PDA

View Full Version : lemon law?

greatrides
05-28-2015, 10:20 PM
Has anyone looked into the lemon law? My poor spyder has a very poor dealer that can not fix anything. I have had it 9 months and it's been in the shop for 2 of them! Oil leaks, vibration in bars, ecu does not reset which does crazy things with gauges and the radio. Second dealer I have tried and I love my spyder 16000 miles on it but when is it time to say no more!! Brp has not been much help but realistically what can they do.

dvmdf
05-28-2015, 10:48 PM
The laws differ state to state, if you feel that the dealer is not resolving your issues check with an attorney. 1st consult is usually free to see if you have a case.

Chupaca
05-29-2015, 12:23 AM
seems your not dealing with the right people. Not knowing much from what you have posted hard to say. Considering you have had the roadster for 9 months and put 16,000 miles on it hard to call it a lemon. The two months you mention is all at once, every few weeks ? and how long a wait for service..?? Don't know your options to getting it to a better place but would look for one. Hope you find a solution...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
05-29-2015, 07:05 AM
Sorry; but :agree:.
16,000 miles seems to mean that you're able to ride it... :shocked:
You might just need a new dealer. Have you considered that? :dontknow:

Dudley
05-29-2015, 08:56 AM
A new dealer would be my first option. I would ask for any suggestions for a new dealer from fellow riders on SL. Also, have the problems you mentioned been fixed? If not which ones are still an issue? Are you wanting a Spyder that meets your expectations? I am on my third Spyder since 2008, have over 100,000 Spyder miles. Everyone of the Spyders has had some issues that needed attention, but none of them have left me stranded. I have learned to adjust my expectations to the Spyder and not the Spyder to mine. Doing this I have thoroughly enjoyed riding and worrying less.

MisterP
05-29-2015, 12:21 PM
Wow, does anyone read posts before they start making judgement? The OP did not say he put 16k on the bike in 7 months, simply that it has 16k on the odometer.

A quick Google search came up with this link to the Ohio Attorney General concerning lemon laws in that state. http://www.ohioattorneygeneral.gov/Individuals-and-Families/Consumers/Consumer-Tips/Consumer-Tips-Auto/Lemon-Laws

if the OP bought a used Spyder, and is now experiencing problems, the lemon law doesn't apply. Details can be found in the link.

ARtraveler
05-29-2015, 12:26 PM
A few more details might be helpful from the OP.

Bought new/used--good for starters.

Many times we have heard of incompetent dealers. They add immensely to the problem when they don't have a clue how to fix and just wish you would go away. Keeping the spyder for months at a time is one of these signs.

bruiser
05-29-2015, 01:19 PM
What year? How many miles on it when you got it? Purchased from a dealer or individual? Most states, lemon laws do not apply to pre-owned vehicles. It's referred to "as is where is". If the vehicle has OEM warranty left on it, then you may have a case.

greatrides
05-29-2015, 07:06 PM
It spent 30 days in for an oil leak was not fixed took it back then 2 weeks for same leak replaced some seals still leaks. 4 times in the shop for vibration in bars still not fixed. Limp home mod once the motor misses at times. Gauges stop working at times. Will not let you turn up or down the radio will not let you change stations. But best of all plastic under windscreen came apart and I got it out of the shop today like this after I was told it was done by 2 different people.108432108432

greatrides
05-29-2015, 07:11 PM
2014..Got it New and I put all the miles on it it had 0 when I got it. More pics of what they did.108433 I have tried108433 2 different dealers with no luck. Sway bar links took them 2 times to get right. There is more still a little mad how it is right now.

bruiser
05-29-2015, 09:19 PM
The dealer is responsible for that damage. If they decline, find a lawyer. Also, PM BRP Care. Send them the pictures and see if they can put some heat on the dealer. I would also have them open a case on all of your troubles.

greatrides
05-29-2015, 09:21 PM
We can pm Brp?

MRH
05-29-2015, 09:32 PM
I agree that these issues point to the dealer rather than the Spyder itself. I'm sure that there are other members here who would have suggestions for great dealers who may be able to clean this up for you.

Service seems to come up as the root of more recurring issues than actual issues with the bike (excluding the 2013 issues, of course, which are finally being addressed).

greatrides
05-29-2015, 10:14 PM
I agree that these issues point to the dealer rather than the Spyder itself. I'm sure that there are other members here who would have suggestions for great dealers who may be able to clean this up for you.

Service seems to come up as the root of more recurring issues than actual issues with the bike (excluding the 2013 issues, of course, which are finally being addressed).

I love the spyder it is my second in 3 years. I know it's the dealer that sucks but when you pay so much you just want it right. I had to do some mods because I need the poor thing this weekend. Little duct tape goes a long way!!108452:roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
05-30-2015, 02:28 PM
I believe it was determined that the Lemon Laws do NOT apply to motorcycles in your State...

...But it wouldn't matter if it did; this is just a case of a lousy dealer!
You do have legal recourse against them for this.... Put it to good use! :thumbup:

MisterP
05-30-2015, 06:01 PM
I believe it was determined that the Lemon Laws do NOT apply to motorcycles in your State...

...But it wouldn't matter if it did; this is just a case of a lousy dealer!
You do have legal recourse against them for this.... Put it to good use! :thumbup:

lemon law does not apply to a used motorcycle, he later posted he bought it new.

A lemon law does not protect an owner from a bad dealer, and I think the OP needs to move away from that thinking. As others have said, he needs to get BRP involved.

greatrides
05-30-2015, 08:05 PM
I have pm Brp and I will be calling first thing Monday! I have never had good luck with Brp they say go somewhere else or the last time they told me I did not even have a warranty on it because I did not have the dealer do the first oil change.
It gets old when you see the kind of work the dealer does and when you reach out for help from Brp you get no support! I know I have put a lot of miles on it but and this is a big but every mile I have put on the spyder something has been broken in it.
I'm running on so I will go and I will post what Brp says...wish me luck!!

greatrides
05-30-2015, 08:10 PM
One last thing ohio does have a lemon law for motorcycles and why I asked that is with no help from Brp and 2 dealers that suck I don't want stuck with a 23000 dollar spyder that needs 3000 dollars of repairs! But Brp will step up I know they will.:thumbup:

Bob Denman
05-31-2015, 08:51 AM
Good Luck with the next step; please let us know what happens! :thumbup: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108511&stc=1

Bob Denman
06-01-2015, 07:15 AM
Oh!
For the next time that this question pops up...

https://www.ohiobar.org/ForPublic/Resources/LawYouCanUse/Pages/Lemon-Law-for-Motorcycles-Protects-Ohio-Consumers.aspx

greatrides
06-02-2015, 11:04 PM
Dealer called me yesterday and told me my parts where in!! Told me to come on in and they will replace headlight away, I was at work and could not come in. Got to the dealer at 11:30today and around 1 they where some. This was a good experience and they did a good job. So now the o my thing they have to do is find the oil leak, replace left front out of round rim, and see why it out me in limp home mode last week.
If they have to do one thing at a time I don't understand but if they do it right it is what it is. I will keep posting the good and the bad but they did good today. Post some pics tomorrow and the fix of the finders after they were a little carless.

greatrides
06-09-2015, 12:25 PM
Just got the spyder back out of shop for new headlight assembly and the left turn signal will not self cancel now and the cruise control stopped working. Called Brp and the dealer it goes back in the June 1 and the dealer and Brp will see what next step will be.
I know Brp makes a great product and I will buy another one just this poor spyder/ dealer can not work out all the bugs!

Bob Denman
06-09-2015, 02:40 PM
:shocked: This has been one tough stretch of road for you...
Here's to hoping that you keep making progress! :cheers: