PDA

View Full Version : Got new wheels... now what?

Questions
12-16-2008, 11:45 AM
Got a great deal on a set of the BRP aftermarket wheels online. Now I'm torn on who to take them to in order to have the tires swapped and the new wheels balanced. Is this something I can have done at an automotive place, or am I best suited to go to my local Can Am stealership?

Thanks

FANG
12-16-2008, 11:49 AM
welcome How about a pic of the new wheels. Not sure what to tell you about mounting and balancing.

ataDude
12-16-2008, 12:22 PM
Front wheels at car tire places should not be a problem. Make sure you tell them to use stick-on weights for balancing.

However, the rear is a different story. None here (NTB, Discount Tires) had anything that would fit the rear wheel because of the width of the center of the wheel and the small diameter bearings in place.

Got a great deal on a set of the BRP aftermarket wheels online. Now I'm torn on who to take them to in order to have the tires swapped and the new wheels balanced. Is this something I can have done at an automotive place, or am I best suited to go to my local Can Am stealership?

Thanks

Roaddog2
12-16-2008, 01:59 PM
:congrats:welcome

Thanks

hondaman
12-16-2008, 03:04 PM
car shop.I work at a car shop and I have changed tires on cars,big truck tires,my old motorcycle,even my lawn mower.my tire changer cost over 8k.most cycle shops dont have one like this.

Questions
12-17-2008, 09:41 AM
10/4.

Thanks for the guidence. I'll be headed to a local tire place to have this done. Thanks

JJ

jrbloise
01-10-2011, 08:30 PM
Beavis,

I, like you, hate to pay the "stealership" too. They were charging me $270.00 to change all three tires at $80.00 per hour -- claiming 3 hours is needed. Plus they can't balance them in house -- so they run them down the street to Joe Blow's tire place to have them balanced -- which costs me another $30.00. This is an outrageous total of $270.00 not counting the cost of the new tires! Plus they scratched my rims and didn't balance them properly, and....didn't even bother to clean my rims. HUMBUG!!!!!!

So here's what I did: bought a "CycleHill" tire changer and Static balancer made and sold (online) from No-Mar company. Definately not your el-cheapo Harbor Freight unit, and more expensive. But great quality and made here in the US. Now I change and balance my own tires (all three) and feel great that I'm able to do the job myself and do it right. Sure it'll take a little time to break even on the cost, but that will happen and I'm not having to pay some "pock faced" kid who could care less about my wheels etc. All they care about is "punch-in, and punch-out".

Also, note that I ride year round and put on lots of miles so I'll be changing tires more often.

Sorry for the long rant, but this has been a pet peeve of mine for awhile. If you are interested, do a google search for No Mar as they have lots of "how to" videos.

John.

venom
01-10-2011, 08:34 PM
were did you get your wheels...im looking for 15 incher's

altonk
01-10-2011, 09:14 PM
Get wheel adapter and you can put on any 15 in you want

Trickie Dick
01-10-2011, 10:34 PM
Beavis,

I, like you, hate to pay the "stealership" too. They were charging me $270.00 to change all three tires at $80.00 per hour -- claiming 3 hours is needed. Plus they can't balance them in house -- so they run them down the street to Joe Blow's tire place to have them balanced -- which costs me another $30.00. This is an outrageous total of $270.00 not counting the cost of the new tires! Plus they scratched my rims and didn't balance them properly, and....didn't even bother to clean my rims. HUMBUG!!!!!!

So here's what I did: bought a "CycleHill" tire changer and Static balancer made and sold (online) from No-Mar company. Definately not your el-cheapo Harbor Freight unit, and more expensive. But great quality and made here in the US. Now I change and balance my own tires (all three) and feel great that I'm able to do the job myself and do it right. Sure it'll take a little time to break even on the cost, but that will happen and I'm not having to pay some "pock faced" kid who could care less about my wheels etc. All they care about is "punch-in, and punch-out".

Also, note that I ride year round and put on lots of miles so I'll be changing tires more often.

Sorry for the long rant, but this has been a pet peeve of mine for awhile. If you are interested, do a google search for No Mar as they have lots of "how to" videos.

John.
Why open a thread that is 2 years old:dontknow: Lots of info since then.

jrbloise
01-11-2011, 11:49 AM
Why open a thread that is 2 years old:dontknow: Lots of info since then.

Why not? There are many newbys on this site who might not know about past posts. Besides, maybe Beavis or other owners are still paying outrageous prices to have their tires changed, balanced and abused by careless dealership employees. Not to mention the inconvenience of scheduling a shop appointment - the distance to get there and back - the "way too high" cost for what you get. etc., etc. Everyone has their own choices as to how and where they can get tires changed/balanced, so I'm just giving what I've done as an example.

John

Dragonrider
01-11-2011, 12:26 PM
Few of the changes in some/many areas are positive - for example, we have lost 1.5 dealers who would even work with the Spyder. The fact is, that I appreciate having a dealer around anywhere these days, and personally appreciate insight as to where I can save a buck or two - 'cause that won't happen at our dealer(s).

It's really tough out there - my reliable standby, "Wingman", just notified the world he was GOOB. A tragic loss for Wing, Valk, and other riders who have relied on them for 30 yrs.

Expect more, not less, of this in 2011.