PDA

View Full Version : Won't move

Larry rt
06-08-2015, 01:46 PM
My brother's 2012 rt will not move.can shift to 1st and reverse but bike won't go.Any ideas from the smart ones out there?

Bob Denman
06-08-2015, 01:52 PM
By "Won't move"; do you mean that the rear wheel appears to be locked-up?
Or that the bike will not move under it's own power? :dontknow:

If the rear wheel seems to be locked-up; it's a good chance that the parking brake is not dis-engaging...
It might have slipped a pulley. :shocked:
If you follow the cable (right hand side), from the rear brake, back up into the bike; you can't miss the pulleys...
If the bike isn't moving under it's own power, but can be pushed around; you've either got engagement clutch, or belt problems...

Good Luck; please let us know what you find! :thumbup:

Larry rt
06-08-2015, 01:55 PM
Won't move under its own power. Can push it while in nutraul.

Larry rt
06-08-2015, 02:03 PM
Forgot to mention SE5

Chupaca
06-08-2015, 02:03 PM
Bob...
:agree: being you can move it about in neutrak would indicate the later, clutch problem. Start with oil check then check the linkage (shift shaft connection) if all was working fine before, shifting etc. it may be internal...:thumbup:

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-08-2015, 02:06 PM
Not real low on oil is it? I don't know if it's the case or not but low oil may keep the clutch from engaging. Low oil can muck up the shifting. Are you sure it is actually shifting into gear? Maybe it just shows it is without actually doing it.

Larry rt
06-08-2015, 02:19 PM
Oil is ok,shifted by hand,manually. Would a clogged filter do this, I know he used mobile 1 oil?

Larry rt
06-08-2015, 03:33 PM
Will tell him to take to dealer. Warranty ran out two weeks ago.

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-08-2015, 03:36 PM
Oil is ok,shifted by hand,manually. Would a clogged filter do this, I know he used mobile 1 oil?
And does not move when shifted by hand, right? You can rev the engine but no movement, right? If so, I would say you have a clutch problem. He didn't just change oil and get the filter in backwards, if that can even be done? A clogged fiter might give you some problems. I'd have to look to see if there isn't a bypass valve for that case. I would think there is.

Another thought, did he use the correct Mobil 1? If he used the automotive oil, or some additive like STP, it could cause the clutch plates to slip.

billybovine
06-08-2015, 04:25 PM
It is a centrifugal clutch with a hydraulic override for shifting. Don't need any HCM oil pressure to engage the clutch. In fact there should be no oil pressure at that time because the bypass valve is wide open.
You have oil pressure when you need it because it shifts into 1st or reverse. So the oil level should be fine and the HCM is working as it should.
The bike should roll whether it is in neutral or not. Does it?

jerpinoy
06-08-2015, 06:00 PM
Wow ,What could be the problem? How many miles it have?

Larry rt
06-08-2015, 07:21 PM
32,000 miles, moves when in nutraul, use synthetic mobile one.

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-08-2015, 08:40 PM
32,000 miles, moves when in nutraul, use synthetic mobile one.
Time to take it to a dealer. It could be the clutch, or the HCM, or the transmission control module. A malfunction in any of the three could be causing the clutch to not engage. I just did a quick review of the manual for my 13 RT.