PDA

View Full Version : Auxiliary cooling fan not coming on like it used to

TroyboyRn
05-20-2015, 11:33 AM
Hello. I have. A 2010 spyder rt-s se5 and have noticed my engine temp gauge running a bit higher than usual. Not in red but getting closer than I'm used to in city driving and it's only in the mid 50's right now. I topped of my coolant to the specified level per manual. When at highway speeds it drops appropriately. My question is of city driving in the past when I shut the engine off I used to hear a fan kick in for a period of time after I powered down. Now I don't. Any ideas why.

Of note: I did have the Tupperware off to install new front and rear speakers and changed the MAP Sensor hoses with what was recommended on this site to the same length as originals. Could I have pulled s connection apart, blew s fuse. Etc.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated. Thanks for your time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

finless
05-20-2015, 12:43 PM
Are you going above 5 bars on the left digital temp gauge? If you have the analog gauge it also should stay pretty much in the middle in city driving. If you going above that, then sound slike the fan got disconnected or something.

On my 2011 if I park and the digital temp gauge is at 5 bars, the fan will turn on when I shut down like you discribe.
If it is at 4 bars, it will not.

Bob

ARCTIC
05-20-2015, 01:32 PM
Make sure something isn't physically preventing the fan from turning like a rock or stick or something too

TroyboyRn
05-20-2015, 02:28 PM
Ok I checked the fan and it spins freely. I started the bike up and it runs fine but it does seem to warm up quicker than before. It is getting to 5 bars on the analog gauge. The last line before getting red. The fan is not kicking on!! I know it did in the past. I checked the fuse and it seems ok. Does anyone know where the auxiliary fan plug into the bike.? How do you find out if the relay switch in the fuse box is still good? I'll be taking the side Tupperware off after golf tonight to take a peak.
Thanks for any advise in advance

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

cuznjohn
05-20-2015, 03:01 PM
i would also check the fan relay to see if a wire popped off when you put the bike back together. pull the Tupperware and bring the bike up to temp. see if you hear the relay click, once you find it

TroyboyRn
05-20-2015, 03:20 PM
i would also check the fan relay to see if a wire popped off when you put the bike back together. pull the Tupperware and bring the bike up to temp. see if you hear the relay click, once you find it

Thanks for the advice. will give it a shot tonight. i am new to working on the spyder but am hell bent on learning. i am finally over the fear of the tupperware removal:yes:i would love to be able to trouble shoot and fix things myself. That being said i have the shop manual on disc and have been looking through it. I'm not quite sure what the fan relay looks like. am i just following the wire off the fan. i dont see any leaks nor i have in the past. I only have 9500 miles on the rt.

thanks again for your time.

cuznjohn
05-20-2015, 03:21 PM
good luck, i wish i could help more

TroyboyRn
05-20-2015, 03:35 PM
Just a thought. Does the spyder have a thermostat in the coolant system like a automobile? Besides the fan issue it seems as if the thermostat is staying closed when the engine warms up

finless
05-20-2015, 03:41 PM
Just a thought. Does the spyder have a thermostat in the coolant system like a automobile? Besides the fan issue it seems as if the thermostat is staying closed when the engine warms up

Sent you a PM with a little present from me.

Yes the Spyder has a thermostat but this should not have any effect on the fan working or not. The fan comes on based on temperature. A stuck thermostat sould make the Spyder warm up faster and possibly over heat even if the fan is running.

Bob