PDA

View Full Version : New freedom trailer vs 622

duke50
06-20-2015, 09:16 AM
I'm thinking about getting a trailer for my rt but not sure which trailer to purchase. What are the pros an cons of each. I know the Freedom is cheaper and a little smaller. Does the VSS adapt to both trailers? Not interested in aftermarket :doorag:

jwulf74
06-20-2015, 09:43 AM
The 622 I believe has more room, 2 lids, and is a really nice trailer. The Freedom seemed cheaper to me. Either one will do a nice job, but I like the 622 more than the Freedom trailer.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-20-2015, 09:49 AM
Pro's they look nice.............Con's very expensive, very heavy, because they are soooooooooo heavy you are limited to only 160 lbs cargo. I think if you buy a Trailer you intend to Tow stuff.........If you buy a BRP trailer it's to " show off "..............like wearing a mink coat in the summer.....JMHO ..Mike :thumbup:

duke50
06-20-2015, 10:22 AM
I like the independent suspension but I'm sure that adds to the weight issue. I have looked at other trailers but they also weighed in at about 250. Not sure if VSS works with after market trailers

SpyderAnn01
06-20-2015, 10:40 AM
Blueknight, the RT622 is more then just good looks. If you want to carry your stuff across the country and back in your little doggie trailer that's fine but I will take my stuff in my RT622 any day. And mine doesn't even match my Spyder anymore.

Duke, if you can see the two trailers side by side you will most certainly agree that the RT622 is much better than the new Freedom trailer.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-20-2015, 10:40 AM
I like the independent suspension but I'm sure that adds to the weight issue. I have looked at other trailers but they also weighed in at about 250. Not sure if VSS works with after market trailers

" VSS " is on the Spyder not the trailer !!!!..............250 lbs...you didn't search very much !!!!!..............Mike :thumbup:

tigerdr
06-20-2015, 10:41 AM
I have a RT622 since the last 5 years and I like it. 2 lids, very roomy and stable on the road. The RT622 is built with fiberglass instead of the Freedom trailer who is built with plastic.

duke50
06-20-2015, 10:58 AM
" VSS " is on the Spyder not the trailer !!!!..............250 lbs...you didn't search very much !!!!!..............Mike :thumbup:

Mike

I'm reading from the 2015 Can Am accessories catalog it says the VSS adapts to the freedom trailer what they mean by that I'm not sure. Are there sensors on the can am trailers?

SpyderAnn01
06-20-2015, 11:47 AM
Mike

I'm reading from the 2015 Can Am accessories catalog it says the VSS adapts to the freedom trailer what they mean by that I'm not sure. Are there sensors on the can am trailers?

No.

Cruzr Joe
06-20-2015, 11:49 AM
Blueknight, the RT622 is more then just good looks. If you want to carry your stuff across the country and back in your little doggie trailer that's fine but I will take my stuff in my RT622 any day. And mine doesn't even match my Spyder anymore.

Duke, if you can see the two trailers side by side you will most certainly agree that the RT622 is much better than the new Freedom trailer.

:agree:, if you want to go with a cheap trailer then go for one, but, the RT-622 is a very well made trailer that is easy on you and your bike. The new freedom trailer is less expensive but not as durable as the 622 and the RT-622 has a carpeted interior and dual access doors.

Cruzr Joe

John Moody
06-20-2015, 02:16 PM
I have a 2014 RT-622 trailer and love it. My has 2 access doors. If you buy a 2015 RT-622, you will find that they have one access door and little smaller (cargo space) than 2014 RT-622. Make sure you do your resource on what you want, needs, and price.

Cruzr Joe
06-20-2015, 02:24 PM
I have a 2014 RT-622 trailer and love it. My has 2 access doors. If you buy a 2015 RT-622, you will find that they have one access door and little smaller (cargo space) than 2014 RT-622. Make sure you do your resource on what you want, needs, and price.

The BRP RT-622 trailer has 2 access doors, The BRP Freedom Trailer has only one access door.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
06-20-2015, 02:30 PM
BRP's 622 trailer has about a 622 liter storage capacity... (Not the most imaginative name...;))
I think that the Freedom trailer can hold about 566 liters of stuff...

So the 622 can hold about 10% more of the stuff that you want to take along with you! :thumbup:

WA5VHU
06-20-2015, 02:34 PM
I like to look at pictures of both of the BRP trailers.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109895&stc=1

Bob Denman
06-20-2015, 02:38 PM
If you buy a BRP trailer it's to " show off "..............like wearing a mink coat in the summer.....JMHO ..Mike :thumbup:

Mike,
Why would you insult the owners of the BRP trailers in such a manner? :dontknow:
If they want to spend their money on the Trailer that they can purchase from the same place that they got their bike... :thumbup:
Ann's right; haul your crap across the Country in your PVC nightmare if you want to...

jaherbst
06-20-2015, 03:30 PM
BRP's 622 trailer has about a 622 liter storage capacity... (Not the most imaginative name...;))
I think that the Freedom trailer can hold about 566 liters of stuff...

So the 622 can hold about 10% more of the stuff that you want to take along with you! :thumbup:

What is that in pints Bob? Easier for me to understand.������:cheers:

Jack

tigerdr
06-20-2015, 03:37 PM
622 liters = 22 cubic foot.

PrairieSpyder
06-20-2015, 03:56 PM
I'd go for the RT622. But as you can gather from Mike, it isn't easy being pretty! And the tell me it isn't pretty being easy, either.

ABQSpyder
06-20-2015, 04:15 PM
Site sponsor Mini Trailer USA $1500.00 Made in USA
BRP 662RT $4900.00 Freedom I wouldn't buy one they cheap plastic.
Savings $3400.00 662RT might be nice but not $3400.00 nice just my 2 cents

Bob Denman
06-20-2015, 04:46 PM
What is that in pints Bob? Easier for me to understand.������:cheers:

Jack

The 622 holds 1,314.5223 pints
The Freedom checks in with 1,196.173 of them... ;)

(one liter equals 2.11338 pints. :thumbup:)

jaherbst
06-20-2015, 04:46 PM

Next time you need a malt or martini put it in the Freedom for shaking.

Next time you need a Smoothie put it in the RT-622.

Jack:joke:

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-20-2015, 08:11 PM

STICKS AND STONES , STICKS AND STONES :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:. .......and why are you picking on Blueknight , I don't think He is on the Forum anymore :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack:........Mike

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-20-2015, 08:16 PM
:agree:, if you want to go with a cheap trailer then go for one, but, the RT-622 is a very well made trailer that is easy on you and your bike. The new freedom trailer is less expensive but not as durable as the 622 and the RT-622 has a carpeted interior and dual access doors.

Cruzr Joe

:yikes:......Sorry, but when the Trailer weighs a lot more than it's cargo capacity ........there is something wrong with the picture................However you could just fill it with Ping Pong balls :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflb lack::roflblack:..............OR B.D.'s Hot Air and some ice cream :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:...... .Mike

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-20-2015, 08:21 PM
I like to look at pictures of both of the BRP trailers.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109895&stc=1

But I'm surprised Bob D., Cruzr Joe, and SpyderAnn01 has allowed such a LIGHTWEIGHT , USEFUL ( and attractive ) TRAILER to posted here . :thumbup: .......Mike

WA5VHU
06-20-2015, 08:33 PM
But I'm surprised Bob D., Cruzr Joe, and SpyderAnn01 has allowed such a LIGHTWEIGHT , USEFUL ( and attractive ) TRAILER to posted here . :thumbup: .......Mike

I painted the top sides to match the red Spyder we had. Then we traded Salsa in on Coppertone (cognac) so I will have to repaint it.

I don't have a current picture of it but it now looks kinda like this:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109922&stc=1

zuni
06-20-2015, 08:33 PM
Well, I agree to each his own but like Blueknight911 I opted for the economy method. I enjoyed building my own and painting to match the bike, exterior perimeter led lighting with dimmer, interior led lighting on a tilt switch for automatic operation, battery to run interior and exterior leds when the bike is off, dual usb and 12v charging ports, carpeted interior with tie down points. Is it a BRP 622, not by any means but since it sits in the garage 85% of the time while both bikes hit the road almost everyday I'll take the cash savings for more trips and ride with you no matter what you choose to pull behind you Spyder.

CJ JAX

jaherbst
06-20-2015, 09:33 PM
The 622 holds 1,314.5223 pints
The Freedom checks in with 1,196.173 of them... ;)

(one liter equals 2.11338 pints. :thumbup:)

Well that will last me about a month, then back for a fill up! I totally under estimated your math skills Bob.:shocked:

Jack

Cruzr Joe
06-20-2015, 09:37 PM

:hun:

jaherbst
06-20-2015, 09:40 PM
Some of those Harbor Freight/Walmart trailers look like they belong behind a Fiat!:joke: (or Vespa)

Jack

WA5VHU
06-20-2015, 10:11 PM
Some of those Harbor Freight/Walmart trailers look like they belong behind a Fiat!:joke: (or Vespa)

Jack

Harbor Freight trailers are not classy enough for Vespa:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109927&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109928&stc=1

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-20-2015, 11:16 PM
Well, I agree to each his own but like Blueknight911 I opted for the economy method. I enjoyed building my own and painting to match the bike, exterior perimeter led lighting with dimmer, interior led lighting on a tilt switch for automatic operation, battery to run interior and exterior leds when the bike is off, dual usb and 12v charging ports, carpeted interior with tie down points. Is it a BRP 622, not by any means but since it sits in the garage 85% of the time while both bikes hit the road almost everyday I'll take the cash savings for more trips and ride with you no matter what you choose to pull behind you Spyder.

CJ JAX
:lecturef_smilie:....CJ, be careful of showing to much creativity and ingenuity. Some of the more vocal here whose most prominent talent appears to be the ability to write checks with lots of numbers won't appreciate the simple elegance of thrifty usefulness. :yes::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:.....Mike :thumbup:

Empty Pockets
06-20-2015, 11:56 PM
Totally happy with my 2015 freedom trailer Never have a 622 to compare it to. Functionally it works perfect for my needs At Spyderfest we had the freedom and the 622 sitting side-by-side to compare. The 622 looks to be wider than the freedom trailer but the compartment on the freedom Trailer seems to be a little longer. can definitely tell the differences in manufacturing, different lighting, less color options Personally the single door works better for me than the two doors. I believe the Chassis and suspension is the same on both the 622 and the freedom.

jaherbst
06-21-2015, 12:17 AM
Harbor Freight trailers are not classy enough for Vespa:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109927&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109928&stc=1

Love it. Great post. Vespa's will rise again!

Jack

Bob Denman
06-21-2015, 08:32 AM
Well that will last me about a month, then back for a fill up! I totally under estimated your math skills Bob.:shocked:

Jack

Actually; it was Google's Math skills... ;)
:cheers:

vtrider
06-21-2015, 08:57 AM
I'm thinking about getting a trailer for my rt but not sure which trailer to purchase. What are the pros an cons of each. I know the Freedom is cheaper and a little smaller. Does the VSS adapt to both trailers? Not interested in aftermarket :doorag:

I purchased a new 2013 RT622 trailer on Ebay from a dealer in Michigan. I wanted the pearl white trailer to match up with my RT LTD. I purchased it for $3200. So far I have no regrets buying this trailer. It's a well made trailer and it does what it's supposed to do. I've had it packed full with camping gear, cooler full of beverages and food, lounge chair, pillow, blankets, air mattress, other small items. as well a spare tire and small hydraulic jack and a few tools to carry with me should I need them. I had no problem hauling everything and it was very stable on the road and no bouncing around. The independent suspension works great on these trailers. When the trailer is loaded I use a fish scale and lift the front of the trailer to make sure that the cargo is distributed properly to get the proper tongue weight on the trailer hitch of my RT.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd343/vtrider_photos/DSC01179_zps879baa8a.jpg

jaherbst
06-21-2015, 09:24 AM
I purchased a new 2013 RT622 trailer on Ebay from a dealer in Michigan. I wanted the pearl white trailer to match up with my RT LTD. I purchased it for $3200. So far I have no regrets buying this trailer. It's a well made trailer and it does what it's supposed to do. I've had it packed full with camping gear, cooler full of beverages and food, lounge chair, pillow, blankets, air mattress, other small items. as well a spare tire and small hydraulic jack and a few tools to carry with me should I need them. I had no problem hauling everything and it was very stable on the road and no bouncing around. The independent suspension works great on these trailers. When the trailer is loaded I use a fish scale and lift the front of the trailer to make sure that the cargo is distributed properly to get the proper tongue weight on the trailer hitch of my RT.

http://i530.photobucket.com/albums/dd343/vtrider_photos/DSC01179_zps879baa8a.jpg

Nothing like a matching pair that perform well.

Jack

zuni
06-21-2015, 03:50 PM
:lecturef_smilie:....CJ, be careful of showing to much creativity and ingenuity. Some of the more vocal here whose most prominent talent appears to be the ability to write checks with lots of numbers won't appreciate the simple elegance of thrifty usefulness. :yes::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:.....Mike :thumbup:
Mike,
I harbor no ill will for anyone's choices and have learned not to take responses personally. I was an engineer even before getting a degree. I love our bikes and I love to tinker. I have always had that affliction. I got an early bump on the list and picked up one of the first few 2.8L BMW Z3's to be delivered. Remember the photos of Lamont's F3 when here took it apart to paint the frame? That was how my garage looked like with my Z3 when my wife (ex) came home after I owned it for about a month. While I can I will continue to turn a wrench and come up with new ideas but when the day comes that I can't I will also be writing those checks.

Forever tinkering
CJ JAX

Bob Denman
06-21-2015, 04:38 PM
I harbor no ill will for anyone's choices and have learned not to take responses personally. I was an engineer even before getting a degree. I love our bikes and I love to tinker. I have always had that affliction. While I can I will continue to turn a wrench and come up with new ideas but when the day comes that I can't I will also be writing those checks.
Forever tinkering
CJ JAX

:shocked: :2thumbs: :bowdown:

duke50
06-21-2015, 04:39 PM
I'm now searching for a white 622 a left over that I can get at a much reduced price. Although I may have to settle for another color. The search is on! :doorag:

Bob Denman
06-21-2015, 04:40 PM
:D Happy Hunting!! :2thumbs:

jaherbst
06-21-2015, 05:52 PM
I'm now searching for a white 622 a left over that I can get at a much reduced price. Although I may have to settle for another color. The search is on! :doorag:

Ride now sports on Ina in Tucson has one for sale right now.

Jack

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-21-2015, 11:52 PM
Mike,
I harbor no ill will for anyone's choices and have learned not to take responses personally. I was an engineer even before getting a degree. I love our bikes and I love to tinker. I have always had that affliction. I got an early bump on the list and picked up one of the first few 2.8L BMW Z3's to be delivered. Remember the photos of Lamont's F3 when here took it apart to paint the frame? That was how my garage looked like with my Z3 when my wife (ex) came home after I owned it for about a month. While I can I will continue to turn a wrench and come up with new ideas but when the day comes that I can't I will also be writing those checks.

Forever tinkering
CJ JAX

CJ, I harbor no ILL WILL to anyone either.............However there are people on this Forum, if you don't agree with what they like ( ie BRP etc ) they will then slander you PERSONALLY for your views and I consider that to be a PERSONAL attack. If YOU feel that it's OK to behave in that manner , then don't be surprised when the only posts on this site are about ice cream and other senseless, silly, drivel.........Mike :thumbup:

jtpollock
06-22-2015, 07:01 AM

CJ JAX

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::agree: I have the Harbor Fright trailer and for the $$$ I have a lot of miles for those $$$ with no problems. jtpollock

Roadster Renovations
06-22-2015, 08:03 AM

What size wheels does it come with? And is it independent suspension? We purchased an aftermarket last year and had trouble with the tires. They were not rated for interstate speeds.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-22-2015, 08:55 AM
What size wheels does it come with? And is it independent suspension? We purchased an aftermarket last year and had trouble with the tires. They were not rated for interstate speeds.

Doc, sometimes the trailers aren't equipped ( stock ) with High speed tires. However you can usually get them to put better ones on before you purchase the trailer......The other thing is, I have seen 12 inch tires with 8 plies and a " D " rating, that I would feel comfortable with at 85 MPH......Mike :thumbup:

flaggerphil
06-22-2015, 10:49 AM
Well, I'm perfectly happy with my 622. I didn't pay full price for it, I can pack it with virtually anything, and when I'm towing it I don't even know it's there. AND it matches my Spyder.

So there.

:thumbup:

Bob Denman
06-22-2015, 10:55 AM
:D :thumbup:
And you DO have the nicest-color Spyder... it matched my 2010! :2thumbs:

Gfrugia
11-25-2020, 01:06 PM
I traded in my Goldwing back in June for reasons (loved it but had to think about future). I had bought an Aluma trailer and hitch for it just before this and went on a one night camp out for testing (worked great). When I bought the 2020 RT limited, I bought the show chrome hitch and the wiring harness. Total weight of trailer is quite a bit less than 400 pounds. Question is, has anyone had any problems using this set up? Kinda wondering about the warranty issues. Anybody had any problem with this? Thank you in advance.

Trbayth
11-25-2020, 02:53 PM
I traded in my Goldwing back in June for reasons (loved it but had to think about future). I had bought an Aluma trailer and hitch for it just before this and went on a one night camp out for testing (worked great). When I bought the 2020 RT limited, I bought the show chrome hitch and the wiring harness. Total weight of trailer is quite a bit less than 400 pounds. Question is, has anyone had any problems using this set up? Kinda wondering about the warranty issues. Anybody had any problem with this? Thank you in advance.

First of all, welcome to Spyderlovers. Secondly, this is a five year old thread. You will probably have more luck creating a new thread to ask about your Aluma trailer.