PDA

View Full Version : Short ride uncovered issues?

chasmyer
06-10-2015, 11:38 PM
Wife and I went on a short ride last night about 45 or so miles. I noticed that my right hand started to numb as if falling asleep, it was quite uncomfortable. If I dropped my arm down for a few seconds it went away for a bit. My butt started to burn as well, numbness not heat. I found myself moving around alot in the seat. My wife said she had a great ride, very comfortable. I have the comfort seat and standard handlebars with the grip puppies. Any ideas/recommendations on how to either move forward, handlebar positioning or better seat? (2014 RT)

BajaRon
06-10-2015, 11:45 PM
Wife and I went on a short ride last night about 45 or so miles. I noticed that my right hand started to numb as if falling asleep, it was quite uncomfortable. If I dropped my arm down for a few seconds it went away for a bit. My butt started to burn as well, numbness not heat. I found myself moving around alot in the seat. My wife said she had a great ride, very comfortable. I have the comfort seat and standard handlebars with the grip puppies. Any ideas/recommendations on how to either move forward, handlebar positioning or better seat? (2014 RT)

How many miles do you have on your Spyder?

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-10-2015, 11:47 PM
I would say if the problem persists you need to talk to a neurologist. You may have some nerves being pinched because of reasons not necessarily related to handlebar and seat configuration.

chasmyer
06-10-2015, 11:49 PM
I've got 989 miles on my RT. I only get the numbness issue when riding the RT thats why I think maybe I'm stretched out too much or possibly set back too far.

SpyderAnn01
06-11-2015, 12:19 AM
You might like the TriAxis handlebars, you can bring the bars closer to you.

cuznjohn
06-11-2015, 12:40 AM
i have the same problem with my right arm, only time i use cruise control. mine is from a bulging disk in my neck

Bob Denman
06-11-2015, 07:07 AM
I hate to say this :shocked:...
Sometimes; it's not the bike...
Have this checked out by your physician.
My hands go numb also...

donkes
06-11-2015, 07:12 AM
OMG I hope you don't have to trade this in for a Harley. My hand goes numb but takes just a few seconds to shake it off. :shemademe_smilie:

granpa in Cincy
06-11-2015, 07:23 AM
Take your wallet out of your back pocket. nojoke

stormtrooper
06-11-2015, 07:41 AM
My hand always got numb on Harleys.But my 2014RT with grip puppies and Tri-axis bars no/nothing not a issue.

JacCh
06-11-2015, 07:52 AM
Try relaxing your grip on the bars a little.

JayBros
06-11-2015, 08:09 AM
Do not disregard the OP comments about checking with your doctor, particularly if you've made a lot of trips around the sun.

You have the comfort seat. Did you get it for mandatory additional leg room? If not try sliding forward a couple of inches or, better yet reinstall the stock seat and see how things work.

I agree with Ann about the Tri-Axis bars, like mine very much, but try less expensive alternatives first. JMO.

PrairieSpyder
06-11-2015, 08:48 AM
I had that problem until I got the tri-axis handlebars. But you should check with your doctor.

wyliec
06-11-2015, 09:17 AM
I agree with the person who mentioned the wallet in the back pocket, in regards to your butt burning. Since it's your right hand going numb, and that is the side with the throttle, it could be the position of your wrist in combination with a too tight grip. I also agree with seeing your doctor, if the wallet or too tight grip, and wrist position don't apply.

Based on what I've seen with patients in physical therapy, this is one of those times that I don't believe it's necessary to start with your doctor. However, when someone comes on here and complains about their spine (neck and back), that's when I say go to your doctor and don't try the spyderlover cures first. JMO

sharp
06-11-2015, 09:39 AM
I had right hand numbness till I got a carpal tunnel operation. Never any numbness now.

BajaRon
06-11-2015, 10:06 AM
My hand always got numb on Harleys.But my 2014RT with grip puppies and Tri-axis bars no/nothing not a issue.

I'v heard that with Harley's, everything goes numb!

jwood4242
06-11-2015, 10:16 AM

I agree, probably not the bike although getting your handlebars closer to you may help the problem. Also using your cruise control so you can change the position of your right arm will help. The next time it happens try bending your neck forward or to the left and see if it resolves the numbness. If so probably a nerve irritation in your neck.

finless
06-11-2015, 10:18 AM
All that I had to do to get comfortable.

Comfort seat
AirHawk R seat pad
Tri-axis handlebars
NVB pegs
Block off plate

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O9Xna_VjqOc

Bob

sduskin
06-11-2015, 10:55 AM
Mine is caused by fracturing C5 & C6 and tearing 2 disks in my neck 11 yrs ago. If I hold my arms up in any stationary position I have that problem. Also have the problem if my arm is moving and I am gripping too tightly (like when raking the yard). Surgeon told me it was due to compressed nerves in my neck. His solution was to change my grip up occassionally, or like you have been doing, drop the arm for a short bit.

The relaxing your grip, sitting closer, or the handle bar suggestions might change your position enough to minimize or eliminate the symptom.

-Steve.

ARtraveler
06-11-2015, 02:14 PM
Sorry to hear of the numbness issues.

I do note a bit of vibration in the bars on my 2014 compared to either the 2010 or 2011. It has not been a big problem to me, I change the position of my right hand a lot, do use the cruise on longer highway rides, and do not grip the throttle very tight.

I caught a 2 minute or so piece on Dr. Oz. the other day that made a bit of sense. People tilting their heads forward--as in texting-- put additional load on their spines as in 60# or so compared to 8# with the head in the upright position. Some who have back issues will then end up with numbness, etc.

A repositioning (as in TriAxis bars) may help you with a more upright position. Dr. first--TriAxis second or later.

I do hope you can get the issue solved.

beadaholic
06-11-2015, 05:44 PM
I find that for my woman's hand the clutch (mine is a Standard 6) that I get a sore hand, and also it goes numb sometimes. I wish the clutch was more soft, I have tried changing the number, but I still do not have a good sweet spot. I haven't bought anything to change my setup yet, and probably will when I know more about my Spyder. I have a 2014 too, is yours the Semi-automatic or the Standard?

chasmyer
06-12-2015, 12:46 AM
Mine is a semi-auto SE6. Thanks everyone, some really great ideas. I especially like the wallet idea and think that it will help putting it in my jacket or vest pocket. I like the Tri-axis handlebar idea but damn those things ain't cheap, wow. And to have them installed probably will be the same cost as the bar, lol. But if I can't find someone selling a set I may just have to suck it up and buy them,,,,,Thanks for all the great replies!!:bowdown:

chasmyer
06-12-2015, 01:09 AM
Is there a seat that moves you closer to the handlebars?

Bob Denman
06-12-2015, 07:07 AM
I find that for my woman's hand the clutch (mine is a Standard 6) that I get a sore hand, and also it goes numb sometimes.
These folks offer custom levers... It might be worth a look! :thumbup:
http://www.pazzoracing.com/

jaherbst
06-12-2015, 09:27 AM
I'v heard that with Harley's, everything goes numb!

What is it with all this Harley Bashing?

Jack

Machinegunner
06-12-2015, 09:56 AM
With only 989 miles on the bike, I would guess your grip is too tight. When I got my first Spyder in 2008 I tried to wrestle the bike. When I learned to just relax and drive the numbness went away. Too tight a grip will restrict the nerves in your hand. It worked for me.

MyEleanor
06-12-2015, 10:14 AM
How different people are. I have had five motorcycles over my riding career so far. Four of them since 2008. I have had right hand numbness with all of them except for the spyder. Three were v-twins (Kawasaki Vulcan 900, Victory Vision and Victory Cross Country) and one was a BMW (R1200RT). Used grip puppies on the BMW but not the others. For me I think it was the seating position. When I first got the spyder I also got the driver backrest. I felt way too close to the handlebars and thought about getting the comfort seat or another seat that would put me back a couple of inches. But I let it go until I got used to the spyder and now find myself very comfortable. Maybe all I needed was to be closer to the handlebars. Whatever the reason, the stock spyder seat with the backrest and stock bars work great for me. I also used the airhawk seat pad to help with comfort.

jwood4242
06-12-2015, 10:24 AM
What is it with all this Harley Bashing?

Jack

Seems like usually it's Spyder bashing!

Tango
06-12-2015, 10:29 AM
Well, I have the same problem. Empty your rear pockets like others have said. I have also had surgery to remove 2 of the 3 herniated discs in my neck. That third one gives me problems now and then. Tri-Axes handles help, so does an Ultimate seat. Butt, expensive! :yikes: I use the cruise when I can. I also use a wrist rest/throttle rest add on. It all helps, butt doesn't get rid of the numbness. Also have highway pegs. You need to experiment to see what works. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

DJFaninTN
06-12-2015, 11:33 AM
get yourself one of these and you can thank me later.

http://shop.crampbuster.com/assets/images/crampbuster-cb2.jpg

WEB-WVR
06-12-2015, 12:19 PM
Look at your riding position, the posture. Sit on the bike, sit up straight...grab the bars.....does it feel like a comfortable position ? Have your wife take a photo of you from the side, on the Spyder....so you can see:

Are you sitting up straight thus no/little forward weight pressure on your wrists and hands ?
Or, are you leaning forward even slightly which could put more strain on your hands ?...if so....you may want to consider handle bar risers to alleviate this.

As other said....it could be a neurological issue. I have neuropathy in my hands and really bad in my lower legs and feet. My fingers are slightly numb now just typing this to you. In my case.....not much they can do for it...the drugs side effects are so bad...I wont take it until the pain is unbearable. :shocked:

Check out that riding position. :thumbup:

dlby
06-15-2015, 12:20 PM
Switched to Spyder Nov of 2014
From Ultra Harley
(which was an awesome machine)
My right hand went numb from time to time on hd

Firsrt 1000 mi on Spyder (stiff neck,numb hand)
Next 500 miles a little better
Last 500 miles much much better!

Ive had L4 L5 fusion 17 years ago

NEVER keep anything in your back pocket

Lay your hands on bars, dont grip

Reeelaax

Dont tighten up shoulders (takes practice)

Lay right hand on top of bar or hold on to bar at the crook before the grip
6 inches in from end
(Thats for when your just cruising )

Go c dr.
GABAPENTIN or something may be in order

Dont give up its worth it once you learn how to dance with the Spyder & not try to fight it