PDA

View Full Version : Leaking brake fluid....

Chupaca
05-26-2015, 03:17 PM
Found what looks like oil spots under my 2012 RS Sm5 27,000 miles. Would appear between the rear shock and exhaust crossover....
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108163&stc=1

Happened a couple times so it was time to investigate. Did I mention I hate chasing leaks..:banghead: . Well pulled some panels

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108164&stc=1

Suspected the shock but noticed that it was not leaking and the moisture was above the shock and the frame paint was damaged. Rough and bubbled. Brake fluid does that not oil...cleaned things up fluid was low so topped it off and placed a papper napkin around the cap to see if the caps are leaking.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108165&stc=1

But just letting those with what looks like oil spots under their machines know that it could be brake fluid...always good to check your level....:lecturef_smilie:

billybovine
05-26-2015, 03:27 PM
Cap is on the wrong way. If the vent is facing forward it will leak.

coz
05-26-2015, 03:35 PM
Don't overfill either, I think I did a long time ago, and it continued to leak until it got low enough to not leak.:roflblack: And that was with the vents pointing up hill . It is EASY to overfill.:yikes: Your pics are excellent .:thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
05-26-2015, 04:00 PM
Cap is on the wrong way. If the vent is facing forward it will leak.

:agree::agree:, that was the first thing i noticed, turn the caps so that the bottom end is up, they have a space in them for venting.

Cruzr Joe

Bob Denman
05-26-2015, 04:55 PM
Gene,
Question: Do you have any idea what might have caused the leak? :dontknow:

Cruzr Joe
05-26-2015, 05:09 PM
Gene,
Question: Do you have any idea what might have caused the leak? :dontknow:

GRAVITY .......... The upside down caps is a good suspect. The vented side is facing down instead of up.

Cruzr joe

Bob Denman
05-26-2015, 06:01 PM
Thanks... I wondered if that was the cause, or just a by-product of the work that was done...

Cruzr Joe
05-26-2015, 06:10 PM
Thanks... I wondered if that was the cause, or just a by-product of the work that was done...

That is my assumption.

Cruzr joe

Chupaca
05-26-2015, 06:31 PM
interesting that they would not mention this on the cap. As much as they emphasize keeping the fluid level up you would think the cap would be marked with "top" "up" or an arrow. So you switch the to the 11:00 position and see if this solves the problem or if the level is also an issue here...:bowdown::bowdown:

Cruzr Joe
05-26-2015, 06:34 PM
interesting that they would not mention this on the cap. As much as they emphasize keeping the fluid level up you would think the cap would be marked with "top" "up" or an arrow. So you switch the to the 11:00 position and see if this is solves the problem or if the level is also an issue here...:bowdown::bowdown:

Chupaca

That is the what happened to me on my 2012, put caps on properly and no more leeks.

Cruzr Joe

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-26-2015, 07:33 PM
interesting that they would not mention this on the cap. As much as they emphasize keeping the fluid level up you would think the cap would be marked with "top" "up" or an arrow. So you switch the to the 11:00 position and see if this solves the problem or if the level is also an issue here...:bowdown::bowdown:

Or maybe only have the cap able to be put on in one position only !!!!!!.........................Nah , that would make sense :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:.....Mike :thumbup: