PDA

View Full Version : tips for buying

J48cruiser
05-29-2015, 07:48 AM
looking to buy a new RT Limited any advice would be helpful like what accessories would be good to order with the bike, what are the hidden dealer chargers?

Bob Denman
05-29-2015, 07:57 AM
:welcome:
As much as I'm all about the farkle...

... it's probably best to put some miles on the bike, before deciding just what goodies you can't do without. :thumbup:
If you're looking for functional items; that depends a lot on how you'll be riding. A long-distance Tourer's needs are different from a Day-Trippers...
Pounding the superslabs is different from snaking through the twisties...

If you like flash and glitter; we've got some bikes in here that'll make your head spin... nojoke

Good Luck, and Happy Shopping! :2thumbs:

Mr. White
05-29-2015, 08:00 AM
looking to buy a new RT Limited any advice would be helpful like what accessories would be good to order with the bike, what are the hidden dealer chargers?

Shop more than one dealer. Most accessories are dealer installed. Foot pegs are useful. If you get a CB, you have to spend $ for a new wiring harness. Hidden charges....some dealers will try to charge for freight and assembly. Don't list to that. Ask each dealer out the door price and shop....and check if their tech has been to the Spyder school. Good luck.

:spyder2:

Tango
05-29-2015, 08:29 AM
Check more than one dealer!
Don't fall for the freight and assembly!
Look for, or ask for, a leftover 14! You will save big!! :thumbup:

Because I ride 2 up most of the time. F4 windshield Tall wide with vent. Tremendous difference in less head buffeting. Bump skid, Elka shocks (wow what a difference they make). Highway pegs. So you can stretch out the legs. I also removed the gas and temp gauges and replaced with a dual usb from JT, and a clock that is easy to read. This also activates the digital gauges in the dash. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Orange Spyder Man
05-29-2015, 09:07 AM
I would recommend checking internet prices to compare local dealer prices... the more info you have = the more you can save.. its very possible traveling to purchase your ride might save you THOUSANDS.. besides the ride back will be fun... check around for accessories on the internet also.. prices can vary between dealers ..

osm

Chupaca
05-29-2015, 09:10 AM
Shopping price ask for the out the door price. Dealers will move those odd charges around, rename them or stuff them in somewhere else.
As for add ons, like Bob said, ryde for a while to see what you feel is lacking, if anything, then start with safety items followed by comfort things and finally bells and whistles... Happy hunting...:thumbup:

JayBros
05-29-2015, 09:11 AM
If you're focusing exclusively on a Limited I agree with Bob. That critter's coming with a load of standard stuff and you should log some miles before selecting farkles, some of which you may find unnecessary.

J48cruiser
05-29-2015, 10:08 AM
thinking about the back rest & the vented windshield, presently I'm riding a GL 1800 with Nolan Bluetooth both days this work on the bike or will I need a new cable from the helmet to the trike

ARtraveler
05-29-2015, 12:35 PM
All advice above good.

The LTD comes with almost everything--including a lot of chrome.

Recommendations to wait about 1000 miles or so before buying additional bling--is good. This will give you a chance to get to know your :ani29: well, and what you do and do not like.

If you have to--then the custom dynamics trunk light bar, and the lighted bumpskid are nice bling add ons.

No dealer prep and freight. A potential install deal on any out the door accessories. All good.

The final price you pay is what counts. Trades can be adjusted up/down, msrp can be played with, bank financing rates will vary, etc. Even expensive doc fees.

IMO: price is not everything. Some lowballers are very bad when it comes to servicing. They want the money and hope to never be bothered by you again. The :spyder2: sometimes needs loving care by a competent dealer.

DJFaninTN
05-29-2015, 01:01 PM
first thing I'd add is a sway bar and get a lazer alignment done. everything else you'll figure out over time what you desire.

shop around and ask some local folks who ride spyders where they got theirs and what they thought of the dealer

fratzba
06-02-2015, 01:06 AM
See if you can find a Can-Am demo day near you.

If you attend, they provide an additional $1,000 rebate, above and beyond any deal you make with the dealer.

-Fratz

PrairieSpyder
06-02-2015, 08:02 AM
:welcome: You've gotten lots of advice already. I would second about the anti-sway bar and laser alignment. Can't wait to see what you get!