PDA

View Full Version : Oil changes.

Jheck
06-11-2015, 05:40 AM
About to pull the trigger on a new Spyder RT. After the 3000 mile service, do you guys really go 9000 miles between oil changes? This seems like a long time to me.

mastertek2000
06-11-2015, 05:46 AM
not there yet but i don't think so i think i will do mine ever 5000

Woodsrider
06-11-2015, 06:40 AM
Haven't reached it either. I'm having mine done again at the 9300 service which will be a little over 6k on the current oil and filter. I'll likely go to 5k changes from there.

donkes
06-11-2015, 06:53 AM
the book says 9000 miles but a few extra changes are cheap. Every 5 to 6 k sounds reasonable.

Bob Denman
06-11-2015, 07:11 AM
Technically; it says 9,300 miles, or one year... whichever comes first.
If I were you; I'd PM SpyderAnn1 about this topic.
She's been piling on miles quicker than anyone else in here, and takes care of the bike's servicing.
She and Joe (her Hugsband), will have a lot more insight on this... :thumbup:

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-11-2015, 07:14 AM
I follow the OIL THREADS religiously, and from what I've read as posted by the people who have sent in their OIL for TESTING. The BRP ...BLENDED OIL breaks down badly earlier than FULL SYNTHETIC OIL......I use Full Synthetic and won't go more than 5,000 miles without changing it. If your using BRP Blended 2,500 miles MAX................good luck.........Mike :thumbup:

Jheck
06-11-2015, 07:31 AM
Thanks for your input. That sounds better. I change it in my cars at 5000. Works out bout 2 x per year. I just wondered cause 9300 would make me nervous. I hope you guys won't get fed up with me. I am bringing it home today, so I will have lots of questions.

Orange Spyder Man
06-11-2015, 07:34 AM
BRP recommends 9300 miles between changes... I think most spyder owners won't ever wear out a 1330 engine by following BRP's recommendation on oil change intervals.. in fact I bet 75% of spyder owners will not own their spyder when the factory warranty is over..

osm

JayBros
06-11-2015, 08:39 AM
BRP Care is mighty stingy sharing any information thus far on how they arrived at the 9,300 mile interval. Annually makes sense just as a precaution, but 9,300??? They probably have some valid scientific information but they sure don't want to share it with owners.

If you are interested in joining some of us who want documentation on how your oil is doing, do an oil change somewhere between 4,000 and 4,500 and have the oil analyzed and post your report here. You can get a Wix analysis kit for $13 or so from a NAPA store.

FWIW, I changed mine just shy of 4,400 and switched to Mobil 1 10W-40 motorcyle oil from the BRP synthetic blend and find my transmission is shifting smoother with the full synthetic. Am awaiting analysis report.

Lew L
06-11-2015, 08:47 AM
:spyder2:

With these 3 I don't make enough milage on any of them in one year. SOOOOOO- I change the oil once a year reguardless of miles.

Kaos

Exditchdigger
06-11-2015, 09:02 AM
My son teaches auto mechanics in Anchorage Alaska and just went through a class on oil . The GM rep said the US. has no standards

on blended synthetic as to the amount of synthetic in the blended oil. It can be less than 5 percent and causing a lot of problems with the new engines.

His recommend was to use only full synthetic. I use Amsoil 10w 40 in my aircraft and spyder. Both Rotax engines,

Mr. White
06-11-2015, 09:10 AM
I note on my Mobil 1 15w-50 synthetic jug it says good for 15,000 miles. As said earlier, I change my oil at 10K because it is easy to remember and have done this for 30 years or so on my vehicles. I use Mobil 1 in my Gold Wing and Amsoil 10w-40 motorcycle oil in my Spyder. Why? Because I got a good deal on some Amsoil.

As we went through this oil change discussion a couple of weeks ago, I already know some will not agree with me and the 10K oil change and I don't encourage others to do it. I have done this for 30+ years without an oil induced failure. Actually I have never had an engine failure of any type other than a bad throttle body on my 2011 RT and this was not oil related.

Hey, change your oil when you think it should be changed. :spyder2:

grumpybob
06-11-2015, 10:31 AM
I change my oil every Spring whether it needs it or not. After sitting in the garage thru the winter( as long as 7 months) to much condensation for me. so I plan on every Spring.

Purple Guy
06-11-2015, 12:23 PM
I change mine every 6000 km, 4000 mi

WEB-WVR
06-11-2015, 01:11 PM
At my first service (have the 998 engine) I am switching to Amsoil Full Synthetic....I plan to change my oil every 5k or every other year. Now you may ask, why every other year? :

I am semi retired and also have 2 muscle car show cars that I show all Summer long. They get very little miles, using synthetic oil and IMO and in speaking with other car show-collector guys...we have decided that every other year is fine. So few miles, stored in warm garages....it is a waste of money and effort to change oil each year. We have observed no negative results. In addition, I of course have a daily driver.

Since I have so many things to drive and ride...the Spyder for me is my motorcycle fix, pleasure rides....more local than long distance (for now anyway ;) ). The Spyder is stored in a warmed & insulated garage, it will not be riddin hard or get a lot of miles on it....so I will go every other year on full synthetic changes. If riding or miles change then I would re-evaluate that.

I would of course respect your opinions on this ! :shocked:

QUESTION: My first service I will probably have a dealer do as other things need to be checked and to have it on record....after that...she is mine. I plan to take my Amsoil in for the dealer to use at the first service. Have any of you had dealers refuse to use your oil choice ?

Happy Summer riding everyone ! And for those of you that live in sunny year round States....we hate you ! :yes:

Jheck
06-11-2015, 04:04 PM
Thanks for all your answers to my question. I have always changed my oil in my motorcycles every three thousand miles unless I was in the middle of a trip. But I am not familiar with the Rotex motors and in some things the Europeans are way a head
of us, hence my question.
A question for Orange Spyder Man. Why do you think that 75 percent of Spyder owners will not own there spiders after the warranty is up? I kept one 79 goldwing for 120,000 miles. And the dealer where I am getting my Spyder from has 3 goldwing trades one with 85,000and two with 101,000 miles. Was hoping to get that out of my Spyder. Just wondering.

jerpinoy
06-11-2015, 04:41 PM
My friend change his oil every month and I said your crazy and wasting oil and money. He smiled and said "I just add".:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

WEB-WVR
06-11-2015, 04:43 PM
Back in the 70's and 80's I changed my cycle oil every 3K also....as years went on my opinions changed that with synthetic....the products got better. :thumbup:

Mazo EMS2
06-11-2015, 05:02 PM
I generally just change mine in the fall so it doesn't sit all winter with crummy oil in it. I likely won't even hit 5k this summer but we'll see. I've got a free oil change coming from the dealer, so I'll likely get it done mid summer, and then I'll do it myself again in the fall. It's $40 in the grand scheme of things...not a big deal to do it more often, but more than every 5k seems a little overkill with today's oils

ARtraveler
06-11-2015, 07:13 PM
Yep! A good point. 3,000 then 12,000 (9000 miles later), then every 9000 or once a year--whichever comes first.

It is going to vary for a lot of us.

My first was actually at 4,500--a week later than prescribed--could not make it in at 3000. Then--did it at the beginning of this year 9,500 or so on the odometer. Now coming up on 15,000. Looking like I will have a change at 18,000 or so this season--don't think I will make it to 27K for another--this season.

There have been some big discussions pro and con about the new oil change intervals for the 1330 triple engines.

Mine is most likely going to be changed earlier than recommended, most of the time, since I like to start out fresh and checked out at the beginning of every riding season.

I do side with those that do not believe that BRP would have longer oil change intervals if it were detrimental to the 1330 engine. I do know that they were trying to make maintenance less expensive though. Six of one, half dozen of the other??

Mr. White
06-11-2015, 08:10 PM
You North Country folks, please do not come to south Texas as you will be unhappy. We ride the year around down here and wear our scoots out quickly.... :roflblack:

:spyder2: