PDA

View Full Version : be careful

cuznjohn
06-04-2015, 01:02 PM
so i got the side maker and rear of front fender LED's from trice and today i said to my self, it's a good day to do them. so me in my infinite wisdom said to myself, self instead of removing the wheel and working upside down under the fender to do the lights and hook ups, why not remove the fender.

great idea, right, NOT!!!. what grade bolts do they use or what type of lock tight because the bolt snapped on me. so if toy ever try to remove a fender, remember the bolts are very soft and snap easy:(:lecturef_smilie:

ARtraveler
06-04-2015, 01:10 PM
It is beginning to look like a three martini install project. :roflblack::roflblack:

It would sure be nice if even once, a project like this could go without a problem.

I know they are going to look great once you get them installed John. You are for sure making yourself a one of a kind :spyder2:.
:bowdown::bowdown:

Bob Denman
06-04-2015, 01:11 PM
:shocked: Good Luck! Please let us know what it takes, to get backed-out of this trouble spot! :yikes:

cuznjohn
06-04-2015, 01:18 PM
well for the time being, it is going to stay held on with 3 bolts. if i had a lift it wouldn't be a problem to put the bike up to a workable height and remove the wheel and do the job. so right now everything is on hold till i stop shaking my head and cursing.

Chupaca
06-04-2015, 01:30 PM
Easy out..??? Have not found one that works well on a bolt that broke on removal. In the end drill and tap and sometimes heli coil...have a drawer full of them. Take a breath and move on. Really should get some kinda lift with all the work you do...:thumbup:

pitzerwm
06-04-2015, 03:19 PM
Damn cheap Chinese bolts, use to be cheap Korean nails that bent when you brought out the hammer. Don't get all hyper, I'm not a racist, just a fact, cheap steel from abroad.

Are you just able to replace the bolt, or will it need drilled out. I already have the fender LEDs but will rewire to make them into riding and turn signal. I shouldn't need to touch the fender or tire. Taking off the RSS tire/fender was easy.

cuznjohn
06-04-2015, 04:37 PM
ok jacked up the bike and took off the left wheel. got on the floor, ( bad part for me, when your body is shot and your fat, there should be a warning saying,LET SOMEONE ELSE DO IT ) and from underneath the fender there are several screws that need to be removed just so you can take the top center of the fender off so you can remove the reflectors and replace them with the LED replacements and run the wires.

on the front white marker light there is a white and black wire that are attached to the plug for the bike harness. I AM ASSUMING THE WHITE IS HOT AND THE BLACK IS NEGATIVE. on each of the marker lights from TRIC there are two black wires, one with a white tracer and the other just black. AGAIN ASSUMING the white tracer wire goes to the white and so on.

now i also have the setup to make them directional's also. i called REGGIE AT TRIC to see if i could just have them light up just for directional's and no running lights. he said he never had anyone ask that question b4, lol leave it up to me to ask, but he felt it couldn't work as just that. so now i will put it all back together tomorrow and than take the right side apart and do that. next week's project is LED HEAD LIGHTS, they showed up today and that should be easier than doing the fender lights. WONDER WHAT I CAN BRAKE DOING THAT.

SpyderAnn01
06-04-2015, 05:42 PM
Damn cheap Chinese bolts, use to be cheap Korean nails that bent when you brought out the hammer. Don't get all hyper, I'm not a racist, just a fact, cheap steel from abroad.

Are you just able to replace the bolt, or will it need drilled out. I already have the fender LEDs but will rewire to make them into riding and turn signal. I shouldn't need to touch the fender or tire. Taking off the RSS tire/fender was easy.

The turns wire into the tip light so you should be okay with leaving the fender on. You just run the wire down from the mirrors and up to the fender. You might have to juggle a little when you get the wire up to the tip light.

SpyderAnn01
06-04-2015, 05:43 PM
so i got the side maker and rear of front fender LED's from trice and today i said to my self, it's a good day to do them. so me in my infinite wisdom said to myself, self instead of removing the wheel and working upside down under the fender to do the lights and hook ups, why not remove the fender.

great idea, right, NOT!!!. what grade bolts do they use or what type of lock tight because the bolt snapped on me. so if toy ever try to remove a fender, remember the bolts are very soft and snap easy:(:lecturef_smilie:

John, when you remove the wheel you only work upside down to remove the top piece of the fender, then you can sit in a chair and do the wiring.

cuznjohn
06-04-2015, 05:55 PM
yes i took the piece into the house to do the wiring

pitzerwm
06-04-2015, 08:09 PM
I used hot glue to "weld the wires" to the inside of the fender.

satownsendsr
06-05-2015, 08:56 PM
ok jacked up the bike and took off the left wheel. got on the floor, ( bad part for me, when your body is shot and your fat, there should be a warning saying,LET SOMEONE ELSE DO IT ) and from underneath the fender there are several screws that need to be removed just so you can take the top center of the fender off so you can remove the reflectors and replace them with the LED replacements and run the wires.

on the front white marker light there is a white and black wire that are attached to the plug for the bike harness. I AM ASSUMING THE WHITE IS HOT AND THE BLACK IS NEGATIVE. on each of the marker lights from TRIC there are two black wires, one with a white tracer and the other just black. AGAIN ASSUMING the white tracer wire goes to the white and so on.

now i also have the setup to make them directional's also. i called REGGIE AT TRIC to see if i could just have them light up just for directional's and no running lights. he said he never had anyone ask that question b4, lol leave it up to me to ask, but he felt it couldn't work as just that. so now i will put it all back together tomorrow and than take the right side apart and do that. next week's project is LED HEAD LIGHTS, they showed up today and that should be easier than doing the fender lights. WONDER WHAT I CAN BRAKE DOING THAT.
I took the fenders off when I changed my reflectors to led. Was real careful when torquing the bolts loose because the first one I tried was extremely hard to break loose and I could tell I was close to breaking the bolt. Just kept alternating pressure on the bolts until I felt them give.
I finish replacing my headlights today with 100W Halegon bulbs. Following the instructions in the manual for replacing the bulbs it wasn't a hard job at all. You have to remove some Tupperware and the housing unit and then just remove the old bulbs and put the new ones in. Be careful not to touch the bulbs. I handled mine with a paper shop towel. Got pictures but haven't had a chance to post yet.
Now if I can just get the mirrors replaced with the muth mirrors, I will be stepping in high cotton. 😊hyeah!