PDA

View Full Version : Error P1641

suzi spyder
06-13-2015, 09:57 PM
Help!! My Spyder is showing an error code of P1641. Symptoms are:

1. No Power
2. At idle it seems to miss on one cylinder.
3. In Neutral it sometimes will not rev past 3K to 4K.
4. When in gear it acts like its running on one cylinder and has a loud heavy knock as if it were about to throw a rod.

My husband is a pretty decent amateur motorcycle mechanic and we have the service manual but he is stumped. He says it sounds bad and he is afraid to mess with it. I really hate the idea of hauling it 100 miles to the dealer. Help will be appreciated.

suzi spyder
06-13-2015, 10:19 PM
OOps a typo in the error number. It is P1614.

:opps:

JayBros
06-13-2015, 10:34 PM
The code deals with a throttle idle sensor error, I believe. It requires B.U.D.S. Computer to reset. Dealers have the computer.. You did not say what year and model of Spyder.

suzi spyder
06-13-2015, 11:10 PM
The code deals with a throttle idle sensor error, I believe. It requires B.U.D.S. Computer to reset. Dealers have the computer.. You did not say what year and model of Spyder.

You are right I left off what Spyder I have.

2010 RTS SE5

I am not so concerned with clearing the code but the loud heavy engine knock has us quite concerned.

thanks.

SpyderAnn01
06-13-2015, 11:25 PM
I think a trip to the dealer is in your future. Sorry.

bruiser
06-14-2015, 08:31 PM
Hate to tell you this. That is exactly what my wife's 2010 RTS was doing last fall at Spyderquest. Turned out to be the throttle body. Same code, same symptoms. Expensive fix.

JRWW
06-14-2015, 08:39 PM
My bike is the same as yours and had the same problem. Throttle body replaced under warranty. However the problems lies with oil from the breather getting into the air cleaner and then gumming up the throttle body. My fix was to fit catch can and replace the air cleaner with JT's air cleaner. Best of luck.

suzi spyder
06-14-2015, 09:20 PM
I had a nice ride on it tonight, no problems. They seem to come and go. Start it and get check engine warnings. Turn off, start again check engine warning. Did that about 5 times and then started with not warnings. Road it to dinner, went to WalMart, to a friends house, then home, stopping and starting with not problems once it started clean at home.

I will call the dealer Monday morning and likely haul it up there sometime this coming week. Thanks for the comments.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-14-2015, 10:25 PM
I think JRWW, may be correct on this one, if this were my spyder I would take off the the top of the Air Box and look inside ....if you see a lot of OIL on the plastic then JRWW is probably right............I would get some spray carb cleaner at the AUTO parts store and follow the directions on the can......If there is a lot of OIL the air filter may be useless and needs to be replaced .....I recommend getting a K&N they need oil on them to work so oil won't bother them like the OEM one will.......Also take the tube connecting the bottom of the air cleaner off ( left side of engine ) and plug the hole in the plastic box.....Then put a GAS filter on the tube from the engine.............I think this may solve your problem, if not You haven't hurt anything.......Mike :thumbup: