PDA

View Full Version : Spyder Rack Modification

Roadster Renovations
06-06-2015, 06:20 PM
For those of you that have purchased the Spyder Rack, we will be sending an additional plate to you next sometime next week. It will be a very simple install and will make sure what happened to me today does not happen to you.
I removed my exhaust plate on my rack a few days ago and did not put it back on. We made a run to Ohio early this afternoon and I ran pretty hard with the traffic (85 plus) for about 30 miles. It so happened that we needed gas (imagine that) and I was doing my walk around inspection and noticed that a small area on the Spyder bag had melted slightly. The only thing that I can figure is that the exhaust traveled below the rack and air flow from the bike flipped it up and trapped it between the first and second bar. That is where the singe was located. In over a year of testing this has never happened.
The fix for this will be a bottom plate to cover that area that will slightly extend and be bent to force the exhaust away from the rack. Until this retrofit is done, my suggestion would be to drive the speed limit and watch the temperature in that area.
It's unfortunate that this happened, but I am glad that it was me it happened to. We will send the plates and attaching hardware to you as soon as we can. Thanks for understanding!

Chupaca
06-06-2015, 06:26 PM
thanks for keeping an eye on things. Always better to present the solution before the problem...:2thumbs:

Roadster Renovations
06-06-2015, 09:06 PM
thanks for keeping an eye on things. Always better to present the solution before the problem...:2thumbs:

That is exactly what I thought. I realize I should probably not have been riding 85, but everyone was driving fast and sometimes it's safer to flow with the traffic. If something I have fabricated has a problem, I want it to happen to me so we can fix it!

Roadster Renovations
06-08-2015, 07:03 AM
Upon further investigation I may have caused this issue by pushing the bag down slightly between the ribs. Since I had left the block off plate off (stupid me) I remember having to adjust the pack back away from the exhaust. I beleive that may have put it a little below the level of the rack and directly in the path of the exhaust. The new bottom plate will solve that and I will be putting on the front plate before using the bag again.:mad:
The plates should be shipping by mid week.

pjweimer
06-08-2015, 09:34 AM
with rack all is well. While we did not do any extend higher speed runs yesterday we did have about 15 miles of 70 mph or so.

But I will install the new deflector plate once received.

Thanks again for this rack and pack.

Paul and Linn Weimer
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109038&stc=1

Roadster Renovations
06-08-2015, 11:19 AM
with rack all is well. While we did not do any extend higher speed runs yesterday we did have about 15 miles of 70 mph or so.

But I will install the new deflector plate once received.

Thanks again for this rack and pack.

Paul and Linn Weimer
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109038&stc=1

Like I said, my main problem was having no plate on. The bottom plate will extend all the way over to the U bolt, cover from the first to second rib, and have a deflection on it's end to force the exhaust down. It is overkill, but that way we won't have any issues!

Roadster Renovations
06-10-2015, 11:47 AM
As promised, the bottom Spyder plates are shipping today! All units that have not shipped yet will automatically have the plate when shipped!