PDA

View Full Version : Pull trailers

Madrebel
06-14-2015, 01:17 PM
I was reading in a review in Rider Magazine on the 2014 RT's and further down in the article they mentioned the nice Can Am trlrs and the cost, $3-4K. It also mentioned that pulling any other brand trailer would void your warranty.
My two questions are:
1. Why? (Besides greed..)
2. How the Hell would they ever know?

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-14-2015, 03:51 PM
Total BS......You are covered by the Moss-Magnusson Act unless you live in Canada , then I can't help you........A lot of people here tow trailers other than BRP made ones. And almost all are happier because of it.....................The BRP trailer weighs about 240 lbs , so you very limited in how much you can tow with it.........Aluminum Trailers by other makers weigh much less so your cargo go load can be much higher, some of the After market trailers weigh only 150 lbs, and cost about $1750.00............you do the math..................If you only wear MINK in the Summer by BRP...:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:....Mike :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-14-2015, 07:09 PM
Total BS......
Not necessariy! More like total idiocy on the part of the reporter. You have to have some intelligence to be able to realistically spread BS. I doubt that reporter possesses enough to know how to write BS stuff.

Madrebel
06-14-2015, 07:16 PM
Not necessariy! More like total idiocy on the part of the reporter. You have to have some intelligence to be able to realistically spread BS. I doubt that reporter possesses enough to know how to write BS stuff.

Glad to know cause it thought the same. Found one trailer that looks like a Can Am and only costs $749. I can think of a bunch of things I'd rather spend that $3-4k on!

😄

jaherbst
06-14-2015, 08:09 PM
​I have one (RT-622) and love it. It was designed to match the RT and is made of much more expensive fiberglass, Trailing suspension, two trunk lids, etc. Anyone who has used these knows the value. The expensive suspension is probably the best part. No bounce what so ever. The small aluminum trailers bounce all over, at least the ones I have ridden behind. (normal leaf springs)

I think the original post misstated the warranty. I believe it is the BRP hitch when not used voids the warranty and not the trailer.

You get what you pay for (including the import tax).

Also my wife also fits in there and can pass sandwiches up to me through the front trunk lid.:D

Jack

SpyderAnn01
06-14-2015, 11:05 PM
Here is the copy from the BRP Accessories catalog:

t]For Can-Am Spyder® RT and ST vehicles
Advanced technology and design combined with bold new styling delivers the industry’s best trailering experience — so you can head out with everything you need for as long as you want• Can-Am Spyder RT and ST Vehicle Stability System adapts for trailer
]• Lid opens with one hand and stays open with air-spring assist[/
The Can-Am Freedom Trailer comes with a 2-year warranty[/
The only trailer that maintains the vehicle factory warranty

My take on this is, if you tow another trailer and you have an issue with your Spyder caused by towing then you void your warranty for that issue. Say you blow the wiring harness on your Spyder, sorry no warranty.

jaherbst
06-14-2015, 11:35 PM
Here is the copy from the BRP Accessories catalog:

t]For Can-Am Spyder® RT and ST vehicles
Advanced technology and design combined with bold new styling delivers the industry’s best trailering experience — so you can head out with everything you need for as long as you want• Can-Am Spyder RT and ST Vehicle Stability System adapts for trailer
]• Lid opens with one hand and stays open with air-spring assist[/
The Can-Am Freedom Trailer comes with a 2-year warranty[/
The only trailer that maintains the vehicle factory warranty

My take on this is, if you tow another trailer and you have an issue with your Spyder caused by towing then you void your warranty for that issue. Say you blow the wiring harness on your Spyder, sorry no warranty.

Once again the mighty Ann has corrected me and I am humbled. Thanks Ann, I was too lazy to get my catalog out. Say while you have it out what does it say about the BRP hitch Vs the after market?

Jack

Actually it does not say anything about the vehicle warranty in the 2014 Acc. Catalog for trailers but does make this statement in the 2015 Acc. Catalog about trailers. It does state in both catalogs that the BRP hitch "is the only hitch on the market that maintains vehicle warranty requirements".

Jack again:D

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-15-2015, 12:27 AM
If, as in your harness example, the after market trailer caused the problem then yes, BRP is within their rights to deny a warranty claim. But, if the rear wheel bearing fails while you're towing a non-BRP trailer they'll have a hard time trying to claim the trailer did it. That is, if what you're towing doesn't exceed the 400# weight limit. But, if you're towing a BRP trailer loaded down to 732# and you have a bearing failure they have a valid reason to deny a claim then also.

Besides, other than not saying anything what else can BRP say? "Pull a BRP trailer and your warranty is invalid." I don't think so! :roflblack: They're just using something they are legally obligated to do, maintain the warranty, as a marketing ploy. Nothing more, IMO.

WA5VHU
06-15-2015, 12:43 AM
On sale now for $380 at Harbor Freight. Try to use the extra 20% off coupon you can find in magazines. If I was going to go on the road full-time I might look at the BRP trailer but the HF trailer works great for our occasional use. I painted the outside top/front/back edges red to match the Spyder. Then we traded for a cognac color Spyder. I think the trailer will stay red...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109620&stc=1

Madrebel
06-15-2015, 08:52 AM
​I have one (RT-622) and love it. It was designed to match the RT and is made of much more expensive fiberglass, Trailing suspension, two trunk lids, etc. Anyone who has used these knows the value. The expensive suspension is probably the best part. No bounce what so ever. The small aluminum trailers bounce all over, at least the ones I have ridden behind. (normal leaf springs)

I think the original post misstated the warranty. I believe it is the BRP hitch when not used voids the warranty and not the trailer.

You get what you pay for (including the import tax).

Also my wife also fits in there and can pass sandwiches up to me through the front trunk lid.:D

Jack

I did not misstate the warranty. This is in the Rider magazine article doing a review of the 2014 RT.
I'll gladly send you the link.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-15-2015, 08:59 AM
On sale now for $380 at Harbor Freight. Try to use the extra 20% off coupon you can find in magazines. If I was going to go on the road full-time I might look at the BRP trailer but the HF trailer works great for our occasional use. I painted the outside top/front/back edges red to match the Spyder. Then we traded for a cognac color Spyder. I think the trailer will stay red...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109620&stc=1
But if you wish , for very little money ....VHT ( paint co. ) sells "Burnt copper" SP 402 and it is a match for Cognac ....see Deanna777 PICs of Her dash surround..........You can get it in pints and quarts as well as 12oz....spray cans.......Good luck.......Mike :thumbup:

jaherbst
06-15-2015, 09:09 AM
I did not misstate the warranty. This is in the Rider magazine article doing a review of the 2014 RT.
I'll gladly send you the link.

It does not say that in the 2014 catalog but does in the 2015. Rider magazine is not an official BRP publication. It does state in both 2014 and 2015 that the BRP hitch is the only hitch that maintains vehicle warranty. Reread my post.

Jack

Madrebel
06-15-2015, 09:49 AM
[QUOTE=jaherbst;992604]It does not say that in the 2014 catalog but does in the 2015. Rider magazine is not an official BRP publication. It does state in both 2014 and 2015 that the BRP hitch is the only hitch that maintains vehicle warranty. Reread my post.

Jack

You reread mine. Never said Rider magazine was but they were quoting Can Am. Merely stated what I had read and asked other members about it.
As you stated Ann proved you were wrong in your comment.

Now, if you gotta have the last word on this and I suspect you do, go ahead.

BikerDoc
06-15-2015, 10:11 AM
In the U S , the purpose of the Moss Magnuson Act is to require that any manufacturer prove that the modification or non standard equipment used is indeed the causal factor for the breakdown/claim in order for them to deny the warranty claim.. If such proof exists then It allows them to deny that claim not the entire warranty...

BIKEMIKE
06-15-2015, 03:59 PM
I can't figure out how to down load a picture but back in the 90's I make one for my Honda Interstate 150Lb pulled it all all the time. wished I would have never sold it.

Magdave
06-15-2015, 04:10 PM
Way to go rookie member way to make friends. :thumbup: Jack has contributed a lot to the forum FYI. You? What he said is true it is BS you can pull whatever you like as long as it meets the weight & towing limits that the Spyder has. BRP can try to do what they want but there are laws against that. Just because they say it does not make it true. They said the 2013 had no issues too.

jaherbst
06-15-2015, 04:13 PM
[QUOTE=jaherbst;992604]It does not say that in the 2014 catalog but does in the 2015. Rider magazine is not an official BRP publication. It does state in both 2014 and 2015 that the BRP hitch is the only hitch that maintains vehicle warranty. Reread my post.

Jack

You reread mine. Never said Rider magazine was but they were quoting Can Am. Merely stated what I had read and asked other members about it.
As you stated Ann proved you were wrong in your comment.

Now, if you gotta have the last word on this and I suspect you do, go ahead.

Please give me me the page number in the 2014 catalog where it says this. It does in the 2015 as I said. Perhaps Biker mag was quoting the 2015 catalog which came out early.

Let me know

Jack

Madrebel
06-15-2015, 04:39 PM
Way to go rookie member way to make friends. :thumbup: Jack has contributed a lot to the forum FYI. You? What he said is true it is BS you can pull whatever you like as long as it meets the weight & towing limits that the Spyder has. BRP can try to do what they want but there are laws against that. Just because they say it does not make it true. They said the 2013 had no issues too.

Im not running a popularity contest sport, and you can take your roomie member comment and stick it. If you think you have to have a certain number of posts to make a comment you are deranged. My guess you started out as a "rookie" member. My opinion and questions are worth as much as anyone else. Grow up!

Madrebel
06-15-2015, 04:43 PM
[QUOTE=Madrebel;992617]

Please give me me the page number in the 2014 catalog where it says this. It does in the 2015 as I said. Perhaps Biker mag was quoting the 2015 catalog which came out early.

Let me know

Jack

Did you read the post?? I never said a thing about a friggin catalog. Ann was the one that brought it up. I said I read it in the review of Rider magazine. And I was asking whether it was true because I found it hard to believe.
But thanks for your help.

Madrebel
06-15-2015, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE=Madrebel;992617]

Let me know

Jack

http://www.ridermagazine.com/top-stories/2014-can-am-spyder-rt-first-ride-review.htm/

Tenth paragraph down.

Bob Denman
06-15-2015, 05:33 PM
Hey Jack,
If your Lovely Bride is passing out sandwiches from back there... ;)

...Can I get a Turkey, Swiss and bacon with Mayonnaise, on white bread please? :D

PrairieSpyder
06-15-2015, 06:04 PM
Let's talk about guns, or oil, or politics!! :gaah:

Madrebel
06-15-2015, 06:10 PM
Let's talk about guns, or oil, or politics!! :gaah:

👍🏻 Really, damn sure can't ask any questions.

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-15-2015, 07:39 PM
If you're referring to the two questions in your first post the reason they haven't been answered directly is the premise upon which they are based is fundamentally flawed and wrong. Closely note what BRP says, "...will maintain factory warranty." They DO NOT say pulling a non-BRP trailer WILL void the warranty. Those are the reporter's words, not BRP's. As I said above, logic and law tells you BRP has to maintain the warranty when you put their accessories on the bike. They do not have to honor a specific warranty claim if the failure is caused by a non-BRP accessory.

How will they know if you're pulling a non-BRP trailer? Only if they see the hitch and they can't find a sales record of you buying a BRP trailer, or you tell them, or the dealer sees it.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-15-2015, 07:50 PM
Im not running a popularity contest sport, and you can take your roomie member comment and stick it. If you think you have to have a certain number of posts to make a comment you are deranged. My guess you started out as a "rookie" member. My opinion and questions are worth as much as anyone else. Grow up!

:clap:.....You go Guy.....They are a part of the Elitist Naysayer's ( a small group thank goodness ) Group that pretty much AGREE'S with EVERYTHING that BRP has to say.....................Anyone here who doesn't conform to their view is slammed ...for just about anything they say....Mike :thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-15-2015, 07:52 PM
And I was asking whether it was true because I found it hard to believe.
Calm down, man! No, you did not ask in your first post if it was true. Your question was written such that it reads like you believed it to be the case and wanted to know why it was the case. You've also repeatedly gone back to the article in Rider mag. What we're trying to tell you is the reporter is flat out wrong in the way he wrote it. He could not have been quoting BRP because we have never seen BRP use the phrase, "...will void." They have only ever said, "...will maintain." Big difference.

Buy whatever trailer you want. Just don't pull more than the recommended 182 kg (401 lbs) with a tongue load of 18.2 kg (40 lbs) and you'll never have a warranty claim denied because of it.

jaherbst
06-15-2015, 07:55 PM

This is not a direct quote. If it were it would have these " ". Still waiting for the page number in the 2014 catalog. It does not exist. First year it was printed in the "official" Bombardier Recreational Products Spyder catalog was 2015. Some Lawyer trying to protect from liability I suppose.

So what does this mean? All Spyders prior to 2015 can pull aftermarket trailers without voiding the warranty. I Don't know. I do know you have to have the BRP hitch when towing any trailer as this has always been pointed out in the catalog for any year. I do not know, nor do I want to spend my money testing it. I have also never heard of anyone having this problem so I am not, nor should you lose any sleep over it. It would not void the entire warranty any way, only the part that the after market trailer damage done to the Spyder. i.e. electrical, canbus, hitch.etc.

Things written in other than official BRP catalogs or brochures are sometimes just not true. Lydia says, "don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see".

By the way Bob what kind of sandwich was that you wanted my wife to pass up through the front trunk lid of my mighty RT-622 trailer?:joke:

Jack

jaherbst
06-15-2015, 08:09 PM
Hey Jack,
If your Lovely Bride is passing out sandwiches from back there... ;)

...Can I get a Turkey, Swiss and bacon with Mayonnaise, on white bread please? :D

I've got her on the intercom right now and will pass this back to her in the trailer. How much bacon did you want?:joke:

Jack

Madrebel
06-15-2015, 08:12 PM
Calm down, man! No, you did not ask in your first post if it was true. Your question was written such that it reads like you believed it to be the case and wanted to know why it was the case. You've also repeatedly gone back to the article in Rider mag. What we're trying to tell you is the reporter is flat out wrong in the way he wrote it. He could not have been quoting BRP because we have never seen BRP use the phrase, "...will void." They have only ever said, "...will maintain." Big difference.

Buy whatever trailer you want. Just don't pull more than the recommended 182 kg (401 lbs) with a tongue load of 18.2 kg (40 lbs) and you'll never have a warranty claim denied because of it.

Oh I'm calm. I never mentioned the catalog that the other poster kept bringing up. That's why I was stating my source.

Madrebel
06-15-2015, 08:18 PM
This is not a direct quote. If it were it would have these " ". Still waiting for the page number in the 2014 catalog. It does not exist. First year it was printed in the "official" Bombardier Recreational Products Spyder catalog was 2015. Some Lawyer trying to protect from liability I suppose.

So what does this mean? All Spyders prior to 2015 can pull aftermarket trailers without voiding the warranty. I Don't know. I do know you have to have the BRP hitch when towing any trailer as this has always been pointed out in the catalog for any year. I do not know, nor do I want to spend my money testing it. I have also never heard of anyone having this problem so I am not, nor should you lose any sleep over it. It would not void the entire warranty any way, only the part that the after market trailer damage done to the Spyder. i.e. electrical, canbus, hitch.etc.

Things written in other than official BRP catalogs or brochures are sometimes just not true. Lydia says, "don't believe anything you hear and only half of what you see".

By the way Bob what kind of sandwich was that you wanted my wife to pass up through the front trunk lid of my mighty RT-622 trailer?:joke:

Jack

You're waiting for the page number from who?? I told you I never mentioned the catalog. I've never even looked thru one. Start at the top and read it over again. See? No mention of catalog in my post.

jaherbst
06-15-2015, 08:20 PM

I truly think you owe Magdave an apology for this. This is unacceptable and you are out of line. PM him and tell him you're sorry. He is a great guy and provides a lot of useful information for those of us on this forum.

Don't be a Mad-rebel here as your name implies. Try to maintain a sense of humer and contribute.

Jack

Madrebel
06-15-2015, 08:22 PM
:clap:.....You go Girl.....They are a part of the Elitist Naysayer's ( a small group thank goodness ) Group that pretty much AGREE'S with EVERYTHING that BRP has to say.....................Anyone here who doesn't conform to their view is slammed ...for just about anything they say....Mike :thumbup:

LMBO!

Madrebel
06-15-2015, 08:36 PM
I truly think you owe Magdave an apology for this. This is unacceptable and you are out of line. PM him and tell him you're sorry. He is a great guy and provides a lot of useful information for those of us on this forum.

Don't be a Mad-rebel here as your name implies. Try to maintain a sense of humer and contribute.

Jack

Lol! You really wanna know how I feel about what you think? I really don't care for yours or his input on anything else. There's seems to be other folks on this forum who seem to be more helpful and less smart-assed than you two. Maybe you boy can look at catalogs together.
I'm threw with this post so you and chuckles have the last word. 👍🏻

jaherbst
06-15-2015, 08:45 PM
Lol! You really wanna know how I feel about what you think? I really don't care for yours or his input on anything else. There's seems to be other folks on this forum who seem to be more helpful and less smart-assed than you two. Maybe you boy can look at catalogs together.
I'm threw with this post so you and chuckles have the last word. 👍🏻

My My!

sandeejs
06-15-2015, 09:13 PM
​Also my wife also fits in there and can pass sandwiches up to me through the front trunk lid.:D
Jack
So, can your wife lie down in it? I want to go camping with my Spyder, but I am too @(#*&$ old to get up and down from the ground to sleep in tent.
~Sandee~

Magdave
06-15-2015, 09:26 PM
My My!
Well Jack ya can't fix stupid must be true. Here I thought we both told him the correct answer but he want's to believe the funny papers instead of the official BRP Can Am catalogue and people like my self that actually worked manufacturing vehicles. He is off to a great start here on the forum. :dontknow:

Rottieluvr
06-15-2015, 09:30 PM
This is my 3rd one. Morbid? Unique? WTF? They got a LOT of attention and comments. (Mostly positive). My take is it is a large metal box on wheels. Long? Yes. Heavy? No. Less than 200# empty. It will get painted Cognac. The pic of 2 leaving my drive is father/son that bought #1 & #2.

jaherbst
06-15-2015, 09:40 PM
Well Jack ya can't fix stupid must be true. Here I thought we both told him the correct answer but he want's to believe the funny papers instead of the official BRP Can Am catalogue and people like my self that actually worked manufacturing vehicles. He is off to a great start here on the forum. :dontknow:

Ya got that one right Dave! Such an attitude for a beginner. Mad rebel fits him perfectly. He does not want the official facts, only what he reads off of the magazine rack to be the truth.
Maybe I'll write a song about that. Or maybe not.

Jack

jaherbst
06-15-2015, 09:44 PM
This is my 3rd one. Morbid? Unique? WTF? They got a LOT of attention and comments. (Mostly positive). My take is it is a large metal box on wheels. Long? Yes. Heavy? No. Less than 200# empty. It will get painted Cognac. The pic of 2 leaving my drive is father/son that bought #1 & #2.

Some could sleep in that. I could not. I would stay up all night worrying someone would lock the lid.:yikes: It is certainly an attention getter and you probably would not have to worry about someone opening it up to steal something

Jack

Bob Denman
06-16-2015, 06:56 AM
I'm threw with this post so you and chuckles have the last word. ����

This isn't FaceBook, and we don't behave in this manner...
Disagreeing is perfectly normal... insulting folks over it; isn't.