PDA

View Full Version : Elio Trike

AY4B
05-25-2015, 04:36 PM
84 MPG $6800.00
A friend showed me this yesterday. He is planning on getting one. They are not yet for sale because the government cant figure out if its a car or a motorcycle.
http://www.eliomotors.com/

LadyDi'sSpyder
05-25-2015, 04:43 PM
My husband put a deposit on one a year ago....still waiting.

84 MPG $6800.00
A friend showed me this yesterday. He is planning on getting one. They are not yet for sale because the government cant figure out if its a car or a motorcycle.

AY4B
05-25-2015, 04:49 PM
Their web site claims that they can achieve 84 MPG because it is half the size of a car so it gets half the wind resistance.
If thats the case, a spyder should get 100 MPG.:spyder:

GOZFST
05-25-2015, 05:02 PM
What do they use for an engine?

jcthorne
05-25-2015, 05:13 PM
Its not for sale yet because the 'deposit' is a very large scam. They do no exist and will not be built. At least not anywhere near the capabilities and price point they are advertising.

Has nothing to do with car vs motorcycle. In most states it would be a motorcycle, it would not meet DOT standards for an automobile anywhere in the US.

AY4B
05-25-2015, 05:13 PM
What do they use for an engine?

They have this video on the site, It does not impress me as an eco engine
https://youtu.be/QkZS1YWPpIE

Bob Denman
05-25-2015, 05:37 PM
:bdh: This piece of vaporware will just NOT go away... :banghead:
Paul Elio is a genius at just ne thing: talking people out of money.
Search them out online, and see how many times they've pushed back the production date. :gaah:

DJFaninTN
05-25-2015, 05:50 PM
i have some ocean front property for sale in Arizona ..... pretty cheap. send a small deposit in unmarked bills

Ex Winger
05-25-2015, 06:03 PM
i have some ocean front property for sale in Arizona ..... pretty cheap. send a small deposit in unmarked bills
You take Canadian dollars.Looking for about 100!acres:sour:

ARtraveler
05-25-2015, 08:01 PM
Check our search function on this site. There are two extensive threads on the Elio.

The latest is that it will not be in production until 2016. They move the year up each year for the last 5 years or so.

I would recommend hanging on to your deposit. This car? is most likely never to be built.

Paul Elio gets various internet sites to print his "press releases" on slow days.

Big F
05-25-2015, 08:04 PM
84 MPG $6800.00

I also have had my deposit down for almost a year. I sat in one in Lincoln, NE a couple of months ago. It's going to be interesting when these "autocycles" hit the production line???
BIG F

donkes
05-25-2015, 08:08 PM
I hope it gets built to emphasise MPG.

Grandpa Pete
05-25-2015, 08:31 PM
There also gonna throw in some canned pink tuna with every vehicle:yikes::yikes::yikes:

Spyder601
05-25-2015, 08:56 PM
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/webkit-fake-url://7bf9484a-3389-4e03-922a-7ab96f302cfe/imagegif :banghead:

Chupaca
05-25-2015, 09:27 PM
They still don't have the funds to do this and depositers are drying up...I once posted their financial picture and it wasn't good at all... So we wait and watch...:thumbup:

flaggerphil
05-25-2015, 10:31 PM
84 MPG $6800.00

No, they haven't built any yet because they don't have the money to build them. The government has nothing to do with it.

I wouldn't go near one unless they had production models on the road.

dndfindley
05-25-2015, 11:28 PM
I also have had my deposit down for almost a year. I sat in one in Lincoln, NE a couple of months ago. It's going to be interesting when these "autocycles" hit the production line???
BIG F

Kiss your deposit goodbye.

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-25-2015, 11:41 PM
84 MPG $6800.00
Can you say delusional dreams?

Bob Denman
05-26-2015, 06:20 AM
:agree: But that doesn't mean that I don't want to see it become reality... :thumbup:
Manufacturing jobs have been leaving this Country for years; it'd be nice to see some new ones crop up! :pray:

wiredgeorge
05-26-2015, 09:58 AM
Their web site claims that they can achieve 84 MPG because it is half the size of a car so it gets half the wind resistance.
If thats the case, a spyder should get 100 MPG.:spyder:

My Spyder gets 125 MPG I think. Notice that service and warranty are provided by Manny, Mo and Jack! (The Pep Boys!) Comforting.

wiredgeorge
05-26-2015, 10:01 AM
One of the reasons for such a low price point is likely the Elio compnay relying on the fact that it will be titled as a motorcycle and not have to meet all the automobile safety and smog requirements levied by the Fed. I would want a standard rear camera with these things as a passenger in the middle of the rear would allow only outside rear view mirrors to be of use.

Oldmanzues
05-26-2015, 10:36 AM
I would like to see them in production. Will I ever see them in production, no. No idea how many years it has been said, production will start next next year in ????

Slingshot is still fighting the battle over what, if anything it is. Somebody ??? said, a couple of the six states that would NOT allow them to licensed have changed the law to something called "Auto-Cycle". Under current Ohio law, hey are motorcycles have m?c rules to operate.
Oldmanzues

napper39
05-26-2015, 10:45 AM
six years and ever year ,next year they will never have enough money to do it,its a dream dont invest in somebodys dream.:yikes::lecturef_smilie::bdh::bdh:

Firefly
05-26-2015, 05:24 PM
Never will see them on the road. They've been saying they were a year away from delivery..... For 8 years or more.
Don't be fooled.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IdahoMtnSpyder
05-26-2015, 07:19 PM
Never will see them on the road. They've been saying they were a year away from delivery..... For 8 years or more.
Let's give them a little bit of credit! They were started in 2008 so that's only 6 1/2 years ago! :roflblack:

jwood4242
05-27-2015, 03:25 AM
I've got a reservation for one, think it's # 10,004 but I can't remember for sure. I was pretty excited for the first year or two. I think it's a good concept but knew all along they would have difficulty financing it. To many reasons for other companies not to want it to happen.
It was pretty sharp at first concept with the open exposed front tires, then they had to put those ugly fenders on it to achieve the MPG goal.
I wanted an Elio way before I knew Spyder existed. If I ever do get it I will take the fenders off and forget about getting 84mpg. Think about it, cut the top off and it would be like having a front wheel drive Spyder :yes::yes::yes:

Firefly
05-31-2015, 11:08 AM
I've got a reservation for one, think it's # 10,004 but I can't remember for sure. I was pretty excited for the first year or two. I think it's a good concept but knew all along they would have difficulty financing it. To many reasons for other companies not to want it to happen.
It was pretty sharp at first concept with the open exposed front tires, then they had to put those ugly fenders on it to achieve the MPG goal.
I wanted an Elio way before I knew Spyder existed. If I ever do get it I will take the fenders off and forget about getting 84mpg. Think about it, cut the top off and it would be like having a front wheel drive Spyder :yes::yes::yes:

Sorry to say, but you'll never take delivery. It's nothing more than a barely legal scam. These would also never be or feel anything like a Spyder. Maybe more like a moped with 3 wheels.

I don't know how the Elio people can sleep at night after bilking thousands of people out of millions of dollars.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bob Denman
05-31-2015, 05:27 PM
I would like to see them in production. Will I ever see them in production, no. No idea how many years it has been said, production will start next next year in ????

Slingshot is still fighting the battle over what, if anything it is. Somebody ??? said, a couple of the six states that would NOT allow them to licensed have changed the law to something called "Auto-Cycle". Under current Ohio law, hey are motorcycles have m?c rules to operate.
Oldmanzues
:agree: Anything to help create jobs in this Country! :thumbup:
The SlingShot is getting it's place on the roads sorted out... Connecticut has gotten their act together.
Texas still needs to work it out, and a couple more.

retread
05-31-2015, 07:45 PM
The thing I'm worried about is the feds deciding to come up with a "new class" of vehicle, with a whole bunch of new regulations.

john

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-01-2015, 12:59 AM
:agree: Anything to help create jobs in this Country! :thumbup:
The SlingShot is getting it's place on the roads sorted out... Connecticut has gotten their act together.
Texas still needs to work it out, and a couple more.
Texas did, a couple of days ago. The SS is same as a motorcycle except passenger foot pegs aren't required! :roflblack:

ThreeWheels
06-01-2015, 05:45 AM
Remember the Tucker.
Tucker did the same thing and managed to build about 50 cars, but then was shut down by a trial.

Bob Denman
06-01-2015, 06:55 AM
Texas did, a couple of days ago. The SS is same as a motorcycle except passenger foot pegs aren't required! :roflblack:

If they were required; you could always just throw them in the glovebox! :roflblack:

Deer Slayer
06-01-2015, 08:29 AM
If it is too good to be true, it usually is.:yikes:

Rando
06-14-2015, 09:25 PM
http://masterherald.com/elio-motors-finally-gets-funding-to-mass-produce-three-wheeled-car-in-2016/19090/

IdahoMtnSpyder
06-15-2015, 01:07 AM
http://masterherald.com/elio-motors-finally-gets-funding-to-mass-produce-three-wheeled-car-in-2016/19090/
Interesting! On June 3 Wall Street Journal reported Paul Elio still needed $230 million. Today this Sultanate of Oman based news company says he has raised it. Considering where the story is coming from it looks to me like he may have snagged Middle East money. How well will that sell in this country?

ARtraveler
06-15-2015, 01:25 AM
It is amazing how this keeps coming back.

Last week from various internet sources>

:ani29:: Production now moved up to mid 2016
:ani29:: The engine manufacturer they plan to use, went out of business and defunct about 10 years ago.
:ani29:: Elio claims to have 46,000 pre orders.
:ani29:: They still do not have a running prototype.
:ani29:: The traveling dog and pony show continues. Maybe P. T. Barnum was right.

I don't think I will be looking for employment with the firm.
Still not rushing to put down a deposit.

Bob Denman
06-15-2015, 07:12 AM
:agree: The rumors are tougher to kill, than radioactive cockroaches!! :yikes:

Rando
06-16-2015, 03:06 PM
Where would this world be without men of vision?

ARtraveler
06-16-2015, 03:13 PM
Oh Goody! A reservation bonus if I sign up now. I still have a few questions:

It is amazing how this keeps coming back.

Last week from various internet sources>

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/smilies/ani29.gif: Production now moved up to mid 2016
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/smilies/ani29.gif: The engine manufacturer they plan to use, went out of business and defunct about 10 years ago.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/smilies/ani29.gif: Elio claims to have 46,000 pre orders.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/smilies/ani29.gif: They still do not have a running prototype.
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/images/smilies/ani29.gif: The traveling dog and pony show continues. Maybe P. T. Barnum was right.

I don't think I will be looking for employment with the firm.

Still not rushing to put down a deposit.

As far as "men of vision" goes--my vision is directed at consumers not getting screwed out of their hard earned money.

Where's The Beef?

Rando
06-16-2015, 03:17 PM
Oh Goody! A reservation bonus if I sign up now.Too late, you need to READ the letter. It's not for naysayers.

ARtraveler
06-16-2015, 03:21 PM
Too late, you need to READ the letter. It's not for naysayers.

I consider myself to be a Consumer Advocate--not a Naysayer. However, there is plenty of material for either side.

I read all I can about the subject very carefully.

The purpose of an outdated letter?

Are you working for the company?

Where's the Beef?

PS: :congrats: on your new Slingshot. I like the colors.

Rando
06-16-2015, 03:29 PM
Not outdated, it's a recent letter to long standing reservation holders. No ties to the company. I just believe in the dream, just like I believed in and waited for a Spyder and most recently a Slingshot. Thanks!

I may end up eating my words, along with 46,000 others. In all honesty, I don't expect to see it before 2017.

ARtraveler
06-16-2015, 03:38 PM
Not outdated, it's a recent letter to long standing reservation holders. No ties to the company. I just believe in the dream, just like I believed in and waited for a Spyder and most recently a Slingshot. Thanks!

I may end up eating my words, along with 46,000 others.

As a business/accounting professor, there are just to many red flags that have and continue to pop up. This was one dream that I just could not get on board with. Others even smarter than I have also mentioned many of the same issues.

I sincerely hope that you and 45,999 others do get their Elios.

Enough sparring for today Rando. As ever, its always fun with a little bit of lively banter.

I am guessing that you are enjoying the SS though.

Rando
06-16-2015, 03:47 PM
I am guessing that you are enjoying the SS though.YES, YES and YES! It is sooooo much fun "surfing the asphalt" of the smooth Arízona roads! I don't miss the potholes of Michigan at all. Everyone back home said I would hate the heat but I'm kinda enjoying it! 110 degrees today. I just take my SS rides early in the morning.

Bob Denman
06-16-2015, 04:22 PM
A good friend of mine met a Lady up at Americade this year; she was cruising the U.S.A and Canada in one! :bowdown:

She said that they're certainly NOT a motorcycle; but they're a dang nice sports car! :2thumbs:

Highwayman2013
06-19-2015, 07:37 AM
I think it's a scam, but I hope I'm wrong for those that put money down.

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
06-19-2015, 08:56 AM
i don't think the delorean...er i mean elio is a scam just a pipe dream perhaps. time will tell.

Rando
06-19-2015, 09:03 AM
I think it's a scam, but I hope I'm wrong for those that put money down.I don't think it's a scam per say since Paul Elio has good intentions. Sometimes the little guy gets squeezed out by corporate America who will kill the little guys dream. I knew it was a big gamble when I gave them my money but I did the same thing for the Pebble Smartwatch and look where they are today. I love my Pebble, and they might get squeezed out by Apple, and I hope someday I will love my Elio!

By the way, my Pebble will last a week on a charge. The Apple Watch, maybe a day.

jwood4242
06-19-2015, 09:13 AM

we'll see? I still doubt that it will happen, not for $6800 anyway.

Bob Denman
06-19-2015, 09:18 AM
I don't think it's a scam per say since Paul Elio has good intentions. .

An awful lot of real messes; have started with "Good Intentions"... :shocked:
I certainly hope that he can pull this off: We can sure use the jobs, and I'd hate to see so many good folks lose their money...
Time will tell...http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109845&stc=1

Rando
06-19-2015, 10:15 AM
An awful lot of real messes; have started with "Good Intentions"... You are right! I guess you could say even Hitler (in his demented mind) had good intentions, in an evil twisted sort of way.:yikes:

Bob Denman
06-19-2015, 10:20 AM
Malcolm Bricklin, and John DeLorean too!

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109849&stc=1http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=109850&stc=1

jerpinoy
06-19-2015, 11:00 AM
Remember.......:banghead::banghead::banghead::bang head::banghead: Deposits are not refundable:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: :banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead: but a shirt is sent.:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::bang head:.

I have challenge Paul Elio to sent me one and I'll pay CASH but no response yet.:banghead:

Rando
06-19-2015, 12:00 PM
Oh, oh.... This might be good or ........ Bad!

https://www.startengine.com/startup/elio-motors

Bob Denman
06-19-2015, 12:05 PM
That's very glitzy and impressive ad for them... :clap:
But is it saying; what I THINK it's saying? :shocked:

ARtraveler
06-19-2015, 02:21 PM
Oh, oh.... This might be good or ........ Bad!

https://www.startengine.com/startup/elio-motors

A very impressive ad--they have some good marketing people aboard. They continue to refine the basic shape, and I have to admit, it does not look to bad.

I see only a left front door, and not sure I would want to be riding shotgun in the rear compartment. That's just me though.

I did not read every word, but it seems to be asking for investors this go around.

Left out: Production and availability information.

I am still having a hard time with how can they sell it for $6,800 and become a viable, profitable, company. Those arguments were presented long ago so will not repeat them.

My best advice--go with your gut. If you have money to invest and can write it off as a deduction--in the event of a fail--no problem.

If you are considering buying one--the jury is still out.

Bob Denman
06-19-2015, 02:23 PM
nojoke My Rule of Thumb: "If it sounds to good to be true; it probably is." :shocked:

Rando
06-25-2015, 04:58 PM
I am guessing that you are enjoying the SS though.Are there any SS dealers in AK? Have you seen any driving around?

ARtraveler
06-25-2015, 05:11 PM
Are there any SS dealers in AK? Have you seen any driving around?

When I last checked (about 2 weeks ago), there were none. A Polaris dealer is about 100 feet from my :spyder2: dealer. That could be fun, yes? :roflblack::roflblack:

The nearest dealer was in the Seattle area, and a couple in Canada.

Akspyderlady saw a black one driving around town. I have not seen it. If I do see it, and can get a conversation going, I will see what I can find out. I really would like to test drive one. Am a bit afraid that I will have issues getting in and out though.

:popcorn::popcorn:

Bob Denman
06-25-2015, 05:22 PM
I'll be interested to see how the driver handles the Black flies and mosquitoes... :yikes:

ARtraveler
06-25-2015, 06:14 PM
I'll be interested to see how the driver handles the Black flies and mosquitoes... :yikes:

Mosquito (B52 season) is now over. Never been attacked by a black fly here--but--I don't go up to the tundra very often. :yikes::yikes:

Both were much more prevalent in MN. When I used to go wilderness canoeing, you could count on getting eaten up and attacked on portages. They did not seem to attack much when you were out on the lake--unless they hitched a ride on the canoe.

One of those black flies bit me on the neck and gave me a welt the size of a walnut one time. We used a lot of 6-12 back in the day. Wonder if that will come back to bite me in my old age.

Bob Denman
06-26-2015, 07:00 AM
Ben's 100, will keep ALL of the bugs off of you... nojoke

100% DEET. Put in on your clothing; NOT on your skin! :shocked:

It's the only deterrent we have found, that will keep the "Adirondack Air Force" at bay. :thumbup:

ARtraveler
06-26-2015, 01:25 PM
Ben's 100, will keep ALL of the bugs off of you... nojoke

100% DEET. Put in on your clothing; NOT on your skin! :shocked:

It's the only deterrent we have found, that will keep the "Adirondack Air Force" at bay. :thumbup:

When needed, my brand of choice is DeepWoods OFF.

Bob Denman
06-26-2015, 02:31 PM
nojoke I swear; they LIKED that stuff! :gaah:
The best that we ever could manage with it, was about a 15 minute window of relief...
Ben's would keep them away for hours! :thumbup:

Gary
06-26-2015, 03:11 PM
yea. I've had one on deposit for about 5 1/2 years they sent a letter last year, said if I uped to 1000. I could go to the top of the list I was like 15 on the first list. I am still waiting ..

Highwayman2013
06-26-2015, 03:15 PM
Tick, tick, tick....