PDA

View Full Version : Battery Tender Jr. and 2015 RT - Anything unique?

robhowen
05-20-2015, 09:05 AM
I've used BT Jr's on my bikes for years. I put a pig-tail on my +/- battery terminals on my new 2015 RT Ltd. Every time I plug in the BT the LED light on it stays green. I've never seen it turn red. With all of my other bikes it turns red, even if for only a moment, and then turns green. Is there anything unique about the RT battery that is incompatible with the BT Jr and is impacting it's sensing of battery condition? Perhaps the battery has never needed charging and all is okay. Any thoughts out there?

UPDATE MAY 22, 2015 - The BT Jr mentioned in this post is several years old, but worked just fine with my previous bikes. I switch to a quite new BT Jr that I had to see if I got different results. With this newer unit, it immediately went to RED (Charging) and within a few minutes went to FLASHING GREEN (nearly charged) and I'm guessing will go to FULL GREEN shortly. Again, I have no evidence that my old one was bad, but it sure appeared to not work well with the battery in my '15 RT.

Thanks to all of you for your replies and thoughts.

Rob

Bob Denman
05-20-2015, 09:08 AM
With my 2014; The ONLY time that I ever saw a yellow indicator, was when it had been off of the Tender for over a Month during this past Winter.
Within twenty minutes of plugging it in; we were back to green! :thumbup:
My opinion: I think that the 1200 watt alternator does a MUCH better job of keeping the battery up to snuff.

Cruzr Joe
05-20-2015, 09:11 AM
I've used BT Jr's on my bikes for years. I put a pig-tail on my +/- battery terminals on my new 2015 RT Ltd. Every time I plug in the BT the LED light on it stays green. I've never seen it turn red. With all of my other bikes it turns red, even if for only a moment, and then turns green. Is there anything unique about the RT battery that is incompatible with the BT Jr and is impacting it's sensing of battery condition? Perhaps the battery has never needed charging and all is okay. Any thoughts out there?

Eov

On my 2015 RTL i also use a Battery Tender Jr, the red light normally comes on for a few minutes then turns green, never had it just be green from the outset, can you try it on another battery to see if it turns red to statrt?

Cruzr Joe

robhowen
05-20-2015, 09:18 AM
Yes, this BT Jr will turn red momentarily when used on a different bike. I have several BT Jrs, so I'm going to try using a different BT Jr to see if I get a different result. I'm confident my pigtail is installed correctly as I double checked.
Rob

Marker
05-20-2015, 09:22 AM
I have a 2015 Rt and use a battery tender JR waterproof version and I sometimes see a yellow light then a green light but mostly green.

Cruzr Joe
05-20-2015, 09:24 AM
Yes, this BT Jr will turn red momentarily when used on a different bike. I have several BT Jrs, so I'm going to try using a different BT Jr to see if I get a different result. I'm confident my pigtail is installed correctly as I double checked.
Rob

If the pigtail is reversed you will continue to get a flashing red, just as you do if it was plugged into the wall but not on a battery.

Cruzr Joe

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-20-2015, 09:30 AM
1200 watt alternator , makes all the difference in the world.......IMHO......Mike :thumbup:

Marker
05-20-2015, 09:34 AM
1200 watt alternator , makes all the difference in the world.......IMHO......Mike :thumbup:

Mike you are absolutely correct. the charging system is way better now.

donkes
05-21-2015, 08:05 PM
No matter what, just remember to plug it in.

jar
06-11-2015, 12:08 PM
Just got my 2015 RT and want to hook up a Battery Tender JR. The instructions state to hook up the negative lead to the chassis only. Does anyone know a good spot? Hate to just play with it....expensive new bike:yikes:...thanks!