PDA

View Full Version : A discussion on the value/danger of adding a seat belt

pitzerwm
06-14-2015, 11:50 AM
I put this thought on the thread about the accident in MI but no one picked up on it.

Since from what I've seen so far, the Spyder accidents don't seem to roll them over. Which means that the driver/passenger are sent flying. I'm wondering if a seat belt, I know the old lap belt only, wouldn't be safer. I've flipped two cars and the seat belt saved me from injury or maybe death. Up here the migrants are always getting in wrecks and with no seat belt get thrown out of the car and die.

Your thoughts?

Bob Denman
06-14-2015, 11:53 AM
:shocked: Nape...
Not my Bike...
Not Never... :shocked:

I have acted as a Spyder Crash Test Dummy... :opps:
Being tied to the bike, would open you up to a whole new and interesting bunch of injuries... :yikes:

BajaRon
06-14-2015, 12:13 PM
I can't see it as a good thing.

With the way government is into our lives with everything from what theaters can put on your popcorn to what size drink you can order. Their lack of promoting this idea would indicate that even they don't think it is a good idea.

WEB-WVR
06-14-2015, 12:28 PM
I would think there would have to be a lot of professional testing done on a possible seat belt for a Spyder. If the damn thing did roll, no roll bar/cage......and you are strapped to it....could be a terrible outcome.

I have read of numerous 2 wheel motorcycle accidents where the rider got off the crashing bike, some slid on their back...and received little to minor injuries.

For me....it remains a question ? :hun:

whiteyron
06-14-2015, 01:30 PM
I personally would give this a big NO THANK YOU! :shocked::shocked::yikes::yikes:

ARtraveler
06-14-2015, 01:39 PM
Also a big no from akspyderlady and myself. I don't want to be attached to the crumple zone.

Along the same lines--how does the airbag work on the Gold Wings? Good, bad? Always wondered about them. This is a known commodity and has been around a few years now.

cuznjohn
06-14-2015, 01:43 PM
i say no also, but if the wing can have a air bag than why not a spyder

Deer Slayer
06-14-2015, 02:08 PM
I have played Rag doll a couple of times at 55 mph or so and after seeing the Goldwings I was very happy that I was not still with the machine. All the gear all the time works. Seat belts? my vote nope...:cheers:

Deer Slayer
06-14-2015, 02:11 PM
Nothing like being launched into another county by an airbag. Look at all the car recalls, shrapnel too! :yikes::cheers:

WEB-WVR
06-14-2015, 02:15 PM
One thing that would work; instant canolli ! Remember the car canolli from the movie Demolition Man with Snipes, Stallone & Sandra Bullock ? :shocked:

Video link:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RnyhkBU1yaw

cuznjohn
06-14-2015, 02:22 PM
One thing that would work; instant canolli ! Remember the car canolli from the movie Demolition Man with Snipes, Stallone & Sandra Bullock ? :shocked:

Video link:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RnyhkBU1yaw

now that would be something to sink your teeth into

grumpybob
06-14-2015, 02:23 PM
Been down a couple of times, once at 65 MPH. No seat belt and/or airbag for me. Just don't want to be tied to 1100 lbs. of hurt.

SpyderAnn01
06-14-2015, 03:25 PM
How about the personal airbags? I think they are a vest type garment with a tether that deploys the air bag if it is detached from the bike.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-14-2015, 03:36 PM

:gaah:......Thanks John , you just raised the cost of the Spyder $ 4,000..........Got any more bright idea's ?????...Mike

wyliec
06-14-2015, 04:56 PM
:gaah:......Thanks John , you just raised the cost of the Spyder $ 4,000..........Got any more bright idea's ?????...Mike

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uAYmnjwYsNM#t=23

Much cheaper, if you're into airbags, and seat belts, and looking like the pillsbury dough boy.

Bob Denman
06-14-2015, 05:02 PM
:shocked: What if you get T-Boned at an intersection...

...And end up with the bike on TOP of you; sliding down the road??? :yikes: :barf:

pitzerwm
06-14-2015, 05:24 PM
:shocked: What if you get T-Boned at an intersection...

...And end up with the bike on TOP of you; sliding down the road??? :yikes: :barf:

Most of the answers showed a little forethought, in this case a T-bone, if they hit you, a broken leg, belt or no belt or airbag. With a belt, you probably wouldn't smash into their windshield. If it went over, the front wheels would create a space for your leg and the saddlebags if you had them. I don't see it going totally over in a "in town collision". Look at the pixs in the wreck in MI, even though the bike is pretty messed up, he couldn't have been any worse off being as he is dead.

When you go off the bike you are going to land at some point. The odds of you having much control of how is pretty low. As for the government thinking about it, I doubt it. They only react when there is a big disaster. The Slingshot has belts and other that your center of gravity being lower, you still have a problem. If their "cage" is built well, that is a plus.

The jacket with an airbag built in sounds like an idea. I can't see an airbag in a bike without the belt because you need to stay put and let the bag cushion your forward motion. If you are flying over the windshield I don't see a bag, doing its job.

When seat belts first came out no one wanted to be "Trapped in the car" Now only an idiot doesn't use theirs. Just because its never been done, doen't make it a bad idea:)

jwood4242
06-14-2015, 05:25 PM
I vote for the personal airbag:yikes:

Bob Denman
06-14-2015, 05:38 PM
Most of the answers showed a little forethought, in this case a T-bone, if they hit you, a broken leg, belt or no belt or airbag. With a belt, you probably wouldn't smash into their windshield. If it went over, the front wheels would create a space for your leg and the saddlebags if you had them. I don't see it going totally over in a "in town collision". Look at the pixs in the wreck in MI, even though the bike is pretty messed up, he couldn't have been any worse off being as he is dead.

Once again... If we're speaking directly about a side impact (T-Bone...): you won't hit the windshield, because the lateral forces of the impact will not stop you that quickly...
But that's the LEAST of your problem... :yikes:
The only thing that might take some weight off of you, is the top trunk... Everything else that normally is closer to the ground, would now be part of the half-ton of weight that is pressing you to the pavement.
There'll be a spot down around the seat, where you might find some respite... your bellybutton might come out of this alive...
Being thrown from the bike is NEVER a great idea... but being tied to it; unthinkable with the current technologies...

pitzerwm
06-14-2015, 06:00 PM
Once again... If we're speaking directly about a side impact (T-Bone...): you won't hit the windshield,..

I was referring to hitting the car's windshield, which I'm thinking is a possibility.

If it only goes on its side the front tires would hold if off of you. If they hit you hard enough to flip it upside down, I doubt if you are going to be good in any situation.

Watching Utubes of in town MC wrecks, all being 2 wheelers, the rider goes flying. The bike only goes down because there is nothing to hold it up. I'm thinking in low speed crashes, if you weren't hit directly and the bike didn't flip, you'd be better off staying with the bike. In a car before seat belts/airbags, it didn't take much speed to put your face into the windshield.

robmorg
06-14-2015, 08:33 PM
I put this thought on the thread about the accident in MI but no one picked up on it.

Since from what I've seen so far, the Spyder accidents don't seem to roll them over. Which means that the driver/passenger are sent flying. I'm wondering if a seat belt, I know the old lap belt only, wouldn't be safer...
Your thoughts?
FWIW, it wasn't that long ago where a member here reported he was in a similar rear-end accident on an RT. The entire back of the Spyder was crushed. He saw it coming at the last minute and stood up and braced for the crash. Amazingly, if I recall correctly, he was not seriously injured. If he'd have been wearing a seat belt he would have been.

BlueLghtning
06-14-2015, 08:44 PM
Wasn't it mentioned that the rider in the MI crash wasn't wearing a helmet? I think if anything, this is the biggest piece of safety gear to save your life, especially a full face helmet that gives you full protection.

The seat belt debate is interesting, but I'm thinking I'm going with the majority here that I'd rather be geared up and not attached to the bike.

flaggerphil
06-14-2015, 11:44 PM
In a car you have a safety cage around you...thus the seatbelt and airbag to help keep you in the safety cage. On a bike or Spyder there is no cage...thus wearing a helmet and safe clothing.

Seat belt on a bike? Nope.

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-15-2015, 12:04 AM
Wasn't it mentioned that the rider in the MI crash wasn't wearing a helmet?
That was some speculation offered up here because of the baseball cap lying in the street. AFAIK nothing definitive has been stated by those in the know.

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-15-2015, 12:10 AM
Not directly applicable to the discussion here, but my brother-in-law went through rigorous police m/c training a number of years ago. One of the admonitions was if you go down on a two-wheeler, say like losing it in a corner or wherever the rear tire slides out from under you, hang onto the bike as much as you can. If you're going to slide through a fence, or into a tree or pole, let the bike clear the way for you. Don't put yourself between the obstacle and the bike by letting go because you'll outpace the bike in a slide.