PDA

View Full Version : GAS CAP PROBLEM

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
06-01-2015, 07:42 AM
I took my :spyder2: for a ride on sunday, midday when i am heading home i went to fill the tank, i'm at the
gas station trying to take the cap off & it just spun with that clicking sound. I know the bike was hot but
i have never had that problem before, now i am worried what if that happens when i go on a trip.
I was only a few miles from home so i left and put it in garage, checked it a few hours later and the cap
came off so i know it was from being hot, maybe some kind of vapor lock up.
is this something to call brp about or the dealer has a fix?

Bob Denman
06-01-2015, 07:45 AM
This has popped up from time to time... Get to the dealer, and get yourself a new cap. :thumbup:
We have heard that you can grab them with a big set of Vise Grips, and give them enough of a squeeze, to get them to unscrew also! :shocked:

Vader
06-01-2015, 07:46 AM
I've heard about that issue with automobiles and I know there was a cap recall for the GS. I think it wouldn't hurt to contact both BRP as well as a dealer to see if there have been similar issues with other.
Good luck, and keep us posted.

PMK
06-01-2015, 07:56 AM
I researched different fuel caps and do not run an oem cap. Can post PN later if anyone is interested.

PK

jcthorne
06-01-2015, 07:59 AM
I researched different fuel caps and do not run an oem cap. Can post PN later if anyone is interested.

PK

Please post aftermarket part number. Thanks.

eddieshep999
06-01-2015, 08:07 AM
I went to fill up the other day on my new Spyder SE6. RT 2015 model
The fuel cap was very tight and would not unlock I pushed down on it whilst turning this did free it up
When I got home I put some petroleum jelly on the threads and on the inner rubber seal of the fuel cap Have filled my Spyder a couple of times since no further problem since

wyliec
06-01-2015, 08:09 AM
I've heard about that issue with automobiles and I know there was a cap recall for the GS. I think it wouldn't hurt to contact both BRP as well as a dealer to see if there have been similar issues with other.

Here's the issue regarding the gas cap:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/12/22/bombardier-issues-two-can-am-spyder-recalls-over-fire-risks/

wyliec
06-01-2015, 08:10 AM
Please post aftermarket part number. Thanks.

I agree.

cuznjohn
06-01-2015, 08:30 AM
wonder if this problem has something to do with the other riders tank collapsing

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-01-2015, 08:56 AM
I agree with those that said this should be addressed by BRP and the dealer .......However this is guaranteed to work, last year I put a very small Gas Door in my seat ( 4 inches ) this necessitated a Gas cap that didn't need to be removed .......Enter the " PERMA-CAP ", I had one on another car so I just swapped it......There is no part number on it , they fit all tank threads ( they are all the same )......It is DOT and CARB certified and just has a spring loaded flapper that you put the nozzle into..........There are PICS of it on my Gas Door thread..............Mike :thumbup:

cuznjohn
06-01-2015, 09:24 AM
I agree with those that said this should be addressed by BRP and the dealer .......However this is guaranteed to work, last year I put a very small Gas Door in my seat ( 4 inches ) this necessitated a Gas cap that didn't need to be removed .......Enter the " PERMA-CAP ", I had one on another car so I just swapped it......There is no part number on it , they fit all tank threads ( they are all the same )......It is DOT and CARB certified and just has a spring loaded flapper that you put the nozzle into..........There are PICS of it on my Gas Door thread..............Mike :thumbup:

mike is this something like what your talking about http://www.amazon.com/Stant-41002-InStant-Fill-Gas/dp/B000RDC1C0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ZFKKW6VQ4EY93QAW96Z

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
06-01-2015, 09:37 AM
Just talk to brp & set appt. at my dealer. they are changing the gas cap, they say the old design is black on
inside the newer one is red/orange on inside. brp & my dealer also say they are going put on some panel for the
heat problem under warranty. i will bring bike in wed. and pick up on thurs, will find out on sunday how it is.
thanks to everyone for such quick replies.
al

Magdave
06-01-2015, 09:42 AM
I went to fill up the other day on my new Spyder SE6. RT 2015 model
The fuel cap was very tight and would not unlock I pushed down on it whilst turning this did free it up
When I got home I put some petroleum jelly on the threads and on the inner rubber seal of the fuel cap Have filled my Spyder a couple of times since no further problem since
:firstplace: Push it push it real good.

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-01-2015, 10:09 AM
mike is this something like what your talking about http://www.amazon.com/Stant-41002-InStant-Fill-Gas/dp/B000RDC1C0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_263_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0ZFKKW6VQ4EY93QAW96Z

It's sounds like the same principle as the PERMA-CAP.....They don't show the top so I don't know......if you get that, look at the other sellers listed it cheaper with no shipping fee.............Mike :thumbup:

Chupaca
06-01-2015, 11:54 AM
they all say "Not for use in CA"....:banghead::banghead: what was the PN on those vise grips..?? :roflblack::roflblack:

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-01-2015, 12:03 PM
they all say "Not for use in CA"....:banghead::banghead: what was the PN on those vise grips..?? :roflblack::roflblack:

TRY E-BAY.......use this spelling-----permacap-----they had a bunch for sale , I didn't check them for where they might not be able to be used.....The Permacap is both CARB and DOT certified as stated on the Cap.........Mike :thumbup:

PMK
06-01-2015, 07:16 PM
Fuel cap on the 2014 has no vent to blow off pressure or fumes, and the cap also has no vacuum relief.

I did some checking and found that Walmart has Stant fuel caps. The one I purchased has a vacuum relief valve. The cap also features a design where you loosen the cap and the first 1/2 turn while loosening will open a second valve and depressurize the fuel tank.

The cap is a Stant brand and is Part Number 10819 with a cost of about $8.

PK

finless
06-01-2015, 07:18 PM
FYI, a few people on Facebook also reported this recently like in the last 2 weeks!

Could be a new thing happening?

Bob

BLUEKNIGHT911
06-01-2015, 07:43 PM
Fuel cap on the 2014 has no vent to blow off pressure or fumes, and the cap also has no vacuum relief.

I did some checking and found that Walmart has Stant fuel caps. The one I purchased has a vacuum relief valve. The cap also features a design where you loosen the cap and the first 1/2 turn while loosening will open a second valve and depressurize the fuel tank.

The cap is a Stant brand and is Part Number 10819 with a cost of about $8.

PK

You are correct Paul, my Permacap is the same......I have been using it for over 6 months without any fumes, smells, codes, or spills etc.......and I always fill my tank until it hits the top.......I'm bad............But the 2014 Evap system cannot become contaminated because BRP changed the entire routing and placement........Mike :thumbup:

CanAmChris
06-01-2015, 07:57 PM

The cap recall was for 2008-2009 GS and 2010-2012 RS and RT. Pretty much every one built before 2013:

http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/owners/safety/safety-recalls/fuel-cap-replacement.html

No mention of a vapor lock though. It was for a possible vapor leak.

ravseren
06-01-2015, 08:24 PM
The only problem I have noticed is that I often have to fill the tank REALLY SLOWLY because otherwise the pump keeps shutting off. I was thinking about removing the metal arround the filler neck so air can escape when filling the tank. I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem.
Seth

CanAmChris
06-01-2015, 08:28 PM
The only problem I have noticed is that I often have to fill the tank REALLY SLOWLY because otherwise the pump keeps shutting off. I was thinking about removing the metal arround the filler neck so air can escape when filling the tank. I'm not sure if anyone else has this problem.
Seth

I have run into this. I used to put the fuel nozzle into the RS tank at more of an angle so less of the filler pipe was in the tank. Then I would eyeball it and squeeze in a little more to top it off.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
06-02-2015, 04:15 PM
just got call from my dealer on bringing bike in for heat panel warranty, they are saying brp didn't send out
the new part to them yet & now brp wants me to email them inside of my gas cap to verify i have the bad one.
i have no problem with this but why on mon. did i get the ok from brp.
P.S. the first guy i called today was an a-hole, he couldn't find my name when i gave him the vin & was not
at all helpful, i hung up, called back then the next guy spent time with me.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
06-08-2015, 07:29 AM
Ok i installed battery sunday, took a few times & got bike started. now the fact that it didn't start right up makes me wonder
if the fact the low gas light was on. Yes it ran low on gas because i could not get cap off from a day of riding the previous
sunday. I replaced the gas cap with a stent cap that i got from auto barn for $3.50 recommended by taxmyzer when he had
the same problem with his cap on the 2013 rt-s.
Well after i got gas i used it all day for errands so i did start & stop a few times with no problem at all. I will finally be able to
install my doc hitch rack to my bike this week & my 3rd/4th brake lights.

I also checked into something called a micro start battery supply, it's this tiny little battery pack, 14oz. size of a smart phone
thing that can jump start a 6 cylinder car with a dead battery. since i plan on traveling a little this year i am going to get it
& keep in the pouch of my frunk, don't ever want to have a battery problem again. it's also has plugs on it to charge smart
phone, laptop and other stuff.

Thanks all to those on the forum for their help & sincere concern for getting my bike running, you guys are the best.
On a side note, thank you brp for the crummy gas cap, you know the one with the orange/red gasket on the inside & thank
you for still delaying my dealer in getting the heat shield we talked to you about last week while on 3 way that you were no
help with. I did let you know i am going on vacation for july 4th weekend and would like it installed before then and my dealer
has doubts he will have it in time.
al

Bob Denman
06-08-2015, 07:35 AM
:shocked: Glad to hear that you made progress... :clap:
Good Luck with the rest of it! nojoke

cuznjohn
06-08-2015, 09:54 AM
glad all is working out for you, and that micro starter is amazing, i have one