PDA

View Full Version : Color of farckle lights on bike?

Showie
05-19-2015, 09:43 AM
Am thinking of putting colored LED lights under passenger footpads. My questions is can I use red? My Spyder red and thought this would look good going down the road at night. I think this would make spyder more visable but understand that some states prohibit blue lights but not sure about red. Thanks for any info.

Chupaca
05-19-2015, 09:54 AM
a good start is check with the dmv in your area. Under glow may be permitted and having it switched gives you options. Though many will say it's for visability we all know it's for show first then perhaps visability. I find them distracting and annoying but thats jmo. You can get them in multicolor and have them change as you ryde. post some pic's when you get it set up...:thumbup:

Bob Denman
05-19-2015, 09:59 AM
:agree: Know your State's Motor Vehicle regulations regarding lights; before starting to run the wires... :D

ARtraveler
05-19-2015, 01:08 PM
I also agree with checking out the situation with the "locals."

Red & Blue can be an issue. Seeing either color from the front--may be an issue. I had blue glo ryders on my front wheels for a while and did not have any issues with the LEO's.

Red which can be seen from the rear should be okay.

WEB-WVR
05-19-2015, 01:22 PM
I also agree with checking out the situation with the "locals."

Red & Blue can be an issue. Seeing either color from the front--may be an issue. I had blue glo ryders on my front wheels for a while and did not have any issues with the LEO's.

Red which can be seen from the rear should be okay.

I agree...I think you are ok on the red. Blue and green are usually prohibited. Some jurisdictions will not allow the use of decorative lights such as under carriage glo (decorative) lights on the public road....but of course can be used at shows, etc. :thumbup:

Cruzr Joe
05-19-2015, 05:10 PM
From a different perspective, RED or BLUE are a NO-NO if they are going to be used on the public road. Other colors and placement may also be restricted. Check with your local Police, and write down that officers name so when you get a ticket you can summon him as your witness. Rots of Ruck :roflblack::roflblack::roflblack:

If they are for shows or parking lot enjoyment, most anything is permitted.

Cruzr Joe

BeRight
05-19-2015, 05:49 PM
In my area white front, amber sides and red rear and amber for blinkers. Under bike lightning are off road only.

samewok
05-19-2015, 05:55 PM
Ground effects are ok in some states but you can not use red,blue or aqua.

bruiser
05-19-2015, 06:33 PM
There has been much discussion on this. It all depends on the state motor vehicle code. The general consensus voiced by some concerning red and or blue does not apply to all jurisdictions. For instance, here in North Carolina red and blue are allowed as long as the lights are not forward facing. I have Wiredux RGBs under my RT. I sometimes run red or blue without any problems. Came home one night last week with the blues on slow strobe, passed a deputy going the other way. He didn't turn around.

Bottom line, check with the State DMV in person. Get a copy of the code. Good luck.

CanAmChris
05-19-2015, 06:43 PM
Am thinking of putting colored LED lights under passenger footpads. My questions is can I use red? My Spyder red and thought this would look good going down the road at night. I think this would make spyder more visable but understand that some states prohibit blue lights but not sure about red. Thanks for any info.Here is a link to the Washington state VEHICLE LIGHTING AND OTHER EQUIPMENT laws:http://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=46.37&full=trueIt is pretty vague. I know here in PA, most police don't know what is legal or not, except that you can't have red or blue lights on the front lighting of any civilian vehicle.

Dragonfly
05-19-2015, 09:03 PM
Was informed by Virginia State Police that lights are Federal Regulated and they sent me here http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=8365fa10c3ed11e69301e11f27a76f66&node=pt49.6.571&rgn=div5
Also keep in mind that having colored accent lighting (Not flashing) is not a moving violation ever seen some of these 18 wheelers makes me jealous just thinking about all those lights

BLUEKNIGHT911
05-19-2015, 10:46 PM
Was informed by Virginia State Police that lights are Federal Regulated and they sent me here http://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/text-idx?SID=8365fa10c3ed11e69301e11f27a76f66&node=pt49.6.571&rgn=div5
Also keep in mind that having colored accent lighting (Not flashing) is not a moving violation ever seen some of these 18 wheelers makes me jealous just thinking about all those lights

:agree:.......Dragonfly beat me to the answer on this. As long as your lights conform to Safety related lighting you are covered per the FED regs.....No matter what the locals may think...........But be smart about it ......Not smart mouthed .....:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:.....Mike