PDA

View Full Version : Key ERROR on Displayed on Console on a 2014RTS-SE6

Deanna777
06-06-2015, 06:39 PM
This happen yesterday also, I got a KEY Error Displayed on the console on my 2014RTS-SE6 it was showed up a few seconds then it went out. I try to use the same key every time when I start my :spyder2:. Everyone watch out for this. Deanna

ARtraveler
06-06-2015, 06:41 PM
You are having quite a weekend with the pop up errors. So far, have not seen the DESS.

zuni
06-06-2015, 06:57 PM
I had the DESS error on my 2014 RTS today also for the first time. Walked away for a while and tried again with the same results. Left if for longer and still had the error. I looked up and noticed I was parked under a junction of high tension power lines. I took off the parking brake and rolled the bike across the parking lot well away from the power lines. Turned the key off and right back on and the bike started without a glitch. Coincidence? Maybe but if it happens again I will look at surrounding power lines. Curious if anyone else that has had the error remembers if they were in the vicinity of high tension lines or other potential RF sources.

CJ JAX

Chupaca
06-06-2015, 07:00 PM
there were a bunch of faulty ignition switches causing these codes to appear. Many had to be changed some seemed to reset and be fine. You can check with your vin# if your was in that range. But have it checked cause you could end up stranded if it doesn't reset...:gaah:

SpyderAnn01
06-06-2015, 07:04 PM
There were also some keys that had issues and needed to have the tip filed down - that was what my dealer's tech told me.

Deanna777
06-06-2015, 07:06 PM
You are having quite a weekend with the pop up errors. So far, have not seen the DESS.I hope that I don' t have the DESS. I still have tomorrow to get thru. I will post if I get the "DESS" . Deanna

zuni
06-07-2015, 07:13 AM
there were a bunch of faulty ignition switches causing these codes to appear. Many had to be changed some seemed to reset and be fine. You can check with your vin# if your was in that range. But have it checked cause you could end up stranded if it doesn't reset...:gaah:

Is there somewhere to find that online or is it dealer only for the vin# range?

CJ JAX

finless
06-07-2015, 07:52 AM
Is there somewhere to find that online or is it dealer only for the vin# range?

CJ JAX

Unfortunately, BRP only posts safety recall on the web site. The do not post service bulletins. Those are on BOSS Web that only dealers can see.
So call the dealer and they can look it up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1tBebocmEQ

Bob

Chupaca
06-07-2015, 09:30 AM
Check on the brp site. I was told you can check there as well...you may also call it in if it's a good dealer. ..

Jheck
06-07-2015, 09:56 AM
You know every time I have made up my mind to get a Spyder RT another post like this one pops up and shys me away. It seems to me that you guys have a lot of problems with these bikes. Than there are all the posts about sway bars, the pans that go under neath the front end, seats etc. if I was fifty miles from home and came out to a failed key code I would go thru the roof. I mean we spend 30 grand to purchase these bikes ,should we not expect Gold Wing reliability. I have been riding for 45 years put a lot of miles on Hondas, Suzukis,other than regular maintenance 0 problems. The Spyder problems I have been reading bring up memories of AMF Harley and my triumph days. I really want one. But what I don't want is a deep dark money hole. So guys convince me why I should buy one. Because I got a great deal going on a left over 2014 RTS . But I am very hesitant.

Don in E Texas
06-07-2015, 03:11 PM
I had a couple of issues on my 2014 RT-S -- Dealer replaced the noisey fuel pump and the electronics under the key. Cost to me? Zero. Warranty took care of everything. I see no difference in 'issues' with a Spyder than a new car may have. Except for the painfully long time for a fix to the heat issues on the 2013 RT's.

Grab one and go............ you will love a Spyder.

Don

krafael5
06-07-2015, 03:25 PM
I just recently had my 14 rts come home because the dess code displayed on my screen. It was covered under warranty. Dealer had it for two weeks. Wow. But it took several issues with the console. And i tried both keys. All is good now. New console. Be prepared. Good luck

SpyderAnn01
06-07-2015, 03:39 PM
You know every time I have made up my mind to get a Spyder RT another post like this one pops up and shys me away. It seems to me that you guys have a lot of problems with these bikes. Than there are all the posts about sway bars, the pans that go under neath the front end, seats etc. if I was fifty miles from home and came out to a failed key code I would go thru the roof. I mean we spend 30 grand to purchase these bikes ,should we not expect Gold Wing reliability. I have been riding for 45 years put a lot of miles on Hondas, Suzukis,other than regular maintenance 0 problems. The Spyder problems I have been reading bring up memories of AMF Harley and my triumph days. I really want one. But what I don't want is a deep dark money hole. So guys convince me why I should buy one. Because I got a great deal going on a left over 2014 RTS . But I am very hesitant.

i have a 2014 RTS-SM6 purchased on 02/21/14 with 47,600 miles and zero issues. That is why you should buy one.

MEP
06-07-2015, 05:35 PM
QUOTE=zuni;988504]Is there somewhere to find that online or is it dealer only for the vin# range?

CJ JAX[/QUOTE]

Not VINs, but in post #12 of the following thread Bob provides a list of affected key tag #s...

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?71348-New-Owner-2014-RT-S-SE6-New-Member-Key-Issue&p=857827#post857827

Deanna777
06-07-2015, 06:09 PM
You are having quite a weekend with the pop up errors. So far, have not seen the DESS.I hope that I don't see the DESS code. Deanna

Deanna777
06-07-2015, 06:17 PM
You know every time I have made up my mind to get a Spyder RT another post like this one pops up and shys me away. It seems to me that you guys have a lot of problems with these bikes. Than there are all the posts about sway bars, the pans that go under neath the front end, seats etc. if I was fifty miles from home and came out to a failed key code I would go thru the roof. I mean we spend 30 grand to purchase these bikes ,should we not expect Gold Wing reliability. I have been riding for 45 years put a lot of miles on Hondas, Suzukis,other than regular maintenance 0 problems. The Spyder problems I have been reading bring up memories of AMF Harley and my triumph days. I really want one. But what I don't want is a deep dark money hole. So guys convince me why I should buy one. Because I got a great deal going on a left over 2014 RTS . But I am very hesitant. Since I have bought my spyder 2014RTS-SE6 and it will be a year old next month July 30,2014, I have not had any problems with my Spyder.

All I am doing is posting to let everyone else know what I had on my console. Also, I have 5,241 happy miles on my spyder, and the current spyder that I own is my 2nd one. I agree with Spyderann Grab a spyder and GO Life is to Short! Deanna

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-07-2015, 10:48 PM

I've owned three and by far and away the Spyders with the 1330 engines are the most trouble free of all of them......This Forum is sort of like the News Papers.....They aren't full of good news are they ?????.........This forum is here to help people with issues so you get to hear about issues. That doesn't mean almost all Spyders have ISSUES......You just tend to hear more about them here...........Mike :thumbup:

Chupaca
06-08-2015, 01:30 AM

45 years zero problems...:hun: and here I have 55 years and have never had one without problems, till now. My RS is one of the best I have ever had but its only three years old And 28,000 miles. If you came to this site for nothing but positive views and reports you erred. There are no such sites. But for the amount of ryders with problems here there are tenfold out there with no problems so have no reason to be here. But if you ask why should you then you haven't ryden one or at least not long enough to know why that is a dumb question...see you soon...or not..:thumbup:

Bfromla
06-08-2015, 01:46 AM
Just a fyi the transponders are super senative & fragile. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109027&stc=1Mm away & u can get this. On a good working ignition w/o reports of fails. Hope dealer can get it straight for you easily enough.

PMK
06-08-2015, 06:18 AM
Honestly, the digital key system is cool but is it really needed?

Has anyone ever investigated a way to build an override circuit into the system.

This would allow the system to function normally, keeping security and anti-theft. But designed properly, there could be a second keyed or non keyed switch in a hidden location that would bypass a failed electronic key.

I have no idea what the theft rate is on Spyders, but would suspect it is low. The electronic key simply complicates things, especially when the owner is unable to select if they want the security or not.

PK

Deanna777
06-12-2015, 03:28 PM
I got the "Bad Key code "yesterday on my 2014RTS-SE6 I used a different key on my key chain( that I got from the dealer with the black key protector) and I did not get the code. Deanna

Bob Denman
06-12-2015, 06:26 PM
I believe that someone posted in here, about having their dealer re-program their keys and DESS system with BUDS... no more trouble after that! :thumbup:
Total downtime: less than fifteen minutes!

Ann... 47,600 miles already?!? :bowdown::2thumbs:
You ARE, the Road Warrior!!!

finless
06-12-2015, 07:23 PM
FYI in the past week, there have been at least 4 people with new Spyder RT's having this same issue.

Seems like something is up with the 2014/15 new key system and either some kind of failure or something is going on!

Seriously.... I am going to comment again, I am seeing online both here on SL and Facebook a rash of DESS problems being reported!!!

I bet on BOSSweb, this is getting talked about a lot!

Bob

billybovine
06-12-2015, 08:17 PM
FYI in the past week, there have been at least 4 people with new Spyder RT's having this same issue.

Seems like something is up with the 2014/15 new key system and either some kind of failure or something is going on!

Seriously.... I am going to comment again, I am seeing online both here on SL and Facebook a rash of DESS problems being reported!!!

Bob

Come on Bob where you been. This started when the 2014's started going out to customers. 2 problems cropped up right away.

First was the keys getting stuck in the ignition switch. This was tracked down to certain key cut codes and BRP issued a bulletin to dealers to replace the ignition switches, locks and keys for those units.

Second was DESS and or Key Errors. Some say they have had new DESS units put in that fixed it. Others say just some reprograming needed. Others get confused and say it needs a new ignition switch, thinking it is related to the first problem.

PMK
06-12-2015, 08:35 PM

Bob

Bob, any ideas on exactly how DESS works? Seems the DESS module simply sends a signal to the ECM. Is this coded or simply 12v or ? that completes the ECM to power up circuit.

PK

finless
06-12-2015, 09:10 PM
Come on Bob where you been. This started when the 2014's started going out to customers. 2 problems cropped up right away.

First was the keys getting stuck in the ignition switch. This was tracked down to certain key cut codes and BRP issued a bulletin to dealers to replace the ignition switches, locks and keys for those units.

Second was DESS and or Key Errors. Some say they have had new DESS units put in that fixed it. Others say just some reprograming needed. Others get confused and say it needs a new ignition switch, thinking it is related to the first problem.

I am with it and I remember when it first started happening with the early 2014....

But this has grown even more with several people owning new 2015's and getting this issue.

Trust me.... I am aware of what your saying. But again this seems to have grown a lot lately!

Bob

PMK
06-12-2015, 09:20 PM
Finless, disregard my previous post thinking DESS is capable of installing a bypass...read the manual and it is stupid complicated.

PK