PDA

View Full Version : 2014 RTS Oil Leak

Questions
06-21-2015, 06:17 PM
I just took my 2014 RTS to the shop for an oil leak. It has 3966 miles and they told me the oil leak is coming from a screw in the bottom of the motor. They said they called brp and were advised to blue locktite the screw and it should be fine. So far they test drove it twice with no oil leaks which is great news but i'm still waiting for the bike as they wanted to take it for one more ride.
Is this a 14 problem or has anyone had this?

stan

Dan McNally
06-21-2015, 06:25 PM
There was a Service Bulletin in January of 2014

http://www.spydertechnician.com/dlfiles/2014%20RT%20SE6%20Clutch%20Cover%20Oil%20Leak%20-%20Set%20Screw.pdf

AeroPilot
06-21-2015, 06:56 PM
I just took my 2014 RTS to the shop for an oil leak. It has 3966 miles and they told me the oil leak is coming from a screw in the bottom of the motor. They said they called brp and were advised to blue locktite the screw and it should be fine. So far they test drove it twice with no oil leaks which is great news but i'm still waiting for the bike as they wanted to take it for one more ride.

stan

Great bulletin share from Hayfield!! That's what we suspected after taking off the lower right plastic belly pan and seeing the oil drip hanging from that clutch cover/pressure sensor area. It looked like the set screw was moist with oil, but weren't quite sure. Local dealer cleaned it up and used the primer and oil resistant loctite as per the bulletin, and no more drips on the floor. Made a copy of the bulletin to take in to the dealer in case they hadn't seen it yet. Had about the same mileage, and noticed it during the 3,000 mile service.

Orange Spyder Man
06-21-2015, 07:05 PM
wonder if this service bulletin only covers 2014 Spyders that an owner complains about a leak ?

osm

BikerDoc
06-21-2015, 07:29 PM
That was supposedly an issue that affected only the very early production models of the 2014 s and was then supposed to have been corrected at the factory..

JayBros
06-21-2015, 08:11 PM
I just took my 2014 RTS to the shop for an oil leak. It has 3966 miles and they told me the oil leak is coming from a screw in the bottom of the motor.
stan

When was your Spyder manufactured?

Orange Spyder Man
06-22-2015, 07:44 PM
When was your Spyder manufactured?
I don't have a clue,,

namknight
06-23-2015, 03:04 PM
Yes. I had the leak and ended up with a whole new motor under warranty.

JayBros
06-23-2015, 03:24 PM
I don't have a clue,,

It's on the sticker on my swing arm. Just thought that leaking trans screw was an early production issue that had long since been corrected.

AeroPilot
06-24-2015, 08:19 AM
It's on the sticker on my swing arm. Just thought that leaking trans screw was an early production issue that had long since been corrected.

It probably was more prevalent but just had our 2015 model fixed as per the bulletin. It would seep a 2" spot on the floor after a 200 mile run.

Fixed by the local dealer under warranty at 3800 miles and now at 8900 miles with no further leaks. Looked dry on the right side clutch cover bottom last night when I did the latest oil change.:thumbup:

JayBros
06-24-2015, 09:33 AM
It probably was more prevalent but just had our 2015 model fixed as per the bulletin. It would seep a 2" spot on the floor after a 200 mile run.

Fixed by the local dealer under warranty at 3800 miles and now at 8900 miles with no further leaks. Looked dry on the right side clutch cover bottom last night when I did the latest oil change.:thumbup:

Such a leak on a '15 would indicate that the engine manufacturer had a production line burp or in this case a puke -- a definite quality control problem.

Dan McNally
06-24-2015, 09:37 AM
I've also heard of a couple of folks who got new engines because of oil leaking right through the block . . . apparently a few bad castings slipped through.

ulflyer
06-24-2015, 09:55 AM
I don't have a clue,,

White sticker under the Frunk lid with date.

Mine was one of the early '14's and even tho it didn't leak, the Tech's did the svc procedure anyway since it was on the list.

namknight
06-24-2015, 01:12 PM
I've also heard of a couple of folks who got new engines because of oil leaking right through the block . . . apparently a few bad castings slipped through.

I guess you missed my previous post. I did get a new motor last year.

Questions
07-05-2015, 02:48 AM
Well I got my bike back and took it for a 40 mile ride and everything was ok. I then took it on a 70 mile ride today and I had a small red colored leak under the right side area of the bike. What the heck is that now?

stan

retired1
07-05-2015, 05:52 AM
Well I got my bike back and took it for a 40 mile ride and everything was ok. I then took it on a 70 mile ride today and I had a small red colored leak under the right side area of the bike. What the heck is that now?

My '14 RTS se6 had the leaking screw. At SF '14, the BRP techs fixed it. The sealant they used required 24 hrs. to "set up". No leak problems in the ensuing 8000 miles.

beefybudds
07-05-2015, 08:52 AM

A red leak would be antifreeze unless the dealer used red die in your oil. My dealer used green die in my oil.
By chance does your leak look like this under the bike??

Brogers57
07-05-2015, 12:03 PM
My 14 RTS production date of May was taken in and had and oil leak through the case. Waiting to see what all happens.

Questions
07-06-2015, 10:14 AM
A red leak would be antifreeze unless the dealer used red die in your oil. My dealer used green die in my oil.
By chance does your leak look like this under the bike??

Yes this is exactly what mine looks like. I will be bringing it back to the dealer again.

stan

beefybudds
07-25-2015, 08:36 AM
Any updates what the dealer found?
As mine is still leaking.
Thanks,
Joel