PDA

View Full Version : 2009 Cruiser and Sportbike models?

Mr Safety
12-19-2008, 11:32 AM
In my constant searching for info about spyder options, I came across a short article that stated that BRP will be coming out with a Cruiser and a Sportbike version of the Spyder in late 2009. Has anyone else heard of any such developments? I'm about to buy an SE5 but I was wondering if the cruiser edition would be any different from the current Spydy design.:chat:

Lamonster
12-19-2008, 11:45 AM
welcome

How about a link to that article. :doorag:

Director
12-19-2008, 12:12 PM
welcome

How about a link to that article. :doorag:

Lamont, I did a Google search and found this article. It might be the one he is referring to:

http://www.news.com.au/couriermail/story/0,23739,24663681-5010760,00.html

The author was talking to the Australian product manager for BRP, who said, "New Spyder models - one "cruisey" and one "sporty" – will arrive late next year."

This is the only reference I have seen to late 2009 being a target date for new Spyder models.:dontknow:

Bruce

LRCulpepper
12-19-2008, 12:24 PM
if anyone sees or hears anything else about a new cuiser model please post the links....i am looking to buy a 2nd one for wife but would love to get one more set for crusing and maybe with a larger motor....

Roaddog2
12-19-2008, 12:49 PM
In my constant searching for info about spyder options, I came across a short article that stated that BRP will be coming out with a Cruiser and a Sportbike version of the Spyder in late 2009. Has anyone else heard of any such developments? I'm about to buy an SE5 but I was wondering if the cruiser edition would be any different from the current Spydy design.:chat:welcome:thumbup:

Mr Safety
12-19-2008, 01:11 PM
Yep that's the article I had read. Just wondering if anyone had heard any other news

BRPjunkie
12-19-2008, 02:34 PM
This would be consistent with BRPs launch of the Sea Doo back in 1988. The 1989 model year was basically the 1988 design, but picked up all the little improvements flushed out in year one. I know because I owned a 1988 and 1989 and still have the 1988. It was the 1990 model year that they brought out different models. With the Spyder SM5 and SE5 models, they have plenty of bugs to work out in the 2009 model year. Unless the economy turns around and they rehire some of the laid off staff, they could postpone other 2010 models.

bjt
12-19-2008, 05:13 PM
Interesting article.

The company has even hired consultants to lobby state governments to change laws so it can be driven on a car licence as is the case in most US states, most of Europe and for the past six weeks in New Zealand.

What makes the Spyder more like a car than a bike is the single foot-operated brake, the parking brake, electronic power steering, stability control, a reverse gear and the fact that it doesn't lean or counter steer.

The electric-hydraulic, semi-automatic transmission version gives even more weight to the company's argument for car licence status.

The statement they make about only requiring a car license in most US states isn't correct and I couldn't find anywhere in the article that related the headline of Trans-Am Spyder SE5 to Can-Am. Must have been a misprint.

bone crusher
12-19-2008, 05:28 PM
The Spyder a car...only the SE5 version...

The SM5 still requires a motorcycle-like gear shift...sure, it's like a manual transmission, but there's still more skill as you need to steer, throttle, clutch, change gears, and brake...use all 4 limbs...

Many cars use paddles now so there isn't even the clutch/gear changing like in standard manual transmissions...not as much dexterity needed for a car...even when I drove stick, it was a lot easier than a motorcycle...

I think the Spyder is more like a bike than a car...

shunkmanitu
12-19-2008, 05:44 PM
Does "Crusey" mean "Harley-like" or is that what us Yanks would call a "touring" model?
SS

Star Cruiser
12-19-2008, 06:32 PM
Interesting article.
The statement they make about only requiring a car license in most US states isn't correct and I couldn't find anywhere in the article that related the headline of Trans-Am Spyder SE5 to Can-Am. Must have been a misprint.

In Canada, if it is licensed as a "car" you can use a car drivers license. Of course you would need to wear a seat belt when you drive a "car". I'd rather ride ON it, without a seat belt, AND wear a helmet (of course).

Director
12-19-2008, 07:34 PM
Does "Crusey" mean "Harley-like" or is that what us Yanks would call a "touring" model?
SS

Shunkmanitu, I am not an Aussie (Canadian, eh?), so I am just guessing here, but I think what they mean by "cruisey" is "cruiser-like" i.e., feet forward, laid-back riding position, pull-back handlebars, as opposed to the current sport-touring Spyder position.

Bruce

LDFIREWORKS
12-19-2008, 08:33 PM
welcome

bone crusher
12-20-2008, 02:03 AM
Gee...I wonder if they'll come out with a convertible model?

:hun:

fred
12-22-2008, 04:28 PM
following threads covering licence requirements... here is what is happening in Quebec

In June 2008, a pilot project on use of the Spyder roadster produced by BRP was introduced. Under the project, 100 holders of a passenger vehicle driver's licence are authorized to drive this vehicle on Québec's roads.
Data collected will enable the SAAQ to determine rules for use of this type of vehicle, training and driver evaluation requirements, as well as the class of licence that will be required.

no timeline mentioned...

It will be interesting to see what happens and if this does come to pass.. how would it affect riding out of province.

happy holiday everyone...

bjt
12-22-2008, 05:41 PM
Hmmm.... Back in June they had around 300 Spyders tooling around Quebec for a long weekend. I wonder what the SAAQ thought about that? :D :joke:

Director
12-22-2008, 05:57 PM
Hmmm.... Back in June they had around 300 Spyders tooling around Quebec for a long weekend. I wonder what the SAAQ thought about that? :D :joke:

I am sure everyone there was properly licensed with a full motorcycle endorsement. :D:D:D

LDFIREWORKS
12-22-2008, 06:08 PM
:2thumbs::2thumbs: