PDA

View Full Version : F3 brake pedal

tommyandbeth
06-19-2015, 06:24 PM
I'm thinking about an F3 for my first Spyder and am very uncomfortable with the height of the brake pedal. Is there a way to lower to be more like a motorcycle? ( level or almost with the foot peg).I have a little bit of Bursitis in my hip and raising my foot to work the brake is not going to work.

Thanks,
Tom

Bob Denman
06-19-2015, 07:11 PM
I don't think that there's any height adjustment available for it. :shocked:
Remember; that's the only control for the "whoa", that the bike has. They set it high enough, that you'll never run out of room with the pedal. :thumbup:
(Although some folks might have played with adding some extra height to the footpeg... :D)

Be careful about compromising the functionality of the best safety system that exists on the bike...

AY4B
06-19-2015, 07:59 PM
The brake pedal is on a sliding forward and back adjustment. Not sure if there is any highth adjustment. If I ever got one Id have to slide it all the way forward because Im tall and the way it sits on the showroom floor is very unconformable. Your knee needs to be below the creese in the body. The position of where the knee is determines how far forward you need the pegs and brake.

Yazz
06-19-2015, 08:34 PM
Had problems shifting the F3 up at SpyderFest and Dan from BRP readjusted the shifter peg higher and forward for me. Looks like the same sort of set-up for the brake pedal.

Bet if you get with someone who knows what they're doing, they could adjust the brake pedal for you...

Ben Burped
06-19-2015, 08:50 PM
I'm thinking about an F3 for my first Spyder and am very uncomfortable with the height of the brake pedal. Is there a way to lower to be more like a motorcycle? ( level or almost with the foot peg).I have a little bit of Bursitis in my hip and raising my foot to work the brake is not going to work.

Thanks,
Tom

I sat on an F3 and the brake pedal was too high. I would have had to lift my foot every time I braked. I am used to just pressing down on my RT brake pedal. This let me know that it wasn't just me. Thank you so very much.

SpyderGTL
06-19-2015, 10:45 PM
Was the peg / brake pedal in the stock (middle) position and are you on the tall side? If so, the pegs can be adjusted forward, which should give you an entirely different leg / foot / brake pedal geometry. I'm 6' tall, and in the stock position, I had to lift my leg at the hip in order to use the brake pedal. That was very uncomfortable and the reason an RT or ST never really fit me. With the pegs all the way forward on the F3, I can generally pivot my foot at the ankle to engage the brake pedal. It got even better with floorboards. The U-Fit system makes a huge difference when adjusted to your height.
Another option is to get the ISCI hand brake. My wife had one installed a couple years ago on her RT after she broke her foot, and she still uses it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ABQSpyder
06-19-2015, 11:34 PM
Yes you can adjust the height of the brake pedal.
Go on the F3 forum and search brake pedal.
You drill a hole in the rod end to shorten the rod length which lowers the pedal. My riding buddy did it and he loves it!

Ben Burped
06-21-2015, 10:47 PM
Was the peg / brake pedal in the stock (middle) position and are you on the tall side? If so, the pegs can be adjusted forward, which should give you an entirely different leg / foot / brake pedal geometry. I'm 6' tall, and in the stock position, I had to lift my leg at the hip in order to use the brake pedal. That was very uncomfortable and the reason an RT or ST never really fit me. With the pegs all the way forward on the F3, I can generally pivot my foot at the ankle to engage the brake pedal. It got even better with floorboards. The U-Fit system makes a huge difference when adjusted to your height.
Another option is to get the ISCI hand brake. My wife had one installed a couple years ago on her RT after she broke her foot, and she still uses it a lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you for a courteous and informative response. No, I didn't realize that adjusting the peg forward would change the brake pedal geometry. Yes, I'm 6" 5". The ISCI hand brake makes a whole lot of sense for your wife after she broke her foot.