PDA

View Full Version : Discount Tire says they will not sell tires for Spyders.

SpyderSue
05-22-2015, 02:44 PM
Wow, so I just called Discount Tire - I wanted to buy another Kumho like I had bought before, and he pulled up my info and said that they are not allowed to sell tires for Spyders any longer. If I want that tire, I have to call back and not tell them what it is for.

Has anyone else encountered this? WTH??? :banghead:

Also - what is everyone putting on the fronts now? I've done some searching, and may just be forum inept - but didn't see much (NOT the OEM tire) other than Bridgestone Potenza RE92. Is that what you guys like the best for the front?

Thanks!

Bob Denman
05-22-2015, 02:46 PM
Tell them, that it's for a 2004 Toyota Tacoma base model truck...

...The spare tire. ;)

Highwayman2013
05-22-2015, 02:46 PM
Yes this is not new. I think some people said they were getting it for a Toyota Tacoma to fool them. I am using 185/65/14 General Altimax's on my RT. They just fit the fenders, but maybe a 175 would fit easier.

Deer Slayer
05-22-2015, 02:49 PM
Wow, so I just called Discount Tire - I wanted to buy another Kumho like I had bought before, and he pulled up my info and said that they are not allowed to sell tires for Spyders any longer. If I want that tire, I have to call back and not tell them what it is for.

Also - what is everyone putting on the fronts now? I've done some searching, and may just be forum inept - but didn't see much (NOT the OEM tire) other than Bridgestone Potenza RE92. Is that what you guys like the best for the front?

Thanks!
Yup they did it with Goldwings too, we just told them it was for a Mini.:thumbup:

SpyderSue
05-22-2015, 02:51 PM

Thanks!

Thanks Guys - I hadn't heard that before - caught me off guard. What about my question about the front tires? I've got an 09 GS

Bob Denman
05-22-2015, 02:53 PM
The Potenzas have gotten some really nice reviews in here... :thumbup:

Highwayman2013
05-22-2015, 02:53 PM
Thanks Guys - I hadn't heard that before - caught me off guard. What about my question about the front tires? I've got an 09 GS

Just search 165/175/185-65/14 all should fit.

randyandsandy74
05-22-2015, 02:59 PM
I agree with highwayman2013, we have general altimax on both front and back on ours, 2012 rtl

Chupaca
05-22-2015, 03:03 PM
To hear they will not sell the kumho if you mention it is for a spyder. No one is sure as to why but you have to wiggle around it. If you can order online should work. No problems with other brands however. Wonder if some spyder owner sued kumho for some handling issue and they put out the word to not sell for motorcycle use...:dontknow:

cyclekid58
05-22-2015, 03:41 PM
To hear they will not sell the kumho if you mention it is for a spyder. No one is sure as to why but you have to wiggle around it. If you can order online should work. No problems with other brands however. Wonder if some spyder owner sued kumho for some handling issue and they put out the word to not sell for motorcycle use...:dontknow:

As long as they aren't mounting the tire why should it matter what you are going to do with it, make a tire swing! Put them on a utility trailer, really its really none of their business!

SpyderSue
05-22-2015, 03:42 PM
As long as they aren't mounting the tire why should it matter what you are going to do with it, make a tire swing! Put them on a utility trailer, really its really none of their business!

Agreed - but I ended up ordering on line and saying it was for a Tacoma...silly. Going to try the General tires on the front - yippee!!!

PaladinLV
05-22-2015, 03:42 PM
Miata 5 works, that what I did :)

AJ

Thanks!

murphybrown
05-22-2015, 03:44 PM

I ordered mine off ebay..it was from discount...no ?'s, no fuss...delivered to my door..no tax, no shipping. Sure worked for me!!:thumbup:

LJspydee
05-22-2015, 04:07 PM
Order from DiscountTireDirect.com and there is no "Don't ask Don't tell".

SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN
05-22-2015, 04:18 PM
tell them it is for the swing for your pet tarantula

Bob Denman
05-22-2015, 04:49 PM
I got mine, from Netzley Tire... :thumbup:

retired1
05-22-2015, 05:16 PM
On the way home from Spyderfest, I stopped at Cowtown in Cuba, Mo. They installed a new Kumho on my '14 Rts, with the trailer hitch for $220 out the door.

Bob Denman
05-22-2015, 05:17 PM
Pricing?
Netzley's was just about $150... Installed! :thumbup:

BikerDoc
05-22-2015, 05:45 PM
I ordered mine off ebay..it was from discount...no ?'s, no fuss...delivered to my door..no tax, no shipping. Sure worked for me!!:thumbup: I did the same thing...
Also I have Federal Evos on my front 2014 RTL same size as OEM and have over 23000 miles on them now and tread is still great...

wiredgeorge
05-22-2015, 06:57 PM
Yes this is not new. I think some people said they were getting it for a Toyota Tacoma to fool them. I am using 185/65/14 General Altimax's on my RT. They just fit the fenders, but maybe a 175 would fit easier.

Didn't care for the tight fit but went to Tirerack.com and plugged in values and bunches of choices came out. Since they ship to your house, guess they shouldn't get too nosy about what they are going on...

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/TireSearchResults.jsp?width=175%2F&ratio=65&diameter=14&rearWidth=255%2F&rearRatio=40&rearDiameter=17&zip-code=

SPYD3R
05-22-2015, 07:08 PM
I HAVE THESE ON MY RS.... they are 14", but if you have 15", you can get this tire in that size... KUMHO's are AWESOME... and DISCOUNT TIRE is not on my list of companies i buy things from....
http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107946&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107947&stc=1 http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107948&stc=1
this tire in the 15" will be going on my F3-S soon... they have a 100,000 mile rating...
Dan P
SPYD3R F3-S

Bfromla
05-24-2015, 02:09 AM
On the way home from Spyderfest, I stopped at Cowtown in Cuba, Mo. They installed a new Kumho on my '14 Rts, with the trailer hitch for $220 out the door.

@ spyderfest & didnt get done @ pitbull or Lamonster garage ¿. True was bit of a line. 108019. Sound like u got good price too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kep-up
05-24-2015, 05:56 AM

:agree: Why would you feel the need to tell them what you intend to do with the tire? If you were making a canoe carrier, is that any of their business? And maybe you want to turn it inside out and create a planter for your front yard?

robmorg
05-24-2015, 06:29 AM
I HAVE THESE ON MY RS.... they are 14", but if you have 15", you can get this tire in that size... KUMHO's are AWESOME... http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107947&stc=1
Dan P
SPYD3R F3-SWich Kumho tire is that, Dan? What's the style name?

robmorg
05-24-2015, 06:37 AM
As long as they aren't mounting the tire why should it matter what you are going to do with it, make a tire swing! Put them on a utility trailer, really its really none of their business! Gene likely hit upon the reason in his response. If Kumho is manufacturing the tire it IS their business. Product liability is a huge issue with manufacturers. If the policy is coming from Discount Tire themselves, they likely have had a similar liability issue. It's simply the litigious times we live in.:sour:

retired1
05-24-2015, 06:38 AM
@ spyderfest & didnt get done @ pitbull or Lamonster garage ¿. True was bit of a line. 108019. Sound like u got good price too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They had sold out, by the time I talked to them.

ulflyer
05-24-2015, 07:15 AM
I've ordered 4 tires online over the years for Spyders from Discounttiredirect and theres no questions for anyone to ask.
Put the tire you want in the cart, pay with Paypal, and you're done. I even had the last one shipped to my bike dealer for installation. They charge an hour labor and don't care what you put on your machine.

SPYD3R
05-24-2015, 07:36 AM
Wich Kumho tire is that, Dan? What's the style name?

these are no longer available... i went on the KUMHO website last night, and couldn't find them... i'm guessing they are so good, with the 100,000 wear factor, that KUMHO may have pulled them....
but i'll still buy KUMHO's for all 3 corners.... i just need to find the ones i like.... BTW: I DON'T PUT 'UNI-DIRECTIONAL' TIRES ON THE FRONT.... this allows me to alternate the front tires from SIDE 2 SIDE to achieve better wear.....
dp

jcthorne
05-24-2015, 08:17 AM
these are no longer available... i went on the KUMHO website last night, and couldn't find them... i'm guessing they are so good, with the 100,000 wear factor, that KUMHO may have pulled them....
but i'll still buy KUMHO's for all 3 corners.... i just need to find the ones i like.... BTW: I DON'T PUT 'UNI-DIRECTIONAL' TIRES ON THE FRONT.... this allows me to alternate the front tires from SIDE 2 SIDE to achieve better wear.....
dp

If your front tires are not wearing evenly side to side, you need an alignment, not better tires. There should be NO reason to rotate the front tires side to side.

Discount WILL sell tires for Spyders. They will even mount them. They just will not sell the Kuhmo as BRP contacted them by letter and essentially told them the Kuhmo was unsafe to install on the Spyder. Its a liability issue when the OEM has told them the tire is unsafe and not to sell. So, if they know the Kuhmo is for a Spyder, they will not sell it. Personally, I think the Kuhmo IS an inferior tire for the Spyder, providing insufficient traction from a too hard tread compound and insufficient rain handling, especially as the tire ages. Wont have them on my bike.

Order the Yokohama and you will have a better tire and no argument from Discount. Its a far better tire, made in USA and only a few bucks more. Provides MUCH better dry and WET traction.

murphybrown
05-24-2015, 09:23 AM
If your front tires are not wearing evenly side to side, you need an alignment, not better tires. There should be NO reason to rotate the front tires side to side.

Discount WILL sell tires for Spyders. They will even mount them. They just will not sell the Kuhmo as BRP contacted them by letter and essentially told them the Kuhmo was unsafe to install on the Spyder. Its a liability issue when the OEM has told them the tire is unsafe and not to sell. So, if they know the Kuhmo is for a Spyder, they will not sell it. Personally, I think the Kuhmo IS an inferior tire for the Spyder, providing insufficient traction from a too hard tread compound and insufficient rain handling, especially as the tire ages. Wont have them on my bike.

Order the Yokohama and you will have a better tire and no argument from Discount. Its a far better tire, made in USA and only a few bucks more. Provides MUCH better dry and WET traction.

Does Yokohama made size for both fronts and rear? How long have you used and your results? Thanks.

pitzerwm
05-24-2015, 12:10 PM
Costco will only sell/mount what the manufacture recommends for their car. If you want another size you have to go somewhere else. On a trailer tire the kid told me to bring just the rim. Haven't asked about the Spyder.

robmorg
05-24-2015, 07:17 PM

JC, WHICH Kumho and WHICH Yokohama are you referring too. There are many differences between tires made by the same manufacturer, depending on which of their tires , or which tread design you buy. For example, the Kumho Ecsta AST, which some here have installed, looks like it would provide excellent rain handling, while other Kumho's, I've seen are quite different.

I do agree that the Yokohama S.drive, if that's the one you are referring to, looks like an excellent tire for the Spyder. You would buy that one in size 205/55R15 which would be a tad narrower than the OEM tire, but the exact same diameter.

3whlLefty
05-25-2015, 12:22 AM
When I lived up there in Niwot the Longmont Discount Tire would not put car tires on my open flatbed trailer. I thought that was completely crazy. I went to the Boulder store and they put on the tires I wanted with no fuss.

Who knows why.