PDA

View Full Version : Why?

mxz600
06-08-2015, 12:52 PM
Why did I have to go for a cruise in my car Saturday evening. Why did I travel down this particular stretch of road. Why did I have to be going past this certain house at that exact moment. That moment when some dumb a** mowing his lawn and blowing his crap out into the road landed a rock up the side of my car.

I stop the car and approach the guy (I was extremely calm considering the circumstances, but the look on my face might have said "KILL") and in a soft voice ask "you couldn't turn the blades off". Immediately the guy starts yelling at me to get off his property. So in a slightly elevated tone I tell him he just hit my car with a ****ing rock. Then he yells at me a little louder telling me to get off his property now or I'll be in some serious trouble. Not knowing if he has a gun on his mower I turn and walk toward my car as I'm dialing 911. As I'm talking to dispatch I tell him to cancel the call, nothing can be done about this anyway. The officer says he would like to send out a patrol car because the guy did threaten me and I agreed.

So what came out of all this was basically nothing. The guy got his wrist slapped and an education on how to mow his lawn. I still have two dents and paint missing from my car. The only good that came from me getting the police involved is if I decide to get it fixed my auto insurance can now go after his home owners policy for the repair.

The saddest part of this ordeal is that idiot will be out there next week doing the same damn thing.

If anybody out there throws grass towards the road while mowing the ditch area, STOP NOW!!!!!!! THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE DOING!!!!

I'm glad I wasn't on the Spyder and took that rock in the kneecap, or up the side of my head.

ARtraveler
06-08-2015, 01:01 PM
One of those issues that upon thinking about, could surely be avoided if the person driving the mower would not throw the stuff out of the ditch as people/cars/etc. are passing by on the road.

I used to have 300 ft of ditchline next to the road. Always on the alert for passing people/vehicles. Guess I prefer to avoid confrontations. Have about 100 ft here, but that is always done with a weedeater as a rider just wont go there.

Glad you did not get hurt.

I see Bob has some insurance info below now.

spydaman60
06-08-2015, 01:07 PM
car doors can be painted. knee replacements s---! sorry for the mishap!!

Bob Denman
06-08-2015, 01:18 PM
Technically; he's responsible for the damages... Get an estimate for them, and mail it to him with instructions to submit it to his Homeowner's insurance carrier.
If he refuses; take him to small claims court.
Be pleasant; be courteous... but be firm!

Good Luck!

If this is in an area of low populations; you could try calling the local insurance agency, and see if they write the guy. You could make an end-run right around him.

Chupaca
06-08-2015, 01:31 PM
Glad it was not more serious or got worse dealing with that guy...good suggestions above for repairs and payment.....:banghead:

cuznjohn
06-08-2015, 01:48 PM
Technically; he's responsible for the damages... Get an estimate for them, and mail it to him with instructions to submit it to his Homeowner's insurance carrier.

Good Luck!

If this is in an area of low populations; you could try calling the local insurance agency, and see if they write the guy. You could make an end-run right around him.

i hate when gardeners do the same thing around here, and most of the time it is when your just passing and have your window open. i agree with bob on the estimate, but if you mail it to him, send it CERTIFIED mail so he can't say he never got it

Bob Denman
06-08-2015, 01:58 PM
Good point: certified mail! :2thumbs:

mowin
06-08-2015, 02:23 PM
As someone who does lawn care for a living, it irkes the heck out of me when I see someone doing this, especially a lawn guy. People just don't care.

grumpybob
06-08-2015, 02:30 PM
Had this happen to me a few years back. Got nowhere with it. My Insurance ended up paying for it. The side of my new Ford Explorer was riddled with stones from the side of the road.

Good luck getting some satisfaction. I absolutely hate the idiots that take the guard off then mow along the road point the shut towards the road.

PrairieSpyder
06-08-2015, 02:40 PM

Good Luck!

If he has a mortgage, it's registered at the county. Mortgages require insurance, and the insurance co may be part of the record.

ARCTIC
06-08-2015, 03:11 PM
That sucks big time. I always move across the road when I see this and do a very exaggerated protective position hoping the dumb **** realizes what he's doing! !! I've probably had just as many or more people stop mowing as I pass by though

metman
06-09-2015, 10:53 PM
That really ticks me off too.

My philosophy is, "Grass doesn't grow in the road and shouldn't die there either".

I've lost track of how many guys I've flipped off for doing that. Unfortunately they are too stupid to know why I they got the "one finger salute", but it makes me feel a bit better.

Mike in KY

jScotD
06-09-2015, 11:35 PM
I had that happen.. still have the rock..went through the open passenger window..missed my wife's face by inches...busted my knuckle...followed him down.. he said i have insurance... I said you are just stupid...I can live with bloody knuckles.. done that before.. it's stupid I have a problem with

wyliec
06-10-2015, 01:01 PM
mxz600,

Hope everything turns out in your favor. I have a question. If you have a police report, why not let your insurance company handle it? I don't mean to have them pay. I mean, let your insurance do the foot work with the other insurance company. That's why you pay your insurance company, to let them get the headache.

Bob D.,

That last comment was not a swipe at you.

mxz600
06-10-2015, 01:39 PM
mxz600,

Hope everything turns out in your favor. I have a question. If you have a police report, why not let your insurance company handle it? I don't mean to have them pay. I mean, let your insurance do the foot work with the other insurance company. That's why you pay your insurance company, to let them get the headache.

Oh this will turn out in my favor, it usually does. My insurance company will go after his homeowners if I decide to turn it in. That is the big question, do I get it fixed? Do I run the risk of a poor paint job or future issues with non factory paint. It is just two little dents and a little chip about 1/8" wide. BUT I SEE IT EVERY STINKING DAY. I am leaning towards getting it fixed and I have not ruled out the possibility of suing this old fart. He was rude and threatened me, kind of ironic given he is the one in the wrong here. I don't know if you can tell but this guy pissed me off. And more so with his attitude than his act of stupidity.

I had to go by his house the other night to pick up pizza. I was in my truck and I wanted to pull up in his yard, put it in 4 wheel low and have a little fun.

Bob Denman
06-10-2015, 02:08 PM
A quality shop will fix it so that you'll never be able to see it... nojoke
Your Auto carrier will need to know who his Homeowner's carrier is, so that they can subrogate. :thumbup: