PDA

View Full Version : E-Z Pass Report...

Bob Denman
06-13-2015, 05:49 PM
Hi Guys! Last year; we finally got registered with the E-Z Pass system here in New York, and got the modules for our two "cages", and one for the Spyder.
The Spyder seemed problematic; I first mounted it on the underside of the Frunklid with the Velcro that was supplied. Every time I let the lid down in less than the gentlest manner; the darn thing would end up at the bottom of the frunk! (Where it doesn't get read!! :banghead:)
I initially settled on just using two-sided tape (The really good stuff!), and sticking it to the top of the dash. It worked okay; but it looked like CRAP up there. I also feared that some punk could easily ruin my day, should he want to take it home as a "prize"... :shocked:
Over the Winter, I decided to mount it right up on the front of the frunk. I loosened up the frunkliner, and used lots of Duct Tape, to mount it to the front wall... Once I put the liner back in place, it's location is only barely noticeable by a bulge... :thumbup:

...And it Works!!! :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes: Today was my first chance to get out onto a Toll Road, and the location is a good one to use!
I'll try to get some pictures of it sometime this week... ;)

trikermutha
06-13-2015, 05:53 PM
I leave mine under the rear trunk inner flap and works fine when I go thru tolls

donkes
06-13-2015, 06:12 PM
I leave mine under the rear trunk inner flap and works fine when I go thru tolls

I found that very interesting. :clap:

Bob Denman
06-13-2015, 06:26 PM
:agree::nopic::2thumbs:

Gator37
06-13-2015, 07:05 PM
I hate tolls and avoid whenever possible. Seattle area has gone toll crazy.

NoLmtz
06-13-2015, 08:40 PM
In Texas the toll authority told me to take my tag off completely as they tie the account back via the license number. The good is I don't have to worry about placement. The bad, it usually takes a couple of months for them to actual reconcile the charges to my account.

trikermutha
06-14-2015, 10:08 AM
:agree::nopic::2thumbs:

Here ya go!

kentompkins
06-14-2015, 10:19 AM
I have had mine in the small glove compartment on all three of my Spyders (2008, 2013, 2014). It has always worked there even under glasses, ear plugs, candy bars and LED flashlight.

ken tompkins

cuznjohn
06-14-2015, 11:23 AM
i staple mine to my forehead, it hurts at first but it does work well for the toll gates

trikermutha
06-14-2015, 11:26 AM
i staple mine to my forehead, it hurts at first but it does work well for the toll gates

Got a PIC :roflblack:

Bob Denman
06-14-2015, 11:33 AM
:shocked: Doesn't that make your eyes tear-up too much for riding??? :shocked:

TrikerM... That's a good spot... but it's right where I have my XM radio mounted! :gaah:

cuznjohn
06-14-2015, 11:43 AM
well i tried it at first on my chest. but i had to shave the one hair i had there and it took 64 years to grow it. and like i said it does hurt at first but once your brain goes numb it is not a problem

trikermutha
06-14-2015, 11:50 AM
:shocked: Doesn't that make your eyes tear-up too much for riding??? :shocked:

TrikerM... That's a good spot... but it's right where I have my XM radio mounted! :gaah:

You can mount it anywhere in the trunk as I had it laying in there before I moved it to that location. :thumbup:

Vidman
06-15-2015, 07:11 AM
Hi Guys! Last year; we finally got registered with the E-Z Pass system here in New York, and got the modules for our two "cages", and one for the Spyder.
The Spyder seemed problematic; I first mounted it on the underside of the Frunklid with the Velcro that was supplied. Every time I let the lid down in less than the gentlest manner; the darn thing would end up at the bottom of the frunk! (Where it doesn't get read!! :banghead:)
I initially settled on just using two-sided tape (The really good stuff!), and sticking it to the top of the dash. It worked okay; but it looked like CRAP up there. I also feared that some punk could easily ruin my day, should he want to take it home as a "prize"... :shocked:
Over the Winter, I decided to mount it right up on the front of the frunk. I loosened up the frunkliner, and used lots of Duct Tape, to mount it to the front wall... Once I put the liner back in place, it's location is only barely noticeable by a bulge... :thumbup:

...And it Works!!! :yes::yes::yes::yes::yes::yes: Today was my first chance to get out onto a Toll Road, and the location is a good one to use!
I'll try to get some pictures of it sometime this week... ;)

Awaiting pics.

On Saturday 6/7 I took a trip to Lake George. I had mine in leather windshield bags. Misread 3 times so I held it in my hand coming back. EZ pass charged me for entire i90 length cuz it read entering at plaza 1 and 10 hours later exiting same plaza. Never read exiting in Albany or re-entering there a few hours later. A dispute with exit numbers etc got it rectified within 3 days.

Now I need a better location. However I am gun shy after that experience.

Bob Denman
06-15-2015, 07:19 AM
If the weather co-operates, I'll get some pictures this afternoon...:thumbup:
Albany's tollbooth read mine perfectly... TWICE!

oldguyinTX
06-15-2015, 10:33 AM
I have had mine on the inside of the frunk lid for two years, never fallen off, always gets read. I think the trick is, when you use the heavy duty plastic "velcro" supplied with the tag, you have to push the tag really hard until the two "velcro" pieces literally snap together. You can both feel it and hear it. Anyway, it has worked for me.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109632&stc=1

Bob Denman
06-15-2015, 11:00 AM
That's not a bad spot...

...but it did make it tougher to get my helmet in the frunk; it would hit the module, and then I'd have to start shifting it around, in order to find the way to make it fit... :shocked:

oldguyinTX
06-15-2015, 01:43 PM
That's not a bad spot...

...but it did make it tougher to get my helmet in the frunk; it would hit the module, and then I'd have to start shifting it around, in order to find the way to make it fit... :shocked:

I put my helmet in the frunk upside down and it has not been a problem for me. Tag stays where it is put.

cuznjohn
06-15-2015, 01:49 PM
i have mine attached to the windshield with the plastic Velcro they give you, it never moves

flaggerphil
06-16-2015, 10:00 PM
I have a Florida SunPass...it has two suction cups on it for the windshield. I keep mine stuck on the underside of the windshield when on the road and just lock it up in the back trunk when I'm parked. Works fine.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109743&stc=1

trikermutha
06-16-2015, 11:42 PM
after watching mine bounce off my windshield to the dash then to the hwy I decided to just put in the trunk..
Lesson learned don't assume you put the I pass on the velcro properly..:lecturef_smilie:

Bob Denman
06-17-2015, 08:03 AM
:agree: :shocked:
I should be able to get some pictures today... :thumbup:

Dan McNally
06-17-2015, 08:24 AM
I had a problem with mine coming loose from the supplied Velcro-like attachment . . . then I discovered you could order more, for free, online. Now I have the whole back of the EZ Pass covered with the Velcro (four pieces, instead of two) and it holds very well . . . underside of the frunk

Bob Denman
06-17-2015, 10:01 AM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109756&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109757&stc=1

trikermutha
06-17-2015, 10:40 AM
Does the Duct tape actually hold on that long? :roflblack: Sorry had to throw that out there..

Bob Denman
06-17-2015, 10:46 AM
Between the Duct Tape and the frunkliner; it hasn't moved at all! :thumbup: :D

Papa
06-17-2015, 10:52 AM
Like others, I don't carry the ez pass. The Spyder is registered online and they just take the tolls out of my account. Don't forget to register your trailer also.