PDA

View Full Version : Deleting The Air Box

WEB-WVR
06-04-2015, 05:21 PM
I was reading another post about maintenance and maintenance costs for down the road. One post suggested deleting the airbox and going with JT's airbox....much cheaper to maintain, dont need the dealer, easier to do. I like that idea a lot....it also frees up a lot more space for engine cooling. JT is working on a cold air intake forf the 900 series......that would be sah-weet ! :thumbup:

So my question is....(already used search function) are their any photos or videos showing the before and after or the process of the air box delete and JT install on the V-twin 900 series engine ?

Thanks dudes and dudettes ! :spyder2:

figmotoday
06-04-2015, 06:55 PM
I was reading another post about maintenance and maintenance costs for down the road. One post suggested deleting the airbox and going with JT's airbox....much cheaper to maintain, dont need the dealer, easier to do. I like that idea a lot....it also frees up a lot more space for engine cooling. JT is working on a cold air intake forf the 900 series......that would be sah-weet ! :thumbup:

So my question is....(already used search function) are their any photos or videos showing the before and after or the process of the air box delete and JT install on the V-twin 900 series engine ?

Thanks dudes and dudettes ! :spyder2:

I took off air box filter but no pics sorry. Master tech book walks you right through the steps. Below is a pic of the big air "restrictor" box. And a pic of JTs air filter.

lwrydr
06-04-2015, 07:45 PM
Here is a couple of pics...hope this is what u wanted....

finless
06-04-2015, 07:46 PM
I did not remove my air box and may not ever.... But I did find a way to make it MUCH easier!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXX5AQtdHzo

Bob

Chupaca
06-04-2015, 07:50 PM
don't have much in pic's...
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108827&stc=1
JT's system later went with the K&N
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108828&stc=1
Oem air box ran it with K&N good but not as good
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108830&stc=1
Turbo fan ram air added...The GS/RS air boxes were very easy to remove...:thumbup:

PistonBlown
06-04-2015, 09:16 PM
Here's the video I did (you have to remove more Tupperware with RT's):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlCJTUHg9vw

bluestratos
06-05-2015, 09:21 AM
I thought changing the air box would help keep thing coolers and may add more power but all I got was a lot of noise. Instead of keeping more heat off of me I found the heat was worse where it slipped up the front of the saddle. This is due in part to the air that was blocked before now having a much better path to bring the heat toward me. I did 1/4 mile timed runs and absolutely no difference in that regard. Other than a cheaper filter (the cost of the air box made that a reverse savings) there is no good reason to change it unless you like the bark that comes from the filter box after changing it.

I took it off and put everthing back to stock, I just could not stand the sound level. I beleive the Rotex is putting out as much power as it can based on the way the computer manages everything. There is a small horsepower gain in the mid range if you put a free flowing muffler on, they claim about 4 horse but no much difference in the 1/4 mile-about 1/2 sec. I tried a black box and I had mixed results but it caused my computer to through codes so that came out as well.

I also tried off the line drags against a stock bike and we remained neck and neck until about 70 but only gained about 1 bike length over all.

Now, if one has the equipment and knowlege, any stock engine (exotic setups aside) can produce more power but it goes well beyond bolt ons to acheive this.

JKMSPYDER
06-05-2015, 10:18 AM
I installed JT's air filter and it freed up a lot of space around the engine for air flow and to make maintenance a lot easier such as replacing plugs and wires. Yes, it is much noisier than the air box but I added the pre filter to tone down the noise and I wear ear plugs anyway.

WEB-WVR
06-05-2015, 12:00 PM
Thank you all for the comments and the photos/video. Those are some of the best engine photos I have seen too since I have not yet removed tupperware.

I assume JT's kit comes with all the instructions ?

I will wait a while longer for his "true" cold air intake system.....but if not out for sale.....will probably do this....it makes sense.

On the noise is it a powerful throaty noise or an air sucking noise. I have added cold air intakes to my muscle cars and it does not change the sound that much. ?

Thanks again dudes ! :thumbup:

aka1004
06-06-2015, 09:34 AM
It's more of higher pitched air being sucked in kinda noise. At full throttle, it will be louder than hindle and similar mufflers if it's similar to old evoluzione's set up.
I thought I saw a noise reduction wrap on their website.

As far as gaining performance, you need more fuel (2bros or power commander). More air and fuel in, more air out = more power, most or more coming from adding more fuel.