PDA

View Full Version : Spyder accident in Redford, Michigan

SPYD1
06-11-2015, 10:28 PM
Bad news! A 56 yr old man was killed on a white RT limited after being rear ended by a vehicle at an intersection. Prayers to the family. Doesn't sound like he had a chance. :pray::pray:

gman214
06-11-2015, 10:35 PM
Prayers for the family

Larry rt
06-11-2015, 10:39 PM
Condolences to the family!

AppleSpyder
06-11-2015, 10:59 PM
I am so sorry, he was so young. I hope the family has a little comfort knowing he was doing what he loved. :pray::pray::pray:

Mexican
06-11-2015, 11:06 PM
Not good:sour:

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-11-2015, 11:48 PM
Bad news! A 56 yr old man was killed on a white RT limited after being rear ended by a vehicle at an intersection. Prayers to the family. Doesn't sound like he had a chance. :pray::pray:
A couple of links about it.

http://www.hometownlife.com/story/news/local/redford/2015/06/10/motorcyclist-sent-hospital-accident-inkster/71020624/

http://accidentdatacenter.com/us/michigan/detroit-mi/redford/15/06/10/56-year-old-motorcyclist-killed-crash-car-broken-traffic-light-inkster-road-and-lyndon-redford

Traffic light was not working. 37 year old woman driving a Chrysler hit him. Alcohol and speed not considered to be factors. Nothing more said about why the woman hit him.

cuznjohn
06-12-2015, 03:53 AM
what a shame, :pray:

jwood4242
06-12-2015, 06:59 AM
This is very sad and one of my personal greatest fears while on the road on my bike or in my auto. So many people are distracted while driving, I wish something could be done to help all of us be more aware and alert.
My heartfelt condolences to the family of this gentleman and to the other person involved in the accident. It must be a terrible thing for everyone involved.:pray:

Bob Denman
06-12-2015, 07:02 AM
:shocked: Senseless... :banghead:
There's a reason that she, "didn't see him"..., and I hope that they nail her hide to the wall; once they find it! :gaah:

spydaman60
06-12-2015, 07:06 AM
sad story! most likely avoidable. prayers out to family and friends!!

Kwalsh
06-12-2015, 07:27 AM
one of my absolute worst fears is getting run over from behind, thats the reason i am always in gear and looking in the mirrors at any intersection
unfortunately this was avoidable and she should be charged

Roadster Renovations
06-12-2015, 07:37 AM
Prayers to the family! That is just tragic. Lately, especially in heavy traffic when stopping at a light, I will angle the bike a little between lanes. Might not make any difference, but it might push the bike in between the cagers ahead instead of sandwiching the bike between if hit from behind. I watch my mirrors and stay in gear also.

R&L Limted
06-12-2015, 07:39 AM
So sad, RIP - prayers for family:(

Big F
06-12-2015, 08:20 AM
:shocked: Senseless... :banghead:
There's a reason that she, "didn't see him"..., and I hope that they nail her hide to the wall; once they find it! :gaah:

My two cents says the "reason" will probably be a fricking cell phone?????????????
BIG F

sduskin
06-12-2015, 08:25 AM
This reminds me. When I had a trailer hitch put on my wife's RT-S, the salesman commented that since it bolts directly to the frame and is car bumper height... It was like adding extra armor onto the back of the Spyder. Didn't remember that until reading the news report on how the gentleman was rear-ended while stopped at an intersection.

ChicoFowler
06-12-2015, 08:43 AM
Prayers to the family - totally senseless and avoidable

PrairieSpyder
06-12-2015, 08:55 AM
So very sad. I wonder if the man was a member here.

Pirate looks at --
06-12-2015, 08:55 AM
I hope this is not going to be a case of someone having to get that last little text off and not paying attention. If so, prison time should be the punishment. We lost a great member of out SRA group out here in Sacramento to a texting idiot, and as Finless has said this is rampant out here. The other day I was driving in my car on I5 and in the fast lane there was a red Mercedes driving rather erratically at about 80 mph. I decided to get around this person quickly as they appeared to be driving under the influence. Nope when I passed here was a woman, no hands on the wheel texting. Needless to say I had a few choice words for her as I passed. The look on her face was like, "what's your problem!" Unfortunately just like drunk drivers, the texting driver all too often seem to survive:banghead::banghead:.

Bob Denman
06-12-2015, 09:01 AM
This is one of the reasons that I don NOT purchase silver, gray, or white vehicles... :shocked:
They seem to be the colors that "blend in" the most.
While this may NOT be the reason that this driver hit him; I want my bike to really stand out from all of the other visual "stuff", that goes on...

Pirate looks at --
06-12-2015, 09:08 AM
This is one of the reasons that I don NOT purchase silver, gray, or white vehicles... :shocked:
While this may NOT be the reason that this driver hit him; I want my bike to really stand out from all of the other visual "stuff", that goes on...
Now the insurance guy tells me I have a target on my back. Ugh! Just kidding Bob!

Bob Denman
06-12-2015, 09:20 AM
:shocked: Sorry... I LIKE white... :thumbup:
If I owned one; I'd add lights, and some vinyl to make it more noticeable. That's all! :2thumbs:
It's a dang shame to feel as if you HAVE to do these things... :banghead:

bronzeflex42
06-12-2015, 09:25 AM
So sad :pray::pray::pray: to the family...

hobbykim
06-12-2015, 09:39 AM
She may on the phone or text while driving,I saw alot on the road every day ,people don't think till problem coming.Sorry for him and family

WEB-WVR
06-12-2015, 12:26 PM
This is very sad and one of my personal greatest fears while on the road on my bike or in my auto. So many people are distracted while driving, I wish something could be done to help all of us be more aware and alert.
My heartfelt condolences to the family of this gentleman and to the other person involved in the accident. It must be a terrible thing for everyone involved.:pray:

Very well said and condolences to his family. :pray:

It just shows you that you can be a safe and defensive rider and s_it like this still happens. I know when I am at a red light I always watch the vehicles pulling up behind me...if it looks like they are not stopping...I am outa there !...reaction times are of course an issue. I was in a big heavy Pontiac back in 1974 at a red light. I was rear ended by a Mustang doing 50 mph... shoved my car into the car in front and they had to pick the Mustang up off my trunk. It happens...

ARtraveler
06-12-2015, 12:43 PM
Our thoughts and :pray::pray: go with the family. If there was distracted driving involved on the part of the woman, I hope she is prosecuted.

Good luck with that though, looks like the Detroit area to me (Livonia).

Rockwall
06-12-2015, 01:29 PM
Always terrible to hear this kind of thing. God Bless the family. There are always real hazards out there.

Buggy
06-12-2015, 01:47 PM
Very sad....my thoughts are with his family. I think distracted driving has surpassed DUI as the number one threat to other drivers no matter what they are driving!

finless
06-13-2015, 08:30 AM
Here is the TV news story on this.

Looks like they will be checking the ladies phone for distracted driving. That is what the news reported said.

Also details showing the seen, looks like he was not wearing a helmet.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/29292155/redford-traffic-signal-at-fatal-crash-not-working-for-days

Bob

jaherbst
06-13-2015, 09:58 AM
Flashing brake lights may of helped mounted high on the trunk to get attention. Maybe, maybe not. You are a sitting Duck at stop lights and even Stop signs. Bright clothing and the continuous flashing brake lights when stopped is about all we can do other than outlawing cell phones in cars--that's not going to happen.

Since they outlawed texting while driving here in Tucson I notice no decrease in practice. People are doing it anyway. Perhaps a device that blocks off cell reception in cars while running would be the answer. Just another unrealistic pipe dream.

Jack

robmorg
06-13-2015, 12:49 PM
one of my absolute worst fears is getting run over from behind, thats the reason i am always in gear and looking in the mirrors at any intersection
unfortunately this was avoidable and she should be chargedThat is one of my worst fears as well. I'm also always looking behind me whenever I have to stop. PLUS, I installed the Signal Dynamics Wig-Wag brake modulator (http://www.signaldynamics.com/backoffwigwag). I like the way it alternates from one side to the other, and then changes to flashing both sides simultaneously. People behind me on rides tell me that it REALLY gets their attention.

robmorg
06-13-2015, 01:09 PM
Since they outlawed texting while driving here in Tucson I notice no decrease in practice. People are doing it anyway. Same here in Pennsylvania. I don't know why the cops let it go. And talking on cell phones is just as bad. The other day I watched some crazy woman get in her car in a parking lot and immediately put her cell phone up to her ear. Then she proceeded to back out of her parking space into traffic with one hand while holding the phone with the other. What was she thinking?? :shocked: She was already parked! GEESH!!!

JayBros
06-13-2015, 01:43 PM
The other day I watched some crazy woman get in her car in a parking lot and immediately put her cell phone up to her ear. Then she proceeded to back out of her parking space into traffic with one hand while holding the phone with the other. What was she thinking?? :shocked: She was already parked! GEESH!!!

I've seen that in all kinds of places, supermarkets, doctors offices, church, you name it. Just self-absorbed people mentality, get in the cage and proceed with whatever you want to do. Oh, and if you want to drive that's OK too!

hill27
06-13-2015, 04:58 PM
so so sad:pray:

Bob Denman
06-13-2015, 05:29 PM
Based on the amount of damage that I'm seeing, and comparing it to other accidents of this type; she never touched her brakes... :gaah:

sduskin
06-13-2015, 06:53 PM
Flashing brake lights may of helped mounted high on the trunk to get attention. Maybe, maybe not. You are a sitting Duck at stop lights and even Stop signs. Bright clothing and the continuous flashing brake lights when stopped is about all we can do other than outlawing cell phones in cars--that's not going to happen.

Since they outlawed texting while driving here in Tucson I notice no decrease in practice. People are doing it anyway. Perhaps a device that blocks off cell reception in cars while running would be the answer. Just another unrealistic pipe dream.

Jack

My thoughts to out to that man's family and friends. And that lady will have to live with what she did for the rest of her life.

Cell blockers are illegal per FCC regulations. You cannot even legally buy one in the US. 8 yrs ago, I designed and had a working model that blocked cell service in a vehicle (2.5m range from center) IF the vehicle was in motion. Took it to an attorney and his research found the regulation.

NHTSA study done 3 years ago indicated that texting while driving was similar to driving at 4x the legal limit for alcohol. I hate to see another life lost or ruined, but if an example was made of an offender, and the news picked up on it, then and only then will progress be made in stopping texting and driving.

JohnnyK
06-13-2015, 07:13 PM
A couple of links about it.

http://www.hometownlife.com/story/news/local/redford/2015/06/10/motorcyclist-sent-hospital-accident-inkster/71020624/

http://accidentdatacenter.com/us/michigan/detroit-mi/redford/15/06/10/56-year-old-motorcyclist-killed-crash-car-broken-traffic-light-inkster-road-and-lyndon-redford

Traffic light was not working. 37 year old woman driving a Chrysler hit him. Alcohol and speed not considered to be factors. Nothing more said about why the woman hit him.

It seems like the news wants to blame the traffic light or those responsible for its maintenance. Isn't it clear that the cause of the crash was that she didn't stop. She is totally responsible. Why didn't she stop? Well I don't think it matters if she knew the law about broken lights because I doubt she even saw the light or bike. Probably had her head buried in her phone. If your involved in an accident and it is found that you were using a phone at the time it ought to be an automatic suspension. Just like DUI's

Just so sad.

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-13-2015, 07:42 PM
It seems like the news wants to blame the traffic light or those responsible for its maintenance. Isn't it clear that the cause of the crash was that she didn't stop. She is totally responsible. Why didn't she stop? Well I don't think it matters if she knew the law about broken lights because I doubt she even saw the light or bike. Probably had her head buried in her phone. If your involved in an accident and it is found that you were using a phone at the time it ought to be an automatic suspension. Just like DUI's

Just so sad.
IF, and it's a big IF at this point in time, she was using her phone when she hit him, her life is ruined. Makes no difference if she was a secretary, heart surgeon, or a CEO, her life is ruined. We ALL need to remember it only takes a moment of inattention to destroy our entire life. Even when we're just ryding our :spyder2:s.

finless
06-13-2015, 08:17 PM
In the tv news report it looked pretty clear the rider was not wearing a helmet.
They showed a sceen of his hat laying in the road.

I wonder if his death would have been prevented by wearing a helmet?

Would be good to know what his injuries were so we could all learn from it.

Bob

wyliec
06-13-2015, 08:27 PM
IF, and it's a big IF at this point in time, she was using her phone when she hit him, her life is ruined. Makes no difference if she was a secretary, heart surgeon, or a CEO, her life is ruined. We ALL need to remember it only takes a moment of inattention to destroy our entire life. Even when we're just ryding our :spyder2:s.

Ruined? There was a fire chief around the area where I live who was texting his wife, asking the kind of pizza she wanted for supper, when he veered on to the shoulder of the road, and killed a 12 year old girl riding a bicycle. No charges were brought against him, he didn't lose his job, or his license. I believe his attorney got him off because his (the fire chief) job required he'd be able to use his cell phone at all times.

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-13-2015, 08:29 PM
Here is the TV news story on this.

Looks like they will be checking the ladies phone for distracted driving. That is what the news reported said.

Also details showing the seen, looks like he was not wearing a helmet.

http://www.myfoxdetroit.com/story/29292155/redford-traffic-signal-at-fatal-crash-not-working-for-days

Bob
For some reason the video doesn't want to play. Wouldn't even play for me when I clicked on it on the station's web site.

finless
06-13-2015, 08:35 PM
For some reason the video doesn't want to play. Wouldn't even play for me when I clicked on it on the station's web site.

Not sure why your having a problem. I watched it this AM on my PC and just watched it again just now on my phone. No problem.

Bob

Bob Denman
06-13-2015, 08:35 PM
If you think that HER life is ruined; what do you think happened to the life of her victim? :shocked:

pitzerwm
06-13-2015, 09:06 PM
His bike looks pretty creamed, but not having a helmet if true was dumb. Now the question, Should we put a seat belt on the spyder? Obviously, on a 2 wheeler, it wouldn't really help, but in light of the fact even this one didn't flip over. I'm just wondering if staying with the bike is safer than flying through the air hitting something even the ground would be worse.

Here (almost) every time there is a wreck with migrants they aren't wearing a seat belt and are thrown out of the vehicle and usually killed. I haven't riden all of that much yet, but every time that I get on the bike, my normal thought is fasten your seat belt. When younger I flipped 2 cars and the seat belt did save my life or at least from injury.

The Slingshot has belts. Just a thought.

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-13-2015, 09:35 PM
Not sure why your having a problem. I watched it this AM on my PC and just watched it again just now on my phone. No problem.

Bob
Interesting! I just watched it on my Samsung tablet. When it started on the tablet it barely started and then went to an ad. I wonder if an ad blocker in my browser hung it up. It hasn't blocked video ads on other TV web sites.

WA5VHU
06-13-2015, 11:28 PM
I keep a ball cap with my motorcycle to wear when I take my helmet off if I am going to be out in the sun as my hair is cut short and I don't want to burn. What we saw may have been his extra hat...

In the tv news report it looked pretty clear the rider was not wearing a helmet.
They showed a sceen of his hat laying in the road.

I wonder if his death would have been prevented by wearing a helmet?

Would be good to know what his injuries were so we could all learn from it.

Bob

mastertek2000
06-14-2015, 04:23 AM
Condolences to the family

gman214
06-14-2015, 06:58 AM
Same here in Pennsylvania. I don't know why the cops let it go. And talking on cell phones is just as bad. The other day I watched some crazy woman get in her car in a parking lot and immediately put her cell phone up to her ear. Then she proceeded to back out of her parking space into traffic with one hand while holding the phone with the other. What was she thinking?? :shocked: She was already parked! GEESH!!! I've witnessed cops texting and on their cells while driving. Some folks will continue to do it no matter what laws are on the books or passed.

reissooz
06-14-2015, 08:40 AM
This is a link to a horrendous accident that happened in IL where I used to live. What made it even worse was that the driver of the car nearly got off with just a slap on the wrist until there was a huge outcry from the motorcycle community. The thing I always thought about was that it didn't have to be a motorcycle, it could have been a pedestrian, or kids on bikes, etc. There was no way this woman could excuse what she did. Background information - she was a nurse, and the motorcyclist was a very experienced rider, also a woman. The intersection where this occurred is a very busy one, 4 lanes going north-south, intersecting a busy 2 lane going east-west. The impact of the collision was so severe that the victim's spine was separated from the skull and the pelvis. She had no chance whatsoever. I think of her every time I'm at an intersection.

https://shar.es/12EkAl (https://shar.es/12EkAl)

midnightbreeze50
06-15-2015, 09:42 PM
unfortunately this was avoidable and she should be charged

I Concur, Very Sad my worse Fear too!, My Condolences to the Family,

Very Sad Day for the Spyder Family, so hard Loosing one of our own.

Midnightbreeze .

tigerdr
06-20-2015, 11:18 AM
http://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/fatal-accident-in-lanaudiere

Another deadly Spyder accident yesterday in St-Cuthbert (Quebec). The Spyder was hit by behind by a car on highway 138. The Spyder passenger died last night at the hospital. She was in critical condition when EMS arrive at the scene.

The car driver was a 70 years old woman.

Vader
06-20-2015, 12:19 PM
So sad.
just wondering if it was a Spyder. Did not see anything mentioned in the article.
I myself was involved in a similar accident, thankfully I was not injured.

tigerdr
06-20-2015, 12:35 PM
So sad.
just wondering if it was a Spyder. Did not see anything mentioned in the article.
I myself was involved in a similar accident, thankfully I was not injured.

Yes, it was a Spyder....

Silas43
07-15-2015, 04:57 AM
Yeah it was a spyder. Though I couldn’t find much about it online but then I asked my cousin thinking he might have any information on this as he works with a DUI attorney Los Angeles (http://www.duilawyerlosangeles.com/) and he told me that it was a sypder. I really can’t imagine how careless people can be.

shakey
07-15-2015, 06:10 AM
So sad. Thoughts and prayers for him and his family.

Madrebel
07-15-2015, 07:23 AM

Bob, I would have thought white would have been one of the safer colors, at least of the choices offered this year. I'm still trying to decide on which one. Black is definitely out for the reason you stated. I wish they offered the red that they had in 2010-12(?).
I'll probably get white if I can find one, and light it up on the back like a Christmas tree. 😳

BLUEKNIGHT911
07-15-2015, 09:10 AM
Bob, I would have thought white would have been one of the safer colors, at least of the choices offered this year. I'm still trying to decide on which one. Black is definitely out for the reason you stated. I wish they offered the red that they had in 2010-12(?).
I'll probably get white if I can find one, and light it up on the back like a Christmas tree. ��
There is no color that can protect you from " STUPID "............I have added lots of LED's , but do not believe even they will prevent STUPID.......Mike :thumbup:

gkamer
07-15-2015, 09:12 AM

People don't realize just how far they actually travel in a few seconds. Even at a slow speed. At 30 mph a vehicle covers about 44 feet a second. You can see how far you travel in only a few seconds of distraction.

jaherbst
07-15-2015, 09:42 AM
Another reason for Custom Dynamics flashing tail light or any other brand that flashes while stopped and brake applied. Also wear a bright vest or jacket. If none of the above pump your brakes some when stopped.

As I suggested earlier, Cell Service should be blocked out when a key is in the ignition so you cannot use your device when operating a motor vehicle. You could name it Jack's Law. This happens here on a daily basis, not to mention weaving from lane to lane.

I notice on here that a few of our members have and use phones while riding. WTF Let's not point too many fingers. Stop and check your phone on occasion, don't use it while riding.

I think the worst flagrant use I have seen to date is a young man on his bicycle texting with both hands and riding with no hands on the handle bars! Can you believe this!

Jack

Bob Denman
07-15-2015, 10:51 AM
I think the worst flagrant use I have seen to date is a young man on his bicycle texting with both hands and riding with no hands on the handle bars! Can you believe this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=FxZxjgKcsPE

Yes; yes I can! :yikes:

Rockwall
07-15-2015, 01:19 PM
Very sad and RIP. This seems to be a very bad year for whatever reason in terms of motorcycle fatalities. Our national club alone has had four so far. I think the suggestion of watching behind you in gear at lights is a good one.

Darren111
07-15-2015, 04:01 PM
When I get F3 I plan to buy camera to fit on my helmet to record any accidents. Question I have if someone hits me from behind I will have no film footage because my camera is facing other way, unless there is a camera that films rear footage.

wyliec
07-15-2015, 05:00 PM
When I get F3 I plan to buy camera to fit on my helmet to record any accidents. Question I have if someone hits me from behind I will have no film footage because my camera is facing other way, unless there is a camera that films rear footage.

You can always use 2 cameras. They make them small enough. The camera will shoot in the direction pointed.

If money is no object, gopro just came out with a compact one, and there are others on the market that are less expensive.

Bob Denman
07-15-2015, 05:52 PM
:agree: If your wallet can stand the strain; use two! :thumbup:
But I'd hate to live my life waiting for the next big "oops"... and trying to record the proof of what happened. :shocked:

...But that's just me! :D

AMTJIM
07-16-2015, 10:52 AM
The Spyder is only slightly more road friendly than a motorcycle, a little more visible and less likely to fall over in gravel or ice, obviously. It can handle extreme weather and road conditions nearly as much as a car. Don't get fooled into thinking it's safe, though. Watch a motorcycle crash video, you will fly thru the air just the same. Forget about motorcycle deaths, take into account the number of deaths in auto accidents alone. Humans are operating far beyond what the physical body can handle. They have been trying to stop DUI for years, do you honestly think they will stop distracted driving via texting or eating in the car or spilling coffee in your lap...or in my case 6 years ago, bicycles coming down the mountain in your lane and crashing into a guard rail and rock wall to avoid them.
You have to do deal with humans and they have to deal with you, so deal with it. Shakespearean tragedy:Ride or don't ride!

AMTJIM
07-16-2015, 11:01 AM
Still riding, still hiking, still alive! And I took another chance with Can Am...
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?13763-Thanx-for-the-B-day-wish-The-new-me!&highlight=lemmon

dsoileau
07-19-2015, 01:08 PM
I use an app called Witness on my RAM mounted iPhone while riding. It records video loops continuously and will lock the video when the iPhone G-sensor detects an accident. Works very well. There's probably a similar app for Android.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk