PDA

View Full Version : Nevada in late June

PrairieSpyder
06-07-2015, 09:02 AM
I will need to get from northeast Utah to southern Oregon in late June (on my way North to Alaska). The shortest route is across Utah and northern Nevada. I'm wondering how hot will it be there. If I have time I'd rather go north to Idaho then west. But I'm considering adding Nevada, instead, to my ryde map.

Any info, please?

Lew L
06-07-2015, 09:20 AM
Well if you want some great mountain passes, Lake Tahoe, a bit of gambling ( to pay your Nevada taxes) -----then ease your way through Reno on your way to Oregon ( state flower----moss/mold).
Shouldnt be too hot but if you don't like the Nevada weather--wait 5 minutes.

Going to Idaho could cause:::

Kaos

murphybrown
06-07-2015, 09:36 AM
Seth O introduced me to this gear...works reallllly well in heat. (I have to keep my core temp down or I will overheat easily). I have 2 vests, 2 do rags, 2 neck coolers. And when it gets above 95' I start wearing them...just like my heated gear for cold...this is a must have for me this time of year...:thumbup: And as a side note: 99 degrees today and tomorrow here in sunny Chelan!!!!

Highwayman2013
06-07-2015, 09:43 AM
Just checking accuweather for a couple towns Ely and Elko it looks like 70's and 80's.

Chupaca
06-07-2015, 09:52 AM
should not be too bad. Staying on the high side but like Murphybrown...I use heat away under and neck cooler for if it does get nasty hot. :thumbup:

easysuper
06-07-2015, 10:58 AM
Well if you want some great mountain passes, Lake Tahoe, a bit of gambling ( to pay your Nevada taxes) -----then ease your way through Reno on your way to Oregon ( state flower----moss/mold).
Shouldnt be too hot but if you don't like the Nevada weather--wait 5 minutes.

Going to Idaho could cause:::

Kaos
Hey ! Our state Flower is the Oregon Grape ! and over half of Oregon is High Desert and Mountains. Not Rain Forest. Crater Lake is a must see . We don't all have web feet , some of us only have partial web toes !

PrairieSpyder
06-07-2015, 11:01 AM
Seth O introduced me to this gear...works reallllly well in heat. (I have to keep my core temp down or I will overheat easily). I have 2 vests, 2 do rags, 2 neck coolers. And when it gets above 95' I start wearing them...just like my heated gear for cold...this is a must have for me this time of year...:thumbup: And as a side note: 99 degrees today and tomorrow here in sunny Chelan!!!!

Do you have a link, please?

murphybrown
06-07-2015, 11:05 AM
Do you have a link, please?

I just do a google search and look for "best deal"....:yikes:

SpyderAnn01
06-07-2015, 11:10 AM
Patti, are you going through Boise? We've done that so many times that this year we are going to go up through Utah to Pocatello, ID and in from the east but we have to be in Spokane before we go to Chelan so that route makes sense for us.

It could be really hot so get yourself a cool vest like Karyl mentioned. They work great here in the dry heat. Wear it under a jacket or it will dry out too quickly.

PrairieSpyder
06-07-2015, 11:57 AM
Ordered a vest from Revzilla. (While sitting in church during boring sermon.). Hoping it will arrive in time.

SpyderAnn01
06-07-2015, 11:59 AM
Ordered a vest from Revzilla. (While sitting in church during boring sermon.). Hoping it will arrive in time.

That sounds risky.

PrairieSpyder
06-07-2015, 12:19 PM
That sounds risky.

Not paying attention in church? Or ordering?

SpyderAnn01
06-07-2015, 12:26 PM
Not paying attention in church? Or ordering?

I think you know the answer to that. :roflblack::roflblack:

NautiBrit
06-07-2015, 11:24 PM
Patti,

I don't know if you've been through Salt Lake City, but that area has many great roads and you could spend a week just touring within 100 miles of the city. We're going to head up that way from Phoenix, then across to Boise.

PrairieSpyder
06-07-2015, 11:32 PM
Patti, are you going through Boise? We've done that so many times that this year we are going to go up through Utah to Pocatello, ID and in from the east but we have to be in Spokane before we go to Chelan so that route makes sense for us.

It could be really hot so get yourself a cool vest like Karyl mentioned. They work great here in the dry heat. Wear it under a jacket or it will dry out too quickly.

Patti,

I don't know if you've been through Salt Lake City, but that area has many great roads and you could spend a week just touring within 100 miles of the city. We're going to head up that way from Phoenix, then across to Boise.

I was going to go through Boise, but I decided to go to Klamath Falls, Oregon, and spend a couple days at Crater Lake; then go up to Mt. Rainier before getting to Chelan.

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-08-2015, 12:12 AM
All that area can be hot in the summer. The Mountain Home desert south of Boise can easily get to 100+ in late June, so be prepared for heat whichever way you travel. Check your route carefully. There is a dearth of east-west routes in Nevada and distances between gas stations can be long, particularly on state roads. You may be best to take the boring route on I-80 to Reno and then go north. Or, a better route IMO is to travel I-70 into Utah then move over to US 50 to cross Nevada. Less north-south travel that way than if you come to SLC area.

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-08-2015, 01:08 AM
You're going up I-15 to Missoula and then across on US 12 to Lewiston and up, or are you going over on I-90? Ever been that way? Either route you are in for one beautiful trip.

PrairieSpyder
06-08-2015, 08:57 AM
You're going up I-15 to Missoula and then across on US 12 to Lewiston and up, or are you going over on I-90? Ever been that way? Either route you are in for one beautiful trip.

No, US 40 across northern Colo, on to SLC, I-80 to Winnemucca, NV, 140 to Klamath Falls, OR. My only fuel concern is from north of Winnemucca to Klamath Falls. If necessary I'll stay on I-80 and go through Reno, then north through Cali.

Of course, it could all change, once I'm on the road.

murphybrown
06-08-2015, 09:18 AM
No, US 40 across northern Colo, on to SLC, I-80 to Winnemucca, NV, 140 to Klamath Falls, OR. My only fuel concern is from north of Winnemucca to Klamath Falls. If necessary I'll stay on I-80 and go through Reno, then north through Cali.

Of course, it could all change, once I'm on the road.

Patti...waswinger was responding to Ann's post...they are traveling thru Montana and yes MT is absolutely beautiful...I never ever get tired of ryding Montana....You will find the Crater Lake NP absolutely breathtaking...

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-08-2015, 01:16 PM
Patti...waswinger was responding to Ann's post...they are traveling thru Montana and yes MT is absolutely beautiful...I never ever get tired of ryding Montana....You will find the Crater Lake NP absolutely breathtaking...
Minor slip. Wrong quote, right answer! :thumbup:

Patti, I missed seeing 140 on the map. Take a look at it on Google Street View. It's about 180 miles from Winnemucca to Adel, OR, most all desert! Google doesn't show any real gas stations in between! But it still should be a very interesting ride! West of Adel is really pretty. As long as you're aware of what your traveling through, and prepared, you'll do OK. Would I do it? Maybe, but I'd more likely travel it in spring or fall, not mid-summer.

Did you say you have a Spot Tracker? If so that stretch of road will be a good place to have it available. Traffic will probably be pretty sparse so if you have an emergency you could be in a real hurting situation. I had a Spot but I lost it somewhere in OK. Took it out of the trunk to put it in the mount, laid it on the psgr seat, and forgot about it. Not sure I'll buy another one. Most places I would want to ride a Spyder have enough traffic I don't fear ending up helpless for long.

spydaman60
06-08-2015, 01:19 PM
Ordered a vest from Revzilla. (While sitting in church during boring sermon.). Hoping it will arrive in time.that sounds like something only i would do!!:roflblack:
:roflblack:

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-08-2015, 01:26 PM
Patti, be sure to turn onto US 40 off of I-70 at Lawson. You'll love the switchbacks between I-70 and Winter Park. I traveled US 40 two years ago on my 'wing. Really a great ride! But I didn't get to see the switchbacks, really. It was foggy! :banghead:

ARtraveler
06-08-2015, 01:28 PM
that sounds like something only i would do!!:roflblack:
:roflblack:

Let's hope the vest arrives in one piece and is not defective in any way. :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

chasmyer
06-09-2015, 12:58 AM
Depending on your time frame, Elko Nv has Elko Motorcycle Jamboree over fathers day weekend. Usually 3000 to 5000 bikes. Its a great time, live music and friendly people. Good riding as well. I would recommend I-80 from Salt Lake City Utah through Elko, Winnemucca on into Reno. The weather is scheduled to be mid 80s. Hope that helps.....

spyderyderjim
06-09-2015, 01:54 AM
I will need to get from northeast Utah to southern Oregon in late June (on my way North to Alaska). The shortest route is across Utah and northern Nevada. I'm wondering how hot will it be there. If I have time I'd rather go north to Idaho then west. But I'm considering adding Nevada, instead, to my ryde map.

Any info, please?

Hi Patti,
Probably too late a reply, as I think you already ordered the Evap vest.
But I have used Coolvest for several years in Arizona 100-115 deg summer days.
It works great keeping me cool. I have the Sport vest for the extra support strap.
I use just 2 packets in front & lasts for 3 hours, packets core temp 70 deg.
I then use the other 2 packets in front for another 3 hours.
I have 4 spare packets, so can keep cool all day riding F3S SE6 Spyder!!
Read the info about it on website.
The Military has used Coolvest for years in Iraq & Afganistan; even their Dogs.
http://store.coolvest.com/

Thank you for such a nice reply about my F3S TOURING Spyder.
Rode to Springfield, Mo/bought from Len at Pitbull April 8th 2015.
Sounds like a great ride to Alaska!!!
Enjoy.
Jim

PrairieSpyder
06-09-2015, 06:59 AM
Hi Patti,
Probably too late a reply, as I think you already ordered the Evap vest.
But I have used Coolvest for several years in Arizona 100-115 deg summer days.
It works great keeping me cool. I have the Sport vest for the extra support strap.
I use just 2 packets in front & lasts for 3 hours, packets core temp 70 deg.
I then use the other 2 packets in front for another 3 hours.
I have 4 spare packets, so can keep cool all day riding F3S SE6 Spyder!!
Read the info about it on website.
The Military has used Coolvest for years in Iraq & Afganistan; even their Dogs.
http://store.coolvest.com/

Thank you for such a nice reply about my F3S TOURING Spyder.
Rode to Springfield, Mo/bought from Len at Pitbull April 8th 2015.
Sounds like a great ride to Alaska!!!
Enjoy.
Jim

Hi, Jim. Thanks for the info. But I guess I'll muddle through with the vest I have on order. Just hope it gets her soon, as I expect it will. I'm glad you like your F3. I'll probably go with that next time, but it will be a few year before I'm ready.

NautiBrit
06-09-2015, 08:17 PM
Hi, Jim. Thanks for the info. But I guess I'll muddle through with the vest I have on order. Just hope it gets her soon, as I expect it will. I'm glad you like your F3. I'll probably go with that next time, but it will be a few year before I'm ready.

Patti,

If your vest does not arrive in time, head to your local WalMart and buy the synthetic chamois/towel that they sell for car drying or as a camping towel. They absorb and hold moisture very well and are large enough to wrap around your neck under your jacket. You can also cut one smaller to fit on your head under your helmet. Enjoy your ride, see you in Chelan.

PrairieSpyder
06-09-2015, 08:41 PM
Patti,

If your vest does not arrive in time, head to your local WalMart and buy the synthetic chamois/towel that they sell for car drying or as a camping towel. They absorb and hold moisture very well and are large enough to wrap around your neck under your jacket. You can also cut one smaller to fit on your head under your helmet. Enjoy your ride, see you in Chelan.

I got the email today that the vest will be delivered tomorrow. I actually ordered 2, so I could select a size and return the other one. So I think I'm set. See you in Washington!

PrairieSpyder
06-10-2015, 10:27 AM
Evaporative cooling vest received! Perfect fit over t-shirt. Getting closer - one week from today!! :ohyea::ohyea:

bluestratos
06-10-2015, 01:41 PM
I head to Reno each year, the weather swings widely but I would expect in the high 90's. I was there late May this year to beat the heat, it was cold and rainy for the entire week. I guess the sweet spot is the first and second week of June, I hit over a hundred in late June a few years back.

Utah Geezer
06-10-2015, 10:29 PM
I just rode from the Oregon Coast (Gold Beach back toward Utah and went through Klamath Falls. The area was extremely hot. 95-100 and breaking all sorts of records in the area according to the citizens in the area I spoke to while fueling up. It was still worth the ride. Just made more frequent stops to stay hydrated. Enjoy the ride. I loved the coast. We rode from Ft. Bragg Ca. to Gold Coast. Did all the side rides in between. Had to do Chandelier Tree and rode the Avenue of the Giants Scenic Byway. Amazing is all I can say.

I was going to go through Boise, but I decided to go to Klamath Falls, Oregon, and spend a couple days at Crater Lake; then go up to Mt. Rainier before getting to Chelan.

murphybrown
06-11-2015, 07:37 AM
Patti...I'm thinking you already have your route here in stone...but in case not...consider CA coast highway (some call it 1 others 101 or Pacific Coast Highway)...truly amazing scenery...
see you soon.

PrairieSpyder
06-11-2015, 08:44 AM
Patti...I'm thinking you already have your route here in stone...but in case not...consider CA coast highway (some call it 1 others 101 or Pacific Coast Highway)...truly amazing scenery...
see you soon.

Now that I have the cooling vest in hand, I'm moving this to another thread I had about (over)planning.