PDA

View Full Version : Key will not turn to release seat lock

auntketa
05-20-2015, 11:19 AM
I have a 2012 RT Limited. Just tried to open seat to attach a battery tender and the key will not turn to release the lock on the seat. :banghead:
Anyone else run into this problem? Dealer is 1 1/2 hours away. Would like to solve this without going in if possible. HELP!:pray:

Yfactor
05-20-2015, 11:22 AM
Did you push down and hold as you turn the key?

Bob Denman
05-20-2015, 11:24 AM
:agree: :dontknow:
If you did... the latch is located on the right front side of the seat. (Behind the knee pad area...
Some folks have been able to reach in there with a hook, and pop it open. :thumbup:

revjvegas
05-20-2015, 11:42 AM
Yup, mine did the same thing a while back.

Like the others have already said, either push down on the seat while trying to turn the key, or gently pull at the right side of the seat and fish a hook or long skinny screw driver in there to pop the latch.

Once I got mine open, I used some cable lube and worked the key for a while to free it up as mine was a sticky cable issue.

Careful too with the key, too much force and you might break it off in the cylinder.

Good luck.

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-20-2015, 11:51 AM
Do the push seat down thing and hopefully it will open........I was more concerned with breaking the KEY in the ignition so I used some Galavanized BENDING WIRE I bought at Home DEpot to wire open the seat latch by 95 %......The seat still stays closed but the seat can be opened by just pulling it open ( it's only slightly latched ).......I know someone will say ...well then they can steal your GAS :roflblack:......well thieves don't steal gas from Motorcycles ....I was a cop for 36 years and NEVER even heard of that happening......Plus a determined thief will just pull the seat flap back and break your seat......so make it easy and less expensive........plus you won't break your KEY........NOW THAT WILL BE REALLY EXPENSIVE .....Mike :thumbup:

Chupaca
05-20-2015, 12:27 PM
:agree: those that had this problem, more than once, added a manual pull or eliminated the latch all together. Try turnning the key both ways in case your going the wrong way, happens more than one thinks...let us know when you get the seat up and what happened....:thumbup: