PDA

View Full Version : Back rest for 2014 RT-S

Gator37
05-29-2015, 02:07 PM
Have a new 2014 RT-S Spyder and thinking about a back rest. Don't want to spend $500 for the BRP back rest so thinking about the Utopia. On the OEM seat it looks like there is maybe already a slot cut out for the backrest and covered with a separate pice of material, not sure if glued or stitched. Am I correct in this? I am a little afraid to be cutting into the seat myself. Do not see that little patch on older Spyders. Have been told that the Utopia rest is an easy install, hope so cause not at all mechanical.

Thanks for any help.

Bob Denman
05-29-2015, 02:11 PM
Utopia does have a way to mount their backrest in the 2014 seat... I believe that you can even print the directions about it right off of their website. :thumbup:

http://www.utpr.com/spyderrt14.html

BikerDoc
05-29-2015, 02:21 PM
Not sure on 2014 since I have BRP back rest, but I had Utopia on the prior two RTs 2010 and 2012 and they both required cutting the seat to install.. Great Backrest!!! They even made the first camel backrest for me for the Lava Bronze bike with camel seat

Copperman
05-29-2015, 02:24 PM
Have a new 2014 RT-S Spyder and thinking about a back rest. Don't want to spend $500 for the BRP back rest so thinking about the Utopia. On the OEM seat it looks like there is maybe already a slot cut out for the backrest and covered with a separate pice of material, not sure if glued or stitched. Am I correct in this? I am a little afraid to be cutting into the seat myself. Do not see that little patch on older Spyders. Have been told that the Utopia rest is an easy install, hope so cause not at all mechanical.

Thanks for any help.

They're very nice and a breeze to install. You don't even have to remove the seat. The instruction will explain it all. I just installed one on my wife's 2014 RT-S, so I speak from experience.

The part you talk of, "On the OEM seat it looks like there is maybe already a slot cut out for the backrest and covered with a separate pice of material, not sure if glued or stitched." is removed with a small, flat bladed screwdriver. The directions explain everything.

If you have the two-tone seat, Utopia matches it perfectly. Go on their website and look around. Then, pick up the phone and call them. They'll answer any questions you might have. I did and they did.

Let us know what you decide.

joebryanjr
05-29-2015, 02:43 PM
Perfect fit and easy install. Took about 1/2 hr. no need to remove seat, just raise it.