PDA

View Full Version : 2013 RT Elevated Temperature in Engine Compartment - Safety Campaign

Pages : [1] 2

BRPcare
05-26-2015, 10:04 AM
Hi everyone,

The Safety Campaign for the 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT is now underway (http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/owners/safety/safety-recalls/elevated-temperature-in-engine-compartment.html). If you are the owner of a 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT, regardless of country of operation, then it is subject to the safety recall.

The repair consists of a combination of multiple updates, including but not limited to a reworking of the vehicle's fuel system as well as improved, modified body panels.

BRP has requested that your dealer contact you, and we have also sent a letter to all known registered owners. However, we ask that you do not wait and call your dealer to schedule an appointment for this procedure.

In the meantime, you can keep using your Can-Am Spyder RT while taking the following precautions in hot riding conditions (ambient temperature of approximately 30 C/85 F and more):

Avoid idling or slow traffic riding for a long period of time.
Avoid parking in an enclosed area immediately after your ride; let your vehicle cool down first.
Avoid prolonged direct contact with body panels; wear appropriate riding gear as stated in the Operator’s Guide.

For any other questions related to this campaign, please post them here.

Bob Denman
05-26-2015, 10:15 AM
Thanks!! :thumbup:
Okay gang; who has anything to report?

(Oh! I am also VERY happy that I was completely wrong on the date of this announcement!)

finless
05-26-2015, 10:18 AM
Quite a few 2013 owners on Facebook have reported getting the letter but when they called their dealer, the dealer was not aware of it. This was just this past weeks conversations.

So looks like the dealers need some time to get tuned into this.

Bob

Craniac
05-26-2015, 10:20 AM
A little lacking in details if you ask me.

jcthorne
05-26-2015, 10:23 AM
Well with the announcement just being released this morning, any conversations held prior have no bearing at this point. We have a call in to Mancuso on scheduling Louise bike in. No info so far, they are checking on it ..... I won't hold my breath. Will post back if we get things moving.

Is the actual notice and the recall instructions available anywhere for full details? Just interested on where this is going. We plan to get the work done regardless and see how things turn out. Just want to know what Mancuso will be doing with the bike. I will need to thoroughly recheck everything on return. My history with them is not favorable.

ekfraz
05-26-2015, 10:23 AM
My dealer cannot schedule me in until they get notice from BRP it is Wild West in Katy 281/392-8940 so if anyone from BRP reads this please call them.

sliderrj
05-26-2015, 10:26 AM
Hi everyone,

The Safety Camapaign for the 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT is now underway. If you are the owner of a 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT, regardless of country of operation, then it is subject to the safety recall.

The repair consists of a combination of multiples updates, including but not limited to a reworking of the vehicle's fuel system as well as improved, modified body panels.

BRP has requested that your dealer contact you, and we have also sent a letter to all known registered owners. However, we ask that you do not wait and call your dealer to schedule an appointment for this procedure.

In the meantime, you can keep using your Can-Am Spyder RT while taking the following precautions in hot riding conditions (ambient temperature of approximately 30 C/85 F and more):

Avoid parking in an enclosed area immediately after your ride; let your vehicle cool down first.
Avoid prolonged direct contact with body panels; wear appropriate riding gear as stated in the Operator’s Guide.

I have a 2013 Spyder Rt that I bought used a week ago. It has 5,200+ miles on it and the dealer in Central Ohio I bought it from said there was not a recall per my vin number. What's up with this, are all 2013 RT's under this recall?

DARRELL8755
05-26-2015, 10:27 AM
I just called the dealer where I bought ours in pa and he stated that he could order the parts but brp didn't send them the tool to do it. We are moving south in 3 weeks so I guess I will have to wait until we get there.

BRPcare
05-26-2015, 10:30 AM
I have a 2013 Spyder Rt that I bought used a week ago. It has 5,200+ miles on it and the dealer in Central Ohio I bought it from said there was not a recall per my vin number. What's up with this, are all 2013 RT's under this recall?
Hi sliderrj,

Yes, all 2013 RT models are included under this recall; as the campaign was just made live this morning it might not have shown up on your vehicle at the time of purchase.

arsquatch
05-26-2015, 10:35 AM
Steve @ BRPCare,

Can you throw out some photos of the new body panels, for us to get a look at. Let us see what is changing. Thanks

finless
05-26-2015, 10:58 AM
I am sure BRP published something on BOSSweb for all dealers to see.

Maybe BRP is willing to post this Tech Bulletin?

Bob

BRPcare
05-26-2015, 10:59 AM
Steve @ BRPCare,

Can you throw out some photos of the new body panels, for us to get a look at. Let us see what is changing. Thanks

Hi arsquatch,

Regarding the body panel portion of the campaign, you can expect to see something like this:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108131&stc=1
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108132&stc=1

arsquatch
05-26-2015, 11:01 AM
THANKS STEVE, that is what I had anticipate. It made the only logical sense. I actually like it and do not think it will detract from the look of the bike. Cool...

Bob Denman
05-26-2015, 11:03 AM
They appear to be reminiscent of the ones offered by Vertika...
I think that CuznJohn was on the right track! :thumbup:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108135&stc=1

jcthorne
05-26-2015, 11:03 AM
I was fearful of how this would go, looks wise. I think those new scoops or air inlets actually look pretty darn good. Look forward to getting them. Being black, they do not need various color ones and they complement the overall look pretty well.

At least for this piece, it seems its nicely done.

Commander
05-26-2015, 11:11 AM
Steve,

What will be the man hours involved in getting this done once the :ani29: goes in the shop?

Frank

BRPcare
05-26-2015, 11:12 AM
Steve,
What will be the man hours involved in getting this done once the :ani29: goes in the shop?
Frank
Hi Commander,

The entire update should take approximately 4 hours to complete from start to finish.

barryj
05-26-2015, 11:20 AM
Hi Commander,

The entire update should take approximately 4 hours to complete from start to finish.

I purchased a 2013 from a dealer in North Jersey and wonder how long it will be before the dealer has the parts and can release it to me. Not looking forward to a summer without riding!! Sold my 2 wheeler in anticipation of having this resolved.....

finless
05-26-2015, 11:27 AM
I can see an aftermarket thing already once those scoops are on!

Adjustable air deflectors (that look good) to give the rider some air. I personally like mine and use them all the time.

Bob

BRPcare
05-26-2015, 11:29 AM
I purchased a 2013 from a dealer in North Jersey and wonder how long it will be before the dealer has the parts and can release it to me.
Hi barryj,

Required parts for the campaign are currently available and will be shipped to dealers upon request. Get in touch with your dealer to set an appointment.

ericauz
05-26-2015, 11:32 AM
Hi Commander,

My dealer said that they do not have the parts, because BRP did not send them the parts. Shouldn't the dealers and BRP be in better communication? The dealer said to call back in mid June. Do the dealers have to request the parts before BRP sends them out? The dealer didn't seem to be very informed about the recall.

wyliec
05-26-2015, 11:34 AM
My dealer said that they do not have the parts, because BRP did not send them the parts. Shouldn't the dealers and BRP be in better communication? The dealer said to call back in mid June. Do the dealers have to request the parts before BRP sends them out? The dealer didn't seem to be very informed about the recall.

See post #20. The dealer has to request the parts.

condorflysu
05-26-2015, 11:35 AM
Driving to dealer now ... ETA 15 min... to schedule.

ARCTIC
05-26-2015, 11:36 AM
The air induction panels on my 13 ST made all the difference in the world on my bike so I'm sure this will fix your RT's too!!!

barryj
05-26-2015, 11:38 AM
Hi barryj,

Required parts for the campaign are currently available and will be shipped to dealers upon request. Get in touch with your dealer to set an appointment.
Was this remedy for Campaign 13v386000 Service Brakes (master cylinder)

JKMSPYDER
05-26-2015, 11:40 AM
Steve can you give more information in layman's terms what reworking the vehicle's fuel system means?

stevedfive
05-26-2015, 11:41 AM
I could see that this scoop might even help the earlier years that have heat issues as well. A fix that looks good, Well Done!

Cruzr Joe
05-26-2015, 11:44 AM
Thanks, BRP, I know many people have been waiting for this.

Cruzr Joe

finless
05-26-2015, 11:51 AM
I could see that this scoop might even help the earlier years that have heat issues as well. A fix that looks good, Well Done!

+100 Steve!

Hoping BRP will eventually make these as orderable parts. Problem might be matching the paint of older models.

Bob

cuznjohn
05-26-2015, 11:54 AM
i basically did the same thing and sorry to say i don't really think it helped. sorry to be the downer on this but i say it like i see it. the heat coming out on my feet was still too much for me to handle so i sold the bike. now let me say that the heat doesn't bother the new owner as much as it did me. i do hope the multiple updates Steve talks about helps also.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108146&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108145&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108143&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108144&stc=1

Larry rt
05-26-2015, 11:55 AM
This appears to be where the adjustable air vents are mounted! Is BRP going to refund the money I paid for them? It a pears that I can no longer use them.
I am glad they came up with a solution, so I was wondering what I will do with these vents I invested in?
Please correct me if I am wrong.

finless
05-26-2015, 11:59 AM
i basically did the same thing and sorry to say i don't really think it helped. sorry to be the downer on this but i say it like i see it. the heat coming out on my feet was still too much for me to handle so i sold the bike. now let me say that the heat doesn't bother the new owner as much as it did me. i do hope the multiple updates Steve talks about helps also.

I am going to go out on a limb here about the scoops as I have had my Spyder apart many times and looked at this area for a DIY.

The stock openings these vents feed is paneled off inside to the full internal engine area (they seem to be there to let heat from the radiator go up and out when your not moving).

My bet is just adding the scoops is not all they are doing. I think there is also going to be panel mods inside to direct the air from these scoops the back of the engine area.

Steve, care to elaborate? We are curious :)

Bob

finless
05-26-2015, 12:01 PM
This appears to be where the adjustable air vents are mounted! Is BRP going to refund the money I paid for them? It a pears that I can no longer use them.
I am glad they came up with a solution, so I was wondering what I will do with these vents I invested in?

Yes it looks like you will be losing the adjustable vents! Time for a aftermarket setup I think :)

Or figure out a way to mount the ones you have. Probably would not be hard.

Bob

BRPcare
05-26-2015, 12:05 PM
Hi Larry rt,
If you're referring to the BRP Fixed upper wind deflector or BRP Adjustable side wind deflector, you will be credited for the current retail price of these items after they are removed and the recall has been performed on your Spyder. Your dealer will manage reimbursements for these items for use as credit for parts, accessories or maintenance services.

Bob Denman
05-26-2015, 12:08 PM
:agree: Post them in hers... Somebody will find a good use for them! :thumbup:

cuznjohn
05-26-2015, 12:11 PM
I am going to go out on a limb here about the scoops as I have had my Spyder apart many times and looked at this area for a DIY.

The stock openings these vents feed is paneled off inside to the full internal engine area (they seem to be there to let heat from the radiator go up and out when your not moving).

My bet is just adding the scoops is not all they are doing. I think there is also going to be panel mods inside to direct the air from these scoops the back of the engine area.

Bob

like i said, i hope it does work for the others having it done. i also did the bottom air vents but i still had hot air from the radiator blowing on my feet. i would of bet my bottom dollar that BRP would of tried to put a reversing fan motor on the radiator like the 14's, because that really worked wonders .

finless
05-26-2015, 12:11 PM
Hi Larry rt,
If you're referring to the BRP Fixed upper wind deflector or BRP Adjustable side wind deflector, you will be credited for the current retail price of these items after they are removed and the recall has been performed on your Spyder. Your dealer will manage reimbursements for these items for use as credit for parts, accessories or maintenance services.

That's pretty darn cool right there BRP!

Bob

finless
05-26-2015, 12:13 PM
like i said, i hope it does work for the others having it done. i also did the bottom air vents but i still had hot air from the radiator blowing on my feet. i would of bet my bottom dollar that BRP would of tried to put a reversing fan motor on the radiator like the 14's, because that really worked wonders .

Someone on Facebook said they were a "tester" for this fix and in fact that they added the reverse fan.

Now realize one person saying this doesn't mean anything (it's the internet :) ) and even as a tester, that does not mean this was the final setup chosen by BRP.

Bob

cuznjohn
05-26-2015, 12:15 PM
here is the bottom vent i put on the bike

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108147&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108148&stc=1

arsquatch
05-26-2015, 12:22 PM
Hey Gang,

Before we start down the rabbit hole of bad things, let's remember that Steve posted that the fix included, but not limited to reworking fuel components and body panels. So I am going to assume they maybe including the reverse fan that is discussed along with a few other components here and there. They did say this was a pretty big fix. So Steve can you elaborate more on exactly all of the components for this recall and break it all down for us?

Thanks

finless
05-26-2015, 12:25 PM
Would be "SWEET" if BRP posted the PDF of the instructions that come with the parts kit!
Also the BOSS web bulletin.

Please? :pray:

Bob

R&L Limted
05-26-2015, 12:28 PM
Hi Larry rt,
Thank you Steve for this , are there going to be a new style that will get some air to pilot & passenger , or means to make the adjustable attach to panels, in Tn.these are very importent .:yes:

taxmyzer
05-26-2015, 12:29 PM
Hi barryj,

Are the scoops part of the new panel or just an add on to the existing panel? Also will these scoops come painted to match existing color? Would be nice if panel was all one piece rather than an add on.

Dan McNally
05-26-2015, 12:29 PM
Have the call in to my dealer, and am looking forward to the work being completed :ohyea: . . . I have lots of trips on the calendar for this season. nojoke

Thanks for sharing this, Steve . . . :firstplace:

Larry rt
05-26-2015, 12:37 PM
Steve, thanks for you quick reply! !

BRPcare
05-26-2015, 12:38 PM
Would be "SWEET" if BRP posted the PDF of the instructions that come with the parts kit!
Also the BOSS web bulletin.
Hi finless,
While for obvious reasons we can't post that publicly, dealers will obviously share with customers specifically what is being done when the recall update is performed on their vehicle.

finless
05-26-2015, 12:40 PM
Hi finless,
While for obvious reasons we can't post that publicly, dealers will obviously share with customers specifically what is being done when the recall update is performed on their vehicle.

Thanks Steve! But not sure what the obvious reasons are?
It will get out at some point, it always does :)
I can wait... I am just a techno nerd that likes to know things :)
Thanks for your response!

Bob

jcthorne
05-26-2015, 12:51 PM
Thanks Steve! But not sure what the obvious reasons are?
It will get out at some point, it always does :)
I can wait... I am just a techno nerd that likes to know things :)
Thanks for your response!

Bob

Same here. The full instructions will be in the repair kits. A copy will get posted here soon enough. I will if we are the first to see them. Appointment scheduled for next week, parts are due in by June 2.

R&L Limted
05-26-2015, 01:00 PM
So will the adjustable vents be remounted someway ? In Tn. way to hot without, and do not care for otherones that are in the market.:pray:

Sherpagirl
05-26-2015, 01:03 PM
Just spoke to my dealer. Nothing in BOSSweb that came up for my VIN. 2013 RT-S. Hmmm

jetmech
05-26-2015, 01:05 PM
Steve,
can you provide how much temperature drop your team measured on you test vehicle(s)?
Does BRP have enough parts to all the RTs affected?

Thanks
Jetmech

Hi everyone,

The Safety Campaign for the 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT is now underway (http://can-am.brp.com/spyder/owners/safety/safety-recalls/elevated-temperature-in-engine-compartment.html). If you are the owner of a 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT, regardless of country of operation, then it is subject to the safety recall.

The repair consists of a combination of multiple updates, including but not limited to a reworking of the vehicle's fuel system as well as improved, modified body panels.

sduskin
05-26-2015, 01:08 PM
I would prefer this to the funky clear wind deflectors, even though I dont need it on my '14.

Can you say FARKLE??

Bob Denman
05-26-2015, 01:11 PM
...Get the chrome ones! :D :2thumbs:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108153&stc=1

Huddleston
05-26-2015, 01:12 PM
Hi Larry rt,

I have already spent the money to add the Vertika vents to my RTS SE5. It does keep the Spyder cooler while riding at highway speeds, but does nothing for slow speed in hot weather. What else is being done to address the issue, such as a reversing fan? Are the vents going to be painted to match the Spyder's color?

ARtraveler
05-26-2015, 01:16 PM
Glad to see the party is up and running, and before the time that a few predicted. :bowdown::bowdown:

A lot of logistics involved, and it seems that the public will have its part in educating some of the dealers to make the project run smooth.

Thank you for fielding several questions that were asked by specific owners concerning the recall.

R&L Limted
05-26-2015, 01:19 PM
:spyder:
...Get the chrome ones!
Agree Bob,this is what we have ,& do not want to loose them, in this mod. way to hot in TN. without!

cuznjohn
05-26-2015, 01:19 PM
...Get the chrome ones! :D :2thumbs:

bob where did you get the chrome vent covers at

R&L Limted
05-26-2015, 01:24 PM
Have we lost contact with Steve from BRP?:banghead:

Bob Denman
05-26-2015, 01:39 PM
That's just an OEM Accessory piece, that you can get right from your dealer...
The Part Number is: 219400413

finless
05-26-2015, 01:42 PM

They are a standard upgrade from BRP. They are the adjustable vents. You can get them in a clearish plastic or Chrome.

Bob

ekfraz
05-26-2015, 02:10 PM
what is going to keep the heat from getting my right foot,leg and thigh area? will the values of the Spyders return to what they should be?

Bob Denman
05-26-2015, 02:34 PM
What should it be? :dontknow:
The market decides that...

daviszoo1
05-26-2015, 02:39 PM
Hello Steve, thank you for your information on the 2013 Spyder RT's. Question; is there any loyalty rebate on trading our 2013 RT Limited on a 2015 RT Limited?
Also would there be any consideration on what we had done on our part to help with the heat issue; (wrap the pipes & adding insulation). Thanks in advance for your reply.

BRPcare
05-26-2015, 02:41 PM
Does BRP have enough parts to all the RTs affected?
Hi jetmech,

Yes, as mentioned earlier the required parts are already available and will be shipping to dealers upon request.

ekfraz
05-26-2015, 02:42 PM
I think they need some type of block off for the rt. side and a vent on the bottom of the Spyder, I understand that the market has the 2013 depreciated much lower than they should be because of the problems, the dealers will not make a good deal if you are trading a 2013 RT in for a newer model.

Chupaca
05-26-2015, 02:43 PM
Now the final phase..Joe public..!! I think those that hung in there will be pleased...:thumbup:

BRPcare
05-26-2015, 02:46 PM
Also would there be any consideration on what we had done on our part to help with the heat issue; (wrap the pipes & adding insulation). Thanks in advance for your reply.
Hi daviszoo1,

Yes. Please keep all receipts related to any work performed on your Spyder RT done with the intent of addressing high levels of heat in the engine compartment. When you visit your dealer to have the recall work performed, your dealer will notify us and be made aware of the procedure to follow, if any, to have this addressed. Note that only modifications performed with the specific intent of addressing high levels of heat in the engine compartment will be considered for compensation.

taxmyzer
05-26-2015, 02:55 PM
Hi daviszoo1,

Yes. Please keep all receipts related to any work performed on your Spyder RT done with the intent of addressing high levels of heat in the engine compartment. When you visit your dealer to have the recall work performed, your dealer will notify us and be made aware of the procedure to follow, if any, to have this addressed. Note that only modifications performed with the specific intent of addressing high levels of heat in the engine compartment will be considered for compensation.

Examples:

Wrapping pipes
cat-bypass
heat coating
virtika scoops
additional heat shielding

Does this include labor?

Spyder 42
05-26-2015, 03:06 PM
:agree: Post them in hers... Somebody will find a good use for them! :thumbup:

yes, please do.

finless
05-26-2015, 03:14 PM
Same here. The full instructions will be in the repair kits. A copy will get posted here soon enough. I will if we are the first to see them. Appointment scheduled for next week, parts are due in by June 2.

And here you go.... That did not take long :)

Robmorg got it somehow.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?81463-2013-Heat-Recall-WB-2013-10

Bob

MouthPiece
05-26-2015, 03:16 PM
Thanks, Steve, for keeping egg off my facing and posting during the month of May. Secondly, it looks like even though BRP has kept its word, there are those who still choose to grumble.

Chris

finless
05-26-2015, 03:19 PM

Bob

As I suspected! Per the PDF just posted the acoustic panels are being tossed! So to make the scoops do the job they are changing how the air flows internally!

Also looks like a complete redo of the Evap system!

Bob

cuznjohn
05-26-2015, 03:22 PM
that sure looks like a lot of work for the 4 hrs. steve said it might take to do

finless
05-26-2015, 03:27 PM
Will be interesting to see what people think of the noise levels with the acoustic panels removed. They are not being replaced with anything.

I might try it on my 2011 RTS. Removing these will give more air from the top vents to the back of the engine compartment!

Might help some other year models that complain of heat at the seat. I don't have an issue but might just try it anyway.

The scoops are cool.... I want a set :)

Bob

jetmech
05-26-2015, 03:30 PM
Thanks Steve, I spoke to my dealer service department today. They said they would order the parts for the fix. Can you please share data on how much temperature decrease BRP realized with these fixes, at low a d high speed and at what ambient temperatures the fixes were tested at please?

Hi jetmech,

Yes, as mentioned earlier the required parts are already available and will be shipping to dealers upon request.

cuznjohn
05-26-2015, 03:40 PM
Examples:

Wrapping pipes
cat-bypass
heat coating
virtika scoops
additional heat shielding

Does this include labor?

when i did the vents on my bike it was 1800 in parts and 550 in painting, this is the second time i am posting this because i can't find the first one i poster. heck it would be nice to get the 1800 back and i will eat the paint and labor

BRPcare
05-26-2015, 03:41 PM
A lot of logistics involved, and it seems that the public will have its part in educating some of the dealers to make the project run smooth.
It's important to note that the recall fix was announced today; both to the dealer network as well to owners here on SpyderLovers and other social media. Information travels fast on the web and with dealers being informed at the same time as you were, it's possible that some of them are still being notified and sifting through all the information that they have to go through. We have a great dealer network - if your dealer doesn't have all the details yet, consider giving them a bit of time to get everything sorted out properly.

Huddleston
05-26-2015, 03:47 PM
when i did the vents on my bike it was 1800 in parts and 550 in painting, this is the second time i am posting this because i can't find the first one i poster. heck it would be nice to get the 1800 back and i will eat the paint and labor

I agree it would be nice to get the money back. However, I can't see that happening. I hope to sell my Vertika Vents to someone with an older RTS to recoup some of that money.

arsquatch
05-26-2015, 04:23 PM
Honestly this should solve the issues, at least I hope in reading a Yahoo News post the investigation has been closed, so I am sure NTHSA would not close this unless they felt the solution resolved all the outstanding and reported issues.

MouthPiece
05-26-2015, 04:24 PM
Greg, at Seminole Power Sports, in Sanford, Flarda, called and said he was calling to beat me to the punch. He has already scheduled a work order for me, said the parts are in Georgia and that we should be "good to go" next week.

Chris

ARCTIC
05-26-2015, 05:04 PM
Thanks Steve, I spoke to my dealer service department today. They said they would order the parts for the fix. Can you please share data on how much temperature decrease BRP realized with these fixes, at low a d high speed and at what ambient temperatures the fixes were tested at please?

Does it make a difference in your decision to have the updates performed? Are you doubting their ability to fix the problem?

jcthorne
05-26-2015, 05:11 PM
First, this is not a complaint. Just want to understand how things are to be handled.

1. It appears an entire new evap system is being installed. That's fine, but my old one that was spewing fumes at ME and dripping fuel on the ground is GONE. Bracket is still there. The dealer should have no trouble installing this right?

2. I also see the new evap system includes a new after filter in the vent line. Fine but it attaches to the bottom panel which is no longer installed on mine and many other 2013s to get rid of engine bay heat. How is this to be handled? It does appear the filter could be strapped to the radiator hose and be just as effective.

3. I no longer have the stock air box on the bike but an aftermarket unit to improve air flow through the engine bay. Looking at the instructions, this should not have any effect on the repairs, actually saving the dealer considerable time. Will BRP allow the dealer to proceed?

4. It appears the revision to the fuel system and the updated software converts this to a PCM controlled fuel pressure, eliminating the pressure regulator and the associated return of hot fuel to the tank. Is this intended to reduce fuel temperature in the tank?

There are a great many 2013s out there with these and other engine bay heat reduction aids installed. Can we be assured BRP's intent is to work with the individual cases to get the updates done anyway while working with what is already done?

arsquatch
05-26-2015, 05:13 PM
You know I just read on Yahoo Finance that NHTSA has closed the investigation on the 2013 RT. So I figure if they are confident in the fix, then I should be confident in the fix. I don't think NHTSA would close the investigation if they didn't feel this was going to do the trick. Just IMHO... I am sure they have been watching since the start.

loisk
05-26-2015, 05:36 PM
First, this is not a complaint. Just want to understand how things are to be handled.

1. It appears an entire new evap system is being installed. That's fine, but my old one that was spewing fumes at ME and dripping fuel on the ground is GONE. Bracket is still there. The dealer should have no trouble installing this right?

2. I also see the new evap system includes a new after filter in the vent line. Fine but it attaches to the bottom panel which is no longer installed on mine and many other 2013s to get rid of engine bay heat. How is this to be handled? It does appear the filter could be strapped to the radiator hose and be just as effective.

3. I no longer have the stock air box on the bike but an aftermarket unit to improve air flow through the engine bay. Looking at the instructions, this should not have any effect on the repairs, actually saving the dealer considerable time. Will BRP allow the dealer to proceed?

4. It appears the revision to the fuel system and the updated software converts this to a PCM controlled fuel pressure, eliminating the pressure regulator and the associated return of hot fuel to the tank. Is this intended to reduce fuel temperature in the tank?

There are a great many 2013s out there with these and other engine bay heat reduction aids installed. Can we be assured BRP's intent is to work with the individual cases to get the updates done anyway while working with what is already done?

--- VERY interesting information, thanks for this. I'll be watching this thread and wondering whether this evap system can assist my 13 ST - I suspect it may be VERY useful across the range. Look forward to more updates once the system has been seen.

ARtraveler
05-26-2015, 07:14 PM
You know I just read on Yahoo Finance that NHTSA has closed the investigation on the 2013 RT. So I figure if they are confident in the fix, then I should be confident in the fix. I don't think NHTSA would close the investigation if they didn't feel this was going to do the trick. Just IMHO... I am sure they have been watching since the start.

The closed investigation on Yahoo pertains to the gas cap exchange on 2012's and before.

R&L Limted
05-26-2015, 07:18 PM
Thank you Robmorg for the PDF file, #1 we bought a RT Limited because we wanted a quite crusier (removing acoustic panels = engin noise) #2 we bought adj. wind vents (chrome) for looks and live in TN.=a must for comfort.When they decided on this fix they did not take into account the loss of airflow to driver & passenger! #3 we wanted a dressed model not a sport trike with non painted air rams. #4 How is this going to change anything at slow speeds or stop and go, which the letter said to avoid until repaired. #5 plastic panels are molded for strength and now were going to cut a hole in it leaveing a raw edge, possible chips in clear coat which will lead to failure down the road. Just our thoughts & would like you ( BRP ) Steve to answer to these concerns.We love this trike and are very concerned that at the very least it will be marked as ( that model) or worse this does not fix and we have a chopped up Trike:pray:

MidTNDawg
05-26-2015, 07:25 PM
I am sure BRP published something on BOSSweb for all dealers to see.

Maybe BRP is willing to post this Tech Bulletin?

Bob

but if I were you, I would not bet the house on it.

taxmyzer
05-26-2015, 07:39 PM
It would've been nice if BRP at least made the panel a one piece replacement with the scoop built in for a more finished look and painted to match. For the price we all paid this surely isn't asking too much. What happens if the dealer does a poor job of install and an new panel has to ordered? Who will pick-up the cost for the new panel? How many attempts does the dealer get? In the end we all must risk the panel being cut and the tech getting it right the first time. Do we get an option to have it done over if we are not happy with the workmanship? After all its not being done by a body shop that has years of expertise installing these types of add-on's. I hope Steve can shed some light on these concerns.

WellsboroSpyder
05-26-2015, 08:24 PM
Thanks Steve. I showed my wife (who is a Girls on Spyders) what our blue rt will look like. She is now into tears and voicing her thoughts loudly. She says she nor I wanted something with the F3 top bug eyes. We chose the rt for the look and sound. How much louder is this going to be. we want to know what BRPCARE is offering for trade on these after the work is done. We just installed a trailer hitch and are now willing to give it all up and start new. Very dissapointed on something that could of been avoided had you stuck with the original plan of different engine on these units.

WellsboroSpyder
05-26-2015, 08:30 PM
There is something else that is on our mind. The new fuel milage. Are we going to have to carry a spare gas can when we travel sparsely populated areas like the everglades or out West.

Highwayman2013
05-26-2015, 08:42 PM
Not even fixed yet and...complaints. Can't you just get the fix and see what it's like? You might have a great bike soon.

oldguyinTX
05-26-2015, 08:51 PM
When I spoke with my contact at BRP this morning, he raised the issue of the 2013 frame being designed for the 1330 engine, to which I immediately said "which we would all like to have", and you could hear the crickets in the background. Obviously, no serious thought whatsoever was given to an engine swap out. When you think about it, that would be pretty much a buy back program, which would not make financial sense for BRP. I too am not thrilled about cutting panels and installing scoops that do not match the color of any individual bike, but at the same time I understand that BRP wanted to roll this out as quickly as possible. I have a source for Spyder colors, and I will be painting the scoops Pearl White to match my RT. Looks like the "fix" will do what we all want it to do, and we can all ride and not worry about riding a bomb. Thanks to BRP for getting this set up
to get parts to the dealers so quickly. I think that there are about 5,000 RT's out there, and the fact that parts and tools are ready to ship now seems to me that BRP is serious about dealing with the issues. Time will tell.

WellsboroSpyder
05-26-2015, 08:55 PM
Not even fixed yet and...complaints. Can't you just get the fix and see what it's like? You might have a great bike soon.

We enjoyed the looks of our machine . The side view of the fix is horrible. A great TRIKE is something you buy for appearance as well as reliability. Look at how many Harley drivers there are, it's not because of the reliability of the machine

Highwayman2013
05-26-2015, 09:13 PM
We enjoyed the looks of our machine . The side view of the fix is horrible. A great TRIKE is something you buy for appearance as well as reliability. Look at how many Harley drivers there are, it's not because of the reliability of the machine

Must be the looks, I can't tell what model they are they all look similar. Seriously a lot of people didn't like the looks of the F3 from pictures but guess what? A lot of those same people bought them when they saw them in person. I think if you don't like the look, don't get the fix.

WellsboroSpyder
05-26-2015, 09:53 PM
Must be the looks, I can't tell what model they are they all look similar. Seriously a lot of people didn't like the looks of the F3 from pictures but guess what? A lot of those same people bought them when they saw them in person. I think if you don't like the look, don't get the fix.
Some of my customers are lawyers so I know I have to get fix or give up all my rights toward this issue. So I wonder if u will mod your 2012 with this fix

finless
05-26-2015, 10:10 PM
So I wonder if u will mod your 2012 with this fix

If I can get the scoops I would do this to my 2011 RTS!

Bob

sduskin
05-26-2015, 10:31 PM
is good looking. Better if you already have chrome on your spyder. The Spyder I have has no chrome. 2014 metallic black RT-S with F4 windscreen engraved. The chrome you have on your limited is satin on mine. I am planning on plasti-coating them depending on which wrap I get.

On my HD Road King, I have enough chrome to look good and not enough to blind the looker.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108193&stc=1

sduskin
05-26-2015, 10:40 PM
Hi daviszoo1,

I traded in my wife's 2013 ST-S with this exact heat problem/issue 30 days after purchase on a 2014 RT-S. EXACT same symptoms, exact same effects on the rider. TOO MUCH HEAT. The 2013 ST has the same heat issues as the 2013 RT. I lost about $4000 U.S. on the trade-in.

Now, having said that... , wife is cooler, and not in danger of burns. BRP needs to take things like "I replaced my Spyder because of the heat issues" into account.

No, I am not asking to be re-imbursed the $4000 that I lost. It falls into buyer beware and lessons learned. However, BRP needs to be proactive and address the ST's also.

-Steve.
(not the BRP Steve!)

arsquatch
05-26-2015, 11:20 PM
The closed investigation on Yahoo pertains to the gas cap exchange on 2012's and before.

Accodring to the ODI website the investigation that was closed on May 22nd was opened Aug 2014 and referenced the two fires.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchResults;jsessionid=ltvQVfhTdjLqc2WCDPG2NKp7Q m1GXxdnhPCvgmMGGrHm3b2bRhT2!-390009784?prodType=V&searchType=PROD&targetCategory=A&searchCriteria.model=SPYDER+RT&stats=1888013%2C1%2C1%2C81%2C3%2CSPYDER+RT&makeStats=&jsonBaseURL=%2Fdownloads%2Ffolders%2F&searchCriteria.model_yr=2013&searchCriteria.make=CAN-AM&searchCriteria.prod_ids=1888013

ARtraveler
05-27-2015, 02:00 AM
[QUOTE=arsquatch;983001]Accodring to the ODI website the investigation that was closed on May 22nd was opened Aug 2014 and referenced the two fires.

Here is the article in full. Hope this will avoid some confusion for all. Both recalls are mentioned in the article.

QUOTE:
DETROIT (AP) — U.S. safety regulators have closed an investigation of fires in Can-Am Spyder three-wheeled motorcycles after the manufacturer agreed to a recall.

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration says Bombardier Recreational Products Inc. of Canada agreed to recall nearly 5,200 Spyder RT motorcycles from the 2013 model year. It also agreed to re-notify owners of motorcycles from 2008 through 2012 that were recalled in 2012 for problems that could cause fires.

Agency documents posted on the NHTSA website Tuesday say the recall fix was being developed and is expected sometime this month. It was unclear if the recall has started yet. Messages were left Tuesday seeking comment from Bombardier.
Investigators found 103 complaints and two fires during the investigation of more than 52,000 motorcycles. The agency says Bombardier agreed to address rider burns, fuel boiling due to inadequate heat management and excessive fuel vapor emissions.

The investigation began in August of 2014 after NHTSA received two reports of motorcycle fires. One Spyder was destroyed in July while being used by the Morgantown, West Virginia, Police Department. Another burned in the Mojave Desert region of California.
The 2012 recalls were to fix a fuel cap that may not fit onto the fuel filler neck of 33,700 motorcycles from 2008-2012, and for fuel vapors that could exit a vapor canister hose in the engine compartment in 9,600 motorcycles from 2008 through 2010.

cuznjohn
05-27-2015, 02:58 AM
here's an idea, if the scoops they are installing are black, and you don't like them, than b4 they are installed let the dealer give you the scoops and have them painted the cor bike, just a thought

WellsboroSpyder
05-27-2015, 04:58 AM
here's an idea, if the scoops they are installing are black, and you don't like them, than b4 they are installed let the dealer give you the scoops and have them painted the cor bike, just a thought

Why should anything be on my dollor. We bought a 2013 instead of getting a discount on the 2012 because BRP posted review after review about the revamped 2013, how much better a ride it is . They forgot to mention oh by the way our engines are not ready so we are going throw this in. We love to ride on the spyder just not the dishonesty. We will have something different to ride after the fix, I'm just trying to figure out what that will be. Would like it to be a 2014 or newer design. It's been an exhausting ordeal that I didn't buy into. And I'm not the only one as many took a big lose to trade up. I'm just glad the NHTSA stepped in so there won't hopefully be the fire of fear in the back of my mind. I'm now done venting the people who matter don't care.

Commander
05-27-2015, 05:50 AM
Steve,

First of all, Thank You for keeping everyone updated on this problem. Being an optimist I am looking forward to this being the fix.
With that being said, I still have a few questions.

1. it was mentioned that the Spyder would be, (if I read it right) a little louder? is that true? Personally I would think that would be a good thing. Although there is no substitute for safety a little louder would not hurt. Right now it seems like we are riding a Prius :roflblack: I think a little noise would be good:doorag:.

2. will this fix the heat problem for low speed riding. I plan on showing off my Spyder at a few parades and do not want be embarrassed by breaking down in front of the reviewing stand:roflblack: It would not be the first time but hopefully not with my :spyder2:

Thanks Again

daviszoo1
05-27-2015, 06:30 AM
Steve, Is there any compensation for us to trade our 2013 in on a new 2015 due to the excessive heat issues (mainly the right foot)? Please respond as we are in the negotiations as we speak. thank you

WellsboroSpyder
05-27-2015, 06:33 AM
Steve, Is there any compensation for us to trade our 2013 in on a new 2015 due to the excessive heat issues (mainly the right foot)? Please respond as we are in the negotiations as we speak. thank you

This is what we are wanting to know also

jcthorne
05-27-2015, 07:11 AM
There is something else that is on our mind. The new fuel milage. Are we going to have to carry a spare gas can when we travel sparsely populated areas like the everglades or out West.

Why would you think the fuel mileage would get worse? If they can stop the fuel vaporizing all that gas will go to the engine instead of the air. Could significantly IMPROVE fuel economy in the hot months.

tigerdr
05-27-2015, 07:18 AM
Scoop are black because it replace a black part....

Indyron
05-27-2015, 07:28 AM
Me too!

Gray Ghost
05-27-2015, 07:31 AM
Steve,
Will those Spyders that were part of the test last fall need any of the changes reversed before these modifications are made?

----UPDATE----

Received a reply from BRP stating that the Spyders modified last fall do not need any of the changes reversed. My concern was mainly on the holes drilled in the panel under the seat.

WellsboroSpyder
05-27-2015, 07:54 AM
Why would you think the fuel mileage would get worse? If they can stop the fuel vaporizing all that gas will go to the engine instead of the air. Could significantly IMPROVE fuel economy in the hot months.
I'm only a plumber not a mechanic but I believe to cool a hot running engine some times the fuel mixture is richened Thus using more fuel in the combustion process. Just a thought.

Bob Denman
05-27-2015, 07:58 AM
Not for nothing... But you haven't actually had the recall work done on your bike yet; have you? :dontknow:
So why are you yelling that, "The Sky Is Falling!"?
Give it a chance... then, you can complain! :thumbup:

DARRELL8755
05-27-2015, 08:04 AM
Well said bob. Lets give it a chance.............

jcthorne
05-27-2015, 08:06 AM
I agree on the give it a chance theme, but the engineer in me is screaming that things will not all magically be better. Sure hope to be proven wrong. Either way, it looks like a move in the right direction and will assuredly help, not hurt, so the next step is getting the work done.

Bob Denman
05-27-2015, 08:12 AM
I'm about as far from being an engineer as I can be; and still be breathing! :D
I haven't absorbed all of what will be done just yet; but my (VERY) initial run-through of the bulletin gives me at least SOME confidence in it!
(I'm still not 100% sure about the low-speed operation yet...:shocked:)
Time will tell...

cuznjohn
05-27-2015, 08:16 AM
some people said the reversing fan was in the fix, others said no. i quickly read the service bulletin and i didn't see anything about it. did anyone see it, because w/o it i feel you will still have bad heat on the right foot after the fix and in slow traffic. i sat this because of all the work i did on my 13 and i still felt it

R&L Limted
05-27-2015, 08:19 AM
Not for nothing... But you haven't actually had the recall work done on your bike yet; have you? :dontknow:
Bob , our concern is once the panels are hacked there is no return. Also we wanted a quiet Trike, and we feel that they need to deal with riders wind management for cooling in southeren states. Not only do we loose our vents but the air scoops will block air movement . ( Not a good thing in TN.:banghead:

robmorg
05-27-2015, 08:19 AM
Thanks!! :thumbup:
Okay gang; who has anything to report?

(Oh! I am also VERY happy that I was completely wrong on the date of this announcement!)...and I'm very happy that you did not accept my bet. Because I'd have been wronger. ;)

Bob Denman
05-27-2015, 08:30 AM
Bob , our concern is once the panels are hacked there is no return. Also we wanted a quiet Trike, and we feel that they need to deal with riders wind management for cooling in southeren states. Not only do we loose our vents but the air scoops will block air movement . ( Not a good thing in TN.:banghead:
Have you ever tried out one of these? :dontknow:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108196&stc=1
And by the way; they mounted the radiators for the liquid-cooled heads right up in front of the rider's feet in the fairing lowers...
Face it: you actually don't yet know what is going to happen. :shocked: Does it cost you anything, to go into this part of the exercise with a positive attitude about it?

finless
05-27-2015, 08:34 AM
some people said the reversing fan was in the fix, others said no. i quickly read the service bulletin and i didn't see anything about it. did anyone see it, because w/o it i feel you will still have bad heat on the right foot after the fix and in slow traffic. i sat this because of all the work i did on my 13 and i still felt it

It's not there. No reversing fan that I see in the documentation.

Bob

Dan McNally
05-27-2015, 08:40 AM
My simple opinion . . . the scoops being installed appear to be chrome and black . . . they sit directly below the mirror, which is chrome and black on the RT LTD, and chrome and color matched on the RT-S . . . and they they replace a black grill . . . so I don't see the angst over the color. If you have no chrome, 15 minutes and a can of black Plasti-Dip will resolve the chrome issue, quickly and easily. I suspect if you ask your dealer, nicely, many will paint the chrome for you . . . bring a can of black Plasti-Dip with you . . . make it easy for them!

To have made these in multiple colors, I have little doubt it would have delayed the roll out. It would have also ensured mix ups at dealers . . . imagine your anger if you had your appointment set, arrived at the dealer's, and discovered the wrong color scoop had been sent by BRP. Black and Chrome ensured a quicker rollout of the pieces and that every set of parts shipped will be the right set for every Spyder.

For those of you who are overcome with righteous indignation, go for a ryde and chill . . . or sell your Spyder. Why keep something that fills you with anger, indignation, and bile, every day? :dontknow:

Have I mentioned that, even with its flaws, I really love my Spyder? :ohyea:

tigerdr
05-27-2015, 08:43 AM
Have you ever tried out one of these? :dontknow:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108196&stc=1
And by the way; they mounted the radiators for the liquid-cooled heads right up in front of the rider's feet in the fairing lowers...
Face it: you actually don't yet know what is going to happen. :shocked: Does it cost you anything, to go into this part of the exercise with a positive attitude about it?

May be my next one. This H-D is the Tri-Glide. I like the new Freewheeler (next picture), less expensive by 10,000$ but still an H-D.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108197&stc=1

JKMSPYDER
05-27-2015, 08:47 AM
It's my understanding that someone posted last month that they had talked to someone at NHTSA about the fix and the response was: "it is comprehensive and effective." So everyone please give it a chance. It serves no purpose to do MMQB until the fix has been done. Remember, the fix for the '13 STs were the new panels and the ECM update. From the responses after the fix, the vast majority of ST owners were satisfied, me included.

BRPcare
05-27-2015, 08:54 AM
It was mentioned that the Spyder would be, (if I read it right) a little louder? is that true? Personally I would think that would be a good thing. Although there is no substitute for safety a little louder would not hurt. Right now it seems like we are riding a Prius :roflblack: I think a little noise would be good:doorag:.The noise level will not change significantly - it's entirely possible that a slight change might be perceived but still well within norms.

It appears an entire new evap system is being installed. That's fine, but my old one that was spewing fumes at ME and dripping fuel on the ground is GONE. Bracket is still there. The dealer should have no trouble installing this right?Your dealer should still be able to install the update.

I no longer have the stock air box on the bike but an aftermarket unit to improve air flow through the engine bay. Looking at the instructions, this should not have any effect on the repairs, actually saving the dealer considerable time. Will BRP allow the dealer to proceed?BRP generally recommends that vehicles be brought back to stock form before the update is performed, as it was tested under default conditions. Your dealer will discuss all the details with you before proceeding with the update.

There are a great many 2013s out there with these and other engine bay heat reduction aids installed. Can we be assured BRP's intent is to work with the individual cases to get the updates done anyway while working with what is already done?Yes, see above.

There is something else that is on our mind. The new fuel milage.No fuel consumption increase is to be expected.

jcthorne
I cannot tell from the pics posted if the trim on the new scoops is gloss black or chrome. Perhaps BRPCARES could clarify.

Chrome would make more sense on the 2013 with its chrome trim.

R&L Limted
Yes Bob we have before we bought Spyder, SORRY if I came across negative was not my intent , just voiceing some concerns.

R&L Limted
05-27-2015, 09:03 AM
Steve ( BRP ) Is there anything we can do to reinstate air flow to driver & passenger ? Thank you in advance.:pray:

Highwayman2013
05-27-2015, 09:08 AM
Some of my customers are lawyers so I know I have to get fix or give up all my rights toward this issue. So I wonder if u will mod your 2012 with this fix

I want to see them first, I may do this. Many of the people I ride with have 2013 RT's and I will get a good look at it.

BRPcare
05-27-2015, 09:08 AM
I cannot tell from the pics posted if the trim on the new scoops is gloss black or chrome. Perhaps BRPCARES could clarify.The new side body panels are black.

arsquatch
05-27-2015, 09:11 AM
According to the ODI website it appears to be the Investigation Subject: Motorcycle Fire. Again neither here nor there, but in reading the ODI website and looking up my VIN, I have to say again I don't believe ODI would close the investigation if they did not feel the solution would solve the problem and in reading the ODI Resume posted on their website with a closing date of 5/22/2015. It is a good read for all the 2013 owners out there, to me pretty comprehensive and explains background, ODI Activity, the two fires, their tests, and their conclusion and closure.

robmorg
05-27-2015, 09:14 AM
Hi daviszoo1,

Steve,

This is GREAT news, and should go a long way toward regaining customer satisfaction and loyalty. Please pass my thanks for this, in advance, to the powers that be, at BRP.

Highwayman2013
05-27-2015, 09:19 AM

I agree give it a chance!

jcthorne
05-27-2015, 09:32 AM
The noise level will not change significantly - it's entirely possible that a slight change might be perceived but still well within norms.

Your dealer should still be able to install the update.

BRP generally recommends that vehicles be brought back to stock form before the update is performed, as it was tested under default conditions. Your dealer will discuss all the details with you before proceeding with the update.

Yes, see above.

No fuel consumption increase is to be expected.

We have the bike scheduled for next week. Will ask for assistance if things do not go well. Will just have to see how this goes I suppose. Will report back.

Bob Denman
05-27-2015, 09:53 AM
Good Luck! :2thumbs:
(We have GOT to get some feedback, from folks with the affected bikes. :thumbup:)

robmorg
05-27-2015, 09:55 AM
It would've been nice if BRP at least made the panel a one piece replacement with the scoop built in for a more finished look and painted to match. For the price we all paid this surely isn't asking too much. What happens if the dealer does a poor job of install and an new panel has to ordered? Who will pick-up the cost for the new panel? How many attempts does the dealer get? In the end we all must risk the panel being cut and the tech getting it right the first time. Do we get an option to have it done over if we are not happy with the workmanship? After all its not being done by a body shop that has years of expertise installing these types of add-on's. I hope Steve can shed some light on these concerns.I can tell you that, in the past, when my dealer has "broken something" in the course of a repair, BRP has stood behind them and supplied necessary parts to make it right and the dealer has fixed it. I think that's a fairly standard procedure. I would guess that there is no reason to assume otherwise in this case.

ericauz
05-27-2015, 10:04 AM
The new side body panels are black.

The fix seems fairly comprehensive and I personally feel that it will help the heat issues, if done correctly. Being an ex aircraft mechanic, I worry about the quality control and inspection of the work. Is BRP doing anything to insure that the work being done is to the letter of the law, such as performing inspections etc... It seems that one mistake in routing of a hose or incorrectly torqueing a bolt can be detrimental. Reality is that not all dealers are created equal, hopefully no corners are cut, but I believe in "Trust, but Verify".

arsquatch
05-27-2015, 10:20 AM
You know owning a 2013 RT, I actually like the scoops, I actually like that they are black. I personally believe the front of the bike has always been lacking a more aggressive stance, hopefully this adds to it. I have encountered the boiling gas, I have encountered the fumes, I have encountered the heat, I am hoping after next week, I no longer encounter any of these??? From reading all the documentation I just hope and pray that all of the fixes resolves all these issues and honestly, I cannot wait to get it done so we can all get back to more important issues like routes to ride... It is a shame that it seems that some of you might not have the faith in your dealer like I do. The guys at the dealer since the day I bought mine both in service and sales have treated me like I own the place and I am truly grateful to those guys. I know the service manager and I have conversed numerous times in the years since I purchased the bike. They are a 3 hour plus drive for me to visit, but I continue to take my machine to them because we have a good relationship and honestly they have always stood right behind it and seem to know what is going on...

robmorg
05-27-2015, 10:31 AM
Not even fixed yet and...complaints. Can't you just get the fix and see what it's like? You might have a great bike soon.[This is NOT specifically addressed to Highwayman]

Folks have different issues and different concerns, depending on their own situations. Everyone's case is a little different. Now that the details are out, there are going to be those who are disappointed over this or that. And they will need to vent and express their concerns. And some concerns will be very valid points. I have some concerns, myself, as well as some disappointments after reading the details on the fix - doesn't mean I don't appreciate what BRP has done. BRP understands this, I'm sure. (Which is obviously one reason that they did not want to leak specifics until the fix was in the dealer's hands.)

My [admittedly unsolicited] advice to all would be to let folks comment, complain, ask questions, and vent as they need to, and try not to call them on it. The transition should go a lot more smoothly that way - at least here on the forum. :thumbup:

(My 2 cents)

Bob Denman
05-27-2015, 10:31 AM
:clap: Thank you. :thumbup:

ericauz
05-27-2015, 11:04 AM
[This is NOT specifically addressed to Highwayman]

Folks have different issues and different concerns, depending on their own situations. Everyone's case is a little different. Now that the details are out, there are going to be those who are disappointed over this or that. And they will need to vent and express their concerns. And some concerns will be very valid points. I have some concerns, myself, as well as some disappointments after reading the details on the fix - doesn't mean I don't appreciate what BRP has done. BRP understands this, I'm sure. (Which is obviously one reason that they did not want to leak specifics until the fix was in the dealer's hands.)

My [admittedly unsolicited] advice to all would be to let folks comment, complain, ask questions, and vent as they need to, and try not to call them on it. The transition should go a lot more smoothly that way - at least here on the forum. :thumbup:

(My 2 cents)

I actually feel the fix will help and applaud BRP, but being in the business I am in, I can't help but to be concerned about the way BRP handled dissemination of the information. I have received recall notices from Ford, Toyota, Nissan etc.. and never once have I had the dealer say as some have posted "that they new nothing of the fix". I believe BRP stated that the fix was released to the dealers the same time it was released to the public. This is not being proactive. If I was a dealer I would be upset that I had customers come in for repairs due to a safety recall and I was not fully informed beforehand.

Highwayman2013
05-27-2015, 11:15 AM

(My 2 cents)
I agree, I am not in their boat as I have a 2012. Lets just wait and see how things work out, like I said earlier those with 2013 RT's may come out with a great bike.

Lady Lamonster
05-27-2015, 11:48 AM
I purchased a 2013 from a dealer in North Jersey and wonder how long it will be before the dealer has the parts and can release it to me. Not looking forward to a summer without riding!! Sold my 2 wheeler in anticipation of having this resolved.....

I also have the 2013 RT and have been riding it in triple digit temps in Texas plus it's a black bike - black currant. Yes, it gets a little warm but you can ride it. Hope your dealer gets the parts quickly but enjoy your riding season!

R&L Limted
05-27-2015, 11:58 AM

(My 2 cents)
Thank you for this Robmorg, some folks comments sound as if we should not have concerns or thoughts. Some of these don't even own a 2013 . Do hope all will work out in the end . we love our RT Limited !:bowdown:

Pirate looks at --
05-27-2015, 12:14 PM
Spoke with my dealer and they have the parts ordered and they are on the way. Should be ready by this weekend! Thanks BRP for working hard on a resolution to some peoples concerns. We have been fortunate that our heat issues are not as bad as some (or we are more tolerant) and I see nothing wrong with the design of the new panels. So we are looking forward to the fix. BTW our dealer said that they were made aware of the fix yesterday, and quite frankly they were aware of it before I was. So if your dealer doesn't know anything yet....maybe it's time for a new dealer!

Thanks BRP!

hapyisme
05-27-2015, 01:11 PM
My dealer cannot schedule me in until they get notice from BRP it is Wild West in Katy 281/392-8940 so if anyone from BRP reads this please call them.

Dan is aware, he has order parts as of yesterday.(Tuesday) He will do the two he has in the show case first so he knows how to do them before he starts working on customers. Hang in there, it is being handled just will take a bit of time.

hapyisme
05-27-2015, 01:14 PM
Well with the announcement just being released this morning, any conversations held prior have no bearing at this point. We have a call in to Mancuso on scheduling Louise bike in. No info so far, they are checking on it ..... I won't hold my breath. Will post back if we get things moving.

Is the actual notice and the recall instructions available anywhere for full details? Just interested on where this is going. We plan to get the work done regardless and see how things turn out. Just want to know what Mancuso will be doing with the bike. I will need to thoroughly recheck everything on return. My history with them is not favorable.

Maccuso SUCKS, I have had nothing but problems after problems with that company!!! Good luck

Bob Denman
05-27-2015, 01:16 PM
Thanks for that update... :thumbup:
"Patience Is the one virtue, that none of us can wait to acquire." :shocked:

robmorg
05-27-2015, 01:43 PM
Steve,

First, thanks for keeping us owners updated in such a timely manner. No matter what individual concerns we have, we all appreciate that.

But here's my question.... As you know, the heat issue with the 2013 RT's has effected owners in two ways. First, there is the the more serious issue of the overheating fuel and all of the negative consequences of that issue. And secondly there is the issue of rider discomfort. Both were addressed in the remarks from the NHSTA. After reading the Warranty Bulletin in detail, I have to agree that it looks like the first issue has hopefully been successfully addressed. Also the new design of the air scoops and the removal of the acoustic panels may indeed help some with the heat coming up around the seat, which has been burning riders legs. We'll know that soon enough.

But could you please address the right foot heat issue that is so prominent on the 2013 RT's (as you can tell from other posts in this thread)? There doesn't seem to be anything in the current campaign to address this issue. I was pretty sure that the campaign would include reversing fans and/or re-positioning of the radiators, like on the newer models, but it seems that consideration was rejected. Can you tell us a little about why that might be, and if you expect further consideration of this issue from BRP?

Thanks. Awaiting your reply.

ekfraz
05-27-2015, 02:03 PM
My dealership is waiting for the tools and parts, should be the 1st of the week.

MouthPiece
05-27-2015, 02:19 PM
I also have the 2013 RT and have been riding it in triple digit temps in Texas plus it's a black bike - black currant. Yes, it gets a little warm but you can ride it. Hope your dealer gets the parts quickly but enjoy your riding season!

I'm with you Lady Lamonster <smiles>. It gets purdy hot here in Flarda and admittedly my 2013 RT-S spyder with 23,000 miles gets warm too. However, it is not unbearable even in the hot Flarda temps that we get as well. I don't see anything solving the hot right foot problem when it is just behind (or in front if you will) of the bottom right "torch" hole. (save putting a block there). Now that there will be ventillation going into the cavity of the spyder I will put a block on that hole.

​Chris

cuznjohn
05-27-2015, 02:34 PM
if i understand the bulletin right??? they are going to remove some plastic components behind the motor so heat can escape, right. now if this is part of the fix, than riding along the heat will be pushed out. but what about slow speeds and stop and go traffic with a second rider on the bike. will the heat rise up and bother the passenger as they sit on the back seat and their feet on the rear pegs.

please let me know i i understood this right and if you think the heat will bother the passenger. thanks

wis2013rtltd
05-27-2015, 02:59 PM
foot as much as some others I guess.

My chief complaint was the fumes and dripping gas in the garage after a ride, in addition the visible gas boiling when filling the tank.

My guess is the recall is primarily focused on the resolution of those issues and in addition the dissipation of heat near the seating area etc.

Just a guess, but I do not think the recall is focused on the hot right foot, and in fact I will be surprised if the recall does much for that issue...

I am optimistic that the addition of the scoops and fuel remapping etc, will take care of the safety intentions regarding this, but less optimistic that it will alleviate the hot foot. I am sure the testing provided a result on the hot right foot, but I don't think anyone will share the results, we will have to wait and watch the feedback here.

In summary, this is a safety recall, not a rider comfort recall....

Time will tell, but something tells me they will opine on the hot right foot with the " Ride with proper attire" answer.

ThreeWheels
05-27-2015, 03:15 PM
How will the adjustable side wind deflectors be disposed of?
I'm hoping that a lot of them show up on the used market.
Please let me know if a pair become available. Plain. Not chrome.
Thanks!

finless
05-27-2015, 03:18 PM
All of the RT's have the hot right foot issue! Well known as the dragon's mouth.

Even before the 2013, many complained of that issue and some did things to help it, e.g. block off plates, etc.
Search back in time and you will see this is not a new issue.

Once the 2013 temps are down due to the fixes, the amount of time the fan goes on to blow heat off the radiator will probably now be the same as all other RTs! Thus I doubt BRP ever planned to fix that issue since all have it and they consider that normal for a motorcycle.

The good news I think, is now the heat on the right foot will be on par with all other RTs rather than hotter as it has been.

FYI, the 2010-2012's also have the canister stink issue. I have had it a few times now on hot days. I wish the new canister system would roll out to pre-2013 models to fix that as well. The hot foot I can live with as I have added a block off plate so I can use my NVB pegs. Without that plate it will melt your shoes when using the NVB pegs.

Bob

jwulf74
05-27-2015, 03:34 PM
I agree with Finless. I hope they come out with something for the pre-13's. I have tried a few different things on our 2 2011 RT's and they both have the gas smell when parked (and sometimes while riding) and both drip gas when we park right after riding. Not just a little bit either. I used a bottle to catch the drips in it is not an insignificant amount.

Our cat's will have to go to reduce the heat transfer to the gas tank and at the very least I want to do the new evap system to see if that helps, assuming we will be able to buy the parts after the recall is substantially done...

MouthPiece
05-27-2015, 03:57 PM
All of the RT's have the hot right foot issue! Well known as the dragon's mouth.

Even before the 2013, many complained of that issue and some did things to help it, e.g. block off plates, etc.
Search back in time and you will see this is not a new issue.

Once the 2013 temps are down due to the fixes, the amount of time the fan goes on to blow heat off the radiator will probably now be the same as all other RTs! Thus I doubt BRP ever planned to fix that issue since all have it and they consider that normal for a motorcycle.

The good news I think, is now the heat on the right foot will be on par with all other RTs rather than hotter as it has been.

FYI, the 2010-2012's also have the canister stink issue. I have had it a few times now on hot days. I wish the new canister system would roll out to pre-2013 models to fix that as well. The hot foot I can live with as I have added a block off plate so I can use my NVB pegs. Without that plate it will melt your shoes when using the NVB pegs.

Bob

I agree Bob. Although all the 2010-2012's all had the heat issue, it wasn't until 2013 when BRP came out with the floorboard on the RT-S and Ltd. Consequently, a rider's foot position changed. Prior to "13" the foot rested on a peg which was above the bottom right torch hole. However, with the "13" and floorboards the foot position was directly behind this torch hole. I'm simply saying that although the heat may have been the same, it was more noticeable with the "13".

​Chris

Bob Denman
05-27-2015, 04:53 PM
All of the RT's have the hot right foot issue!
Bob

:lecturef_smilie: NOPE! My 2010 never gave me a single instance of heat -related stinks or burns... :thumbup:

...And I'm certainly not lucky enough, to get the only one without problems! :D

For the record: I DID try to get it to cook me. On a day with the temperatures just under a hundred degrees, I took off in just a helmet and a pair of shorts... (I had to test it!)
It got warm in some stop and go traffic; not hot.

cuznjohn
05-27-2015, 05:05 PM
when i had my 13 rt i would go for a ride and actually pull over and get off the bike to let it cool down. i would sweat and burn so much that people would pull over thinking i was selling fresh ham i was sweating so much

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-27-2015, 06:08 PM
if i understand the bulletin right??? they are going to remove some plastic components behind the motor so heat can escape, right. now if this is part of the fix, than riding along the heat will be pushed out. but what about slow speeds and stop and go traffic with a second rider on the bike. will the heat rise up and bother the passenger as they sit on the back seat and their feet on the rear pegs.

please let me know i i understood this right and if you think the heat will bother the passenger. thanks
That is one of the concerns expressed in the discussions here, what about slow speed heat release.

rayeade
05-27-2015, 06:17 PM
I wish all of you the best in getting this problem fixed. I decided to get rid of my 2013 RT Limited and that fixed my heat problem. If I see you on the road I will wave at you. Good luck.

ARtraveler
05-27-2015, 06:20 PM
I have been sitting out since I do not have a 2013 involved in the recall.

RE: All RT's give a hot foot. None of the three I have owned have heat issues for either rider or passenger. 2010 RTS, 2011 A&C, and 2014 RT-S.

tigerdr
05-27-2015, 07:03 PM
:lecturef_smilie: NOPE! My 2010 never gave me a single instance of heat -related stinks or burns... :thumbup:

...And I'm certainly not lucky enough, to get the only one without problems! :D

For the record: I DID try to get it to cook me. On a day with the temperatures just under a hundred degrees, I took off in just a helmet and a pair of shorts... (I had to test it!)
It got warm in some stop and go traffic; not hot.

Same with my 2010 RTS. No heat issue or gas smell.

finless
05-27-2015, 07:07 PM
I have been sitting out since I do not have a 2013 involved in the recall.

RE: All RT's give a hot foot. None of the three I have owned have heat issues for either rider or passenger. 2010 RTS, 2011 A&C, and 2014 RT-S.

I will just add the "hot right foot" issue even before 2013's is a perception based on the rider! Again I will tell you to please look back in history here!
Jerbear has a 2010 and could not stand the right hot foot issue! Other had no issue with it. I HAVE NO ISSUE WITH IT! Everyone is going to be different as to how much that heat from the "dragons mouth" bothers them!

You cannot expect a radiator to release heat out that right side hole without "someone" finding discomfort with that. BUT the discomfort is user dependent! Some had or have no issue, some find it a problem.

Bottom line is BRP is NOT going to solve that! It's an expectation that anyone with a Spyder needs to know. I mean come on... the radiator is right there! How can you expect not to feel some heat from it? Unfortunately some expect never to feel anything.... Alas you are sitting on a engine and it is a motorcycle!

Anyway I think my point got lost in translation.... 2013 or otherwise there is going to be heat coming out the right side air vent PERIOD....

Bob

oldguyinTX
05-27-2015, 07:27 PM
Did anyone else notice this? Seems to be a pretty blanket statement by BRP. Might give them a way out. Might apply to a CAT delete, Canisterectomy, belt tensioner, and who knows what else.

I no longer have the stock air box on the bike but an aftermarket unit to improve air flow through the engine bay. Looking at the instructions, this should not have any effect on the repairs, actually saving the dealer considerable time. Will BRP allow the dealer to proceed?

BRP generally recommends that vehicles be brought back to stock form before the update is performed, as it was tested under default conditions. Your dealer will discuss all the details with you before proceeding with the update.

jetmech
05-27-2015, 08:03 PM
Bob is correct, I have owned many motorcycles and at slow speed or stop and go traffic the ones I have owned got pretty darn warm under the seat. I had a 2003 Harley that burned my inner thigh pretty bad while I was in traffic at Sturgis. My 2011 Honda ST1300 would cook you above 80 degrees even going down the highway, and in town was also pretty bad. Harley finally put on heat deflectors and turned off fuel to the rear cylinder on newer touring bikes when at stop lights to reduce the heat issue. If you ride in shorts and flip flops your going to get to toastie on most motorcycles. I have done many mods to my wife's 2013 RTs; mostly from suggestions I have seen on this forum. I rode her Spyder 100 miles when it was 90 degrees and no heat issues under the seat or my thighs after doing all these mods. I think the mods that BRP came up with definitely help even more. As far as slow speed or stop and go traffic it may not help that much. I believe a fan to pull air out of the engine compartment in very slow traffic would help much more. This fan could be manually operated with a switch. Also a different routing of the front header would surely be of benefit. If someone could come up with those mods it would be marketable. Not sure it is possible to re-route the front header but it could be looked at. Every motorcycle I have owned in the last 15 years have some issue, so the Can Am is no different. That being said; I enjoy this forum and there are many interesting comments on it.

regards,
Jetmech

I will just add the "hot right foot" issue even before 2013's is a perception based on the rider! Again I will tell you to please look back in history here!
Jerbear has a 2010 and could not stand the right hot foot issue! Other had no issue with it. I HAVE NO ISSUE WITH IT! Everyone is going to be different as to how much that heat from the "dragons mouth" bothers them!

You cannot expect a radiator to release heat out that right side hole without "someone" finding discomfort with that. BUT the discomfort is user dependent! Some had or have no issue, some find it a problem.

Bottom line is BRP is NOT going to solve that! It's an expectation that anyone with a Spyder needs to know. I mean come on... the radiator is right there! How can you expect not to feel some heat from it? Unfortunately some expect never to feel anything.... Alas you are sitting on a engine and it is a motorcycle!

Anyway I think my point got lost in translation.... 2013 or otherwise there is going to be heat coming out the right side air vent PERIOD....

Bob

cuznjohn
05-27-2015, 08:14 PM

Bob

bob you are right, my 13 roasted my feet, but the new owner doesn't seem to mind the heat much. my feet are bad from being a diabetic. they hurt me just sitting down, and if i go for a long ride they hurt from any vibrations i get through the floor boards.
now my 14 rt is night and day compared to the 13 rt. i removed the cat on the 14 and even wrapped the bypass pipe. but believe it or not i still feel heat on my feet, but nothing like the 13 did to me. so everyone is different and i am sure there will still be people that are not happy, either with the looks of the scoop, or the mileage after the re map, or the hot foot. i feel i did the right thing for me selling the bike and i am very glad the new owner loves the bike

oldgoat
05-27-2015, 09:01 PM
I believe a fan to pull air out of the engine compartment in very slow traffic would help much more. This fan could be manually operated with a switch.

regards,
Jetmech

I have installed 2 small fans on the rhs of my '08 Gs inside the panels. They blow the hot air down & out of the bottom of the bike & are controlled with a manual switch & a red LED to remind me they are on.

I also fitted 2 scoops on the upper panel that covers where the gas tank would be on a motorcycle, forward & one on each side. They are clamshell marine ventilation scoops.

It all works nicely & keeps the hot air from the dragon's mouth off my right leg. (also have Spyderpops fix in that area as well).

I turn the fans on in slow hot traffic & when stopped at red lights on hot days.

jcthorne
05-27-2015, 09:11 PM
Maccuso SUCKS, I have had nothing but problems after problems with that company!!! Good luck

I have had problems in the past as well. SW location is the worst for Spyders. Mancuso owns all the BRP dealerships in Houston. There is also one in Katy and one in Conroe that do not get any better reviews. For this work, and if it goes well my first service on the F3 are going to Mancuso North were several others have had some recent good visits with Spyders. There really are no good options here unless you travel some distance out of town.

Commander
05-28-2015, 06:01 AM
To me it looks like BRP is trying to get this problem resolved. My only concern now is the low speed riding. With that being said I am sure with all of the ingenious Spyder Lovers Vendors we have they can come up with something to fix almost any problem.
I have noticed that some people here not only have one, but multiple Spyders, a Slingshot, multiple
other bikes and a jet or two in the lower 40:roflblack::roflblack:. Even though I envy them that is not my situation My other concern is the trade in value of the 13 will it increase or decrease after all of these mods?

inmate1905
05-28-2015, 06:49 AM
I called CFPS YESTERDAY, they do not have the parts yet. They said to call next week to check. Not sure if anyone else has the parts in the area. [emoji91]

bcoulter19
05-28-2015, 06:54 AM
I called My dealer yesterday about getting the parts for the recall and they said once they get the special tool needed, they will call me about ordering parts. This is the part that ticked me off, they have to have my spyder in their shop before they will order the parts for the recall. They say they have order parts for recalls before and they customers didn't come in to have them put on and they had to ship them back. So their policy now is that the bike has to be in shop before they will order parts for a recall.

Bill C.

Bob Denman
05-28-2015, 06:54 AM
I will just add the "hot right foot" issue even before 2013's is a perception based on the rider! It's an expectation that anyone with a Spyder needs to know. I mean come on... the radiator is right there! How can you expect not to feel some heat from it? Unfortunately some expect never to feel anything.... Alas you are sitting on a engine and it is a motorcycle!
Bob
:agree: This is a VERY accurate statement. :thumbup:
It's a Motorcycle; not a Car! :shocked:

But for the record...
At speed; I stuck my hand down into the airflow from the outlet... It was being pushed outside and above the positioning of my foot on the peg... There was NO direct flow of heated air hitting my foot. :dontknow:
Are folks adding highway pegs, that do put their foot up in the heated air?

WellsboroSpyder
05-28-2015, 07:04 AM
I'm with you commando. we sold our 4 wheelers and camper to get out of the payment to buy the spyder. Now with the heat issues I have been offered very little trade in from dealer. We just want a machine we are proud to show off. It won't be one with the new snorkels on it

jcthorne
05-28-2015, 07:05 AM
I called My dealer yesterday about getting the parts for the recall and they said once they get the special tool needed, they will call me about ordering parts. This is the part that ticked me off, they have to have my spyder in their shop before they will order the parts for the recall. They say they have order parts for recalls before and they customers didn't come in to have them put on and they had to ship them back. So their policy now is that the bike has to be in shop before they will order parts for a recall.

Bill C.

Get with BRP customer care. They can help. If for some reason they will not, report the dealer to the NHTSA for refusal to perform the recall. They get one call from the DOT lawyers, your dealer will sing a different tune. Been there and done that. NHTSA is more helpful than you might imagine and the dealers will not argue with them.

The do NOT need to hold your bike hostage while awaiting the parts. All they need is your vin number and name.

finless
05-28-2015, 08:29 AM
Several people local to me have called their dealer and the dealer looked it up and ordered the parts and the tool needed. They did not have to bring their Spyder in. If a dealer is telling you otherwise argue with them as the letter that was posted here does not say that.
In fact you should print it and show them it if they won't budge. We also had a few locals call different dealers and get that answer "We have not got the parts yet". I have told them, per the letter, if the dealer is waiting for parts to automatically show up, you will be waiting a long time! They called their dealer back and told them this and the dealer then did the right thing and ordered the kits and tool.

Bob

Bob Denman
05-28-2015, 08:36 AM
That's an effective way to handle the Dealer's "Two-Step Shuffle"... :thumbup:

dsvogel
05-28-2015, 08:43 AM
I rode my 2013 RTS a lot in Illinois and never noticed it getting excessively hot on long rides. I thought I might have gotten lucky with my '13. Then I moved to Georgia last fall, and didn't have a problem until just recently. The last two rides, when I filled my tank after the engine is hot (and the air temps in the 80s + humidity), the gas starts boiling and leaking down the left side of the bike within minutes of me riding again. And I'm sure I put the gas cap on with 3 clicks. I have to pull over and let it cool down, and sometimes re-tighten the gas cap. I also got burns on the inside of my thighs for the first time EVER riding this thing on Saturday in the north Georgia mountains. Ugh!:gaah:

So, the point of this post is... I called Josh at the Marietta GA shop yesterday morning and then took my Spyder there yesterday afternoon, so they could order the parts and the tool. He said it would probably take a few days before the parts even come in. They are the Mountain Motorsports closest to me, so if anyone is wanting to get in line, they'll have at least practiced on mine. Not sure about any of the other MMS shops in the area.

bcoulter19
05-28-2015, 08:46 AM
Well, I originally had to tell the dealer to go check BossWeb that the recall fix had come out tuesday and they didn't believe me. they put me on hold went and checked and were a whole nicer when they came back on the phone with the we don't have the tool and you have to bring the spyder in before we order the parts carp.

Bill C.

Bob Denman
05-28-2015, 08:54 AM
Try what Finless has suggested... :thumbup:

finless
05-28-2015, 09:03 AM
Seems some dealers SOP is they will not order parts until they take your Spyder apart and see what is needed.

I had this happen with my set screw issue. Even though I showed them the service bulletin, showed them pictures, etc. They simply would not order the parts till they had my Spyder apart!!!! :gaah:

Kind of ticked me off and in fact caused my Spyder to SIT at the dealer for 9 days vs 3 had they ordered up front!!!!

But for this recall, they should not try to use SOP (Standard Operating Procedure) and order the kits up front!
This is what BRP said to do.

Bob

condorflysu
05-28-2015, 09:11 AM
1.5 hours after BRP announcement on Spyderlover I was at my Brampton dealer speaking the service manager updating them of the news release.

I showed them the printout .. the service manager took the time to stop, smile and help me immediately ...described the recall and ordered the parts. The machine was not required to order parts, the process went smoothly.

I think the time assigned for the repairs by BRP is not in the favour of the dealers.

For the first year I did not trust my dealer, they were new to Spyders when I purchased my 2013 rt-s.
When I could not get this gas fuming problem solved I thought it was them.

I'd drive the machine to them once a weeks for weeks on end wiping out there service department with gas fumes when I rolled up to the back doors.

I've come to trust the service department at my dealer...not BRP.... BRP ties these peoples hand behind there backs too.

The parts were ordered 2 hours after the notice .... OK BRP.....I'll give you this one LAST CHANCE to resolve what you knew was always wrong..... not the way and where and when I drive the Spyder...

Yes... I still am pissed on how BRP was so eager to blame me (us), overfilling, driving in too hot weather, gears... on and on. Saying you drive in slow traffic... no kidding Sherlock...... it's called rush hours drive home.

I live in the province next door to where the parts come from... Friday you think... start the repairs work next week.
My stop watch just went click :)

Yes!!!!

I'm still sceptical ....Bob...;)

Bob Denman
05-28-2015, 09:21 AM
I'm hoping that everything goes smoothly for you! :thumbup:

bcoulter19
05-28-2015, 09:47 AM
Thats the bad part until this I have had high praise for my dealer. They have always done everything on time and in an orderly fashion. They were there to answer questions about any service or farkles I had installed or done, Always gave me a good deal on ordering parts(usually cheaper than I could get anywhere else.). I have spent a lot of money with them and been a satified customer and this just feels like I'm being treated like a 2nd class citizen that they don't know.

Bill C.

Magdave
05-28-2015, 10:31 AM
Hi arsquatch,

Regarding the body panel portion of the campaign, you can expect to see something like this:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108131&stc=1
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108132&stc=1
Ok is BRP
going to refund the money I spent on the adjustable reflectors I bought?

Bob Denman
05-28-2015, 10:40 AM
I believe that issue has been discussed. :thumbup:
Unfortunately; I don't remember what the answer was! :banghead:

"The memory is the second thing to go; I forgot what the first one was!" :shocked:

jcthorne
05-28-2015, 10:47 AM
Ok is BRP

BRPCares stated to take your receipt with you to the dealer when the recall was done and have them submit it for credit. This applied to other engine bay heat reduction work that was already done as well.

condorflysu
05-28-2015, 10:50 AM
I'm hoping that everything goes smoothly for you! :thumbup:

Interesting ... not 15 minutes after my post here and less than 24 hours later after dropping by the dealer
I got a follow up call from BRP.....just a few minutes ago... I was out.. but.....I bet they are watching everything closer than you think..lol

Just saying.....

MouthPiece
05-28-2015, 10:52 AM
I called CFPS YESTERDAY, they do not have the parts yet. They said to call next week to check. Not sure if anyone else has the parts in the area. [emoji91]

I'm not sure that it is an "en mass" order. I think (could be wrong) that it is when the customer comes in and wants to take advantage of the recall that the parts are ordered. They come out of Georgia. My dealership, Seminole Power Sports in Sanford, will have mine this coming week. (June 3rd).

Hope this helps.

Chris

MouthPiece
05-28-2015, 10:53 AM
Several people local to me have called their dealer and the dealer looked it up and ordered the parts and the tool needed. They did not have to bring their Spyder in. If a dealer is telling you otherwise argue with them as the letter that was posted here does not say that.
In fact you should print it and show them it if they won't budge. We also had a few locals call different dealers and get that answer "We have not got the parts yet". I have told them, per the letter, if the dealer is waiting for parts to automatically show up, you will be waiting a long time! They called their dealer back and told them this and the dealer then did the right thing and ordered the kits and tool.

Bob

Agreed.

Chris

wyliec
05-28-2015, 10:53 AM
Ok is BRP

Post #34 here:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?81441-2013-RT-Elevated-Temperature-in-Engine-Compartment-Safety-Campaign/page2

Bob Denman
05-28-2015, 11:00 AM
:shocked: My Memory thanks you... :bowdown:

jcthorne
05-28-2015, 11:01 AM
Interesting ... not 15 minutes after my post here and less than 24 hours later after dropping by the dealer
I got a follow up call from BRP.....just a few minutes ago... I was out.. but.....I bet they are watching everything closer than you think..lol

Just saying.....

I think you are right. BRP has a lot riding on this actually working.

cuznjohn
05-28-2015, 11:09 AM
i really hope it works for all the 13 rt owners, but after all the work i did with scoops, upper and lower, and cutting out the back plastic by your feet so the heat from the radiator can go into the engine bay, i still felt the heat on my right foot. good luck people

jcthorne
05-28-2015, 11:16 AM
On our RTs we completely fixed the right foot heat problem by directing ALL radiator exhaust down at the road rather than back toward my foot. Used a 2014 right grille and plastic cloth to cover the back side of the upper grille. Opened the duct work to blow the air down. Lower panels were removed a long time ago.

It will be interesting to see how this is dealt with as part of the recall.....

R&L Limted
05-28-2015, 02:01 PM
Did I understand BRP , that the trikes will be brough back to stock , then do the recall? does this mean cat- delete pipe wraps etc, work will be returned to stock?:dontknow:

cuznjohn
05-28-2015, 02:09 PM
Did I understand BRP , that the trikes will be brough back to stock , then do the recall? does this mean cat- delete pipe wraps etc, work will be returned to stock?:dontknow:

i didn't see brp say that, but the fix is most likely done for a stock bike with no changes

jcthorne
05-28-2015, 02:14 PM

BRPCares was intentionally vague on the subject. I will relate what actually happens next week when Louise RT goes in for the recall. It has most everything you mention already done. Looking at the instructions to the dealer service tech, my guess is that most of what has already been done will not effect the items in the recall and in fact make it easier to perform, saving the dealer hours.

jetmech
05-28-2015, 02:16 PM
I have cat cat bypass and thermal wrapped headers, I do not plan to let my dealer remove the wrap or re-install the cat converter. These two mods have helped allot with the heat issue under and around seat and glove box. My only concern is the re-map of the fuel system impacting these mods.

My my dealer has the recall kit order order. Hope to get the recall mods done next week.

Bob Denman
05-28-2015, 02:18 PM
The Best of Luck to you; please let us know how (If at all), the modifications that you made; end up affecting the process. :thumbup:

jetmech
05-28-2015, 02:29 PM
Will be be sure to post the results, thanks

The Best of Luck to you; please let us know how (If at all), the modifications that you made; end up affecting the process. :thumbup:

robmorg
05-28-2015, 03:44 PM
I have cat cat bypass and thermal wrapped headers, I do not plan to let my dealer remove the wrap or re-install the cat converter. These two mods have helped allot with the heat issue under and around seat and glove box. My only concern is the re-map of the fuel system impacting these mods.

My my dealer has the recall kit order order. Hope to get the recall mods done next week.I have done both of these mods as well. You should NOT have to re-install them. I agree that both of these mods together have mad a huge difference in the amount of heat coming up around the seat, as well as the heat on the fuel tank. Whatever ECM changes are part of this campaign should be compatible with both of these changes. They have had no effect on the ECM thus far, as you know. To the best of my knowledge, the only exhaust sensors that the ECM monitors are the oxygen probes up at the front of the headers near cylinders. Since nothing in the exhaust system is monitored aft of that point the ECM should be oblivious to both wrapped headers and the cat bypass.

I think that those of us who have already wrapped the headers and removed the cat, should have the best of both worlds after the fix is done. The Spyder should exhibit even less heat than those without the mods, PLUS, as has been stated earlier in this thread, BRP may even reimburse us something, through a dealer credit, for the previous work.

jetmech
05-28-2015, 04:16 PM
I think think you are right, this recall mod should reduce the heat even farther. I am thinking about mounting a fan somewhere in the engine compartment that I can turn on manually to pull heat out at low speed or in stop and go traffic. Any thoughts on this and on where to mount the fan?

I have done both of these mods as well. You should NOT have to re-install them. I agree that both of these mods together have mad a huge difference in the amount of heat coming up around the seat, as well as the heat on the fuel tank. Whatever ECM changes are part of this campaign should be compatible with both of these changes. They have had no effect on the ECM thus far, as you know. To the best of my knowledge, the only exhaust sensors that the ECM monitors are the oxygen probes up at the front of the headers near cylinders. Since nothing in the exhaust system is monitored aft of that point the ECM should be oblivious to both wrapped headers and the cat bypass.

I think that those of us who have already wrapped the headers and removed the cat, should have the best of both worlds after the fix is done. The Spyder should exhibit even less heat than those without the mods, PLUS, as has been stated earlier in this thread, BRP may even reimburse us something, through a dealer credit, for the previous work.

robmorg
05-28-2015, 04:21 PM
Did I understand BRP , that the trikes will be brought back to stock , then do the recall? does this mean cat- delete pipe wraps etc, work will be returned to stock?:dontknow: What BRP implied earlier in this thread is that these kinds of issues will be handled on a case-by-case basis in coordination with the dealer performing the recall. I'm assuming that there will be no reason that the recall cannot be satisfactorily performed on a bike with wrapped headers and a cat bypass. OTOH, if the fuel system, or possibly the intake system, has been modified there may have to be some additional considerations needed in order to perform the work, depending on what was done. I'm guessing the dealer would likely discuss this with BRP.

There is no way that BRP can make a "blanket statement" that covers these issues because every case has the potential to be different. That is obviously why Steve said to work this out with the dealer doing the recall work.

Here is what Steve said, specifically...

i no longer have the stock air box on the bike but an aftermarket unit to improve air flow through the engine bay. Looking at the instructions, this should not have any effect on the repairs, actually saving the dealer considerable time. Will BRP allow the dealer to proceed?

There are a great many 2013s out there with these and other engine bay heat reduction aids installed. Can we be assured BRP's intent is to work with the individual cases to get the updates done anyway while working with what is already done?Yes, see above.

jetmech
05-28-2015, 04:51 PM
[
Rob,
i think you are right. The mods the recall include do not have anything to do with the Cat bypass or heat wrapped headers. Fuel system mods may be a little different. Not everyone is going to be happy regardless and that's their right to feel that way. For me, I am going to make my wife's Can Am as comfortable and as safe as I can. I have made mods to every motorcycle I have owned taking into consideration safety and reliability with all of them.

One thing I would suggest to dealers doing scoop mods is to smooth out the rough corners/ edges on the holes they are going to cut for the air scoops to help prevent potential cowling cracking.

Jetmech

QUOTE=robmorg;983945]What BRP implied earlier in this thread is that these kinds of issues will be handled on a case-by-case basis in coordination with the dealer performing the recall. I'm assuming that there will be no reason that the recall cannot be satisfactorily performed on a bike with wrapped headers and a cat bypass. OTOH, if the fuel system, or possibly the intake system, has been modified there may have to be some additional considerations needed in order to perform the work, depending on what was done. I'm guessing the dealer would likely discuss this with BRP.

There is no way that BRP can make a "blanket statement" that covers these issues because every case has the potential to be different. That is obviously why Steve said to work this out with the dealer doing the recall work.

Here is what Steve said, specifically...

Yes, see above.
[/QUOTE]

jaherbst
05-28-2015, 06:13 PM
Ok is BRP

Yes Dave, they are going to refund the reflector cost. May not be able to ride a lot in the rain now without drowning the engine compartment but it will run cooler in the rain.

Jack

jaherbst
05-28-2015, 06:15 PM
I believe that issue has been discussed. :thumbup:
Unfortunately; I don't remember what the answer was! :banghead:

"The memory is the second thing to go; I forgot what the first one was!" :shocked:

I will let the Miss's tell you that Bob!

Jack

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-28-2015, 07:21 PM
Yes Dave, they are going to refund the reflector cost.
From what Steve wrote don't plan on a cash refund. His wording made it sound like it most likely would be credit to be used for parts, service, whatever, at the dealer.

Dragonfly
05-28-2015, 07:34 PM
I have the 14K service coming up, maybe my Dealer can combine the Service with the Recall and save me a few bucks. My heat mediation was just short of $500.00. Would be a nice trade off.

ekfraz
05-28-2015, 10:00 PM
I will be getting the recall handled this next week and I sure hope that this works, I would like to take longer rides like I did on my 2008 GS, I feel that they have this all worked out,we will see for sure. I will post pictures also.

finless
05-29-2015, 12:36 AM
I would say this topic has gone down hill and I would not be surprised if Steve from BRP gave up even reading this anymore.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Sometimes I wonder what some people post is really in the best interests of us all when it comes to a thread like this where BRP is listening :mad:

Bob

KennW
05-29-2015, 12:59 AM
Sure am looking forward to hearing about owners views once they have the modifications done. Unfortunately I feel it will be a few weeks yet before my RT gets the updates done as I live in Australia. On the plus we are currently running into winter so although living in Queensland and winter days are usually in the low to mid 20°C the heat issues aren't such a big deal as in summer. Am just hoping that owners give this modifying from BRP a fair trial and subjective review don't just go into "bitching" mode. Here's hoping BRP proves to be a winner. Regards to all from Down Under

robmorg
05-29-2015, 09:23 AM
I would say this topic has gone down hill and I would not be surprised if Steve from BRP gave up even reading this anymore.

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

Sometimes I wonder what some people post is really in the best interests of us all when it comes to a thread like this where BRP is listening :mad:

Bob
You make a good point Bob , but I wouldn't worry too much. I think by now Steve is probably familiar with all our "indiscretions". ;)

BRPcare
05-29-2015, 10:06 AM
Hey all,

I was able to sneak a couple more pics of the panel portion of the update to give you a better idea of the look:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108319&stc=1

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108320&stc=1

tigerdr
05-29-2015, 10:10 AM
To all BRP guys and girls who works on this recall ---> GOOD JOB.

:clap:

Bob Denman
05-29-2015, 10:20 AM
They actually look pretty darn good on the yellow RT!:clap: :thumbup:

condorflysu
05-29-2015, 10:24 AM
:agree:

finless
05-29-2015, 10:26 AM
Thanks Steve!

I actually like them and I want them for my 2011!

Will people be able to purchase them later? I assume they have to be made a spare part at some point?

Bob

DARRELL8755
05-29-2015, 11:08 AM
I really like the way they look. I have my appointment set for june 19th to get the recall done. Thanks brp...

robmorg
05-29-2015, 11:12 AM
Thanks for the additional pictures, Steve. I like the way those scoops look as well. I'm glad you guys made them in gloss black. Better than the "plastic chrome" look, and I think they somewhat enhance the look of the RT. They should certainty enhance the ventilation to the engine compartment. :thumbup:

Bob Denman
05-29-2015, 11:22 AM
What's wrong with "plastic chrome"? :shocked:
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108335&stc=1

MouthPiece
05-29-2015, 11:49 AM
They'll certainly look good on my yeller "13" RT-S.

Chris

mcpjan
05-29-2015, 12:17 PM

:agree: I hope it looks that good on white.:pray:

scarecrow
05-29-2015, 01:23 PM
I'm with finless. I like the scoops. I'd like to try them on my 2014 rts. Still like to push more air at the engine. Those of you that have the adjustable air wings I would try to keep them many of us 14 drivers would like to have them at a reduced price.
They put them on my 13rts durning the first heat reduction test, but kept them when I trade for the 14rts.

bcoulter19
05-29-2015, 01:27 PM

That will look really good on my yellow RTS. :roflblack:

Bill C.

Bob Denman
05-29-2015, 01:33 PM
I hope that BRP is listening... The scoops are getting some decent reviews, and interest from RT owners that don't even have to have them! :2thumbs:
(Put them in your accessories catalog!!) :D

finless
05-29-2015, 01:39 PM
I hope that BRP is listening... The scoops are getting some decent reviews, and interest from RT owners that don't even have to have them! :2thumbs:
(Put them in your accessories catalog!!) :D

I think the problem will be the jig and tool to cut the panel!

But some of us good with a Dremel can probably handle it with the paper template :)

Bob

Bob Denman
05-29-2015, 01:46 PM
:agree: While not for the faint of heart; it's do-able! :thumbup:

Rolffe-of-Six
05-29-2015, 01:52 PM
My exceptional dealer, RPM Cycles in Albemarle, NC already has the mod kits on order; the tech personnel have read through the 32-page modification instructions and are awaiting parts arrival. I understand that there are body panel/airflow changes and significant changes to the fuel distribution and ventilation system. Sounds like it should take a good tech nearly a full day to complete. I hope this will cool down my ride and get rid of that gasoline smell.

Bob Denman
05-29-2015, 01:55 PM
The best of luck to you and ULY... :thumbup:

Rolffe-of-Six
05-29-2015, 02:00 PM
Thanks Bob-

I obviously hadn't read the previous posts that gave a lot more detail than I had. Best wishes to all '13 riders, their rides and their mods!

kyace2003
05-29-2015, 02:18 PM
I called LMS to schedule the recall work, the person I talked to was not a technical person, however she stated that the tech is planning on 1.5 days per spyder to do this recall. I guessed at a day given the instructions, maybe after a few are done they will be faster at it, the two days really doesn't bother me, I would rather have them tell me 1.5 days and it be ready in .5 but I would prefer it completed correctly instead of rushed.

MouthPiece
05-29-2015, 03:35 PM
Just got an email from, Greg, who is the service manager at Seminole Power Sports in Sanford, Flarda. Said he had the parts and we are ready to go. Hopefully, Jason, the service tech will be there tomorrow. I should have this thing done either tomorrow or Monday. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Chris

KennW
05-29-2015, 03:52 PM
More photographs of the new scoops the more I'm thinking they don't just look like an ugly afterthought. Infact am beginning to quite like the look especially from front on view. Looking forward to getting my much loved RT done.

DARRELL8755
05-29-2015, 04:31 PM
Hey mouthpiece that's great. Hopefully by Monday or Tuesday we will have pics and a review.

ekfraz
05-29-2015, 04:59 PM
Does anyone know if these new vents will be bug and dirt collectors? if ridden in the rain will this allow water to enter into the engine compartment?

Huddleston
05-29-2015, 05:06 PM
Does anyone know if these new vents will be bug and dirt collectors? if ridden in the rain will this allow water to enter into the engine compartment?

My Vertika vents let in bugs and water.

JKMSPYDER
05-29-2015, 05:14 PM
I have the new panels on my ST-S and really haven't noticed water getting in since I haven't been thru a hard rain. But bugs can get in. I would think neither water nor bugs would cause any harm. Just think about the average motorcycle that has no panels and what they go thru.

cuznjohn
05-29-2015, 05:17 PM
i am having a hard time telling if the vents are flat black or not

ekfraz
05-29-2015, 05:20 PM
They look like they are gloss black.

jcthorne
05-29-2015, 05:55 PM
They are flat black with gloss black trim around the front.

Dealer just called and our parts are in. Bike is going to the shop in the morning with the intent of them having it several days while they work through the first one (ours) so they can do more of them quicker. Mine also has some known non-oem configuration they may need to speak with BRP about.

Bob Denman
05-29-2015, 05:59 PM
Good Luck! http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108428&stc=1
And of course: we're expecting a full report on all of this... :D

finless
05-29-2015, 06:05 PM
I think JC might be the first to report on the fix! :bowdown:

I cannot wait to hear :yes:

Bob

taxmyzer
05-29-2015, 06:12 PM
Good Luck! http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=108428&stc=1
And of course: we're expecting a full report on all of this... :D

You forgot to mention pictures Bob, lots of pictures...

StanProff
05-29-2015, 07:23 PM

there are plenty of '10's 11's 12's and 14's that they will fit. should be easy to sell.

MouthPiece
05-29-2015, 07:45 PM
Hey mouthpiece that's great. Hopefully by Monday or Tuesday we will have pics and a review.

I certainly will. Service tech is booked up tomorrow, Saturday, so it looks like Monday.

​Chris

KennW
05-29-2015, 09:57 PM
Only downside I can see with the new vents is saying goodbye to my immaculate under tupperware area.
Oh well after owing Harley's am used to spending hours cleaning my bikes.
Did so enjoy the ease of just a quick going over with waterless wash and a quick rub with spray on Polish after a ride.
For a cooler ride I believe I can handle almost anything.

robmorg
05-29-2015, 10:59 PM
What's wrong with "plastic chrome"? :shocked:
Nothing, Bob. On your bike it looks GREAT! :doorag: ;)

robmorg
05-29-2015, 11:06 PM
I think the problem will be the jig and tool to cut the panel!

But some of us good with a Dremel can probably handle it with the paper template :)

BobThat would leave me out. Good thing I'm getting them for free. :sour:

But if I were you, Bob, I wouldn't give up hope that you could get the same deal. Remember that the NHSTA investigation included MORE than just the 2013 RT's. After the the first go-around with the 2013's, you may be next.

WellsboroSpyder
05-30-2015, 07:29 AM
I have the new panels on my ST-S and really haven't noticed water getting in since I haven't been thru a hard rain. But bugs can get in. I would think neither water nor bugs would cause any harm. Just think about the average motorcycle that has no panels and what they go thru.

Us 2013 rt owners already had a recall to fix an issue of water entering the back of the fuse box. Snorkel is close to the fuse box and the upper power connection 2013 have on the left side.

finless
05-30-2015, 09:02 AM
That would leave me out. Good thing I'm getting them for free. :sour:

But if I were you, Bob, I wouldn't give up hope that you could get the same deal. Remember that the NHSTA investigation included MORE than just the 2013 RT's. After the the first go-around with the 2013's, you may be next.

Where di you here this? I thought it was all focused on the 2013's?

Bob

rtotten
05-30-2015, 10:23 AM
This past Thursday I finally took my 2013 RT in for its 3K mile service, it is only a little over due it has 5K on it. When I dropped it off they said they had ordered the kits, but had not received them yet, but would let me know when they came it. About 4:30 yesterday afternoon, I got a call, that they might not with my bike until next next Monday because they were in the middle of putting the recall kit on my bike. No call hey we got the kit in and we are going to put the kit in. They just went ahead and it. Lucky Me!:banghead: Suns out I want to Ride!