PDA

View Full Version : 12v + USB on Dash

jthornton
06-04-2015, 05:22 PM
A Spyder friend asked me to come up with a way to get 12v and USB power to the dash without replacing the analog gauges. As usual it took me a while to sort it out but I'm happy with the result. I have a few in stock and more on order. It comes complete ready to bolt to the Dash Mount Bar. It has 5' of wire with an inline fuse and waterproof covers for the power sockets. For the 2010-2012 RT I'll add enough wire to reach the rear mounted battery.

This is the prototype mounted to my RT. The production version mounting bar is satin black powder coated and uses a SS Torx screw with a SS cap nut.

JT

DJFaninTN
06-04-2015, 09:07 PM
:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thum bup::thumbup:

KennW
06-04-2015, 09:24 PM
Nice work as always JT

Chupaca
06-04-2015, 09:31 PM
another fine product from JT's shop...the satin black and torx will clean it up nicely...:2thumbs:

jthornton
06-05-2015, 05:41 AM
Thanks

IGETAROUND
06-05-2015, 06:58 AM
JT, any thoughts/plans to expand into RS territory??? I know there are not as many of us as the RT brethren; but your products are top notch and sensibly priced. Would love to see a mount bar at the least for the RS crowd!!:ohyea::bowdown:

donkes
06-05-2015, 07:05 AM
I think I want this but am not sure of my abilities to connect.

jthornton
06-05-2015, 07:25 AM
JT, any thoughts/plans to expand into RS territory??? I know there are not as many of us as the RT brethren; but your products are top notch and sensibly priced. Would love to see a mount bar at the least for the RS crowd!!:ohyea::bowdown:

The number of RS riders is not a factor, I just haven't figured out where to bolt something to on the RS. I would love to make a Dash Bar for the RS even if I only made one.

I see you have a trailer hitch, is it the same trailer hitch that the RT has?

JT

jthornton
06-05-2015, 07:30 AM
I think I want this but am not sure of my abilities to connect.

Looking at the Spyders to the Rescue (http://gnipsel.com/spyder) database and there are 8 listed in VA, one of them may be able to help you.

JT

Tango
06-05-2015, 08:55 AM
Way to go JT. :clap: :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

IGETAROUND
06-05-2015, 05:43 PM
The number of RS riders is not a factor, I just haven't figured out where to bolt something to on the RS. I would love to make a Dash Bar for the RS even if I only made one.

I see you have a trailer hitch, is it the same trailer hitch that the RT has?

JT

it's an aftermarket hitch, to my eye and way of thinking it's an equivalent hitch to BRP's $500+ unit.

SPYD3R
06-05-2015, 06:24 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108882&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108883&stc=1
be careful when ordering, there are 2 versions, a 1 and a 2 USB port unit... i have the 2 port version... here is the website:
http://www.dhgate.com/product/new-motorcycle-12v-power-outlet-usb-adapter/192967829.html#s2-14-1a|3705869254
dp

pickelhead
06-05-2015, 08:36 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108882&stc=1

Looks good Dan

frelancr
06-06-2015, 11:21 PM
A Spyder friend asked me to come up with a way to get 12v and USB power to the dash without replacing the analog gauges. As usual it took me a while to sort it out but I'm happy with the result. I have a few in stock and more on order. It comes complete ready to bolt to the Dash Mount Bar. It has 5' of wire with an inline fuse and waterproof covers for the power sockets. For the 2010-2012 RT I'll add enough wire to reach the rear mounted battery.

JT

where do you have it wired to on maybe a '14 RTs?

I just 'discovered' the 'hidden' 12v harness in the frunk & was just going to put a 12v lighter socket into it....adding a 5v & mounting it on your most wonderful dash mount would be MUCH more elegant....

Mike

Shiznit98204
06-07-2015, 12:45 AM

I just 'discovered' the 'hidden' 12v harness in the frunk & was just going to put a 12v lighter socket into it....adding a 5v & mounting it on your most wonderful dash mount would be MUCH more elegant....

Mike

Where is the hidden plug in the Frunk? I have yet to find it.
:banghead:

jthornton
06-07-2015, 05:18 AM

Mike

The wires are long enough to go all the way to the battery but you could cut them off and connect them where you like. What connectors are on the hidden 12v harness in the front trunk?

JT

frelancr
06-07-2015, 09:23 AM
The wires are long enough to go all the way to the battery but you could cut them off and connect them where you like. What connectors are on the hidden 12v harness in the front trunk?

JT

these are behind a rubber hole cover to the port side rear of the frunk...looks like it wants a male spade

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108976&stc=1

M

jthornton
06-07-2015, 10:26 AM
these are behind a rubber hole cover to the port side rear of the frunk...looks like it wants a male spade

The end connectors could be changed for male spade connectors no problem.

JT

Lew L
06-07-2015, 12:17 PM
Well---- I had to look?
Found the rubber plug/cover but no loose wires benind it?? There was a plug with wires in it though-- but what is it for??

But, as one thing always leads to another, I found the negative cable hard on to the positive terminal of the batt. The + terminal didn't have the red cover on it ( it was further up the cable). Fixed that but no wires to hook an accessory up to.:(

jmurray
06-07-2015, 03:13 PM
JT – Nice product. I just checked the specs on your webpage but I did not see the current (amps) going to both connections. Is the USB a dual port? I currently use your products for my GoPro and iPhone 6 and it would be great if I could have both devices plugged in via USB.

jthornton
06-07-2015, 03:27 PM
JT – Nice product. I just checked the specs on your webpage but I did not see the current (amps) going to both connections. Is the USB a dual port? I currently use your products for my GoPro and iPhone 6 and it would be great if I could have both devices plugged in via USB.

The ones I have now are single USB and rated at 12v @ 10 amp and 5v at 2.1 amp. I have some dual USB on order but they take forever to show up sometimes.

JT

frelancr
06-07-2015, 07:19 PM
Well---- I had to look?
Found the rubber plug/cover but no loose wires benind it?? There was a plug with wires in it though-- but what is it for??

But, as one thing always leads to another, I found the negative cable hard on to the positive terminal of the batt. The + terminal didn't have the red cover on it ( it was further up the cable). Fixed that but no wires to hook an accessory up to.:(

pull out the plug & tucked inside are those wires with those female paddle connectors on them...covered in vasoline or something....

fired up the Spyder & put a meter on it...the BLACK one reads 12v+

dug up a female cig lighter socket & crimped on some paddle terminals I had (kinda convenient being an electronics packrat sometimes) & used it to run my GPS all day today (YAY!) with the wire coming up out of the frunk & under the windshield to the GPS....which is jammed into the X-clamp from JT on his mount

there actually IS an OEM socket for this...
http://www.amazon.com/Can-Am-219400366-Black-Front-Outlet/dp/B00ARC68JS/ref=sr_1_1?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1433722487&sr=1-1&refinements=p_4%3ACan-Am

supposedly they're cheaper on ebay....I just haven't looked very hard

M

jthornton
06-10-2015, 04:10 PM
Got the Dual USB + 12v in stock... but the mount is different so I have to design a new mount for that one.

:banghead: JT

Lew L
06-11-2015, 04:37 PM
Thanks frelancr,

I'll look deeper this time. I just added a 12v socket to the side of the pillon seat next to the grablhandles.(there is a removeable plug with nothing behind it. I milled it out to fit a 12v socket, ran wires to the trunk and a 12v plug to go into the existing socket. Now my wife can plug in her Garmin easily. I don't care for it on the dash.

To much stuff on the dash causes me::
Kaos

Lew L
06-14-2015, 02:02 PM
Thanks to frelancr I also installed a 12v socket in the frunk. Easy enough to do once the "hood" and battery were removed. Removed a small amount of the battery access opening ( at the lower corners) and the battery comes out easily. I used a socket with two mail spade lugs and it's plug and play.

Thanks again frelancr!!:bowdown:

Kaos

SPYD3R
06-14-2015, 05:46 PM

here's what i did to my RS...
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109581&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109582&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109583&stc=1
i have one on each side... and use them for my Battery Tender....
dp
SPYD3R F3-S

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-14-2015, 06:29 PM
Removed a small amount of the battery access opening ( at the lower corners) and the battery comes out easily.
Kaos
Hope you didn't remove too much material there and compromise the seal of the battery cover. Otherwise you may get water in the frunk. Things get wet back there in the rain!

jmurray
06-14-2015, 07:14 PM
JT - Can you let us know how the bracket turned out? Some of the guys in this thread have some good ideas but I'm not the type for drilling into the dash.

Vidman
06-15-2015, 07:01 AM
FYI.....Hey guys, great info about other locations but you are unintentionally hijacking JT's thread.

jthornton
06-15-2015, 07:13 AM
JT - Can you let us know how the bracket turned out? Some of the guys in this thread have some good ideas but I'm not the type for drilling into the dash.

The bracket for the 12v + USB is done and works perfect with the Dash Mount Bar. The bracket for the 12v + Dual USB will be the same but different and I should have them ready this week :yikes: I know I never say when something will be done but I'm close to having them ready so I'll go out on a limb and say this week.

JT

Vidman
06-15-2015, 09:14 AM
The bracket for the 12v + USB is done and works perfect with the Dash Mount Bar. The bracket for the 12v + Dual USB will be the same but different and I should have them ready this week :yikes: I know I never say when something will be done but I'm close to having them ready so I'll go out on a limb and say this week.

JT

What is the output on the two USB ports for the Dual?

Lew L
06-15-2015, 09:25 AM
Hope you didn't remove too much material there and compromise the seal of the battery cover. Otherwise you may get water in the frunk. Things get wet back there in the rain!

I scribed the cornors with a tile marking pencil ( in yellow--- it wipes right off) and stayed well away from it. Just took a little off the cornors. Battery removal was EASY.

Besides----- It dosent rain in Northern Nevada----It snowes;)

Rain causes::::

Kaos

jthornton
06-15-2015, 10:00 AM
What is the output on the two USB ports for the Dual?

The 5v is 2.1 amps and the 12v is 10 amps.

JT

jmurray
06-19-2015, 04:25 AM
Hi JT -

I see that have began to list the dual USB + 12 V Power adapters on your website but are "Out of Stock". BTW, I’m in for one.

Do you have a picture of the Quick Connect like there is of the Spade connectors?
Are you referring to a connector similar to the battery tender connector in the frunk; like those on 14’ RTL’s?
Does the unit have the red power on/off switch on top?
Being that it is a dual unit, how many holes does it cover up on the Dash Mount?

Thanks
- John

jthornton
06-19-2015, 05:50 AM
Hi JT -

I see that have began to list the dual USB + 12 V Power adapters on your website but are "Out of Stock". BTW, I’m in for one.

Do you have a picture of the Quick Connect like there is of the Spade connectors?
Are you referring to a connector similar to the battery tender connector in the frunk; like those on 14’ RTL’s?
Does the unit have the red power on/off switch on top?
Being that it is a dual unit, how many holes does it cover up on the Dash Mount?

Thanks
- John

I have them in stock but I'm working on the mount for the 12v + Dual USB, as soon as they are done I'll release them for ordering.

I'll get a photo up of the quick connects, they are the male 1/4" type that would plug into a female 1/4" quick connect.

The Dual USB has an on/off switch on top.

It still uses only one hole on the Dash Mount.

JT