PDA

View Full Version : Weeper hole causing me to cry

Ben Burped
06-11-2015, 11:06 PM
My 2010 RT began to "piddle" coolant whenever I parked it. I bought some UV leak detector fluid and poured one in the coolant. I started the RT and as soon as it got warm, I could see a glowing flow with my black light flashlight and fluorescence enhancing yellow glasses. Damn, it was way back there behind all the hoses. I removed most of the hoses, the radiator, and slowly worked my way back to the water pump and removed it. Damn again, I had to remove the clutch diaphragm cover and the whole clutch cover with it's 14 bolts to get the coolant pump shaft out. Finally, I thought it's going to be alright now. Wrong ! I discovered that the bearings for the crankshaft and the counterbalance shaft were missing quite a bit of the plating inside. My dealer courteously ordered a clutch housing and is going to try to get it covered under my B.E.S.T. warranty. Is this something that I can expect to replace every 10,000 miles ?

gypsy_100
06-12-2015, 06:41 AM
Is this something that I can expect to replace every 10,000 miles ?[/QUOTE]

One of those things that should last forever but occasionally don't. I had mine replaced four times in 20K. Usually started leaking again in just a couple thousand miles. Each time BRP paid to replace more and more parts trying to get to the bottom of it. Fourth time seems to have been the charm as I put 20K on since then and it's perfect. If you're doing the work yourself, the new shaft and mechanical seal come already assembled as getting the seal onto the shaft without damaging it is not easy. But use care in pressing that unit into the clutch housing. It's a ceramic seal with precise tolerances. Hopefully your first repair will be your last as has been the case for many others. I'm just lucky that way.

Bob Denman
06-12-2015, 07:12 AM
When they're good; they're great! :thumbup:
When they're bad; they're AWFUL! :gaah:
Sorry to hear that you're having difficulties with them. Once your dealer replaces the offending parts; you should be good to go!

Ben Burped
06-15-2015, 11:46 PM
Is this something that I can expect to replace every 10,000 miles ?

One of those things that should last forever but occasionally don't. I had mine replaced four times in 20K. Usually started leaking again in just a couple thousand miles. Each time BRP paid to replace more and more parts trying to get to the bottom of it. Fourth time seems to have been the charm as I put 20K on since then and it's perfect. If you're doing the work yourself, the new shaft and mechanical seal come already assembled as getting the seal onto the shaft without damaging it is not easy. But use care in pressing that unit into the clutch housing. It's a ceramic seal with precise tolerances. Hopefully your first repair will be your last as has been the case for many others. I'm just lucky that way.[/QUOTE]

I bought BRP's special tool to press in the water pump shaft/seal. I also bought the seal installation tool for installing the oil seal inside the w/p shaft seal. Even learned about Kluber paste lubricant to lubricate the oil seal with when installing it. If I hadn't found damaged bearings in the clutch cover for the crankshaft and the counterbalance shaft, I would be putting things back together. Trying not to get more depressed. I was hoping for a July 4th ride, but now I have my sights firmly set on Labor day weekend.

finless
06-16-2015, 09:23 AM
I bought BRP's special tool to press in the water pump shaft/seal. I also bought the seal installation tool for installing the oil seal inside the w/p shaft seal. Even learned about Kluber paste lubricant to lubricate the oil seal with when installing it. If I hadn't found damaged bearings in the clutch cover for the crankshaft and the counterbalance shaft, I would be putting things back together. Trying not to get more depressed. I was hoping for a July 4th ride, but now I have my sights firmly set on Labor day weekend.

Ooops.....

Check this thread should you decide to do it yourself.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?70166-Bearing-Pieces-in-oil&highlight=rebuild

Bob

Ben Burped
06-27-2015, 10:45 PM
Finished putting the RT back together after the weeper hole nightmare. This is definitely not something to be taken lightly. However, it made the first ride as sweet as anything I can remember.

finless
06-28-2015, 09:23 AM
Finished putting the RT back together after the weeper hole nightmare. This is definitely not something to be taken lightly. However, it made the first ride as sweet as anything I can remember.

So you replaced the crankshaft bearings?

Bob

Ben Burped
06-29-2015, 09:26 PM
So you replaced the crankshaft bearings?

Bob

The new clutch cover came with bearings installed. I greased the bearings and journals with the recommended PATAMO grease at $60.00 for a tube. I had the recommended 3.2 quarts of oil in it when I started it for the first time. Added a full quart of additional oil to bring it up to full. Made some scary noises for the first few second when it was started but quieted down as it pumped itself full of oil.
I had no idea how extensive the job would be, but I'm glad that I personally did it. Everything that I removed went back in with new parts.

finless
06-30-2015, 08:58 AM
Ah OK so it was not the crank case bearings which basically requires the engine to be split apart.

Good to hear.

Bob