PDA

View Full Version : CHECK ENGINE WARNING CAME ON

speedbuggy
06-08-2015, 10:07 AM
dumbfounded!!!!!!

Yesterday, my wife and I were on a long run with our 2008 Spyder GS SM5.

We pulled into a gas station and filled up with fuel. We pulled out onto the highway and started accelerating and all of a sudden
the CHECK ENGINE WARNING INFO came on.

This has NEVER happened before to this spyder. This bike was serviced about 1 1/2 months ago. (New plugs, oil and filter, checked for codes etc.)
She runs like a kitten. Never had any problems. Very reliable.

I pulled over onto the shoulder, and shut her down. I checked the oil and coolant and everything else I could think of.
Got back on, turned the key, warning was still there.

Shut the engine down again. Check the wires to the battery, jiggled them, made sure they were tight with a wrench from the tool kit and they were.

Got back on the bike, and nothing. Everything was dead.

Shut it off, pulled out the key. I walked away from the bike to think about it, went back, got on again and inserted the key, turned
it on, and then - POWER -. No warning indicator. It's was just as if it never happened.

We got back on the bike and continued on our way without any further problems and she runs like a kitten again.

When we got home I checked everything again, and all seems OK.

I called my dealer this AM, and he said it could have been the O2 sensor, it cleared and not to worry about it.

Well folks, what do you think????????

Any feedback would be great. And thank you.

Bob Denman
06-08-2015, 10:15 AM
:shocked: Gee... it sure seems as if you checked all of the likely sources. :shocked:
Since you've already mentioned that the bike was running okay; it could have just been a sensor that is getting a bit tired... :banghead:
If it does it again; it would help if you pulled up all of the active error codes, and wrote them down...:thumbup:

..But let's hope that it doesn't pop up again! ;)

speedbuggy
06-08-2015, 10:20 AM
:shocked: Gee... it sure seems as if you checked all of the likely sources. :shocked:
Since you've already mentioned that the bike was running okay; it could have just been a sensor that is getting a bit tired... :banghead:
If it does it again; it would help if you pulled up all of the active error codes, and wrote them down...:thumbup:

..But let's hope that it doesn't pop up again! ;)

There were no codes of any kind. Just that warning message.

Bob Denman
06-08-2015, 10:25 AM
The codes don't pop up automatically; they have to be manually pulled...
Unfortunately; I'm not familiar with that process for the RS/GS bikes; I'm an RT jockey. :D

ARtraveler
06-08-2015, 11:57 AM
Sorry to hear you got the engine warning light. It is a bit scary when that happens--even more, when miles from home.

The :spyder2: does the warning screen sometimes. Most of the time, it is some kind of computer glitch.

The fact this happened when pulling out of a gas station may indicate that you tried to hurry the nanny in the start up procedure. The 2014's and 2015's with the 1330 engine like to flip you the "E" message on a quick start up.

The advice to pull up any active codes if this happens again, is good. I do not remember the procedure since it has been 2010 since I last drove my 2008 GS.

Repeating issues with warning screens indicate a take it to the dealer problem. Once and gone--not so bad.

Hoping this is the later rather than the former.

Rockwall
06-08-2015, 12:04 PM
I recently had a warning code appear and a member gave me this website to check for codes:

http://www.spyderhelp.com/Menu%20Panels/StartMobile.aspx

You should definitely check it out and see what is happening.

Bob Denman
06-08-2015, 12:09 PM
Hey D,
Do you remember how to pull the codes on the RS/GS bikes? :dontknow:

billybovine
06-08-2015, 12:19 PM
Hey D,

http://www.spyderhelp.com/tblHowToCheckCodes/ShowTblHowToCheckCodesTableMobile.aspx?

billybovine
06-08-2015, 12:26 PM
When the engine light comes on (not flashing) with the message "Check Engine". A fault has been detected in the engine management system. You could pull up the code and see what system has been affected. Maybe find a solution that way, but likely not. Drive on and if it does not go out on it's own take it to your dealer.

Bob Denman
06-08-2015, 12:30 PM
http://www.spyderhelp.com/tblHowToCheckCodes/ShowTblHowToCheckCodesTableMobile.aspx?

Thanks! :thumbup:
I knew that there was a lot of button-pushing for these bikes... :D
nojoke It's actually tougher, than the procedure for the RTs... :shocked:

ARtraveler
06-08-2015, 12:47 PM
Hey D,

Sorry, I do not. It has been 2010 since I have been aboard the 2008 GS.

Bob Denman
06-08-2015, 01:14 PM
You're like me... :D

The memory was the second thing to go...

...and you forgot what the first one was! :yikes:

speedbuggy
06-08-2015, 01:58 PM
When the engine light comes on (not flashing) with the message "Check Engine". A fault has been detected in the engine management system. You could pull up the code and see what system has been affected. Maybe find a solution that way, but likely not. Drive on and if it does not go out on it's own take it to your dealer.

The check engine light did not come on.

Chupaca
06-08-2015, 02:19 PM
Download : free for apple, my spyder and free for android, spyder codes. Roger Rattigan left these for us. There is a lot of information there including how to get codes, what they are and what to do. The check engine light is hooked up to a mirad of things. I have had it come on in several occations and so far have never found out why. The key walk cleared it and all was well again. If you have a message additional lights or codes then check deeper...:thumbup:

speedbuggy
06-08-2015, 02:33 PM
dumbfounded!!!!!!

Yesterday, my wife and I were on a long run with our 2008 Spyder GS SM5.

We pulled into a gas station and filled up with fuel. We pulled out onto the highway and started accelerating and all of a sudden
the CHECK ENGINE WARNING INFO came on.

This has NEVER happened before to this spyder. This bike was serviced about 1 1/2 months ago. (New plugs, oil and filter, checked for codes etc.)
She runs like a kitten. Never had any problems. Very reliable.

I pulled over onto the shoulder, and shut her down. I checked the oil and coolant and everything else I could think of.
Got back on, turned the key, warning was still there.

Shut the engine down again. Check the wires to the battery, jiggled them, made sure they were tight with a wrench from the tool kit and they were.

Got back on the bike, and nothing. Everything was dead.

Shut it off, pulled out the key. I walked away from the bike to think about it, went back, got on again and inserted the key, turned
it on, and then - POWER -. No warning indicator. It's was just as if it never happened.

We got back on the bike and continued on our way without any further problems and she runs like a kitten again.

When we got home I checked everything again, and all seems OK.

I called my dealer this AM, and he said it could have been the O2 sensor, it cleared and not to worry about it.

Well folks, what do you think????????

Any feedback would be great. And thank you.

Checked out to see if there were any codes. NONE. Oh well. Probably a clitch.