value of these.

Jack

Mazo EMS2
06-22-2015, 06:43 PM
What's your life worth? Think about it. Custom Dynamics IMO is the best, will continue while stopped and brake applied. With all the rear end collisions and deaths for M/C and Spyders I certainly would rethink the value of these.

Jack

They're very nice sealed LED's, how expensive do they need to be? I support vendors on the site for a few things.....but for lights that only have a single purpose? Nah, you can get high quality LED lights anywhere these days. I was just curious as to how folks were wiring them in. A 6" LED brake light is NOT worth $100. All it will do is turn on with the brakes.

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-22-2015, 07:02 PM
A 6" LED brake light is NOT worth $100. All it will do is turn on with the brakes.
For the light only, I agree. But you do have to admit that the CD lite looks and fits well. Worth a hundred for beauty? For some folks it is. I have a Superbright LED light bar for a HMBL. Quite bright and is very functional. Maybe not quite a bright as the CD one, but bright enough IMO. Does it look pretty? Not really. But it works and cost me a lot less than the CD one.

We all have to strike a balance between functionality, looks, and cost. Jack, obviously cost is not near the consideration for you as it is for others. Please keep that in mind. Will a $100 HMBL provide a lot more protection than a $20 one? Maybe, maybe not. We don't know, so we make the choice that fits our life's priorities the best. Are my priorities the same as yours? Of course not. You have a $100 HMBL. I have a $30 HMBL and an $80 headlight modulator. Which one of is the wiser? Only time will tell, if ever.

MZ, in this respect I will agree with Jack. I really don't think a 6" LED is bright enough, unless it has 3 or 4 rows of LEDs. Mine is 9" single row. I have considered adding a second strip, but the one is quite bright and eye catching. I do have a brake light modulator also connected into both the OEM brake lights and the HMBL. That cost is in addition to the LED.

finless
06-22-2015, 08:39 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_zFICzwKjc

StanProff
06-22-2015, 08:44 PM
It is kind of funny when you think about what is important to us. Everyone has different priorities for our interest. My first RT had a 3rd brake light that I made out of two rows of cheap LED's and trimmed it with some stick on chrome. Did it work? yep but not as bright as it could have been, Did it look o.k.? Just so, so. With my 2014 RTS I got to thinking about the cost of the many Helmets I have. Then I looked at the coat rack of all of the riding jackets I have. Then I looked at the riding boots I've got. You know where this is going. What is the cost of a good manufactured 3rd brake light in comparison to the thousands of dollars of stuff mentioned above. Is 150.00 or 200.00 too much for a good looking, functional factory 3rd brake light that is worth 10 times the cost in the safety factor? Heck, one of my helmets cost over 400.00 and that's the one I very seldom use. Leather riding jackets? yep, there is another 300 or so each. I am not going to worry about 2 or 3 hundred for a good safety item that is used every time I apply the brake and looks like a factory item. That's just me though. I figure that after spending over 23,000 on a bike, a few hundred to get the accessories I want, is not a big deal. I don't mean to offend anyone and I do understand being able to afford things. I don't like to waste money but I look at all the motorcycle jackets I've bought and helmets and stuff and think, "man, what did I buy all of that for". Anyway that's my thoughts.

ARtraveler
06-22-2015, 08:48 PM
I have had a CD third brake light on all my RT's. I had them dealer installed before I drove them home. I like the looks and visibility of the unit.

Mazo EMS2
06-22-2015, 09:21 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_zFICzwKjc

Thanks Bob.....I should have just messaged you to start with, to avoid all the debate. Your video is just what I needed :bowdown: :thumbup:

SpyderAnn01
06-22-2015, 09:24 PM

Thanks

Take the back end off, it is easy, even GIRLS can do it.

Bob Denman
06-23-2015, 07:07 AM
So if the lights weren't worth $100; how much were (The SMART) Bob's instructions worth? :dontknow:
I think that you owe him a dinner!! :clap: :D :thumbup:

finless
06-23-2015, 08:46 AM
So if the lights weren't worth $100; how much were (The SMART) Bob's instructions worth? :dontknow:
I think that you owe him a dinner!! :clap: :D :thumbup:

I think he was not asking so much about what light to use but more how to wire it. My video shows what wires you tap into.

Bob

Bob Denman
06-23-2015, 09:27 AM
He STILL owes you dinner! :D
:lecturef_smilie: And behave yourself afterward; we wouldn't want you to get a "reputation"... :shocked:

finless
06-23-2015, 10:15 AM
He STILL owes you dinner! :D
:lecturef_smilie: And behave yourself afterward; we wouldn't want you to get a "reputation"... :shocked:

I think I already have one. Probably can't make it any worse ;)

Bob

Mazo EMS2
06-23-2015, 04:35 PM
Heck I'd buy ya two dinners Bob.....the video was exactly what I was looking for, not input on the lights themselves. Like I said, you can get many different styles of lights from hundreds of places these days...but ya can't get the "know-how" to install them just anywhere. :bowdown:

Bob Denman
06-23-2015, 05:12 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=110064&stc=1

:shocked: Okay; I'll admit that this might have been NOT so funny... :shocked: