PDA

View Full Version : Summertime dress

donkes
05-21-2015, 01:30 PM
What do you wear, in particular jackets, in the heat of the summer to stay protected yet cool?

ARtraveler
05-21-2015, 01:36 PM
In the Great White North, boots, Kevlar Jeans--sometimes with chaps added, Mesh jacket, lighter weight gloves--with built in palm pads and knuckle protectors, sometimes fingerless (a no no if you are really into ATGATT), and our N43 or N44 Nolan helmets.

I also have a nice perforated (Firstgear-no longer made) leather jacket that I wear--mostly on non-"hot" days.

I will never go sandals, shorts, short sleeved shirts, and no helmet.

Bob Denman
05-21-2015, 01:50 PM
TourMaster Mesh Jacket
Diamond Gusset Defender riding jeans
HJC modular helmet
BRP RT Touring Boots
Joe Rocket leather gloves
ATGATT! :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
05-21-2015, 01:52 PM
PHEW .................... I thought he was asking about a dress for summertime ....................... :dontknow::dontknow: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

That should go in the proofreading thread.

Cruzr Joe

ARtraveler
05-21-2015, 01:55 PM
PHEW .................... I thought he was asking about a dress for summertime ....................... :dontknow::dontknow: :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Cruzr Joe

Whew!!!! I missed that part too. Never assume. :roflblack::roflblack:

Bob Denman
05-21-2015, 01:57 PM

Cruzr Joe

Joe,
We're not judging you... :shocked:
You're over 21, and clearly able to decide for yourself! :D

:dg2:

Marker
05-21-2015, 02:12 PM
Mesh jacket and kevlar reinforced riding jeans and proper riding boots and 3/4 helmet with light weight gloves. Sometimes no jacket if I really get too hot.
NEVER Shorts and sandals or tennis shoes.

spydaman60
05-21-2015, 02:24 PM
just bought the new russell and katy mesh jackets from brp for the wife and I. as we have been having some hot weather we have had a chance to break them in earlier than we thought. one surprise was the amount of black flies and mosquitoes the mesh jackets collect. had to use the dust buster to suck them out of the mesh!! close to two hundred of them one night!!:roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

Mcubed45
05-21-2015, 02:37 PM
When it gets above 105, we consider that "officially" hot, then the mesh jacket can't help. We just wait until late Sept., or early Oct to start riding again. 😁

Pennyrick
05-21-2015, 02:38 PM
L.L. Bean natural fit jeans ordered about a half inch longer so they are more comfortable on the Spyder. Usually just a tee shirt (with some neat motorcycle destination's name on it) over which we wear lightweight shirts made by Columbia sportswear. We find these at Bass Pro Shops in the fishing wear department. The block the sun's rays but are very cool and have long sleeves.

I wear leather gloves that are tight fit just like the motorcycle cops wear... my wife likes the ones with perforated backs that breathe more.

Frog Toggs go on top and bottom if it is cool in the mornings or if it looks like it may rain.

cuznjohn
05-21-2015, 02:42 PM
i put something on like this but in a 4 x size. very cooling where it counts
http://image.venusswimwear.com/is/image/Venus/Z58030-HBRD.20?$ProductPage527x738$

Cruzr Joe
05-21-2015, 02:45 PM
[QUOTE=cuznjohn;980236]i put something on like this but in a 4 x size. very cooling where it counts
http://image.venusswimwear.com/is/image/Venus/Z58030-HBRD.20?$ProductPage527x738$

Now that is a summer dress :thumbup:

spydaman60
05-21-2015, 02:45 PM
i put something on like this but in a 4 x size. very cooling where it counts
http://image.venusswimwear.com/is/image/Venus/Z58030-HBRD.20?$ProductPage527x738$"say big guy!" :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

jcthorne
05-21-2015, 02:46 PM
First Gear mesh jacket and mesh riding pants. Above 95 I add an evaporative cooling vest.

The jacket and pants are actually cooler than wearing shorts and a tee shirt. Because I am always in the shade and the air flows right through jacket and pants.

Bob Denman
05-21-2015, 02:47 PM
:D
But John... :shocked:
Where do you hide the insulin pump in that rig? :roflblack:

wyliec
05-21-2015, 02:55 PM
When it gets above 105, we consider that "officially" hot, then the mesh jacket can't help. We just wait until late Sept., or early Oct to start riding again. ��
With the relative humidity around 60% in August, why not an evaporative cooling vest with the mesh jacket? Never mind. I have a brother living in Vegas, and one time when I was out there it was in the 100 teens, and I don't think it would have been fun riding in that temp.

cuznjohn
05-21-2015, 03:05 PM
:D
But John... :shocked:
Where do you hide the insulin pump in that rig? :roflblack:

in my bra bob

Bob Denman
05-21-2015, 03:06 PM
At those temperatures; I might consider adding some SERIOUS lights up front, and riding only at night... :thumbup:

BajaRon
05-21-2015, 03:34 PM
First Gear mesh jacket and mesh riding pants. Above 95 I add an evaporative cooling vest.

The jacket and pants are actually cooler than wearing shorts and a tee shirt. Because I am always in the shade and the air flows right through jacket and pants.

Same here. Firstgear armored mesh jacket, armored mesh pants, mesh gloves and full face helmet. As long as you are moving you are cooler dressed this way than you are with T-Shirt, shorts and an open face helmet. Though no one believes me, I keep preaching it. There are several reasons for this. It isn't just my opinion.

Not only is it cooler but the fatigue factor is also reduced. Wearing ear protection also reduces rider fatigue and you can actually hear better. Another hard sell to many because it is counter-intuitive, just like the riding gear scenario.

Try this sometime. Wear a full face helmet in hot weather at speed. Ride long enough so that your body acclimates to the ambient temperature. Then open the face shield. It will feel like a blast furnace on your face! It will feel so much cooler when you close the face shield.

Orange Spyder Man
05-21-2015, 03:42 PM
only protect the skin you want to save.... in case of a crash... hot or otherwise

osm

Chupaca
05-21-2015, 04:32 PM
Heat away T, long shorts and cap..good sturdy jeans, good shoes (can't wear boots anymore) vented jacket and evaporative neck collar...works up to 117* then head for the coast wher it drops about 25*'s :thumbup: oh yeah...and a modular helmet...:ohyea:

jaherbst
05-21-2015, 05:23 PM

Same--sometimes just a wet t-shirt if it is over100-115 degrees, then a mad dash to the pool and dive in!

Jack

Bob Denman
05-21-2015, 06:20 PM
Jack,
I'm sorry to have to say this:
But the thought of you in JUST a wet Tee-Shirt... :shocked:

...isn't doing anything good to my appetite! :D

Bob Ledford
05-21-2015, 06:27 PM
you are luckier then we are as we have higher humidity by almost 90%

The
Same--sometimes just a wet t-shirt if it is over100-115 degrees, then a mad dash to the pool and dive in!

Jack

you are luckier then we are as we have higher humidity by almost 90

kep-up
05-21-2015, 09:33 PM
My kilt.......

Bob Denman
05-22-2015, 06:49 AM
:shocked: Do I dare ask???

Nope! :( :roflblack:

easysuper
05-22-2015, 09:13 AM
Mesh Jacket Mesh Pants , gloves,boots and modular Helmet , when it gets above the 90s a cooling vest, but dang Cuznjohns dress sure looks good.
Dress for the slide not the ride. No safety Sandles here.

jaherbst
05-22-2015, 09:33 AM
Jack,
I'm sorry to have to say this:
But the thought of you in JUST a wet Tee-Shirt... :shocked:

...isn't doing anything good to my appetite! :D

I know it scares old women and young children Bob. A mans gotta do what a mans gotta do!

Jack

Bob Denman
05-22-2015, 09:57 AM
:shocked: Please don't get me wrong: I'm SURE that you're a very attractive and masculine guy, who is deeply loved by his family and friends... :D :thumbup:

DrewNJ
05-22-2015, 03:24 PM

Bob Denman
05-22-2015, 04:45 PM
Why not just go for, "The Look"?

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=107929&stc=1

WEB-WVR
05-22-2015, 04:50 PM
I love the First Gear MeshTec Jackets and Mesh cargo pants. First choice ! :thumbup:

But due to old age and health issues I have packed on the pounds and nothing fits.....so I have resorted to a Wrangler Denim Jacket (going to get pockets for armor sewn into it) and Wrangler jeans.....not the best but better than nothing. :)

What you dont want to be is a SQUID = T-shirt, shorts and flip-flops ! :yikes:

donkes
05-22-2015, 05:55 PM
[QUOTE=cuznjohn;980236]i put something on like this but in a 4 x size. very cooling where it counts
http://image.venusswimwear.com/is/image/Venus/Z58030-HBRD.20?$ProductPage527x738$[/QUOTEt]

CherryBomb
05-22-2015, 11:24 PM
I love the First Gear MeshTec Jackets and Mesh cargo pants. First choice ! [emoji106]

But due to old age and health issues I have packed on the pounds and nothing fits.....so I have resorted to a Wrangler Denim Jacket (going to get pockets for armor sewn into it) and Wrangler jeans.....not the best but better than nothing. :)

What you dont want to be is a SQUID = T-shirt, shorts and flip-flops ! :yikes:
Unfortunately I can't say I haven't does this. But only for a few blocks. [emoji2]

Bob Ledford
05-23-2015, 05:31 PM
What do you wear, in particular jackets, in the heat of the summer to stay protected yet cool?

Mostly long sleeve very thin, sweat absorbing, mostisture wicking cloth t-shirts. Have a Fulmer mesh jacket with armor and removable jacket. A ICON safety vest"

denim jeans, hiking boots and genuine deer skin gloves?l

effgjamis
05-23-2015, 05:41 PM
wet towels,head, neck, one piece thermo suit with legs and sleeves tied, and filled with cool water.

now if you believe that then I can tell you anything

flaggerphil
05-23-2015, 05:53 PM
My Shoei RF-1100 helmet (a Scorpion half helmet if I'm riding in a parade on a really hot day), Tour Master Cruiser 2 gel gloves, jeans, hi-viz t-shirt (sometimes with my vest), sneakers. I don't wear a mesh jacket or boots because 1) I can't find a mesh jacket that fits and 2) I can't find decent boots that fit my mangled feet. The boots problem I don't worry about that much since I've gone to three wheels. But I can't find anyone who makes a good summer mesh jacket that will fit me.

Fat Baxter
05-23-2015, 10:41 PM
I live and ride in south central Alabama. Down here the humidity is a VERY large factor, especially on a fully faired machine like my BMW 1100RT or my 2014 RT-S Spyder. There's not enough air flow to make mesh jackets and pants a viable summer option, IMO (I've tried them). Did I say the humidity is worse in this part of the country?

Another factor is that artificial fibers, like the ever-popular Cordura, don't wick moisture. Double whammy. Cotton is better.

I won an evaporative vest at a rally. It's only good for 20-30 minutes, then it's a soggy, ambient-temperature layer of moderate discomfort. Stopping to re-soak the vest every 30 minutes kinda takes the fun out of a long ride. I hear they work well out West, where there's lots less humidity.

So my summer wear is a pair of Diamond Gusset Defender jeans with the kevlar lining in key areas (the cotton wicks away moisture). On my torso, I wear a thick cotton t-shirt under a Draggin' Jeans kevlar mesh shirt (plastic, Under Armor-type t-shirts don't work as well as cotton). There are no crash pads at elbows, etc., but I figure at least I'm minimizing the road rash if I go down.

I found a nice, cheap pair of tan deerskin gloves at Bass Pro Shop; the tan color doesn't suck as much heat from the sun as standard black gloves (hint, hint). Noticeable difference.

A vented Arai helmet and BMW boots round out the ensemble.

In the cooler season, I have a two-piece Aerostich Roadcrafter.

Bfromla
05-24-2015, 12:04 AM
SUNBLOCK & whatevers comfy. LoUiSiAna weather keeps you guessing & sweating i try to plan by the hour than the day fyi. &be somewhat approiate per destination but VERY casual. Jeans & bike boots standard attire fyi modular fullface w/sun screen additional (inside) visor, if i forget my shades, or bad time of day, NP:doorag:. Full rain gear in saddlebag (used too often here recently).