PDA

View Full Version : battery removal and install on a 14 RT

cuznjohn
05-22-2015, 11:34 AM
THAT'S IT, I,M DONE doing working on a bike anymore. on the 13 rt's as you look at the front of the bike with the frunk open, just under the right top removable plastic (as you look at it), there was two battery terminals. one positive and one negative from the battery. well they changed the location of them and they are now at the bottom right side of the battery.

this morning i went out to permanently finish all the temp wiring i did for the strobes and horn i did. well i had to remove the battery to run the power and negative wires so i could hook up the inline fuse's for both of the items i installed. so i had to remove the battery to get the wires down because it is a very tight spot to run them so in the future the frunk can be removed if it need to be. i also removed the frunk lid because i don't bend around things very easy. WELL LET ME TELL YOU is is a :cus: to work on the battery. after all the wiring was down to the space and putting the battery back in i can't get the battery in enough to cover the compartment. i just walked away from it because i was ready to start throwing stuff.

i am glad i don't want anything else done on the bike and in the future i will ask someone to do it if i want work to be done. :yikes::yikes:

Chupaca
05-22-2015, 11:55 AM
Walking away is good..:thumbup: when your refreshed you will get her buttoned up. I have come to the notion that the more we do ourselves the more complicated they make things, could be a deal with shops..:roflblack:, but don't let them win...others may not do as good a job..:banghead:

robmorg
05-22-2015, 12:24 PM
John,

...what Gene said. ;)

cuznjohn
05-22-2015, 01:13 PM
i plan to go out later and remove and reinstall the battery again

garb55
05-22-2015, 04:50 PM
cuznjohn
you need to find a nice lady mechanic to help you :yes:
It will make hard jobs seem easy :yes::yes:

grumpybob
05-22-2015, 05:20 PM
I think this lady will make it more pleasurable if you have her do the hard work.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WqebMuUj2bo

cuznjohn
05-23-2015, 01:10 PM
WELL FOR THE LIFE OF ME i can't get the battery in right. it was hard taking out and worse going back in. i refuse to pull the frunk to get it right so now it will sit as is till i have a oil change and have them do it the right way

pitzerwm
05-23-2015, 01:23 PM
Where is the video??:banghead:

Cruzr Joe
05-23-2015, 01:25 PM
John

Pull the battery out, make sure that no wires or tools are obstructing putting it back in and just relax, it fits back in there, if you can just do it gently.

Cruzr Joe

JayBros
05-23-2015, 01:31 PM
John, from looking at the picture of the battery compartment in my operator's guide, what part of the battery does not fit back in the compartment, the bottom or top part, or both? Having previously been in my compartment for a connection tightness check there sure isn't much wiggle room.

ARtraveler
05-23-2015, 01:36 PM
For now, the idea to leave it and let them put it back in at oil change time sounds good.

Your outlook might change in 24 hours or so.

Hang in there. It's just a battery. :thumbup: I know, easy for me to say. :roflblack:

cuznjohn
05-23-2015, 01:39 PM
a video will come after the last strobes are done. as far as the battery goes, i took it out and checked to make sure there was nothing in the way. i can't get the bottom of the battery to go in all the way. i even tried prying it with a 2x4 and it wouldn't go in. i put the two top screws in the cover so it will not pop out but i just can't get it to sit right

eddieshep999
05-23-2015, 03:37 PM
Not sure if this helps
There should be a metal bracket that fixes on top of the battery to help secure. It maybe this has fallen down and you are trying to get the battery back in and it's getting caught up on this bracket

Like most of the things there is a certain way needed to remove ltems and another way to fit them back we just need to know what they are

If you manage to find the answer please let us know

cuznjohn
05-23-2015, 03:40 PM
i have the bracket and nothing was behind the battery, NOW IF A 14 RT OWNER WANTS TO BE A GOOD PERSON, they can remove their battery and reinstall it to let me know what i am doing wrong

JayBros
05-23-2015, 04:04 PM
John, thanks for the offer of a match to check for a gas leak! My battery is a PITA to check because the SM10 dongle's right in the way.

donkes
05-23-2015, 04:12 PM
NOW IF A 14 RT OWNER WANTS TO BE A GOOD PERSON, they can remove their battery and reinstall it to let me know what i am doing wrong

I'll get right on that one. :ohyea:

Cruzr Joe
05-23-2015, 05:45 PM
you have to put the Watchamacallit next to the thigamajig and use a left handed monkey wrench close to the double gitback bracket.

Cruzr Joe

pitzerwm
05-25-2015, 12:35 AM
i have the bracket and nothing was behind the battery, NOW IF A 14 RT OWNER WANTS TO BE A GOOD PERSON, they can remove their battery and reinstall it to let me know what i am doing wrong

Founnd this in an older post.

A few hints when installing the battery in a 2014 RT Limited:
 If required, charge battery prior to installation
 Make sure key ignition is off
 Open front trunk
 Unzip liner & remove fiberglass cover at front of battery compartment (2-screws at top)
 Push both cables aside as much as possible
 Push rubber band (at bottom of battery compartment) aside
 Place battery in its compartment (WITHOUT the plate). Note: Battery is quite heavy. Standing with both feet on the ground & bending over might work better for you opposed to lifting/placing battery while kneeling on the floor.
:yes: Install the plate at the top of the battery. Note: The (2) tabs at the back of the plate must fit into the (2) hidden slots. Use mirror & flashlite to ensure proper placement.
 After battery plate is in-place, hook rubber band (at bottom of battery compartment) onto front of plate
 Connect cables
 Re-install front cover
 Zip up liner & close front trunk
 Done

Maybe this is the issue:banghead: