PDA

View Full Version : Oil type in 2014 RT

Spyderdale
05-30-2015, 05:02 PM
I know many threads have been posted on this before but how many of you are using Amsoil in your 1330 ? If so what weight ? 10W 40 ? If so what do you think ? Thanks in advance.;)

jcthorne
05-30-2015, 06:28 PM
I know many threads have been posted on this before but how many of you are using Amsoil in your 1330 ? If so what weight ? 10W 40 ? If so what do you think ? Thanks in advance.;)

If you already know its been posted before, why post the same question again. Use the search box on the upper right side. Then if there is a question about what you have read, ask away.

Asking the same question that has already been asked and answered MANY times is flat out RUDE and you cannot be bothered with looking for your answer.

Spyderdale
05-30-2015, 06:43 PM
If you already know its been posted before, why post the same question again. Use the search box on the upper right side. Then if there is a question about what you have read, ask away.

Asking the same question that has already been asked and answered MANY times is flat out RUDE and you cannot be bothered with looking for your answer. Sorry didnt mean to upset anybody. Did try the search many ways and came up with nothing. My Rt is coming up for an oil change and was considering using Amsoil.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-30-2015, 06:44 PM

But this also will exceed warranty requirements and IMHO is way better than BRP anything .....ROTELLA T-6 5w-40 Full Syn....about $25 Gal. at Walmart...............Mike :thumbup:..................PS it's made by Shell

Spyderdale
05-30-2015, 06:47 PM
But this also will exceed warranty requirements and IMHO is way better than BRP anything .....ROTELLA T-6 5w-40 Full Syn....about $25 Gal. at Walmart...............Mike :thumbup:..................PS it's made by ShellThanks I appreciate your sincere help. I have a WalMart real close. ;);)

Orange Spyder Man
05-30-2015, 06:54 PM

Asking the same question that has already been asked and answered MANY times is flat out RUDE and you cannot be bothered with looking for your answer.

gee whiz.. a fellow spyder just asked a simple question.. if you don't want to answer.. don't .. but it sure is more rude of you to chastise someone asking a question.. chill out.. dude..

I plan to use Castrol T4 full synthetic racing oil 5W40 in my 2014 RT limited .... I ordered it thru Amazon

osm

Ex-Rocket
05-30-2015, 07:02 PM
[QUOTE=Orange Spyder Man;984868]gee whiz.. a fellow spyder just asked a simple question.. if you don't want to answer.. don't .. but it sure is more rude of you to chastise someone asking a question.. chill out.. dude..

:agree::agree::agree:

Spyderdale
05-30-2015, 07:10 PM
gee whiz.. a fellow spyder just asked a simple question.. if you don't want to answer.. don't .. but it sure is more rude of you to chastise someone asking a question.. chill out.. dude..

I plan to use Castrol T4 full synthetic racing oil 5W40 in my 2014 RT limited .... I ordered it thru Amazon

osm Thanks I appreciate your sincere help also.;);)

Mazo EMS2
05-30-2015, 08:17 PM
FWIW, I used the fore-mentioned Rotella T6 Full Syn in a 2 wheeler and it made a heck of an improvement over the recommended Honda H4 oil, and literally for half the price. Heat displacement and shifting both improved considerably. I have a free oil change coming from my dealer, but after that, I'll be switching to Rotella T6. Price is right and it's readily available:yes:

Spyderdale
05-30-2015, 09:08 PM
FWIW, I used the fore-mentioned Rotella T6 Full Syn in a 2 wheeler and it made a heck of an improvement over the recommended Honda H4 oil, and literally for half the price. Heat displacement and shifting both improved considerably. I have a free oil change coming from my dealer, but after that, I'll be switching to Rotella T6. Price is right and it's readily available:yes: Thanks I may go for it.

maliamd
05-30-2015, 09:24 PM
[QUOTE=Ex-Rocket;984874][QUOTE=Orange Spyder Man;984868]gee whiz.. a fellow spyder just asked a simple question.. if you don't want to answer.. don't .. but it sure is more rude of you to chastise someone asking a question.. chill out.. dude..

I totally agree. Look who is being rude. Ask away fellow spyder rider. Everyone is here to help.

Mr. White
05-30-2015, 09:42 PM
Amsoil 10w-40. Change it every 10,000 miles with filter(s). Have for years. Never had an oil related problem. I buy my Amsoil from a sponsor, shipped to my door, cheaper than I can buy it locally. Works for me. Why 10,000 miles....because it is easier for me to remember....I use Mobil 1 15w-50 in my vehicles, again every 10,000 miles.

:spyder2:

Andy Cserny
05-30-2015, 10:19 PM

what got the burr under your saddle???
Andy

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-30-2015, 10:23 PM
Amsoil 10w-40. Change it every 10,000 miles with filter(s). Have for years. Never had an oil related problem. I buy my Amsoil from a sponsor, shipped to my door, cheaper than I can buy it locally. Works for me. Why 10,000 miles....because it is easier for me to remember....I use Mobil 1 15w-50 in my vehicles, again every 10,000 miles.

:agree:....10,000 is an easy number to remember, because if your dealer tells you it will cost $10,000 to replace your Engine you will remember that number!!!!!!..............................But seriously, we have committed people here testing their the oils they use and 5000 is about the MAX even using FULL SYNTHETIC.....if you think I'm nuts have yours tested at 10,000 miles and find out the truth ......This is not an area you want to be guessing about..........JMHO........Mike :thumbup:.....Also, I would like to add " Thank you for your Service "

PaladinLV
05-30-2015, 10:35 PM
:agree:....10,000 is an easy number to remember, because if your dealer tells you it will cost $10,000 to replace your Engine you will remember that number!!!!!!..............................But seriously, we have committed people here testing their the oils they use and 5000 is about the MAX even using FULL SYNTHETIC.....if you think I'm nuts have yours tested at 10,000 miles and find out the truth ......This is not an area you want to be guessing about..........JMHO........Mike :thumbup:.....Also, I would like to add " Thank you for your Service "
When my dealer tells me I need to replace my engine for following THEIR recommendations, they & BRP will be buying me a lot more then just an engine.

Have never REPEAT NEVER in 50 years lost an engine by following the manufacturer's recommendation for oil and frequency of replacement.
You think they don't do the same type of testing and factor that into the equation? :banghead:

But I guess different strokes for different folks!

AJ

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-30-2015, 10:56 PM
When my dealer tells me I need to replace my engine for following THEIR recommendations, they & BRP will be buying me a lot more then just an engine.

Have never REPEAT NEVER in 50 years lost an engine by following the manufacturer's recommendation for oil and frequency of replacement.
You think they don't do the same type of testing and factor that into the equation? :banghead:

But I guess different strokes for different folks!

AJ

Dear Sir .....BRP engineers are absolutely positive ( and so are their Lawyers ) that the engine will not FAIL before the WARRANTY EXPIRES......After that well ??????????...........I not worried about the "after", because I change mine at 5000 mi.and I don't use inferior BRP OIL........your welcome ..Mike.................NEWS FLASH !!!!!....I just found an older post by " ulflyer " who had His 10w 40 Amsoil tested at 4,000 miles and the Lab sent a caution message----- OIL gone to a LOW 30w rating at 4,000 miles ....so good luck with your Hopes and dreams for 10,000 miles.

jcthorne
05-31-2015, 08:17 AM

osm

My sincere apologies to the OP and others that read my post. It was a rude way to answer a newcomer. I am sorry.

If it adds any value to the discussion at all, I also will be using the Rotella T6 in my F3. I already use it in everything else we own except Louise 2013 RT. Been using it for years since Mobil Delvac One failed us not long after the Exxon takeover.

Marker
05-31-2015, 08:26 AM
Hello I will try and help you out . I searched and found this oil report.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?68586-Results-of-Amsoil-10W-40-lab-test-4000-Mi&highlight=1330+amsoil
Hop this helps

Bob Denman
05-31-2015, 08:34 AM
BajaRon is a site sponsor, and he sells all of the stuff that you'll need for oil changes...
Why not ask him for some advice? :thumbup:

murphybrown
05-31-2015, 08:46 AM

In a couple weeks I will be sending a sample in to satisfy my ?'s. Will let you know what I find. Just an FYI....I used only Amsoil in my '10...dealer strongly encouraged me to follow manual recommendations (trust me I know all about BRP selling product :lecturef_smilie:) when I picked up my '14... said OK..this will be my 3rd change and going to send it in for analysis...:yikes:

Chupaca
05-31-2015, 08:59 AM
Your manual gives you the specifications needed for these machines. If the oil you find meets those and is safe for wet clutch systems then you can use it. The weight can vary with where you live (warm climates, cold climates etc). I would stick with oils recommended for motorcycles but you are not limited to them. We have sponsors that can help you with oil and filters or you can shop locally...:thumbup:

Mr. White
05-31-2015, 10:44 AM

Thanks Mike. I quote the 2014 Spyder RT owners manual below. 9,300 miles or one year.....like I said, I do 10,000 miles and have for the last 30-35 years or so when I started using synthetic. If my engine fails due to not changing the oil earlier, it will be no problem. I will just buy another Spyder with my huge income....huge because my wife just got promoted to Head Oiler on the second shift at the sawmill and with her day job at Wal-Mart, the money is rolling in....

Thanks, I enjoyed my 29 years in the Air Force, 80% good and 20% bad. The bad was some not so nice places overseas....I got out after 29 years as I did not wish to make career of it....

EVERY 15 000 KM (9,300 MI) OR 1 YEAR (WHICHEVER COMES FIRST)
Using BRP Utility and Diagnostic Software (B.U.D.S.), check fault codes and install
required updates.
Replace engine oil and oil filter.

bmwlarry
05-31-2015, 10:50 AM

osm

I agree!! Just answer the question if you have the answer.!!!!

donkes
05-31-2015, 12:31 PM
try WD-40 :ohyea:

finless
05-31-2015, 12:40 PM
For what it is worth.

On Facebook a guy told me that "some folks in the know" which I will not name but they are important folks, say NOT to use Amsoil in the 1330!

He could not explain why only that they were pretty "in fact" about it. He did tell me who told him that which I found surprising and thus seemed valid.

I wish I could tell you more only that this did come up!!!!

Bob

coastrider
05-31-2015, 12:43 PM
Oil threads! Gotta love 'em!

PaladinLV
05-31-2015, 01:50 PM
Dear Sir .....BRP engineers are absolutely positive ( and so are their Lawyers ) that the engine will not FAIL before the WARRANTY EXPIRES......After that well ??????????...........I not worried about the "after", because I change mine at 5000 mi.and I don't use inferior BRP OIL........your welcome ..Mike.................NEWS FLASH !!!!!....I just found an older post by " ulflyer " who had His 10w 40 Amsoil tested at 4,000 miles and the Lab sent a caution message----- OIL gone to a LOW 30w rating at 4,000 miles ....so good luck with your Hopes and dreams for 10,000 miles.

Like I said, different strokes for different folks.
I use my personal ACTUAL data of over 1 million miles on various makes, models, and engine types. With one engine at 10 years and never a problem or significant wear, I'll stick with my program. I will say that I've been using full synthetic since 1973 in all my vehicle types.
I also remember a time when Aluminum block engines were considered INFERIOR and we know ho that worked out.

Each owners needs to do what THEY think is right for them.
One man's soup is another man's banquet.

steversssss
05-31-2015, 05:09 PM
For those who do their own oil/filter changes, where do you get the O-rings and seals? My dealer sells the change kit for $85.00...I like the idea of using a different oil though.

AeroPilot
05-31-2015, 05:53 PM
For those who do their own oil/filter changes, where do you get the O-rings and seals? My dealer sells the change kit for $85.00...I like the idea of using a different oil though.

Just let him know the year and Model and the number of filters and Orings/seal kits and he will fix you right up. I also think he can get you a good price on AmsOil if that is your wish.

Great Price and Service and one of the Sponsors of this Site!!

Utah Geezer
05-31-2015, 09:12 PM
Apology accepted on my end. Last time I checked we are all pretty human and make mistakes. Humility is a nice characteristic to have when needed.

My sincere apologies to the OP and others that read my post. It was a rude way to answer a newcomer. I am sorry.

If it adds any value to the discussion at all, I also will be using the Rotella T6 in my F3. I already use it in everything else we own except Louise 2013 RT. Been using it for years since Mobil Delvac One failed us not long after the Exxon takeover.

Spyderdale
06-01-2015, 12:58 PM
BajaRon is a site sponsor, and he sells all of the stuff that you'll need for oil changes...
Why not ask him for some advice? :thumbup: Thanks to everybody for your help;). I am going to get ahold of BajaRon.

Spyderdale
06-01-2015, 01:01 PM

If it adds any value to the discussion at all, I also will be using the Rotella T6 in my F3. I already use it in everything else we own except Louise 2013 RT. Been using it for years since Mobil Delvac One failed us not long after the Exxon takeover.. No offence taken jc we all have our bad days;);).