PDA

View Full Version : What to do in Yellowstone?

Purple Guy
05-25-2015, 07:44 AM
My wife and I are taking a short bike trip downinto the US in August and are planning on stopping in Yellowstone National Park.
Lookingfor any suggestions, tips, and pointers on things to do & see.
Is 2 daysenough to get a decent look around?
Should weconsider including Grand Teton National Park?
We couldbuild in a max of 4 days for this part of the trip...
Alsoany recommendations on where to stay. We don't need anything fancy, wegenerally stay in motels when were on the road, as long as it's clean with asomewhat comfy bed.

Thanks for any ideas you guys can pass along! :thumbup:

PrairieSpyder
05-25-2015, 08:02 AM
What do you like to do? If you like hiking you shou spend more time. I've been to Yellowstone several times. Twice on week-long horse-packing trips in the back country. It was fabulous. Other times I Watson my way elsewhere and just spent a day. Once I got a room in the Old Faithful lodge, just lucked out on someone's cancellation. If you like architecture get a tour there; very interesting. The rooms are comfy & basic. Some w/o en suite. But I'm ok with that now & then, and I can say I stayed there.

Frank G
05-25-2015, 09:52 AM
You really need no agenda, there is plenty to see and do, go at your own pace. Try to find some lodging in the park. I would plan a trip through Glacer on the way down or back, speciffically "Going to the Sun" road. Cody WY is an interesting stop, mabe a nights lodging there. Be sure to attend the Rodeo in Cody, I think it is still held nightly. It is modeled after Wild Bill Cody's "Wild West Show".

Have a great time.

GOZFST
05-25-2015, 10:41 AM
+1 on the Going to the Sun Highway, but don't do it on a weekend, Chief Joseph Highway is a must see,Beartooth Highway,Red Lodge area is specacular, if you have time ride through Cody and stop and see the Cody Museum. OH and don't feed the bears.

Purple Guy
05-25-2015, 11:10 AM
What do you like to do? If you like hiking you shou spend more time. I've been to Yellowstone several times. Twice on week-long horse-packing trips in the back country. It was fabulous. Other times I Watson my way elsewhere and just spent a day. Once I got a room in the Old Faithful lodge, just lucked out on someone's cancellation. If you like architecture get a tour there; very interesting. The rooms are comfy & basic. Some w/o en suite. But I'm ok with that now & then, and I can say I stayed there.

We're not much into hiking, don't mind walking around and such but more into riding around and see all the great outdoors has to offer and who doesn't like to catch a glimpse of some wildlife. :D
Sadly our time is limited for this trip with only 10 day round trip.

Purple Guy
05-25-2015, 11:18 AM
You really need no agenda, there is plenty to see and do, go at your own pace. Try to find some lodging in the park. I would plan a trip through Glacer on the way down or back, speciffically "Going to the Sun" road. Cody WY is an interesting stop, mabe a nights lodging there. Be sure to attend the Rodeo in Cody, I think it is still held nightly. It is modeled after Wild Bill Cody's "Wild West Show".

Have a great time.

We did the Going to the Sun road last year and it is a must do for anyone especially on a bike!

ARtraveler
05-25-2015, 02:35 PM
There are two very different rides in Yellowstone. The Upper Geyser Basin and the Lower Geyser basin. You will climb and see some beautiful mountain vistas in the Upper Geyser Basin ride.

The Lower Geyser basin gives all the sights the tourists go to--Old Faithful, geyser pools, etc. etc.

On both, you will encounter wildlife.

Yellowstone Canyon is also great.

Grand Teton National Park is more a view of the Grand Tetons and the lake. Jackson Hole Wyoming is going to be the big tourist draw there.

Purple Guy
05-25-2015, 05:12 PM
There are two very different rides in Yellowstone. The Upper Geyser Basin and the Lower Geyser basin. You will climb and see some beautiful mountain vistas in the Upper Geyser Basin ride.

The Lower Geyser basin gives all the sights the tourists go to--Old Faithful, geyser pools, etc. etc.

On both, you will encounter wildlife.

Yellowstone Canyon is also great.

Grand Teton National Park is more a view of the Grand Tetons and the lake. Jackson Hole Wyoming is going to be the big tourist draw there.

Some good ideas, Thanks! :thumbup:

flamingobabe
05-25-2015, 05:37 PM
Beartooth Pass....northeast corner leaving Yellowstone....a must......you could ride all around for 2 days...Yellowstone Grand Canyon is really nice.....leaving south entrance to Jackson Hole. WY is good....Old Faithful geyser and hotel are most interesting....but you have to wait a long time....think you have to sign up....but the north northwest entrance has some good geysers...wildlife everywhere

Bob Denman
05-25-2015, 06:05 PM
:shocked: PLEASE tell us that you didn't book with this tour operator!!! :yikes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6GAxVSMwVYg

Purple Guy
05-25-2015, 06:25 PM
Beartooth Pass....northeast corner leaving Yellowstone....a must......you could ride all around for 2 days...Yellowstone Grand Canyon is really nice.....leaving south entrance to Jackson Hole. WY is good....Old Faithful geyser and hotel are most interesting....but you have to wait a long time....think you have to sign up....but the north northwest entrance has some good geysers...wildlife everywhere

Thank You, plans are coming together!

:shocked: PLEASE tell us that you didn't book with this tour operator!!! :yikes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=6GAxVSMwVYg

Bob you realize now I can't share this thread with my wife.
One view of your post and all I'll be seeing is the Vegreville Easter Egg! :yikes:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/publications/discover/images/section-05-m-Large.jpg

Bob Denman
05-25-2015, 08:43 PM
:agree: It's probably best , that we NOT have scare her...

ARCTIC
05-26-2015, 09:15 AM
We drove through the park and any side roads that looked interesting we turned off. Saw some cool stuff. Watched old faithful erupt a few times. Stopped at some small hot springs away from the crowds and you could walk right up to them and put your hand in the water to see how warm they are. Yellowstone was okay, the traffic significantly decreases the fun factor. I really liked beartooth and the loop we made outside of Jackson Hole to Victor, Swan Valley, Alpine and back. Very nice scenic roads with very little traffic.
Here's a link to my thread maybe there's some info there you can use:http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?69386-Yellowstone-Beartooth-Tetons-!!!!

Purple Guy
05-26-2015, 01:44 PM
We drove through the park and any side roads that looked interesting we turned off. Saw some cool stuff. Watched old faithful erupt a few times. Stopped at some small hot springs away from the crowds and you could walk right up to them and put your hand in the water to see how warm they are. Yellowstone was okay, the traffic significantly decreases the fun factor. I really liked beartooth and the loop we made outside of Jackson Hole to Victor, Swan Valley, Alpine and back. Very nice scenic roads with very little traffic.
Here's a link to my thread maybe there's some info there you can use:http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/showthread.php?69386-Yellowstone-Beartooth-Tetons-!!!!

Very Cool, Thank You!