PDA

View Full Version : Elka Stage 1 shocks

wiredgeorge
05-21-2015, 08:48 AM
I bought a used set from a member and installed them yesterday. Note to self... buy a 6 point 15mm sock. A 12 point Harbor Freight socket sticks on the shock mount bolts to where you would think they are welded. I work on vintage bikes and most of the ones I work on don't require a 15mm socket so none of my good work socket sets have one. 14mm and 17mm but no 15 or 16....

Anyway, install was simple other than getting the bolt head to turn loose from my crappy socket. I have never had shocks with three adjusts as the Stage 1's have. Missus and I ride-two up mostly and I seldom ride alone and we are on the north side of 400 lbs combined. I haven't had a chance to read the manual completely and can't recall which springs are installed but if the springs are about average compression, what settings should I be looking for? If you weigh 98 lbs and ride solo, even guesses relative to a fat boy would be appreciated.

Tango
05-21-2015, 09:13 AM
I can't help you as I had mine installed at Spyderfest. John asked if I ride two up a lot. I told him yes, set them up that way and for our weight. Neither of us are light weights. :yikes: You best bet is to give John at Elka a call. He will advise you how to set them up. I think mine are set at 22 clicks. :dontknow: Tom :spyder:

wiredgeorge
05-21-2015, 01:07 PM
Took your advice and called John at Elka. It appears that the guy I bought the shocks from is a tad smaller than me. Total 2-up doesn't matter as much as the Spyder jockey's weight. I need a heavier set of springs. I ordered these from Pitbull a sec ago as mailing is cheaper than buying from Elka in Canada. Price for the beefier springs was less than I thought it would be as I have bought many sets of springs from Progressive in the past and they ain't cheap. Anyway, this site has been a lifesaver but also helping me slide into debtor's prison quickly. I think this will be the last ride related purchase and now am making forays into the exciting world of LEDs and floorboards. The nighttime visibility on my Spyder is underwhelming to say the least; especially from the side and I am too chunky to get my leg up over saddle easily with the missus parked on the back so those are the next direction. After that? Probably bluetooth as I was too dumb to ask if the Spyder had a radio before going 250 miles to pick it up hehe

Tango
05-21-2015, 04:21 PM
Glad you called John and got the right set up for you. :thumbup: Tom :spyder:

Empty Pockets
05-22-2015, 02:59 AM
I have a few questions as well What number did you use to get in touch with John?

wiredgeorge
05-22-2015, 07:51 AM
1-800-557-0552 - you will get their operator so ask for John in customer service. I suspect he is their most popular guy.

Bob Denman
05-22-2015, 07:58 AM
Anyway, this site has been a lifesaver but also helping me slide into debtor's prison quickly.

:D It's what we do best... :thumbup:
Please remember that the only two sure-fire cures for "farkleosis" are:
Bankruptcy,
or
Death at the hands of an enraged Spouse!

:shocked:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=dYHmQT_7a2c