PDA

View Full Version : Ipod problem, won't change to other playlists

beadaholic
06-21-2015, 09:11 AM
My ipod is a classic, it is connected properly, plays music ok, but just sticks to 1 playlist and won't allow me to pick individual artists or playlists. I go through the menu on the Spyder (RT) and go to the right, try and pick these things, and it just goes back to what it was playing and won't let me change it. It gets boring, then I disconnected it, picked the playlist I wanted, started it up and off it went to play that playlist. But this isn't supposed to be how it works. I looked through about 12 posts here and didn't find anything exactly like my experience. I think I saw someone else with the same problem before but I couldn't find that post. I don't have a dealer nearby, as I am in Mexico, it is going to be a stretch for me to go there (Mexico City) as I am in another state and a few hours away, I will be going, but I do not know what this dealer is like as I bought this used, 2014 with 400 miles on it. Thanks for any advice!

Bob Denman
06-21-2015, 09:17 AM
Are you giving it a long enough press of the "Right" button, to allow it to seek the next playlist?
(The instructions say that you have to hold the button down for more than one second...)

finless
06-21-2015, 09:28 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqf6LOVsS2k

beadaholic
06-21-2015, 09:36 AM
I will go and try this in a bit, I haven't been able to make this work very well, even yesterday while driving I tried to change the playlist and it wouldn't pause long enough for me to pick anything,, the menu would go back to the miles per hour screen before I could pick from the ipod list stuff, it even didn't go to this after pressing the set button for 2 seconds once I was on the Ipod screen while driving, I got frustrated and let it play the same music it always wants to play. I would have to stop at the side of the road and stop (probably better for safety but I was on a road without traffic). It just didn't seem to "work" very well. Although it does play music well. I am learning and most likely it is me, not the bike of course! Thanks for the advice (and I did watch that video before which is very helpful, and I even printed out the audio booklet portion that was posted here as well to ready it back and forth and again and again. I can be a hardhead at times! :banghead:

Bob Denman
06-21-2015, 09:40 AM
:shocked: Bob, think that your video has FINALLY gotten through to me! :clap:
Thanks for helping me to "See the Light"
boB

finless
06-21-2015, 09:52 AM
I will go and try this in a bit, I haven't been able to make this work very well, even yesterday while driving I tried to change the playlist and it wouldn't pause long enough for me to pick anything,, the menu would go back to the miles per hour screen before I could pick from the ipod list stuff, it even didn't go to this after pressing the set button for 2 seconds once I was on the Ipod screen while driving, I got frustrated and let it play the same music it always wants to play. I would have to stop at the side of the road and stop (probably better for safety but I was on a road without traffic). It just didn't seem to "work" very well. Although it does play music well. I am learning and most likely it is me, not the bike of course! Thanks for the advice (and I did watch that video before which is very helpful, and I even printed out the audio booklet portion that was posted here as well to ready it back and forth and again and again. I can be a hardhead at times! :banghead:

You have to be stopped to use the iPod advanced menu's!
It's a safety feature they put in otherwise it would be like texting and driving!
The only thing you can do while moving is skip forward or backwards in the songs you have selected.

Bob

beadaholic
06-21-2015, 10:52 AM
Ah! Ok, well mine did enter the menu a few times real fast and I was able to move forward but then went back to the miles, so it frustrated me and made me think it was broke! Other times it would not enter at all! haha, good to know. Then that is fine, I can understand that of course. But when stopped I have not been successful yet to switch to another playlist, but I will go out, and un-cover it and see in a bit if I have not been holding down the forward button long enough once I am at the playlist list......Thank YOU! That was helpful! I won't be frustrated again either now that I know!

You have to be stopped to use the iPod advanced menu's!
It's a safety feature they put in otherwise it would be like texting and driving!
The only thing you can do while moving is skip forward or backwards in the songs you have selected.

Bob

PaladinLV
06-21-2015, 11:39 AM
Nanos DO support full protocol
As always, great Vid, Bob!

AJ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eqf6LOVsS2k

finless
06-21-2015, 12:17 PM
Nanos DO support full protocol
As always, great Vid, Bob!

AJ

Thanks! Now I know :)

Bob

PMK
06-21-2015, 02:32 PM
Thanks! Now I know :)

Bob

Finless, wanted to share, IPod Nano 7th Gen, fully supported with the Apple interface connector to the BRP cable.

I was getting worried as I thought the Spyder had a passion for listening to Alan Jackson...Yesterdays ride, 100% Feetwood Mac.

PK

beadaholic
06-21-2015, 08:50 PM
I tried repeatedly today to switch playlists, I held down the set key for over 2 seconds, for 2 seconds, and other amounts just to see if that would do it, it always reverted back to the original playlist it was playing, but it would never switch to another. I can go to the frunk and select another playlist and plug it back in, and poof it would play that one, but there is no switching playlists....so there is either something going on with my Ipod which works fine on its own, or it is the bike itself? I don't know what to do to figure it out? Any ideas?

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-21-2015, 09:20 PM
I tried repeatedly today to switch playlists, I held down the set key for over 2 seconds, for 2 seconds, and other amounts just to see if that would do it, it always reverted back to the original playlist it was playing, but it would never switch to another. I can go to the frunk and select another playlist and plug it back in, and poof it would play that one, but there is no switching playlists....so there is either something going on with my Ipod which works fine on its own, or it is the bike itself? I don't know what to do to figure it out? Any ideas?
You're doing this in the advanced iPod screen, right? I'm away from home and my bike is at the dealer, but what I remember is this. Once you have done the left, center, right, column move and selected a song I think you have to use the right button and move to the right. As I recall that takes you back to mph screen but the new playlist and song are now selected. If this isn't the right procedure try various left & right moves. That much I do remember. You have to select a song in the selected playlist and then move right I think in order to have the selection stick. Set doesn't do it.

It doesn't really make 100% sense.

Another thing to be aware of. Whatever playlist you are in you move to the next or previous song with a right or left long press. However, if you are in a playlist or album down the list of playlists, when you turn the key off, and then back on, the next time you do a long press you will be taken back to the first album/playlist in the list. The position in the list of playlists does not survive a key off/on action. BRP knows about this but it's not a priority for a fix.

Another glitch in the system. If you have radio display turned on so that you see station or song name on the mph screen, let the cluster complete its shutdown before turning the key back on. If you turn the key off, and then back on before the shutdown is completed, the radio display selection goes back to disabled.

beadaholic
06-21-2015, 10:06 PM
Yes, I get into the advanced Ipod screen by pressing mode once to enter the Ipod area, then 2 seconds the set key to get into the advanced screen where there is the Playlist, Artists and Album, I move to the right in Playlist and can see the list, and pick the one I want by going down and to the right again....and it shows you the items in the playlist (and I have checked indeed that they are on the actual Ipod, I had thought maybe the playlist was there and not the songs, but nope, they are there and do indeed play if I use the Ipod by itself or if I disconnect it and select that particular playlist), if I press the right key again to select the first song it just goes back to the playlist it is currently playing, not what I selected. So I figured that I need to hold down the right key 2 seconds to start up that list, but nope that doesn't work either. It is probably something stupid I am doing, or not doing. haha, most likely that, but it seems that it is just not exactly me the dummy but maybe the software they have in the Spyder! It is not intuitive to me. There should be a center "select" button on the handbar in the middle of those up and down, side to side arrows...at least to me! haha. Oh well, someone tell me what I am doing wrong!

I went ahead and made 1 playlist, deleted the others until I figure this out, all I really care about is if I can hear different music and not the same stuff over and over...

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-21-2015, 11:33 PM
How old is your iPod? The older ones don't work properly I don't think. I've got a 2nd gen Classic which I tried once. I can't remember exactly but it may not have even been recognized as an iPod. I know it did not work properly.

beadaholic
06-22-2015, 07:47 AM
I think it is 5th gen, it is a 80 gigger....so that isn't it...I make it work, so it isn't the end of the world, but it isn't me either, it just should work, I have other IPODs I will see if the same deal is going on with them as well. I bought another one from Goodwill.com (great deals there) and it should be here soon as well....

finless
06-22-2015, 08:14 AM
Just something you maybe doing that is causing this.
You talk about holding buttons down. So you know if you hold the right button down too long it puts the iPod into shuffle mode.
Perhaps that is what you are doing?
The only time you should hold a button down is when on the iPod screen you hold the select button down until the iPod menus show up. All other times you should only tap the button not hold it.

Bob

beadaholic
06-22-2015, 08:22 AM
Humm, I might be doing this then, I was told I believe that to start up the playlist you have to hold the button down 2 seconds once you have the playlist selected, I have tried doing just a push to start up the song I want as well in the playlist assuming that it would play the rest of the playlist as it goes down that list that I was in. But it isn't doing that either. Like I said, it is probably me. But I do want to get this to work, as there are "Rebel" days and "Calm" days, and "Dance" days in my life! haha, mostly Rebel though! haha, you would think that at 55 years old I would not start being a Rebel being I have been always a Good Girl, but hey things change! haha. Oh well, back to my problem, I will go out at this moment and see what I can do. So I hold down the set key 2 seconds to get the advanced IPOD menu (once I am on the IPOD screen), then pick playlist by going up or down, in this case it is the first item so no need to go up or down, move to the right, and select the playlist I want, move to the right to see the music in the playlist. How do I select the playlist (or the first song in the playlist?) by going right? Regular like? Thanks for being patient!

Just something you maybe doing that is causing this.
You talk about holding buttons down. So you know if you hold the right button down too long it puts the iPod into shuffle mode.
Perhaps that is what you are doing?
The only time you should hold a button down is when on the iPod screen you hold the select button down until the iPod menus show up. All other times you should only tap the button not hold it.

Bob

finless
06-22-2015, 08:34 AM
Do this simple thing.
On the left screen have the playlist you want highlighted. The right screen should show the songs on your playlist.
Move right so the first song is highlighted. Now move right again and it should just start playing that first song in your playlist.
When you move right don't hold the button.

Bob

Bob Denman
06-22-2015, 09:09 AM
Bob,
After viewing your video twice more, I felt confident enough to tackle my I-Pod. :shocked:

...It works perfectly! :thumbup:

I had never been able to get the playlists, artists, and songs to show up on the Main Screen before! :banghead:
You are...DA MAN!!!! :yes::clap::2thumbs::firstplace::bowdown:

boB

beadaholic
06-22-2015, 09:44 AM
http://www.laurabrito.com/spyder/ipod.wmv

Hopefully this works, my video is not real clear (sorry! haha) oh well. Not my best, but I think you can see what I mean. If I am doing something wrong please tell me. I am going to take a nano out there and another classic (luckily I have 3) and one of these might be the fix. I will let you know as soon as I do this! Thanks again my friend!

beadaholic
06-22-2015, 10:11 AM
The nano had no playlists on it, but it did have artists and albums, it does work, I can easily go to different albums and artists. So go figure, the Ipod is the problem, not the bike (of course)! So at least this is figured out. I am going to swap out the nano for the classic and besides that if someone breaks open my trunk and steals the ipod, it is only an old nano, better than the classic. I am sorry for the problem, but it is at least possibly helpful to someone else on here, because I have read others having the same issue of not being able to pick other playlists. It must be something with the software or ?? Thanks Again!

finless
06-22-2015, 10:33 AM
Before you drop that iPod hook it up to iTunes and make sure it has the latest Apple software update on it!

Bob

finless
06-22-2015, 10:37 AM
Bob,
After viewing your video twice more, I felt confident enough to tackle my I-Pod. :shocked:

...It works perfectly! :thumbup:

I had never been able to get the playlists, artists, and songs to show up on the Main Screen before! :banghead:
You are...DA MAN!!!! :yes::clap::2thumbs::firstplace::bowdown:

boB

I did not realize this video was going to be so helpful. I guess I will re-shoot it this weekend and get the screen clearer and do the video a little better.

Bob

Bob Denman
06-22-2015, 10:39 AM
:shocked: Honestly; I wouldn't change a thing... your explanations, coupled with the video; worked magic! :2thumbs:

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-22-2015, 11:03 AM
http://www.laurabrito.com/spyder/ipod.wmv

Hopefully this works, my video is not real clear (sorry! haha) oh well. Not my best, but I think you can see what I mean. If I am doing something wrong please tell me. I am going to take a nano out there and another classic (luckily I have 3) and one of these might be the fix. I will let you know as soon as I do this! Thanks again my friend!
You know, it could be your iPod does have a problem! My old Classic quit functioning correctly in the dock I had it plugged into, so I bought a new dock thinking the dock had gone bad. Wouldn't work in the new dock either. Sent it into missionrepair.com and the main board had crapped out. When it was returned it worked perfectly in both the old and new docks!

Bfromla
06-22-2015, 11:47 AM
Great video BOB thx, also fyi whatever playlist you may be on wont matter. Will go to default list every time you crank up. "Reboot" if you will. Video above shows accurate way to find list you want, however per my 2013 I can hold L or R (scroll) for four(4) seconds & it will go to next list. Ipod/ radio enabled on dash in settings. Fyi. Hope this helps:thumbup:

beadaholic
06-23-2015, 07:51 PM
Hi Bob, yes it does have the latest, it is weird though, can't figure out what the problem is. It is not for lack of trying!

Before you drop that iPod hook it up to iTunes and make sure it has the latest Apple software update on it!

Bob

Explorer
06-23-2015, 10:19 PM
beadaholic,
You deserve a medal for your perseverance. There is nothing wrong with your I-pod or your Spyder. Your Spyder was not designed to fully support the I-pod Classic (with the wheel). The owner's manual does not list it. I use one on my 2014 ST-L, but as you discovered, you can only listen to one list.
Enjoy your Spyder,
Roger

billybovine
06-24-2015, 12:47 PM
beadaholic,
You deserve a medal for your perseverance. There is nothing wrong with your I-pod or your Spyder. Your Spyder was not designed to fully support the I-pod Classic (with the wheel). The owner's manual does not list it. I use one on my 2014 ST-L, but as you discovered, you can only listen to one list.
Enjoy your Spyder,
Roger

My 2013 ST-L works just fine with a ipod classic. Must make a difference what generation of classic you have.

dslim
06-27-2015, 09:40 AM
What do you do when the bike won't pick up the iPod. Sometimes I start my bike and it says AUX. You cycle through the different radio controls and IPod isn't there. I restart my IPod, and sometimes it works, sometimes not. I'm using a IPod nano that is about 6 years old, the taller skinny one, and have a 2014 RTS.

finless
06-27-2015, 10:14 AM
Because it is that old, the internal battery maybe dead in the iPod and cannot keep it powered up.
If the battery is weak and say over night it dies, the iPod will power down.
When you turn on the key, power is applied to the iPod and it will boot back up but this can take some time and the Spyder may not see it.
Check if this is happening. Before turning the key on see if the iPod is still on.

Bob