PDA

View Full Version : Brake Failure pops up, but apply/release cleads it - any ideas what's wrong?

pslawing
06-16-2015, 02:57 PM
I have a 2012 RT SE5. 19K on it. Last 3 rides I start out down the road, my parking brake light comes on and I get an orange brake failure screen immediately after that. I pull over and put the parking brake on, and off and it goes away. Rest of ride have been fine.
Regular brakes seem fine.
Any thoughts?
Thanks ahead of time!

SpyderAnn01
06-16-2015, 02:58 PM
Probably low brake fluid. This often happens when you are braking on the downhill. The Spyder is very sensitive to brake fluid level and just a little low will set off the alarms.

pslawing
06-16-2015, 03:01 PM
Probably low brake fluid. This often happens when you are braking on the downhill. The Spyder is very sensitive to brake fluid level and just a little low will set off the alarms.

Thanks! I will check!

revjvegas
06-16-2015, 03:59 PM
That'd be my bet too.

You probably only need like a tablespoon or two of fluid added to each of the two reservoirs.

SpyderAnn01
06-16-2015, 04:14 PM
That'd be my bet too.

You probably only need like a tablespoon or two of fluid added to each of the two reservoirs.

Good point, they don't usually need much.

tbhlaw
06-16-2015, 04:22 PM
I bought a large eydropper at a big box pharmacy and use it to add fluid. Brake fluid is very damaging to a Spyders finish. Using an eyedropper allows me to more easily fill the resevoir with out spilling by holding a shop towel over the end of the eyedropper.

Bob Denman
06-16-2015, 04:48 PM
That's a GREAT way to handle this chore! :clap: :thumbup: