PDA

View Full Version : 2013 RT Recall First Impression

jetmech
06-09-2015, 03:22 PM
Just got my wife's RT from shop this afternoon; wow! what a difference in cowling temp around the seat and glove box and upper cowling I would say there's about a 80% or more drop in hot air coming from around these areas. It was 95 degrees ambient when I pick it up and the air temp gauge on the dash showed 104 degrees while riding it. Seemed to have a little more power off the line also. No noticeable noise difference. I rode about 15 miles back home with no hot air from the seat area or the glove box, and the middle cowling below the seat was not hot to the touch. I stop by the grocery store when I got close to home and picked up a few things. Before going inside I raised the seat and the gas cap felt like my car gas does. I just want to mention that heat rises when there's no air flow, so when I got back on the bike the cowling was slightly warm to touch, but not bad, as the bike was sitting in direct sunlight while I was in the store. Frame under seat never got hot at all even after sitting while at the store. Engine temp stayed right in the middle of the gage, and when I got home no gas smell in garage when I parked it. By the way the air temp read 113 after my stop at the store. So far I am very impressed. Please note I had already wrapped the headers, and cat bypass, and added heat reflective wrap in many areas.
Scoops look very good on the yellow RTs. Way more fun to ride.

ARtraveler
06-09-2015, 03:54 PM
Good report. Glad the fix seems to be working. :yes:

RBS66
06-09-2015, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the report. Can't wait to get mine done.

robmorg
06-09-2015, 04:20 PM
Thanks for that report. It is VERY good news. I haven't scheduled mine yet, but will shortly. (Wanted to give the dealer an opportunity to get in a few "practice runs" before doing mine. ;) )

Chupaca
06-09-2015, 04:55 PM
And yet another pleasantly pleased customer...things are shaping up:yes::yes::ohyea::ohyea:

Bob Denman
06-09-2015, 05:02 PM
:congrats: Glad to hear that it seems to have done the trick! :thumbup:

Rob,
What are you waiting for? :shocked:

Make the call!! :D :2thumbs:

jetmech
06-09-2015, 05:21 PM
Just took took it for a 50 mile run in stop and go, and highway traffic. No more hot blast furnace. Very nice a 70 MPH on freeway no hot air coming through cowling or seat and it was 104-106 on dash air temp gage. Got home check the cap and not hot at all. Dipped the fuel tank with a ragged an it was not hot at all. I have to say it's looking good so far.

:congrats: Glad to hear that it seems to have done the trick! :thumbup:

Rob,
What are you waiting for? :shocked:

Make the call!! :D :2thumbs:

flightmedic
06-11-2015, 03:37 PM
I called to schedule recall over two weeks ago, even before the notice came. The dealer ordered the needed parts but now are on back order. So much for taking care of the warmer areas first. Talked with Can Am customer service and they have no idea when the parts will be available and not to operate the bike until recall has been completed. They should provide a loaner. To spend that kind of money and not be able to ride is crazy. I had a vacation scheduled, so much for that. Pissed

S
Just took took it for a 50 mile run in stop and go, and highway traffic. No more hot blast furnace. Very nice a 70 MPH on freeway no hot air coming through cowling or seat and it was 104-106 on dash air temp gage. Got home check the cap and not hot at all. Dipped the fuel tank with a ragged an it was not hot at all. I have to say it's looking good so far.

jetmech
06-11-2015, 03:53 PM
I thought BRP indicated they would have enough to complete the recall on all bikes by now. Maybe your dealer could call around and find out if another dealer has excess kits?

Sorry to hear your Spyder will not be taken care of quickly. Seems like BRP should issue the kits based on a vehicle VIN to ensure kits are available to fix all the 2013 RTs quickly.

I would consider Oklahoma one of the hot states. I live there, and believe me its is hot right now; today at 3 PM it was 101 degrees out in the sun.

I called to schedule recall over two weeks ago, even before the notice came. The dealer ordered the needed parts but now are on back order. So much for taking care of the warmer areas first. Talked with Can Am customer service and they have no idea when the parts will be available and not to operate the bike until recall has been completed. They should provide a loaner. To spend that kind of money and not be able to ride is crazy. I had a vacation scheduled, so much for that. Pissed

S

Bob Denman
06-11-2015, 06:49 PM
They said NOT to operate it? :shocked:
I had a friend in my office yesterday, who rides a 203 RT... They just told her to "try and avoid" stop and go traffic, and if it starts getting hot; pull over and let it cool down. :thumbup: