06-01-2015, 06:01 AM
This New Wheelchair Makes Avoiding Staircases A Thing Of The Past
http://wimp.com/wheelchair-staircases/

robtdonna
06-01-2015, 10:20 AM
Amazing piece of technology. :clap:

Chupaca
06-01-2015, 10:53 AM
we do have some very smart people out there wanting to help out...:2thumbs::clap:

Bob Denman
06-01-2015, 11:16 AM
As someone who's spent more time in a chair than I care to think about; I applaud the effort, but I have reservations :shocked:...
It appears as it the chair is using the cleats on it's track, to latch onto the edges of each step...
What if the occupant inadvertently rocks back and forth a bit, and changes how those cleats are grabbing on? :dontknow:

Or... what if the stairs are not uniform from top to bottom? If one step is higher or lower than the others; that would also create traction problems.

ARtraveler
06-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Thank you for posting the information Caveman. It will definitely work for some. Did not notice a cost though? Guessing 10K or higher???

As an everyday user, I also see some issues with this one.

Cost/Benefit--I can get up and down my 18 steps (ask me how I know), quicker on my stair lift chair than it would take with the wheelchair shown.

The demonstration steps were deeper (front to back) and not as high as most standard steps. Add carpeting, two entry steps to first level, a turn required to access the 18 steps, and you have a bit of a maneuvering issue.

I would hate to take a fast ride down the steps in the event of a slippage.

May work for some, but don't think it will be added here anytime soon.