PDA

View Full Version : Backrest install question.

StormNY01
05-22-2015, 02:42 PM
Hi everyone,

We picked up our new 2014 Spyder ST Wednesday. We wanted the backrest for it and I was able to make a deal with the salesman for that, but didn't specify installation (my fault). So we figured we could install it ourselves.

It was kind of a pain, but we got it on. Although it feels tight and secure, the back part doesn't seem to sit all the way down. I took some pictures and hope they'll clarify what I mean... Hope someone can help.

ps... We are new here and this is our first Spyder. I have been reading a lot here and have learned a ton!

Especially the "Do's and Do Not's" post!

Thank you!

Chupaca
05-22-2015, 03:12 PM
not familiar with that model backrest. Looks to be mounted correctly space keeps from damaging the painted parts. If all is tight you should be fine. I have the older version with the rack and removable backrest that also seems to have gaps...:dontknow:

JCGammack
05-22-2015, 05:42 PM
We have a 2014 ST-Limited with that backrest. Ours does not have that much of a gap. The dealer installed ours so I am not sure what guidance to give you.

Having had the rest off I would recheck the mounting base to be sure nothing is keeping the rest part from seating completely.

Hi everyone,

We picked up our new 2014 Spyder ST Wednesday. We wanted the backrest for it and I was able to make a deal with the salesman for that, but didn't specify installation (my fault). So we figured we could install it ourselves.

It was kind of a pain, but we got it on. Although it feels tight and secure, the back part doesn't seem to sit all the way down. I took some pictures and hope they'll clarify what I mean... Hope someone can help.

ps... We are new here and this is our first Spyder. I have been reading a lot here and have learned a ton!

Especially the "Do's and Do Not's" post!

Thank you!

NSPYTE
05-23-2015, 10:55 AM
We have a 2013 st limited with that backrest and it fits flush...ours was dealer installed as well. I can only suggest going over the install instructions again. Good luck.

pitzerwm
05-23-2015, 01:19 PM
I have that on a 2011 RS, there appears to be a small "gap" on mine too. I would see what adjustment if any there is on the "latch". It's obvious that the "back" needs to go down another 1/4" or so.

Could just be a bad fit from BRP. IMO if you can whack on it and it don't move its probably safe to use as is.

hsteil
06-02-2015, 03:43 PM
We have a 2013 st limited with that backrest and it fits flush...ours was dealer installed as well. I can only suggest going over the install instructions again. Good luck.

Hi ,as I posted earlier, am new to the board, now owner of a 2013 st ltd. could you kindly tell me what I have to pay in the USA for an akropovitch sport exhaust and the backrest?
Shipping is no problem, I'll grab it the next time I visit my daughter on Long Island.
Thanks, Peter in Heidelberg, Germany

blackcrowe
06-02-2015, 07:21 PM
I bought the passenger backrest and top case for my 2014 ST limited and installed myself back in March I think it was. I did have that problem you're talking about with the gap but after I played around with it a bit, wiggled it around, popped it in and out a few times to make sure had in correctly it did finally fall into place.

ARCTIC
06-02-2015, 08:34 PM
It's not down all the way. Shake the crap out of the back rest then try and tighten the bolt down some more. Mine wouldn't sit down all the way at first either

chuck gross
06-02-2015, 10:02 PM
Hi ,as I posted earlier, am new to the board, now owner of a 2013 st ltd. could you kindly tell me what I have to pay in the USA for an akropovitch sport exhaust and the backrest?
Shipping is no problem, I'll grab it the next time I visit my daughter on Long Island.
Thanks, Peter in Heidelberg, Germany

Peter, BRP is offering the Akrapovic sport silencer for 549.99 thats 350.00 off regular price.
the offer ends July 31st while supplies last. in USA and Canada only.
The new style passenger backrest is 649.99 and you can buy a top case that mounts to it for 499.99
or you can go with the old style passenger backrest for 274.99 but in order to mount it you have to buy the sport rack for 434.99
these backrest prices are out of the 2014 catalog.
there is also an after market backrest I think it is made by ultimate that converts from a passenger backrest to a driver backrest when you don't have a passenger on board.

Chuck

pitzerwm
06-02-2015, 11:44 PM
Peter, BRP is offering the Akrapovic sport silencer for 549.99 thats 350.00 off regular price.
the offer ends July 31st while supplies last. in USA and Canada only.
The new style passenger backrest is 649.99 and you can buy a top case that mounts to it for 499.99
or you can go with the old style passenger backrest for 274.99 but in order to mount it you have to buy the sport rack for 434.99
these backrest prices are out of the 2014 catalog.
there is also an after market backrest I think it is made by ultimate that converts from a passenger backrest to a driver backrest when you don't have a passenger on board.

Chuck

Actually its Smoothspyder that makes that one.

ARCTIC
06-03-2015, 10:09 AM
This is what mine looks like. 108746